Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] What or how did rp come to you? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] What or how did rp come to you? (/showthread.php?tid=20893)

Pages: 1 2 3

What or how did rp come to you? - Whale - 11-05-2017

Hi, so let me explain cause im not good with wording myself haha... Yeah. 

Anyway i recently became a little curious bout this sort of thing and i always loved good stories and the like. As you may or not imagine that i was a little curious when i found out what rp means and what you do. So i wanted to ask you peeps what brought you to role-playing out games or why you do so. 

On a sorta different note, my curiosity is so strong that i bothered to make an account just for this question. This is also my first time posting in anything fourm-like...i think?Moogle(also, im gonna use these emoji cause they cute. i have no self control).Tonberry

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Asyria - 11-05-2017

To make a long story short, I went from make-believe to Choose Your Own Adventure books, to D&D, to MMORPGs in which I found people were roleplaying.

Tonberry ftw

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Teadrinker - 11-06-2017

Well, it started out many many moons ago when I was like 12 on an anime message board.

I wish I was kidding but yeah. It was pretty organic. Folk just started chatting and emoting little actions at each other with astaricks. It was typically stuff like using squirtguns or throwing pies.

Through that it became clear that different folk clearly had different personalities and traits. Characters started to take shape. Different characters developed different habits over where they liked to hang out or sleep. Some liked just hanging out and chilling, some liked freeform sparring DBZ style, some liked cooking etc. I personally had the one that chilled in the rafters. Don't give me that look.

Folks bedrooms started appearing and suddenly apparently there was a living room and kitchen. The one day the Papa Bear dad character emoted building a house for everyone and that's where they all lived Tenchi Muyo style.

Are you cringing yet.

Anyway, then things got complicated. Folks characters started trying to date. This went about as well as you can expect with a bunch of kids behind the keyboards. Place gigantic dumpster fire emoji here.

Round about this time everyone knew each other OOCly even though none of us knew wtf OOC meant. It was just "Oh that's X and he lives in Y and his dad's in jail." and stuff like that. People kept in touch via AIM and Yahoo messengers. It was considered 'cheating' to talk over them while posting on the message board.

Did I mention I was 12? Good. Ok.

People wrote a lot of stories and fanfictions about all the characters hanging out together but they would do really cringy stuff like make X and Y break up in their story and insert Z into the mix. Villains appeared and boy were they one dimensional mustache twirlers. A lot seemed based off Sephiroth.

Anyway, that's how I first started RPing. Quite by accident by emoting throwing pies.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Arashin Kujqai - 11-08-2017

Tbh, I'm not 100% sure how I found RP... All these years in mmo's or games where I could customize my character, I just immersed myself into the game enough. I'd usually follow the main story(if there was one) and then on the side I'd imagine scenarios my character would get into or would be involved in. Eventually I kept doing this enough to where I started writing a bit and even having commissions made based on images in my head I formed off it all. At some point, some game I believe had dedicated RP servers and that's possibly when I realized it was a thing that people do.

Might've been Tera but I wanna say it was before that in some other game. I didn't really get into RP in Tera though at all like I do in FFXIV. When I came to this game and discovered there's this tag that says RP, and I asked.... Suddenly my first month or two, I kept it on all the time and some people would walk up to me RP'ing and others would ask why I had it on. I had never realized this was such a thing and then foudn out there's whole servers dedicated(unofficially of course) to things like this. I guess I wanna say I discovered RP myself through my own imagination and then games showing me "yeah! it's a thing!".

Then over time of playing here, did I develop a sense of wanderlust for all of it's lore, and started writing MUCH more intensely. I started to get a feel for the universe, how to talk different ways, write different ways... I mean I always loved seeing lore in mmo's prior to this (Aion prolly being the first?) but I hadn't met an mmo yet that let you take all the information and apply it to acting out characters you make or writing. So I guess now I RP and love FFXIV now because.... IT'S A THING!. I get to put my imagination in public and others can actually interact with it like it's real... Maybe it's just me playing imagination as a kid again but it doesn't ever feel like it.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - ɴᴘᴄ - 11-08-2017

(11-05-2017, 10:26 PM)Asyria Wrote: To make a long story short, I went from make-believe to Choose Your Own Adventure books, to D&D, to MMORPGs in which I found people were roleplaying.

Seconded. After MMORPG i went back to tabletop, though. Bomb

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Yandros - 11-08-2017

(11-05-2017, 10:26 PM)Asyria Wrote: To make a long story short, I went from make-believe to Choose Your Own Adventure books, to D&D, to MMORPGs in which I found people were roleplaying.

Replace D&D with things like Shadowrun and White Wolf....and yeah, that's me.  Toss in a mild obsession with fantasy books when I was younger, and there you go.

Though I completely kept my table-top rpg habit.  Currently playing GURPS, Honor + Intrigue, and Savage RIFTS.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Zanther - 11-08-2017

I've done some DnD in the past and have done (to my slight shame lol) LARPing with my friend and brother in our backyards over the course of nearly 10 years (we slowed down the last 4) and once I started in 14 I had seen lots of rp'rs on Balmung. Sadly, I was not able to get into rping in 1.0 cause of my **** computer. It wasn't until just a few months before Heavensward before I jumped into the fray (I had done some minor rping for a few months before) and have been off and one in the rp world since (more on my alt then main lol...main is looking for a good rp FC again).

But ya, it was watching people on my server rp and drove me to want to join up with them. Glad I have for the most part Smile

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Eses Fafa - 11-08-2017

In 2007, I started WoW and joined Steamwheedle Cartel because it read 'Roleplay' when I was joining my first server. I was curious about it in the hopes that it added more immersion, and one day while I was in a guild, some person asked me if I wanted to roleplay. I was like 'it's new to me but sure!'.

My tauren druid walked with some undead lass through Hillsbrad discussing politics, and I suddenly gained an urge for more over time.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Zhavi - 11-08-2017

I was always writing stories, even as a little girl. In middle school, I started really wanting to share my love of writing with my friends, but though my friends supported my love of writing and reading, none of them really liked to write. So I started looking online for people to talk to about writing, and learned about collaborative stories, and from there, rp.

I stumbled into a MUD in the early 2000s, and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be around people who felt the same love of writing I did, and to share stories and characters together. I was lucky, I suppose, in that I found a lot of people to admire and look up to, and learn from in terms of how to construct plot and characters. As well, it lead me to meeting some absolutely fascinating people. At the time, my mother was convinced that rapists and serial killers lurked online behind every corner (and that roleplaying lead to satanism and moral corruption, thanks to some news stories about DnD related murders), so it took some determination and cleverness to continue to rp. In a way, I think that made me love it even more.

But from game to game, setting to setting, through real life trials and business, ups and downs, even past my own moments of introversion and solitude, what drives me to rp is the same thing that brought me to it: my absolute adoration for writing -- for building stories and characters -- and sharing that love with other people who feel it, too.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Edric W. - 11-08-2017

I got wasted one night, logged into the RP server of TERA and accidentally wandered into an RP event. I was just talking normally, but they must've thought I was RPing. Made a friend there, and she got me into it.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Eyrilona Wistmoenwyn - 11-08-2017

FFXIV is actually the first game I seriously RP'd in. However, I preferred playing on RP servers in MMO's, as the community often made the server feel alive and added to the atmosphere. Granted, I did do some Harry Potter forum RP over 10 years ago when I was much younger.

Anyways, one day I was randomly wandering the server bored when I saw a shout notification for an RP event, and thought 'Screw it, I'm gonna go check it out.' I basically improv'd my character's personality and backstory on the spot, and had a blast with what came to mind. And now I've been hooked ever since!

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Marisa - 11-09-2017

Back in 2007, I was made my first Horde alt in WoW. Joined a guild called "We RP in bed". Had no idea what RP was at the time. I asked, they explained. Slightly later on, tried to join the WoW RP community. Absolute trash. Nothing but circle-jerking drama queens with no coherent stories. Then Warhammer: Age of Reckoning came out, and I decided I'd try again. Joined the most amazing Dark Elf rp group. Had a guy who RP'd as my Goblin slave, absolutely hilarious dude. Still miss him today. Took a break from it when WAR went to shit, played some more WoW, then found you guys a couple years ago and I've been here since!

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Gegenji - 11-09-2017

(11-08-2017, 09:17 PM)Eyrilona Wistmoenwyn Wrote: FFXIV is actually the first game I seriously RP'd in.

This is actually true for me as well - at least for MMOs. I mean, all my characters in other MMOs sort of had a... story background in my head? Like my Night Elf Hunter was actually blind and used his animal companion and his other senses to actually hunt. Or, even earlier, I gave names to my Necromancer's minions in Everquest. But FFXIV was the first MMO where I actually actively sought to seek out RP and RP interactions.

I specify MMOs specifically because I've done tabletop RPGs and the like since 2e DnD (aka, the Wonders of THAC0). The earlier ones were just, like... me with fantasy stats (as I figure many first-time characters are, especially if you were elementary school age like I was), but over time I've thought up and sometimes even got to play many different character ideas.

What's funny is that I think the seed got put into my head in... third grade, I want to say? I had a sort of after-school daycare thing I used to go to on the regular where we'd hang out and play Sonic Spinball on the Genesis and the like... but one of the counselors did this creative storytelling thing where she told this grand adventure with us kids as the heroes. She'd use stuff we had on us to explain how we solved problems and sometimes even prompted us for solutions. I don't think we ever "finished" the adventure, but that sort of fantasy-group-storytelling thing is what I think made me jump on the idea of joining a DnD game a couple years later.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Asyria - 11-09-2017

(11-08-2017, 03:46 PM)ɴᴘᴄ Wrote:

Seconded. After MMORPG i went back to tabletop, though. Bomb

Yeah, I never left tabletop. Tongue

I'm even streaming a campaign I run on roll20.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - C'kayah Polaali - 11-10-2017

It all started with D&D for me, back in Jr. High. My characters were fairly standard tropes for a nerd in Jr. High - I had a lot of "powerful" wizards, etc.

Around that time I started getting into writing, as well. Short stories, mostly. That ended up feeding back into my RP, in the sense that I started getting into making characters who were not just power projection fantasies for my 12 year old self. That started an on and off love affair with pen and paper RPGs that's continued to this day.

In the mid 90s I discovered MUDs (yes, I'm old). My favorite was AmberMush, which had a decent number of really good RPers and writers on it, and was also interesting because everything in it was player created - everyone could create persistent objects in the game.

Then came MMOs. Eve Online, at first. Despite the reputation, Eve has (had? I haven't played in years) a good RP community. It didn't hurt that I was absolutely in love with the game's PVP model, to the extent that I haven't been able to get into PVP in most other MMOs at all. I RPed in LOTRO (I'm a Tolkien nut), Star Trek Online, STTOR, EQ2, etc.

Which led, almost accidentally, to FFXIV. Some non-RPing friends got me into it, and I made an alt on Balmung to check out the RP community. Years later I'm still here, still RPing, and enjoying the RP community (in general) more than most.