Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Can people eat voidsent meat? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Can people eat voidsent meat? (/showthread.php?tid=21005)

Pages: 1 2

Can people eat voidsent meat? - Ayaka - 11-27-2017

Like are they also tainted and corrupted just like their void aether or is it not? Is it possible to cure them of its corruption or...?

I don't think I've seen much dishes which has voidsents meats were used on so I'm curious. Granted, I don't know much voidsent creatures so there's that.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Arashin Kujqai - 11-27-2017

I imagine in the same way that fresh food can restore your reservoir of pure aether, that eating a voidsent would probably be harmful to your aether. Akin to poison or something. that's my logic on it anyways.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Stormblade - 11-27-2017

I thought Voidsent were like summons, and they went 'poof' when they were killed...

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Ayaka - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 05:36 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: I imagine in the same way that fresh food can restore your reservoir of pure aether, that eating a voidsent would probably be harmful to your aether. Akin to poison or something. that's my logic on it anyways.
This is what we're thinking too which begs the question if there's a way to purify it and so on? Making it edible and whatnot?

(11-27-2017, 06:29 AM)Stormblade Wrote: I thought Voidsent were like summons, and they went 'poof' when they were killed...
Yeah but then there are drops you can get from the Ahriman which you can use to make a potion out of so there's that. I'm not really sure if there's others too but yeah--it seems like they don't just poof?

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Ahriman_Wing

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Sounsyy - 11-27-2017

Voidsent actually don't poof when they are killed and Eorzeans crafters can use the spoils in a variety of ways. Things like Imp wings, Ahriman tears, Gnat antennae, Ogre horns, and Bomb ash are all harvested from voidsent. These aren't really things you'd want to eat though. But I found a reference in the recipe for void glue that is pertinent. It basically says in no uncertain terms that you should never consume void flesh. Ever.

Voidsent Blood Wrote:The bubbling blood of a voidsent. For some unknown reason, the humours will not coagulate.
Void Glue Wrote:A powerful adhesive created by boiling down the flesh of various voidsent.
Gelato Flesh Wrote:A quivering gelatinous lump of voidsent flesh neither cold nor sweet. Consumption is not recommended, even during times of starvation.
Pudding Flesh Wrote:A foul-smelling, gelatinous mass taken from a pudding.

Somewhat related, there's a levequest which talks about a man who consumed the pages of the Necrologos - an ancient Sharlayan tome whose pages contain various curses for summoning voidsent - and his body was reduced to ash. Something so drastic might not happen eating voidal flesh, but I can't imagine the effects of doing so would be any less unpleasant.

Necrologos: His Treasure Forhelen (L) Wrote:A lowborn woman approached our ministry and confessed a serious crime committed by her father. Labor had taken the man on a long expedition "north of the western highlands," and on the eve of his return, the woman could hear her father repeating mysterious dark words from his bed chambers. Upon inspection of his room, she was horrified to find a torn excerpt of the Necrologos hidden beneath his pillow. We raided his home and confronted him on his heresy, but he ingested the pages before we could seize him, claiming that he had long waited for this moment to allow the great powers of the void to overtake him and inflict hell on earth. The fool did not realize a mortal man does not transform into an unnatural being of the void through devouring its evil words, and his "grand transformation" reduced his cursed body to ash before our eyes. As naught but a ripped excerpt did he obtain, the rest of the tome must be out yonder, and we seek an adventurer to investigate the original location of his place of "labor," most likely in the Dravanian hinterlands, to see if the tome can be found. Should anything suspicious appear in the vicinity, it must be extinguished forthwith.

If you want to know more about the voidsent, these links should be helpful!
- General Info and Links to Void Lore Posts
- Voidsent Summoning and Pacts

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Zhu - 11-27-2017

Why would you eat Voidsent meat?

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Gegenji - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 09:30 AM)Zhu Wrote: Why would you eat Voidsent meat?

Because it's there, I'd assume. Or just to see what it tastes like due to epicurean curiosity.

Alternatively, if you're in an area that has a heavy amount of low-level voidsent that you have to deal with on a regular basis... if they were edible then they could serve as a food source. I don't think anyone would want to be a voidsent rancher or something (or maybe they would if they could be controlled and kept in check), but it could supplement other food types if they were safely edible.

Of course, if you're talking the intelligent types too (like succubi and the like)... then you have to raise into question about eating intelligent beings - even if they're ultimately evil. Since that's just a hop and a skip away from fillet de sahagin, koboldatouille, or a nice sylph salad.

... Darn it, now I have an idea for a demented chef who wants to make dishes out of the various beast tribes.

(11-27-2017, 08:05 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Voidsent actually don't poof when they are killed and Eorzeans crafters can use the spoils in a variety of ways. Things like Imp wings, Ahriman tears, Gnat antennae, Ogre horns, and Bomb ash are all harvested from voidsent. These aren't really things you'd want to eat though. But I found a reference in the recipe for void glue that is pertinent. It basically says in no uncertain terms that you should never consume void flesh. Ever.

Voidsent Blood Wrote:The bubbling blood of a voidsent. For some unknown reason, the humours will not coagulate.
Void Glue Wrote:A powerful adhesive created by boiling down the flesh of various voidsent.
Gelato Flesh Wrote:A quivering gelatinous lump of voidsent flesh neither cold nor sweet. Consumption is not recommended, even during times of starvation.
Pudding Flesh Wrote:A foul-smelling, gelatinous mass taken from a pudding.

Somewhat related, there's a levequest which talks about a man who consumed the pages of the Necrologos - an ancient Sharlayan tome whose pages contain various curses for summoning voidsent - and his body was reduced to ash. Something so drastic might not happen eating voidal flesh, but I can't imagine the effects of doing so would be any less unpleasant.

Necrologos: His Treasure Forhelen (L) Wrote:A lowborn woman approached our ministry and confessed a serious crime committed by her father. Labor had taken the man on a long expedition "north of the western highlands," and on the eve of his return, the woman could hear her father repeating mysterious dark words from his bed chambers. Upon inspection of his room, she was horrified to find a torn excerpt of the Necrologos hidden beneath his pillow. We raided his home and confronted him on his heresy, but he ingested the pages before we could seize him, claiming that he had long waited for this moment to allow the great powers of the void to overtake him and inflict hell on earth. The fool did not realize a mortal man does not transform into an unnatural being of the void through devouring its evil words, and his "grand transformation" reduced his cursed body to ash before our eyes. As naught but a ripped excerpt did he obtain, the rest of the tome must be out yonder, and we seek an adventurer to investigate the original location of his place of "labor," most likely in the Dravanian hinterlands, to see if the tome can be found. Should anything suspicious appear in the vicinity, it must be extinguished forthwith.

If you want to know more about the voidsent, these links should be helpful!
- General Info and Links to Void Lore Posts
- Voidsent Summoning and Pacts
Interesting--This is a great read, thank you.

It does make me question though if it's possible to still eat the ingredients that can be used in potion making? Like the ahriman wings for example? Since it looks like you can still consume it and whatnot albeit it for medicinal purpose.

Like what Gegenji said down below Big Grin

(11-27-2017, 09:43 AM)Gegenji Wrote:

Because it's there, I'd assume. Or just to see what it tastes like due to epicurean curiosity.

Alternatively, if you're in an area that has a heavy amount of low-level voidsent that you have to deal with on a regular basis... if they were edible then they could serve as a food source. I don't think anyone would want to be a voidsent rancher or something (or maybe they would if they could be controlled and kept in check), but it could supplement other food types if they were safely edible.

Of course, if you're talking the intelligent types too (like succubi and the like)... then you have to raise into question about eating intelligent beings - even if they're ultimately evil. Since that's just a hop and a skip away from fillet de sahagin, koboldatouille, or a nice sylph salad.

... Darn it, now I have an idea for a demented chef who wants to make dishes out of the various beast tribes.
You should definitely do that idea haha that sounds fun!

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Sounsyy - 11-27-2017

I'd assume that any alchemical concoction created by Frondale's is safe to consume, regardless of the materials used in the making. Whether that's because the potation itself has sterilized any harmful maladies lingering on the ahriman wing or if the ahriman wing (using this example) is just outright "safe" to eat after the voidal soul is expelled, I don't know.

Something else to consider: many voidsent entities cross over onto our plane by inhabiting dead bodies or tissue. Succubi force their souls into the bodies of dead women, ahriman and deepeyes inhabit the eyes of dead animals, arch demons from rotting farm animals, while mindflayers aren't so terribly picky and will inhabit just about any dead humanoid body.

So if an ahriman inhabits a dead squirrel, but then the ahriman is killed, is there any part of that original squirrel left? Idk, I still wouldn't risk it.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Kallera - 11-27-2017

If its an ingredient in potions, isn't there some proof as to the pieces being rendered to a harmless, edible form?

(11-27-2017, 10:40 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: I'd assume that any alchemical concoction created by Frondale's is safe to consume, regardless of the materials used in the making. Whether that's because the potation itself has sterilized any harmful maladies lingering on the ahriman wing or if the ahriman wing (using this example) is just outright "safe" to eat after the voidal soul is expelled, I don't know.

Something else to consider: many voidsent entities cross over onto our plane by inhabiting dead bodies or tissue. Succubi force their souls into the bodies of dead women, ahriman and deepeyes inhabit the eyes of dead animals, arch demons from rotting farm animals, while mindflayers aren't so terribly picky and will inhabit just about any dead humanoid body.

So if an ahriman inhabits a dead squirrel, but then the ahriman is killed, is there any part of that original squirrel left? Idk, I still wouldn't risk it.
Hmmm this is true, this is true... But then things like down below makes me go ??? sometimes and wonder as well.

(11-27-2017, 10:43 AM)Kallera Wrote: If its an ingredient in potions, isn't there some proof as to the pieces being rendered to a harmless, edible form?
Like if there's a way to make it into a harmless edible thing--to the point that it would actually even have a positive help on your body... then that means that it's somewhat possible?

It sounds like the alchemists have at least found a way to use some parts for a positive effect on a person's body.

That's the one thing I want to know since they showed a piece that you could actually use for a good purpose. Can it be purified and so on.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Gegenji - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 10:40 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: So if an ahriman inhabits a dead squirrel, but then the ahriman is killed, is there any part of that original squirrel left? Idk, I still wouldn't risk it.

Just from the drops you usually get off voidsent, I'd personally lean towards no. Considering the degree of the transformation by the possessed host, I think whatever "was" the squirrel has been tainted and corrupted and transmogrified into being ahriman.

I think that's part of why you can't just... "cure" being possessed by a voidsent. It's not just like they're controlling your mind. They do such a complete and utter change to the host's structure that there's basically nothing left. Even if you could have the host somehow reclaim dominance somehow, they'd still be stuck in that shape and likely maintain that link to the Void that could result in continued possession-assaults until their mind and will is just... deteriorated away.

At least, that's how I see it.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Valence - 11-27-2017

It depends on how invasive the voidsent was. The one that inhabits the aether poor relative to the Coco brothers in the THM quests for example, doesn't seem to really harm its host in any meaningful way.

The one that is after Arya's lineage in the RDM quests left a taint that could be removed.

Some change their victims completely, like the Tonberries were, and while a cure is still being investigated, there is no way to heal them of their affliction.

I would also posit that since Voidsent are by definition very aether starved, it's not surprising that besides being extremely foul, it's possibly harmful to any life for that specific reason. Unless maybe, used in alchemical potions that are specifically tailored to dampen or target aether for specific purposes perhaps?

As for the reason to eat them, I have no doubt that somebody somewhere, already tried it. Much like a guy already tried to eat coblyn soup.

Which ended with them dead but heh. They tried.

( I know, coblyns aren't voidsent )

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Ayaka - 11-28-2017

Yeah okay so at least we can all agree that it's plausible if used in alchemy? Like the small parts?

So what if it's treated just like how some treated the ahriman wings but instead of it in the potion, it's gonna be for food or drinks? Like maybe instead of the big juicy meat, it's gonna be small things that can be easily treated like wings, tongue, eyes, tail and so on?

(Also yes I'm trying to grasp at tiny tiny straws here just to see if the community could enlighten me if some things are possible ; u ; )

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Aegir - 11-28-2017

I just want to say, I love this question.