Hydaelyn Role-Players
My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: My impression on fxiv and the rp community (/showthread.php?tid=20911)

Pages: 1 2

My impression on fxiv and the rp community - V'raht - 11-09-2017

So this isn't a bashing of the game at all I actually have quite enjoyed the gameplay aspect of it for my short time playing but after a short time I find myself thinking of cancelling my subscription to the game for one reason the community. Now don't get wrong I have found some really nice players while trying different classes and races out but from my experience and not to say everyone has this experience the community especially in the rp scene has been very bad for me. Let me explain I tried out a male miqo'te first fine enough but everywhere I looked there was miqo'te. Now nothing wrong with that they look cool so I decided to try something different. Went with a roegadyn which was pretty cool even took up tanking and was enjoying it but as far as people went all I would get is told I'm compensating for something or I would go to a rp hub to try and find a good rp and someone would try to pick a fight with him for absolutely no reason. So decided to reroll because I didn't have a Fantasia to a lalafell boy was that a mistake I couldn't even show screenshots of my character without getting some kind of grief just for wanting to play a race. I mean I've played other MMOs where the community was toxic but I have never seen one where the in game bias against a game race was just so disturbing. It honestly makes me want to go to a server where the rp is not big at all just so I don't have to deal with all that. However I have found myself once again feeling discouraged from playing my character and I know what some might say just ignore it. You would be right however when it's constant or can't even join a fc without some kind of grief it just makes me not to want to log in anymore. I don't know if I'm gonna wind up canceling my subscription or not but from my observation sadly this game is quickly becoming not for me if I can't even play a race without getting grief or harassed for it

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - ExAtomos - 11-09-2017

I am sincerely hoping some good Mateus folks will swoop in and help you out. It sounds like you encountered people who just want to grief others instead of actually rping. Find a good FC and LS, they will help a lot.

eta: I play a Hellsguard and a Plainsfolk Lalafell with few issues. While my Lala has struggled here and there with the wrong people trying to make him the butt of their jokes, I moved on to better crowds and no longer worry about that sort of thing. My Hellsguard has never had any issues (besides being hit on lol).

It may help too to make a character that you love and stick with it. Good rp will come your way. ^^

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - RavieRaptor - 11-09-2017

Yes OP! This is how I've been feeling too! I've been rping on Balmung since 2.0 and used to get lots of RP till the last few years (Around Heavensward). Now I get ignored or alienated for playing a straight miqo'te girl and a straight midlander hyur lady.

I've been stretching my neck out till practically ripping it off to try to find RP, it was like pulling teeth. No one was interested whatsoever. It's ridiculous and no one should judge us for our characters. 

I'm sorry for ranting, but this is why I've also been considering cancelling my sub. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this!

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Zhu - 11-09-2017

As far as this game is concerned I never hada good experience with random RP. Ever. I have the luck of beign in a good LS and an inclusive FC but outside of that it's been garbage. It's not just you having an hard time.

I've been told not to RP my character, harassed on the forum\tumblr etc by some very bad people. And out there it's mostly fetish characters that somehow decided to take time off the quicksand to give me some grief.

My advice is to find a small bubble of the community that accepts you andstick with them.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Warren Castille - 11-09-2017

Regarding "The community."

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with people judging you based on your race in-game. However, I think I speak for most level-headed roleplayers when I say this: Those assholes do not represent the overall community. Yes, I see the irony in these sentences.

Don't give up, that's the best advice I've got. It can be demoralizing to feel like an outcast from the get-go, but believe me on this... Random RP is exactly that: Random. Hit up some of the posted events and you'll eventually find some you click with. It's kind of like going to a bar on any given night, you know? There's not always a good crowd depending on when you swing by.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-09-2017

(11-09-2017, 09:02 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: Now I get ignored or alienated for playing a straight miqo'te girl and a straight midlander hyur lady.

Nothing wrong with either of those - though it might help to think of toons as people, rather than archetypes and categories. Meaning, the old improv question - instead of just preference/race/gender, what's their name, background, life experiences, goals? What are they pretty good at and what motivates them? What monsters have they fought or places have they traveled to in Hydaelyn? Do you keep track of every game/story experience you consider IC for them? And so on. These are the types of bog-standard questions I ask my players when they ask me to DM events or tabletop for them.

As for the rest, dumb aggro twats and weirdly bigoted cliques will always exist in any online environment. You're not required to acknowledge them or seek their validation, just block and move on. I don't blame anyone for seeking a positive JRPG-styled RP experience or relationship, but you're not going to find it by sitting in taverns and towns. Get out into the world, live a character, experience stuff IC with a few good folks. FC optional, though there are a couple of pretty good themed FCs / communities out there.

Worry less about getting the approval of strangers, and focus on material ingame goals that make you happy. That satisfaction tends to bleed over into character confidence and RP, I find.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Lydia Lightfoot - 11-09-2017

(11-09-2017, 09:02 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: Yes OP! This is how I've been feeling too! I've been rping on Balmung since 2.0 and used to get lots of RP till the last few years (Around Heavensward). Now I get ignored or alienated for playing a straight miqo'te girl and a straight midlander hyur lady.

I've been stretching my neck out till practically ripping it off to try to find RP, it was like pulling teeth. No one was interested whatsoever. It's ridiculous and no one should judge us for our characters. 

I'm sorry for ranting, but this is why I've also been considering cancelling my sub. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this!

I play a straight halfie mid/high hyur and I get lots of RP (and almost none of it is people trying to get in her pants). I'd say that's not a reason why you aren't getting RP. Maybe you're just getting bad luck and ending up finding players who aren't a good match for your interests? You're welcome to  come check out what my guild has going on, if you'd like.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - V'raht - 11-09-2017

I appreciate the positive feedback I been getting. I did wind up deciding to cancel my subscription. I get it that its not all of the community but honestly I was really put off when trying to find a good fc or linkshell that I was presented with nothing but judgement. I don't really have time to deal with that when I have other games sitting on my computer that I haven't touched where I don't have to deal with the nonsense. Anyway thanks for the fun FFXIV and all I'm off to do other things. Smile ciao

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Valde - 11-10-2017

Just going to throw this out there in case anyone reads this thread and takes it as the state of things, especially on Mateus, I want to point out that this is not a common thing. I'm sorry to hear that the OP was bugged to the point that they felt harassed but I can only wonder what sorts they were interacting with to get that response.

Mateus has a great community hub on Discord with many encouraging people, helpers, mentors, and knowledgeable lore individuals. It's also a great place to find RP events and new RP partners. 

If you're new to Final Fantasy 14 and have found these forums, or are just new to Mateus and are searching for a community hotspot to meet new people and make friends, or find an FC, please be sure to check us out.

Discord Invite Link:
https://discord.gg/uW4UF8H

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Asyria - 11-10-2017

Unpopular Opinion: Maybe it's not the What you're playing, but the How you're playing it that is attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Personal Experience: I have never have or seen that kind of race-specific reaction. This is a strong case of YMMV, I guess.

Head-shaking Statement: He left anyway...

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - S'imba - 11-10-2017

Well it really sucks you had so much negativity, and I admit there's a good amount of toxic people out there, but they're are still usually in the minority. You're probably not likely to find much deep rp in the quicksand. It happens but it's not common. Events can help make connections. Best way to make meaningful connections I've found is just to be active on the forums here. Getting into a discord is always helpful. Having a way to advertise your character is good too cause it can give people hooks. 

As for the race problems. I can imagine Roe do get people wanting to fight them a lot cause people want to prove how tough their characters are. Simb'a tries fighting Xaela cause he wants to prove himself every bit as good as these so called ferocious warriors. 

Lalafell I know do get a bad rap and have a lot of struggles with a lot of negative stigma. Though I do love rping with them when they're done as a serious character cause they are just interesting to me. 

But yeah if you've unsubscribed this is probably moot, but if you ever do give it another shot just some things I've discovered.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Caspar - 11-11-2017

(11-09-2017, 09:02 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: Yes OP! This is how I've been feeling too! I've been rping on Balmung since 2.0 and used to get lots of RP till the last few years (Around Heavensward). Now I get ignored or alienated for playing a straight miqo'te girl and a straight midlander hyur lady.

I may be wrong, but I believe these aren't the same RP characters from 2.0, no? I think you've changed characters many times.
If you have been swapping characters a lot hoping to strike gold, it will become difficult to get others attached to them. Simply trying to RP what you think others will like, I feel, will inevitably become unsatisfying to you in this way. No one will have time to get to know or invest in your character, you won't become attached to them in return. This can even get costly if you're prone to buying Fantasia to reroll your RP character whenever you wonder why they don't attract RP. 
But I've discussed this on here before, and I think people looking for an excuse to leave the server, or even the game, will find one one way or another. It all depends on your will to continue, or maybe grow as a player/RPer.

But as for OP, I don't regret rolling Lalafell. It's kinda meaningless seeing as you already made your choice, but I never picked this race because I felt it would be easy to play, or popular. It fit the character concept I cared about, and I committed to it. Sometimes it gets lonely because few people have an interest in running a Lalafell, let alone one that's more than a gag character or an alt, but I recognize that not everyone is going to respect my concept, or my choice of character race. The amount of times I hear "I tend to not want RP with Lalafell, except yours" (And any number of variations I've heard: "they're too silly," "I like to broadbrush them as creeps and trolls," they're too unrealistic in this highly realistic fantasy setting.") is discouraging, but also flattering. You take the bad with the good. If I've made a good impression, and I've managed to entertain, ultimately I don't want anything else than that.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - Mermaid - 11-11-2017

I understand the discrimination against OP's races. I don't agree with it but I understand it. "I'm sick of seeing Miqo'te." "Hyur are boring." "Lalafell are jokes." I'm sure we've all heard stuff like that. They're poor reasons but at least they're reasons

This what I don't understand. Why are your characters' sexual orientations so significant? I don't understand what the problem is unless you're specifically looking for romance? Now I've only RPed here a few times so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I have a cis, straight, monogamous, female Au Ra and I didn't even think to mention any of that in the information I have up on her. The few people who've RPed with me have never asked her sexual orientation nor have they tried to do any sort of romance or sex related RP. To be fair, I haven't gotten a lot of RP, heck, I haven't even had someone ask me to RP with them again. I'm 99% certain, however, that has to do with me not putting myself out there and has nothing to do with a detail that I've listed nowhere and nobody's even bothered to ask about.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - maoilmhin - 11-17-2017

Wow, I'm a bit shocked.   My experience has been almost the polar opposite.   I guess I just got lucky?  Or maybe it is because I stay away from Drowning Wench and QuickSand.  That isn't to say my characters haven't run across an IC jackass here and there.   *shrug* that's IC tho.

RE: My impression on fxiv and the rp community - shotgunbadger - 11-17-2017

For whatever it's worth the only 'issues' I've had as a Lala player is the occasional creepy PM and all. It really kinda sounds like the core issue here comes from feeling like you have some kinda requirement to change characters to fit a trend or something? I don't really understand that to be honest. I'm not surprised those characters aren't fun to play if you just made them because you think you need an x character that does y?