Hydaelyn Role-Players
Currently looking into the game before buying - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Currently looking into the game before buying (/showthread.php?tid=21183)

Currently looking into the game before buying - Orli - 01-01-2018

I have been in the RP communities of many games such as WoW, BDO, ESO, etc for many years long enough to have been moderators of some past RP guilds and seen many guilds get created and years later die.

I am desperately looking for something new as most MMO's seem to be very limited in the RP aspect. I do not own the game yet as I am still trying to see if it's got what others lacked such.
     I want to know things about aspects of the game such as: 
 1. Customizability 
 2.  How the community is with "trolls" (As they are always around..)
 3.  common types of RP guilds within the game.
 4.  how various guilds interact with one another.
     etc..

As a long time member of multiple MMO's RP communities it is difficult to see the lack of things to do and how stale it all now seems.

(Conclusion)
I actually tried out the game and liked it so I purchased the complete edition. I am just hoping to get my favorite character look into Balmung so i'll probably be waiting in the menu awhile. Going to be a white mage (As I always go support) looking forward to playing. Thank you to all you who replied!

RE: Currently looking into the game before buying - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-01-2018

Hey there!

If you're looking for a good way to test the water out, I'd defintiely recommend grabbing the FFXIV trial. It does have some chat/trading/leveling restrictions, but it's a perfect way to get a feel for the game and give you first-hand experience.

I'll also try to edit in responses to each of the numbered questions.

1. FFXIV operates on both polar ends of customization. The character creator is going to feel extremely limited if you're more used to Korean MMOs that give you sliders and options galore. On the flip side, this also means that your character's animations are gonna look fairly decent most of the time, even if there might be a bit of a sameface problem. Where FFXIV shines is really in gear options. We have a -lot- of outfits, many of which can be dyed. The glamour system isn't as robust as other MMOs, but hardly needed if you're roleplaying in noncombat zones. It's getting a big update when the 4.2 patch comes out later this month!
  2. They exist. I know at least on Balmung, we have had some instances of people harassing RPers or trolling them. It's usually pretty limited and not the average experience. Mateus and Omega (for EU) are probably about the same. More trolling generally happens in the /shout chat channel, which is a zone-wide chat. You can filter/disable it as needed.
  3. Groups come in two (possibly more soon) flavors in FFXIV. These are your Linkshells (chat-only groups, limit 8) and Free Companies (aka guilds, limit 1). Like the other chat channels, you can filter them as wanted. For a good idea of what some of them look like, check out our Linkshell Hall and Free Company Hall! The RPC regularly goes through "hall cleanings" every 2 months so most should be active. (I've actually gotta do this....eventually.) Do note on a trial account, you can be invited, but you cannot make either.
  4. It varies. Some people keep all their RP organized with Linkshells. Some stick to FC-only RP. Others only do open-world stuff. I'd say most people use a mix of everything to find what they like. Depending on which server you roll on, coordination may happen on other sites as well, like enjin. Or may be coordinated in various Discord servers.

If you're also looking for a quick lore primer that can answer some early questions, check these out too!

Eorzean Lore Starter Kit
-Racial Lore Compilation
-Class/Job Lore Compilation
-Hydaelyn Geography Lore
-Settlements in Eorzea Pre-Calamity
-Eorzean City-states' Political Structures Lore
-Eorzean Units of Time and Measurement Lore
What Year Is It? Time Passage in FFXIV

RE: Currently looking into the game before buying - ExAtomos - 01-02-2018

Balmung is full of rp, but closed. Mateus is very similar to Balmung, but it's rp community has only ramped up since the release of the Stormblood expansion (due to Balmung's sudden complete closure), so you'll find not only a good number of rpers but also a lot of players new to the game.

I believe Mateus uses Discord more than Tumblr for event promotions. Here is a calendar blog that includes a link to the Discord.

One thing I want to stress however... you get out as much RP as you put in. If you wait for it to come to you, you may be waiting a while. Be proactive. Find RP FCs and LSs. Go to events; help run events. Be willing to walk up to others that you see with the RP tag in places and start a conversation.

Also, everyone's experience is going to be different. Some folks will swear up and down they can't find RP anywhere; others (including myself) wonder why there aren't enough hours in the day to squeeze everything in.

You'll really need to try it for yourself to know. Smile

RE: Currently looking into the game before buying - Nebbs - 01-02-2018

Most of what you ask i would say that given your experience it is what you would expect of an active and thriving RP community, in all its diversity.

On  Customizability for RP I would say the game offers a wide variety of support.

Short version.. very supportive of playing an RP character in a rich visual way.

Classes 
  • each character can be all classes, that's 26, so can be very versatile in adapting to a persona
Gear
  • Dying is possible for a lot of gear, with a one colour per item, and each item will then apply that according to it's look (each item is often multiple colours/shades)
  • Glamoring (or overwriting an items image with another) enables you to look the way you want in any situation
  • Outfits (no stat items) are plenty and include things like bathing attire and seasonal looks
  • You can dress as a peasant, noble, fantastic-hero, etc.. it is very wide ranging
  • Clear/blank items are available so they don't show
Setting
  • Largely sword and sorcery fantasy
  • Guns, flying ships and technology is also present
  • The starting areas are western in style and there is the new area now that is eastern
  • There is one player faction
  • There is no open world PvP
Character
  • Characters are shape wise similar by race, with height being the main difference
  • Face/features etc.. can be customized. This is somewhat less than BDO/ESO
  • emotes (your character moves) are many and work in a variety of standing/sitting/laying positions
  • you can sit on seats and on the floor or anyplace
  • you can lay down on specific areas (beds etc..)
  • you can swim in some zones
  • you can go underwater in some zones
  • There are no chat bubbles, all chat is in chat windows, you can 4 chat windows/tabs and they can be filtered
  • You can tell/wispier people and join up-to 8 specific chat channels (called linkshells)
Environment
  • In the starting area travel is on the ground, in expansion areas flying mounts are available
  • Lots of building are closed, but some are open to use for RP
  • There is an RP flag you can apply to your name plate
  • Dungeons can be used for RP (within the limits of the dungeon)
  • Housing works great, except there is not enough of it to go around (biggest flaw imo)
I could go on and on

[Edit added extras below]

Extras..
  • There are no add on/in programs, in fact they are not allowed
  • There is internal macros you can write which can help with combat and crafting. They do get used extensively in RP for performing
  • There is a new feature that lets bards play actual notes, so you can play actual music. It cant be macro enabled yet so it is literally playing an instrument

RE: Currently looking into the game before buying - Orli - 01-02-2018

(01-02-2018, 11:04 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Most of what you ask i would say that given your experience it is what you would expect of an active and thriving RP community, in all its diversity.

On  Customizability for RP I would say the game offers a wide variety of support.

Short version.. very supportive of playing an RP character in a rich visual way.

Classes 
  • each character can be all classes, that's 26, so can be very versatile in adapting to a persona
Gear
  • Dying is possible for a lot of gear, with a one colour per item, and each item will then apply that according to it's look (each item is often multiple colours/shades)
  • Glamoring (or overwriting an items image with another) enables you to look the way you want in any situation
  • Outfits (no stat items) are plenty and include things like bathing attire and seasonal looks
  • You can dress as a peasant, noble, fantastic-hero, etc.. it is very wide ranging
  • Clear/blank items are available so they don't show
Setting
  • Largely sword and sorcery fantasy
  • Guns, flying ships and technology is also present
  • The starting areas are western in style and there is the new area now that is eastern
  • There is one player faction
  • There is no open world PvP
Character
  • Characters are shape wise similar by race, with height being the main difference
  • Face/features etc.. can be customized. This is somewhat less than BDO/ESO
  • emotes (your character moves) are many and work in a variety of standing/sitting/laying positions
  • you can sit on seats and on the floor or anyplace
  • you can lay down on specific areas (beds etc..)
  • you can swim in some zones
  • you can go underwater in some zones
  • There are no chat bubbles, all chat is in chat windows, you can 4 chat windows/tabs and they can be filtered
  • You can tell/wispier people and join up-to 8 specific chat channels (called linkshells)
Environment
  • In the starting area travel is on the ground, in expansion areas flying mounts are available
  • Lots of building are closed, but some are open to use for RP
  • There is an RP flag you can apply to your name plate
  • Dungeons can be used for RP (within the limits of the dungeon)
  • Housing works great, except there is not enough of it to go around (biggest flaw imo)
I could go on and on

[Edit added extras below]

Extras..
  • There are no add on/in programs, in fact they are not allowed
  • There is internal macros you can write which can help with combat and crafting. They do get used extensively in RP for performing
  • There is a new feature that lets bards play actual notes, so you can play actual music. It cant be macro enabled yet so it is literally playing an instrument
     Thanks for this information, I already have taken a liking to the actual classes as a support main in every MMO I've played I've taken a liking to how it works. The RP aspect seems to have stuff I was hoping it would.

RE: Currently looking into the game before buying - Sephkon - 01-03-2018

Hello there, 

Here on Mateus, I've seen RP go on like crazy in one of the taverns and they are always willing to have more people join in on the fun. As for me I'm looking for more People to RP on Mateus, just hit me up the name's Sephkon Morningstar.