Hydaelyn Role-Players
Darkness and Light - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Darkness and Light (/showthread.php?tid=230)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Darkness and Light - Zietes - 07-14-2010

So there's something that's been eating away at my thoughts recently. It's more of a question than anything of course but, well let me just tell you all. So while RPing obviously people create their own stories with their characters, and their fellow players. As time goes by the story develops and possibly turns into one of epic proportions! However I have to ask....how exactly do villains work? Like I've never had an RP scenario in an MMO where a player has roleplayed a villain. I'm saying this because I'm interested in the concept and maybe even playing one. Getting in the role and mindset of a villain has to be one of the hardest yet most entertaining things.

So can anyone share some insight on how Villain characters work on MMOs? How one goes about starting one out? Etc. etc. I'm very interested in learning more about it because I might make Zietes a villain for FFXIV. It's always nice to have an evil mastermind ;]

Re: Darkness and Light - Smiling River - 07-14-2010

I was thinking about talking about this on the 5th episode of RPCV! I played a villain for a long time in FFXI, so I can go on and on about it, but it'd be faster if I just say it ><

Stay tuned!

Re: Darkness and Light - Shamadconde - 07-14-2010

YAY! Another Episode!

Re: Darkness and Light - Zietes - 07-14-2010

Oh man I definitely have to tune in to that one! I gotta figure out how to play a villain.

I have a question though, how would I go about getting in a LS as a villain though? Would any LS let a villain into their ranks? I just don't want to like play a villain and then not have anyone to really party with because then i'd maybe get a bit bored....

Re: Darkness and Light - Arzy - 07-14-2010

90% Villian for me in RPs ....

People seem to mistake me for an evil person for some reason ...

Re: Darkness and Light - Kashemia - 07-14-2010

Zietes Wrote:Oh man I definitely have to tune in to that one! I gotta figure out how to play a villain.

I have a question though, how would I go about getting in a LS as a villain though? Would any LS let a villain into their ranks? I just don't want to like play a villain and then not have anyone to really party with because then i'd maybe get a bit bored....

I'd love to roleplay with you! So even if you don't find a Linkshell, I can party Wink

I think it's a very interesting idea. One of the bggest problems I've seen has been people playing villains way too cartoony, roaming around the major city going "Rawr, I'll kill you all!" more or less...

I've also seen a really effective villain once though, who was an evil overlord type. It worked because he was super subtle about it, and because people didn't take the info they found about his guild on the forums, IC. When someone was in his way, instead of going after them directly, he hired other guilds of thugs to roughen them up a bit.
The entire guild were more or less evil, but they came off as completely normal, hosting many events etc. It worked very well because
  • THEY played it very well, without godmodding
  • The community played along. No hero metagaming that he knew what was going on, etc.[/list:u]

There was people who suspected things, and with reason, and it was cool to see them trying to prove it. So yeah, that's one way of doing it Smile
    You could start your own LS!

I couldn't start my own LS hahaha, I lack many skills required by a leader. However, I've been looking into T.A.L.E. and they'd be a good guild for a villain. Also what that guild did is what I'm planning to do exactly. I've always loved those Villain types that started out good and slowly descended into Darkness and then the Hero later finds out everything, and nothing can be proven, so he takes matters into his own hands. There's many good examples out there.

My favorite setting however is the entire Duo turning against each other idea. In other words, old friends who were in the right path and then later one of them turned evil. It always leads to many dramatic scenes and very emotional situations. It's beautiful and alot of times has almost brought tears to my eyes. Look at Suikoden 2!

So Kashemia, I'd LOVE to play with you as a RPing partner. If we can contact each other in a faster manner somehow that would be lovely, we can plan out some possible characters and roles! :]

Zietes Wrote:So Kashemia, I'd LOVE to play with you as a RPing partner. If we can contact each other in a faster manner somehow that would be lovely, we can plan out some possible characters and roles! :]

That sounds good Smile The only thing is, Seraj is currently the sister of Averis' character, so I have to make it fit that storyline as well Smile
Or I could create an alt for the purpose, but then I can't promise I'd play it that often :/

Seraj however is not exactly a hero type herself, but that might be interesting too, to have a person with pretty low moral forced into more of a hero position to avoid a bigger evil Wink

Re: Darkness and Light - Aveline - 07-14-2010

Quote:However, I've been looking into T.A.L.E. and they'd be a good guild for a villain

Woot! We're glad you are looking into us. :cheer: I just want to clarify though, we are only good for a villain that doesn't take him/herself too seriously. For instance, we have a member who is planning on playing a hulking, psychotic Hellsguard Roegadyn.. who also happens to have a passion for making the most beautiful dresses you've ever seen. Smile We have a few people planning on playing villainous-yet-odd roles, actually.

Can't wait to hear the podcast about it; I've never been able to play a bad guy myself but I've always been interested in the idea.

Kashemia, I'm sure we can make it work. Like I said, let me know how I can contact you and we'll talk about it. I have nothing yet for Zietes so it'll be quite easy to do it all.

As to you Aveline, hmmmm....it might be able to work still. I like the idea of your LS and I think it'd fit my characters role because as I said, I'm planning to slowly corrupt him. Or he might already be a bit corrupted. Either way, he needs a cover and he can be one of those characters that although he seems like a normal laughable individual, in reality he is not....

Re: Darkness and Light - ArmachiA - 07-14-2010

Some guilds would definitely accommodate villains. Crimson Blades, for example, can have all types of people in it since it's jut a gathering of different people looking for mad loots. Most people in it's ranks are Neutral, some are good, some are leaning toward bad. Just find a guild that will go along with your villainy personality.

There were only 2 or 3 villains in Aion, most of them were played really cartoony, muhahahaha-ing all over the place, causing trouble and never getting in trouble for it. Villains are actually really hard to play.

I'm going for a more mature and dark villain. Something along the seriousness of iconic villains such as Sephiroth from FF7 and Seymour from FF10. I'm not really gonna adopt their personality or anything, but I am however bringing it to their level of maturity and darkness.

Re: Darkness and Light - ArmachiA - 07-14-2010

Sounds like you want to make a more subtle villain. It's really hard to do so I wish you luck! It's easier for people to go the over the top Villain route because it gets them attention faster, but doing a more dark and mature villain (Who is still like-able as a character no less) takes a truly creative mind and a lot of patience. I'm glad you're deciding to go that route.

Re: Darkness and Light - Shamadconde - 07-14-2010

I recommend the Dexter Morgan approach to evil. Subtle, discreet, and utterly ruthless.

I ind the subte apporach much more interesting as well, and it takes a very well developed char, so should be interesting Smile Looking forward to see what comes out of it!