Hydaelyn Role-Players
The RPC and the RP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The RPC and the RP Server (/showthread.php?tid=2227)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The RPC and the RP Server - Kylin - 06-17-2013

Regarding Balmung

Over three years ago, the RPC held a public poll in which Besaid was named the unofficial RP server. Following the game's rocky launch, Besaid was eventually merged into a new server: Balmung. Since then, we have remained supportive of Balmung as the unofficial RP server. We have held countless RP events, storylines, and have had numerous RP interactions with others here. Hundreds of RPers have been here. Many have also forged friendships with players who do not roleplay. The RPC remains dedicated to its support of Balmung and invites all new RPers to join us. SquareEnix has confirmed that non-Legacy members can join Legacy servers and we vow to be as helpful and welcoming as humanly possible to the new blood. Balmung has proven to be a stable breeding ground for RP and we look forward to the many years ahead of RP there.

Regarding a Non-Legacy RP Server

We recognize that there are some who simply do not want to join a Legacy server for their own reasons. While it pains many of us that we may not get to RP or interact personally with these individuals, we will continue to support them in their wishes if interest in this remains. As such, should we still hear nothing from SquareEnix by July 1st, we will hold a public poll on the RPC to allow non-Legacy RPers to select a secondary RP server. We will, however, continue to reiterate that our primary level of support will be geared toward Balmung. Should the public poll reveal a severe lack of interest in the concept of a non-legacy RP server (as in, less than maybe 20 or so total valid votes), we may have to reconsider our support.

The public poll will last 24 hours and be heavily moderated to ensure there is no cheating (multiple accounts, etc). User registration will likely be at least partially restricted. We encourage only those who are NOT joining Balmung to take part in the poll. Only non-Legacy, non-Japanese servers will be capable of being voted on.

The RPC's support of a secondary RP server, should the poll reveal enough interest, includes the following (this is all we're actually capable of):
  • Official recognition. Should someone on this forum or an outside one ask for RP server information, we will give both Balmung and the secondary server (though again, Balmung may be more heavily emphasized most likely).
  • An events subforum. We will split the Events section of the forum into two subsections - one for Balmung and one for the secondary RP server.
  • Linkshell ads. All RP linkshells, regardless of server choice, are allowed (and technically always have been allowed) to post linkshell ads in the Linkshell Hall.
  • Leaders' Roundtable access. This section will also be split into two subsections, one for each server.

Let me emphasize that should either of the server subforums seemingly die out (such as going months without a single posted event and/or months without LS leader activity), we will have to reevaluate our support for a secondary RP server. While we will support the wishes of this group of RPers, it is ultimately up to them to make that server RP community flourish and remain active. All we can do at the RPC is help provide tools as necessary.

We all look forward to creating many new memories within the RP community that will withstand the test of time, much like the memories many created in 1.0.

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Aeiteil Strand - 06-17-2013

I still am nervous about joining a legacy server...everyone will have experience up on me.

Do you still think there will be enough low people to run low level dungeons?

Still joining a Legacy, but concerns are concerns.

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Kerr - 06-17-2013

Don't worry, Fire! We'll all be there to help you. Between level sync, new classes/jobs, and new players, I really don't think we have anything to worry about.

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Blade - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 10:28 AM)Fire Olive Wrote: I still am nervous about joining a legacy server...everyone will have experience up on me.

I'm planning on mostly playing on a new job (at level 1), and I really want to run and experience all this new stuff. I have several friends who will be joining the game on Balmung in your same situation, so we can all play together and experience the content the game has to offer from the ground up!

But really, the people here are great. I started playing for year back in April the year it went down, and even though people were established and more experienced, I was still able to get a lot done, with a level 50 WAR, and experience a bunch of the endgame content. You'll be fine. Smile

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Yahdo - 06-17-2013

Fire, my 1.0 character didn't get very far due to me beginning to play a month before the subs started back up and no income coming in so I will be newish to this considering my highest level is a 21 GLA. Don't worry, I will be right there with ya.

Ok, well that is good. Because when I get the game.. it really will be the very first time I've played it! Makes me nervous. Also nervous about RP a little bit, as I am extremely rusty.

Probably will just not talk for the first few days and just figure out interface and mechanics lol

Thanks for the reassurance everyone =)

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Halrath - 06-17-2013

I'll be starting from scratch as well. You certainly won't be alone. Smile

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - John Spiegel - 06-17-2013

Pretty sure the Level Sync system will meet any possible needs of us that are starting out. I ain't in it for having max everything, though. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

.. What is the Level Sync? Sorry lol

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Nel Celestine - 06-17-2013

Level sync is where everyone in your party has their levels reduced to a certain point.  usually to match the lowest level person in the party.

(06-17-2013, 11:21 AM)Nel Celestine Wrote: Level sync is where everyone in your party has their levels reduced to a certain point.  usually to match the lowest level person in the party.
That's.. really odd lol

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Blade - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 11:28 AM)Fire Olive Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 11:21 AM)Nel Celestine Wrote: Level sync is where everyone in your party has their levels reduced to a certain point.  usually to match the lowest level person in the party.
That's.. really odd lol

It's a good thing because it enables your upper level friends to do content with you at lower levels. The way experience points work in XIV is that (at least for killing monsters) you get less and less experience points from killing a monster the greater your level is.

For example (and this is just an example... the calculation is different from this, but the idea is the same)

If I'm level 5, and I kill a level 10 monster somehow, I get 400 exp.
If I'm level 10, and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 200 exp.
If I'm level 15 and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 100 exp.
If I'm level 35 and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 0 exp.

And so on.

What level sync would enable us to do, is for example, if was 35 and you were level 5, I could sync to 5, and we could kill the level 10 monster for a good chunk of exp for both of us. So it enables upper level friends to play with you easier while still helping them make progress.

(06-17-2013, 11:49 AM)Blade Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 11:28 AM)Fire Olive Wrote:
That's.. really odd lol

It's a good thing because it enables your upper level friends to do content with you at lower levels.   The way experience points work in XIV is that (at least for killing monsters) you get less and less experience points from killing a monster the greater your level is.

For example (and this is just an example... the calculation is different from this, but the idea is the same)

If I'm level 5, and I kill a level 10 monster somehow, I get 400 exp.
If I'm level 10, and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 200 exp.
If I'm level 15 and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 100 exp.
If I'm level 35 and I kill a level 10 monster, I get 0 exp.

And so on.

What level sync would enable us to do, is for example, if was 35 and you were level 5, I could sync to 5, and we could kill the level 10 monster for a good chunk of exp for both of us.  So it enables upper level friends to play with you easier while still helping them make progress.
Oh ok, that is actually pretty cool. Looks like I will be playing with you all afterwards! Yay! Also, you made me lol with the first example. >.<

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Popoko Poko - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 10:28 AM)Fire Olive Wrote: I still am nervous about joining a legacy server...everyone will have experience up on me.

While that's true to a point, there will be plenty of people (like myself) who plan to start a new class to experience everything from the start. I too, have a ton of people who will be joining in at launch and starting right from the beginning like you, and I'm sure there will be a lot more too. Balmung was a very good server when 1.0 was running; people were helpful and kind and it was just a ton of fun!

I think it'd be nice if we had an influx of new RPer's on Balmung. It would also be great to try and keep the RP community together as much as possible. If we split up, it's less RP to go around. Smile

RE: The RPC and the RP Server - Vash - 06-17-2013

I will be joining Balmung as well. I am new to FFXIV ARR and the community here has been great. I also know a BUNCH of people from SWTOR (The current MMO I am playing are all leaving to come play) My whole guild will slowly but surely make the leep over to FFXIV. I know everyone here has been so nice and I am so excited every time I see a new post on the forums. I did not get what a legacy server was at first now I understand but still I know the great community here and all of the SWTOR people hopping over will be right there with everyone supporting the community and helping Balmung flourish.