Hydaelyn Role-Players
Legitimacy of some of my ideas. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Legitimacy of some of my ideas. (/showthread.php?tid=20945)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Legitimacy of some of my ideas. - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-14-2017

(11-14-2017, 06:10 AM)Ymyrha Wrote: Hello! I just recently joined the website, and I've come up with some lore tidbits for Y'myrha that I thought I'd get some public opinion on before attempting to legitimately implement them.

Firstly, I don't know if there's any clarification on where the Jaguar (Y) tribe is in-game. Because of this, I've assumed that there's probably a few different fragments of the established tribes, that may live in separate areas. With this decision, I've taken the liberty of giving Y'myrha's fragment of the tribe some special customs and practices.

Y'myrha's sect of the tribe is very old fashioned and traditional, where they're vagrants who never settle down in the same location for long. They travel around the La Noscean areas.

Her tribe's most unique custom is the fact that all of their dead are cremated. The reason for this being, there are a select few individuals within her tribe that are chosen at birth to be dancers of a special kind. Although the dancers are primarily female, male ones are not unheard of, simply less common. A child is selected at birth to be this dancer based on one criteria: that their eyes are purple. Purple eyes are simply a hereditary trait that they've come to believe indicates that they've been chosen to be a dancer; it has no actual special powers with it.

To further expound on why all of their dead are cremated, it's because these dancers (called Y'lhat by their tribe) are given the ashes, chosen by the departed's immediate family. Once the ashes are given to the them, a ceremony is set up to take place a few days later, and the Y'lhat gives the departed a farewell dance, because it's believed that the dance gives them one last little joy before they're truly gone.

Otherwise, I was considering giving her some knowledge about white magic. I remember reading a lore tidbit somewhere, involving a conversation with Koji Fox, saying that it was possible for individuals to learn white magic outside of the Padjali ranks. However, it was exceptionally rare for such things to happen, and the practitioner would have to be very secretive about it much like black magic users should be secretive.

I won't lie, I've always wanted to make a character who could use white magicks. I was always afraid to implement this idea because of potential community backlash, especially since it used to be highly frowned upon.

However, that's not to say she would be running around casting Holy or anything like that. Her knowledge wouldn't be expansive—she'd have knowledge of some of the more basic abilities, primarily healing, because of a few different reasons involving her character and her story. I also wouldn't have her go around, carelessly telling anyone and everyone that she knows such things. I value discretion, and want it to be something that's found out about only later on through good character development with others. I thought I'd get community opinion on the idea anyway, just to err to the side of caution.

If you read all of this, thank you kindly! I look forward to the possible feedback from others!

http://aeriktirel.tumblr.com/post/165092335085/so-i-got-to-meet-koji-at-pax-west-he-signed-my

Quote:“I know White Mage lore is super restrictive about who is and isn’t allowed to use White Magic. That said, is there any way a non-Padjal who isn’t the Warrior of Light can become one?”
Koji-Fox: “The answer to that is complicated - because from the perspective of the Padjal, the official answer to that is ‘No, absolutely not.’

That being said, discarded Soul Crystals are definitely something one would find if say, they explored the ruins of the Lost City of Amdapor or other Amdapori ruins. And with enough practice and research, someone could conceivably learn White Magic. The Padjal keep the knowledge but that doesn’t mean they hold every scrap of information on the art. The Sharlayans certainly would have some tucked away, and there’s certainly some scattered around in those previously mentioned Amdapori ruins.

So yeah, are there are non-Padjal, non-Warrior of Light White Mages lurking around Eorzea in the shadows? Absolutely. Some use their knowledge for evil, and some want to use the art of healing for good. However, they are not granted their power via the Padjal.”

RE: Legitimacy of some of my ideas. - Valence - 11-15-2017

On the motherly figure, Gridanian Conjury could actually fit the bill pretty well for the simple reason that the main gridanian deity is the Matron, Nophica. She's the mother of nature and fertility (vegetals, animals, everything).

On White Magic Kieron has already quoted what I had in mind. Succor/White Magic isn't that much harder than a lot of other jobs to get into. Scattered soulstones exist and are probably found in Amdapori ruins, or maybe sold for fortunes over black/shady markets and whatnot. Much like gems of Shattoto, or some other soul crystals. 

Generally to access a job skills and knowledge, you have several options, and some may be closed depending on the art:

- Legal and approved training under an official authority, being the keeper of said art. Probably the "easier" since as long as your character qualifies and pass whatever trials or tests there is, they will be teached by mentors. And it's the most lore friendly. For example, the Padjals, but they won't teach anyone else than their own (and the WoL). This therefore excludes WhM from that method. For example, it's a very good way to explain a Samurai background, or a Ninja background, for Hingan or Doman characters without too much hassle, or even Warrior for a Hellsguard, since those jobs are well alive and active, and teached to suitable characters. 

- Some jobs like MCH are brand new, and will be taught to pretty much everyone, while some lost jobs like bard are being re opened right now, beign taught to specific people (in the case of bards, to Serpent Adders). This works pretty similarly to the above, except that since the job is super new or just rediscovered, it means that nobody has a lot of experience and years of practice. Everyone is learning from scratch or the first few pioneers like Stephanivien (MCH). 

- Legal or illegal training under a mentor, repository of the art. This is the case for a majority of jobs in the lore. Most jobs have been forgotten entirely except by a few scholars and a lot of jobs tend to just re emerge when the WoL stumbles on them. This is the case for Bard or Red Mage, or Black Mage for example. Those are jobs that got eradicated or disappeared entirely, except for one or two individuals, like those NPC trainers. It directly implies to be taught by a famous NPC, and can imply a certain level of special snowflakism if we're to call it that way. Being taught by X'runh Tia or especially Jehantel, is... assuming they would teach your character, and/or have the time to.

- Self taught training because the only repositories left are books and/or soul crystals. This is especially mentionned in the Red Mage quests, where it is made mention of Red Magic repositories of knowledge held in Ishgard, and Sharlayan. This is probably the most widespread way of learning a job, since it can apply to most of them. But it is also the one the most on the fringes of lore, dealing with a lot of unknowns. It also is the most "patchy" way of learning since books are just books, and the knowledge is probably far from complete and you will have to search for those books all around arcane libraries and blurbs and archaeology (cf the monolith in the Peaks for RDM) or whatever you fancy. Or for the case of a soulstone, filling the requirements for the soulstone to open to you and share its knowledge, and they rarely share everything at once, just bits when it thinks you are ready. Your character would probably be a lot less proficient at the art than one properly trained.

- The excuse of a hidden community where knowledge of the art has been kept and your character is somehow conveniently part of it, or trained by it. It's the most easy one to resort to, but it's a bit like the dark side: it's easy, it's fast, and it's.... totally out of the lore. It doesn't mean it goes against it per se, and if it goes against the spirit of the lore or not is up for debate, it just sits out of the lore. It's not just world building, but essentially creating your own source of a certain lost or forbidden art.

tl;dr: all jobs can be explained. A tiny amount will be accessible through proper training and schools, a bigger amount will be accessible through a few or a lone survivor of the art (a famous NPC), and the majority will be accessible through the very hard way of learning yourself by finding whatever scraps you can about it.