Hydaelyn Role-Players
Best RP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Best RP Server (/showthread.php?tid=20946)

Best RP Server - Tistan - 11-14-2017

Which server has the best RP community in terms of friendliness, maturity, plots/stories, and population. I know this is mostly an opinion question but just trying to get a feel. I have a few characters on balmung but its just so populated that most of the time I just feel lost.

RE: Best RP Server - Y'myrha - 11-14-2017

I definitely feel as though which community is the "best" is subjective.

I'll preface this by saying that I've spent almost all of my time on Balmung, although I did a brief stint on Gilgamesh for a while. I've never been on Mateus.

Unfortunately, all roleplaying communities tend to be a mixed bag. My interactions on Balmung scarcely varied from my interactions on Gilgamesh: you had your people who were fantastic, sincere people who were a ton of fun, but you also had people who only sought to stir up trouble and cause problems for everyone else. It's a regrettable thing about roleplaying communities across the board, almost universally on any website or game, and even then it's not isolated to just roleplaying communities. It's just about any community you go to.

My personal advice would be to get to know some of the people on the forum, perhaps. Either that, or spend some time playing on each server, and see which one clicks best with you. Whichever server you find is easier to fit yourself into regarding the players, ease of access finding roleplay you're comfortable with, and other things like that. I doubt any one person on this website could truly tell you which one is "best," because like you mentioned, it's all largely opinionated. You simply have to feel around and find which one makes you the most comfortable, whether it's Balmung's densely populated streets and zones, or something smaller and more calm, like I personally imagine Mateus being.

RE: Best RP Server - Ryslo Suramlo - 11-14-2017

I don't think there is a 'Best' server. There seems to be growing RP on multiple servers now and unofficially Balmung and Mateus seem to be the larger hubs for it. Though I have see posts about Jenova, Phoenix and such recently. Honestly, I think most of us have homes and those have become our preferences but aside from that it really just boils down to the interactions you can harvest and the reactions people give your attempts. Guess that's true in most things we do. You put greater effort into something you'll end up having a better experience.

RE: Best RP Server - Varinh - 11-14-2017

I honestly feel as though asking for the "best" server sounds like you're intentionally trying to start a server war in the thread. If the intention is not to troll, I suggest changing the thread to something like "What's your recommended Rp server?"

Mateus is notably smaller in RP density than Balmung, but that's also partially credited to the smaller size of the server when compared to Balmung. Both servers have thriving communities, with similar and dissimilar people within it. I believe the best server for you would be whatever one you happen to make friends with, so keep that in mind and give both an honest try. Be sure to be outgoing and approachable - being a wallflower can only work for so long before you get lonely, and no matter where you go [if that's the root of your problem] being shy makes things super difficult. I ignore my shyness and blunder into new communities as often as I can, otherwise I'd never get any RP.

RE: Best RP Server - Zhavi - 11-14-2017

You feel lost.

Out of the small bit of information you gave, that's the bit that matters to this discussion. Whenever someone asks for the best server/community/rp niches, they're looking for examples from other people to try to find something that pertains to them, something someone else experienced that they will themselves find enjoyable. Tistan, I'm willing to bet people on every server have found what you're looking for. That's not the problem, the problem is that whatever it is, you're not finding it where you're at right now.

Why?

I know that's already a question you've asked yourself, and you're probably frustrated by it, or else you wouldn't have made a post here. So I'll ask you -- what are you looking for? What's the best thing Tistan could hope for? What kind of group do you want to get in on? Do you even want a group, or do you wanna be solo and awash in open world rp? Do you just want one or two close knit rp partners? Do you want to fill your time going to event after event after event and mingle with the crowd? What's your "best," and what have you been doing to try to find it that hasn't been working for you?

Once we know that, then people from the different servers can speak up and offer their own experience in their communities to hopefully point you in a more specific direction.

RE: Best RP Server - Nebbs - 11-14-2017

One you can get on would be the basic starting point. So that rules out a couple don't you think?

RE: Best RP Server - PSDuckie - 11-14-2017

Having played on both Balmung and Mateus, I can confidently say this:

Mateus is the better server out of those two.

Granted, I’ve never RPd on Omega or any other servers (except Balmung and Mateus, of course) so my recommendation is only based on those two.

RE: Best RP Server - Aegir - 11-14-2017

[Image: tumblr_ozfdpgBTpI1vfi4y5o1_1280.jpg]

RE: Best RP Server - Oyuu - 11-14-2017

I've seen people questioning which server is the 'better option' for them cropping up a lot recently, and I wanna say this: You will not join a server and magically have roleplay handed to you right away, it will always take a bit of networking and looking to get some. 

Balmung is very large and has a lot of variety. It takes time to find the right niche, but once you do it's great. I have paved my own way here on Balmung over the years and have my fingers in many pies so to speak - but I had to put in a lot of effort to make those connections. I would recommend leaving a character on Balmung since, for the foreseeable future, there is no way to join this server. Once you've transferred, there's no going back for months, possibly a year or more.  

Smaller servers are more open-minded and eager to RP, but that's simply because it's slim pickings. The community is small, and the popular RP themes there might not be to your taste (I had this issue on Cerberus, the RP there was extremely casual and not what I was looking for.) I assume Mateus is more like Balmung than smaller servers like Jenova and Phoenix but I have never played there, I've heard good things though!

You're already on Balmung, so that's one server down. You can easily make alts on other RP servers and see for yourself what they are like. If you want a larger community and more depth to your roleplay, I would recommend Balmung or Mateus. If you want something more personal but casual, I would try out a smaller server (take a look at the FC/LS halls here to see what servers actually have a RP community, they fade in and out over time so it might be hard to find one that is actually active.)

My advice? Thoroughly test the waters, don't just stand around in the QS and decide because no one walked up to you that there's no RP for you to be had. Join an FC and some LSes, join discords (Balmung and Mateus have a few RP discords and linkshells, and plenty of RP FC/LSes! Can't speak for smaller servers, they are harder to keep track of and find.) Experiment and see what actually feels like a good home for you and your characters, deciding what is the 'best' server can't really be decided since it's very personal to every roleplayer. Wish you the best of luck!

RE: Best RP Server - Faye - 11-14-2017

There is no "best" server. There is only what's best for you. All in all, the people on every server are going to be relatively the same. That's not saying they are the same exact individuals (though there is a good bit of overlap between the Balmung and Mateus playerbases), just that people are always, well, people. You'll find people who want the same things as you and people who don't. You'll find people you think are "good" role-players and people you think aren't. You'll find people who are friendly, and people who are jerks. They exist on every server, in every community, probably in equal proportions taking the populations into consideration. You just need to pinpoint what it is you want, and what you feel is an obstacle in getting that, and decide whether you think it would be easier for you to find you're looking for in a large, established, and closed community like Balmung, a medium-sized and growing but potentially temporary community like Mateus, or a very small and minority RP community like those on other servers that aren't usually recognized for their RP scene.