Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question about free trial vs paid - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Question about free trial vs paid (/showthread.php?tid=21049)

Question about free trial vs paid - Meren - 12-02-2017

Hello,

My name is John and I roleplay as a character named Meren.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even installed FFXIV yet - in truth, I'm still trying to figure out the best payment option for what I'm looking for.

My main priority with FFXIV would be to RP.  Should I be looking to buy the game/pay the sub from day one, or would I be fine to play on an indefinite free trial until I'm truly hooked in?

Thank you.

John

RE: Question about free trial vs paid - LiadansWhisper - 12-02-2017

The issue with the free trial is that you can't send or receive whispers, as far as I know, and you can't join parties or FCs or Linkshells. You also can't receive in-game mail, iirc.

RE: Question about free trial vs paid - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-02-2017

I'd say give the trial a look first, to see if FFXIV's the kind of game you want to play. The trial does have some limitations, mostly chat and item-based so that RMT cannot abuse it. But by lv30, you can easily reach any of the original 2.0 zones with some careful walking. It should give you a good idea on what the game offers.

RE: Question about free trial vs paid - Meren - 12-02-2017

Thank you for the replies!

Would the limitations be too restrictive for roleplaying, do you feel?

RE: Question about free trial vs paid - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-02-2017

(12-02-2017, 06:36 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: The issue with the free trial is that you can't send or receive whispers, as far as I know, and you can't join parties or FCs or Linkshells.  You also can't receive in-game mail, iirc.

They can receive tells and Linkshell invites, but can't make outgoing ones. Most of the trial limitations are outbound. FFXIV Support Center on Free Trials

Quote:
  • Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
  • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
  • Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
  • Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level thirty five (35).
  • Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon during the Free Trial.

(12-02-2017, 07:45 PM)Meren Wrote: Thank you for the replies!

Would the limitations be too restrictive for roleplaying, do you feel?

For the most part, this basically means all RP would have to be out in the open. No /tells for private messages, no creating parties (but you can join one), etc. You can unlock dyes, but you can't unlock glamours to change the gear model. And other players can't really help you advance in the game with crafted gear and whatnot. It's certainly still playable though!

RE: Question about free trial vs paid - Ceoile Stendan - 12-05-2017

(12-02-2017, 08:08 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: For the most part, this basically means all RP would have to be out in the open. No /tells for private messages, no creating parties (but you can join one), etc.

Yes, this is what got me to pretty quickly subscribe.  Unless you're in the same location as another player, it's pretty much impossible to start up a conversation, because you can't initiate a /tell or a group.  You can't join a FC, though you can join a Linkshell, but it might difficult to get someone to give you an invitation to a Linkshell, because of the /tell limitation.

It's not impossible, as others said, but you may well feel very frustrated by the limitations.