Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Spying In Character: Communication is Key? (/showthread.php?tid=21091)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - Akeno Asukai - 12-19-2017

So, I've been watching this thread grow; reading responses and making some minor adjustments to my approach on the subject. I'd like to say that I genuinely appreciate the amount of feedback this has gotten, as it's a topic which is vital to my main character. 

There have been some things which I disagree with wholeheartedly, as I am of the mindset that when role-playing in public (such as popular hubs like Ul'dah, Gridania and Free Company hosted events) anyone can overhear or intentionally listen in on a conversation. Majority of the time, there isn't too much to be "gained" from eavesdropping on conversations in these hubs and events: I can promise you, a lot of topics are idle chatter and getting to know one another.
      And this is the type of information I've been gathering on my main. I've learned loads about former sex slaves and girls who are too shy to "make the first move". I've also learned (as stated here in the threads) that not everyone is super okay with their conversation being listened to; I've been spotted behind pillars, crates and even from behind (I was behind the person, near a plant). This is going to happen regardless of intention. I have accepted it. 

I was a little surprised at the amount of people who spoke up for OOC communication when in a public setting. I can understand certain settings and the reason behind it, but it intrigues me greatly.
      I do feel that this thread has gone off to the whole "doing wrong in public" direction and the truth is, most of what I've gathered is far from "dangerous dealings". The most exciting conversation I've listened in on, I was told to "please stop listening to us. This is private." and it was a possible assassination on some character I've never heard of. I can accept that the conversation did take place in a more seclusive place of Ul'dah, I just happened to be walking about taking in the holiday decor in-character (which was emoted) when Akeno overheard something akin to, "Are you sure that poison will work?" Forgive me if this was one of your characters and you feel outed, but I needed an example. 

When it comes to private role-play done in a public setting, I'm desperate to understand why people insist on using public channels such as /em or /say as opposed to a party-channel; which is a question that is a little off-topic as it dives into a whole new area of conversation. 

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. It's actually made me a little hopeful seeing that some of the bigger names on Balmung share a similar mindset to myself when it comes to public conversations. It renews my faith in finding the kind of role-play I want on a closed server. ^^;

RE: Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - Faye - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 08:16 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Welcome to roleplaying in general, friend. This sort of stuff pops up in every setting, every game, every world, across anything that is open to the public.

The trick is to just get into the thick of it and eventually learn who to encourage and who to avoid. XIV has its share of characters both good and bad, cool and ugly. It's a give and take thing: You can sure cut off the entire community if you want and just put yourself on a pedestal (universal you, not you, Mermaid) but that just means you're potentially missing out on a lot of cool people who'd otherwise want to hop in.

Like all hobbies, roleplaying requires a degree of work to get your maximum return. Some people are content to never do the work, but those people are usually the ones bitching about how there's nothing to do, no one to talk to, or how dead a seemingly populated server is.

Edit: In terms of people who "look problematic" do you think you're able to make that kind of snap judgment in a matter of short moments in a crowded place?

I agree, people powerplaying and making improbable/impossible characters is just par for the course in RP. I've been RPing for well over a decade and seen dozens if not hundreds of characters similar to the examples, as well as people with more appropriate sounding character concepts but who RP to "win" and can't stand their character losing or not being the best, or just people who have a very specific plot in mind they don't want derailed in any way even though they haven't taken proper measures to secure it (such as, example from the post above: discussing an assassination openly in a city and expecting no eavesdropping or intervention).

I know how bad things can go when you're role-playing with someone who's not on the same page about what's realistic or fair, and I totally understand and agree with the desire to avoid these people to prevent future issues. Personally, I just find the best approach to be wiggling myself out of those situations when they arise (or seem imminent) rather than have people run everything by me OOC to approve or decline beforehand. The RP flows more organically and believably, everyone gets a chance, and no one feels slighted or excluded unless they've already blown said chance. But at the end of the day that's just my opinion on what I think is best for the RP/community and what works for me. I think I have a much more go-with-the-flow approach to RP than a lot of others do in recent years.

RE: Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - Teadrinker - 12-20-2017

(12-19-2017, 09:33 PM)Akeno Asukai Wrote:
When it comes to private role-play done in a public setting, I'm desperate to understand why people insist on using public channels such as /em or /say as opposed to a party-channel; which is a question that is a little off-topic as it dives into a whole new area of conversation.

People also complain when people RP in public in closed channels.

At the end of the day, not everyone is going to be RPing up to yours or anyone elses specific tastes or standards. If you find people who don't jive with you then just leave them alone and vice versa.

If you find yourself thinking "Man, I dislike the way they do things." Then just don't interact.

If the groups insist on interacting ICly then make sure there is a lot of OOC communication to prevent problems so no one has reason to make waves later.

This can pretty much apply to any facet of RP.

RE: Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - ExAtomos - 12-20-2017

(12-19-2017, 09:33 PM)Akeno Asukai Wrote: I've been spotted behind pillars, crates and even from behind (I was behind the person, near a plant).

This I would file under "feel like someone's watching me" (sorry for the earworm lol) and I personally would give a pass to cause there is some logic in catching sight of someone trying to hide while listening in.

(12-19-2017, 09:33 PM)Akeno Asukai Wrote: I was told to "please stop listening to us. This is private." and it was a possible assassination on some character I've never heard of.

This is rude and I would have called them out on it.

I have had other characters speak up while I'm having some sort of heated discussion icly. One was a wandering Immortal Flames in the back areas of Ul'dah who asked if there was a problem. (While startling, well within his rights as a guard.) Another was someone speaking up when my character started swinging on someone else in Kugane. "Knock it off or I'll call one of the Sekiseigumi." The fight was none of their business... an illegal fight starting near where they were standing was.

To me? Your character is a spy. You're gonna be spying. It's what you do. xD The logical reasoning is solid and I personally find little reason to argue against it.

Would my character possibly call yours out icly if I found you snooping? You bet your ass I would. Big Grin

XIV open world /say and /emote channels aren't a private chat room. Hell, /say and /em are public unless you're in a private room and the door is locked... much like the real world.

Keep annoyance at being spied on an ic thing.

RE: Spying In Character: Communication is Key? - Verad - 12-23-2017

(12-14-2017, 10:03 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Writing in public and not wanting people to join you isn't roleplay. It's masturbating.

As a public masturbater, I take offense to this. The spectacle usually ensures people don't want to join anyway.