Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lack of core game chat features. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lack of core game chat features. (/showthread.php?tid=2343)

Lack of core game chat features. - Evan - 06-21-2013

Anyone else severely dissapointed at this? You can't whisper your friends etc basically just because you're doing content. XI did this fine I'm pretty sure and hell WoW and EQ I think do it fine along with every current multiplayer game.. Yet they claim its impossible when it clearly isnt! Frustrated

How does this make this game even worth a sub, when it limits to you can only talk to non party/nonguild members when you ARENT in an instance? It doesnt make sense! This was enough to make me cancel my CE preorder since its basically butchering the multiplayer aspect of this game.

I know I'm raging a tad here, but honestly Square? You want to redeem yourselves for the failed launch yet you're leaving out core MMO functions to socialize? Reviews will eat you alive for this, you'll be known and the "MMO without core social functions", and if I read that headline and saw I cant do what every other game allows.. I wouldnt touch it, no matter how good everything else is. My friends included feel the same.

Just wondering you guy's thoughts.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Aysun - 06-22-2013

This is beta. You've got to remember, you are not just getting a free preview of the game. You are testing features. One of which is one that clearly upsets you. Provide feedback to SE on the beta forums, that's what they are for. We don't know if that is a permanent function or if it is just for stability at the moment, or if it will be changed come launch based on our feedback. Do your beta job, overreacting doesn't do any good.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - FreelanceWizard - 06-22-2013

Yep, post feedback about it. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much because it's not like all my time will be in instances. Also, there's an easy IC justification (in an instance, linkshell pearls get jammed, or maybe you don't want to talk into one and reveal your presence to your opponents).

Personally (as someone who writes software), Square's explanation of the problem is entirely sensible. When you enter an instance, you transfer to a completely different server -- where name collisions are a distinct possibility, especially with the Duty Finder being able to pull people into the instance server from other servers. As a basic problem case, how's the instance server supposed to know whether a tell is supposed to go to Gilgamesh's Cloud Strife or Balmung's Cloud Strife if you're in an instance and send a tell to that name?

Now, I can think of some ways to address this, but most of them rely on an independent chat server or at least a chat routing system. That's a lot of work to build and may not be possible with the game's server structure. Of course, the only way Square will devote resources to that is if you post feedback in the beta forums.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Viper - 06-23-2013

I was a bit befuddled by this particular feature, or rather lack there of as well for a time.  However I'm okay with it, especially now as I'm trying to embrace my long dormant role player.

Firstly, from a game perspective, chatting with my group is likely to be more productive than chatting with someone outside of it.  In fact chatting outside of it could become distracting and hinder my group. Yes, I understand that's reaching for straws for a decent justification, but it helps me sleep at night.

Secondly, from an RP perspective, well it's easy to come up with one reason or another that it just doesn't work IC.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Moonfire - 06-23-2013

I actually REALLY like this feature. It gives you a notification to tell you that they are in an instance. If it didn't then I could see it not being a good thing. It really isn't all that different from Deadly Boss mods in WoW.

Benefits:
 1) Helps you with immersion because you don't have distractions from your story.
2) Helps you to not be distracted in boss fights and battles. 
3) You have less chance of missing a /tell. I can't tell you how many times I was so involved with a fight that I missed someone talking to me in other games.

Negatives:
1) You have to wait til your friend isn't busy to talk to them.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Magellan - 06-23-2013

Yea, I kinda like this feature. I'm not one to ignore tells, and this will politely tell my friends that 'hey! I'm in the middle of something!'

However, I hope they replace reply tells with /r (instead of Alt + r)

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Aysun - 06-23-2013

(06-23-2013, 01:51 PM)Magellan Wrote: Yea, I kinda like this feature. I'm not one to ignore tells, and this will politely tell my friends that 'hey! I'm in the middle of something!'

However, I hope they replace reply tells with /r (instead of Alt + r)

Ah, they won't. Ctrl+r or Alt+r to reply has been the way to do it since XI. Sorry.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Kerr - 06-23-2013

The only instance that this gets annoying for me is when you have bad party members. And you want to talk to your other party members about said bad party member. Haha. I had that happen once or twice. But other than that, it hasn't be too much of a problem for me. Oh, and once I couldn't get advice from within a dungeon. Aside from those two instances, I don't have much of an issue at all.

RE: Lack of core game chat features. - Evan - 06-23-2013

(06-23-2013, 01:21 PM)Moonfire Wrote: I actually REALLY like this feature. It gives you a notification to tell you that they are in an instance. If it didn't then I could see it not being a good thing. It really isn't all that different from Deadly Boss mods in WoW.

Benefits:
 1) Helps you with immersion because you don't have distractions from your story.
2) Helps you to not be distracted in boss fights and battles. 
3) You have less chance of missing a /tell. I can't tell you how many times I was so involved with a fight that I missed someone talking to me in other games.

Negatives:
1) You have to wait til your friend isn't busy to talk to them.

From what I've experienced on Beta thus far I never recieve those missed messages even after the place is complete. Also, when I was using DBM in WoW (I only played during BC/WoTLK) I still got those messages, it just sent a generic reply to whoever sent it saying I'm fighting so and so and hes at HP=%..

I get cutting down distractions, cool, but I've been the MT in WoW, Tera, SWTOR.. I never wiped the group or messed up majorly cause of the fact I was whispering a friend during it. I understand not all have the ability to multitask that well but still... I dont like the fact a purely multiplayer game is limiting any social aspects.

Maybe I'm also a bit confused from what I experienced so far. I know LS's still work, they also say FC do also. (Still kinda confused as to what those are exactly, other then custom made groups of friends chat box? Or is that simply all it is?)

But with what I've had happen so far I notice that when a person either..
A) Trolled, then left. We had to run outside the instance to even try to get help or to whisper friends to see if they wanted to come. 
B) Shit out of luck until que from Duty Finder. (I know some games limit that also, Tera prevented inviting friends into those LFg groups as well)

I dunno.. it just bugs me. Am I the only one who experiences not ever getting the tells from a buddy after the instance? Or is it a bug as to me never getting em afterwards?

Worse comes to worse, I have my close friends link it to STEAM so I can use the STEAM overlay to message them if either of us have a question or to replace a person whose leaving after that 1 run. But still, the fact I can't send my friend a message asking about something no one else will reply to me about, untill their done with the whole run.. ugh.

(06-22-2013, 01:38 AM)Aysun Wrote: This is beta. You've got to remember, you are not just getting a free preview of the game. You are testing features. One of which is one that clearly upsets you. Provide feedback to SE on the beta forums, that's what they are for. We don't know if that is a permanent function or if it is just for stability at the moment, or if it will be changed come launch based on our feedback. Do your beta job, overreacting doesn't do any good.
I know this isnt a free preview,  I tested SWTOR and Tera from day 1. 
Only reason I made this post was because of the fact a mod replied stating that it is "impossible" when games that had no where near the tech they have now decades ago managed it.

And I am.. with the amount of negativity coming from the forums on the aspect, I imagine they will implement it in some way or something to quell a lot of post.