Hydaelyn Role-Players
Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? (/showthread.php?tid=21056)

Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - hologramblue - 12-04-2017

Hello everyone! First post.

So, I've RPed for years upon years, got into FFXIV earlier this year, and I've been casually RPing FFXIV content lately - but only off-site with friends, and not in game. I'm interested in making an alt on Mateus and giving "proper" in-game RP a whirl.

I think I'm pretty well-versed in canon Seeker lore, and I've seen some examples of how the FFXIV RP community handles Seekers - tribes being larger and more diverse than the single settlements we see in game, that kind of thing. I'm still curious, though, if any loose consensus exists in the community w/r/t the tribes that don't have a nailed-down canon location? R Tribe being La Noscean based on the location of raptors and R Tribe NPCs, for example, is one that I see a lot. Are there other tribes that people tend to agree on a background for?

And if you play a Seeker, even if you don't think you follow any kind of community consensus, I'm interested in hearing your assumptions/headcanons/background-building for your character's tribe.

(I know the answer to this whole thread is ultimately "if it's not canon do what you want", but I like taking inspiration from other people's ideas, and following community trends/fanon/etc has got to make relationship-building easier.)

Thanks!

RE: Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - Valence - 12-05-2017

I've always found problematic the fact that we only know the location of two tribes out of dozens. How to play a character we OOCly don't really know where they dwell usually. Even if your character is an expatriate, or doesn't live in the tribe, their name obviously implies that the character has origins.

Well I guess you can still play it like the character doesn't know either...

RE: Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - Val - 12-05-2017

Idk if it'll help, but I try to play the tribe as close to the animal counterpart as I can. For example, Val being part of the Wolf tribe, I have the tribe stick mostly to forests and split into smaller sects/packs. They were very tribal in nature and followed game and lived off what the forest provided. Since i had Val's split, it made sense that other Wolf people he came across (few and far between tbh) would have a different story Smile hope it helped!

RE: Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - Saravahn - 12-05-2017

As I've stated in other threads regarding seeker tribe placement, it's always been my headcanon that the tribes tend to settle or roam near where their particular "totem animal" settles or roams.

The in game examples we're given of settled tribes are the U and M tribes. U is drake, and if you head off into the Sagolii a bit you'll find wild drakes roaming about. M is marmot, and while you don't see any marmots wandering about in game in the Fringes... a marmot is generally a pretty well-versed creature that likely could be there... just not as a mob that we kill for in-game mechanics.

As you mentioned, lots of R miqo'te in La Noscea where raptors are plentiful, etc. etc.

So... that's what I personally do. Find out where, in game, that particular mob is plentiful... and say that my miqo'te are from those areas. For instance, C'vahn is coeurl.... and there's a pretty good handful of them in La Noscea... so his tribe is from there.

As for customs, how they live, etc. etc. I tend to do much like what Val said, as well. Make them live, fight, whatever in a similar fashion to their "totem animal". In general, they revere that particular animal just shy of the amount that they revere Azeyma the Warden.

There is a coeurl headcanon floating about in the wiki connected to this site. I personally don't agree with it for a number of reasons, but I feel it does pertain to your question. 

Beyond that, I don't think there really is a community consensus.

RE: Choosing a Seeker tribe?/Seeker tribe fanon? - Damien - 01-08-2018

As others have suggested, looking at where the animal the tribe is said to be protected by, though I often it's like the tribe emulates the behaviour of the animals as a means of staying alive and surviving in the same environment they do.

I wouldn't try to go into too much detail about how the tribes work and function though. Until we know more officially, I think it's better to keep it open to interpretation. There could be tribes of the same letter that are different depending on who's in them or wherabouts they live. That way you don't get the issue of trying to assume or guess too much, or feel conflicted when someone else has wholly different ideas.