Hydaelyn Role-Players
Welcome to AA... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Welcome to AA... (/showthread.php?tid=2391)

Pages: 1 2

Welcome to AA... - Mara - 06-24-2013

Hi, my name is Heather, and I'm an altoholic.

It all began when I started playing WoW about two weeks after launch. By the time I ended my career of adventuring around Azeroth over six years later, I had close to 30 characters. A full roster of Alliance on one server, a full roster of Horde on another, and a handful of each spread around on various other servers.

The same process repeated itself in various other MMOs. Aion... Rift... The Secret World... Guild Wars 2... All of them found me making character after character and swapping randomly from one to the next in order to play with different classes and as parts of different factions. I had a problem. I know it, and I freely admit it.

More recently, however, I've broken the pattern with Tera. I have just two characters in that game. One for RP and one to futz around with my dad in PvE, since he just started playing, as well. I'm quite proud of myself. Smile

That's not to say that Tera is the only RP experience I have. Oh, no... Go back 15 years or so and you'll find my original roots back in the old-school WoD games (specifically Vampire and Mage). Most of my RP experience is from outside of any actual games, usually the more story-based play-by-post sort of stuff you find on message boards, though I did have a couple of friends in WoW who I used to get into trouble with ICly from time to time and now my RP character in Tera. I was once part of FFVII RP in which I eventually ended up as all of the Turks, so there's my previous link to role-playing in the FF-verse for you!

I wasn't in 1.0, so please don't expect me to be all up on things prior to that big O.S. moment. I'm still learning the details and trying to get things figured out, so do bear with me for being a total noob. But I already have a character pretty well fleshed out (currently working on getting everything down on paper, as it were, so I can publish a wiki page for her) and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself in beta so far. Right now I'm not really doing RP in beta, though. I'm just messing around and getting familiar with the game mechanics and whatnot and leaving the RP for when launch comes and everyone will be present and accounted for. Which isn't to say I'm not open for exploring future RP options/partnerships/groups at the moment. So anyone who's interested in having fun with a Black Mage pirate of sorts should feel free to drop me a line. Moogle

(Yeah... couldn't resist the Moogle.)

I'm not a "hardcore" player, by any means. I prefer as stress-free a gaming environment as possible, which is why I sort of stopped raiding and don't ever PvP. I'd rather be out picking flowers and running through dungeons or questing than getting ganked because I'm squishy or listening to the 30th fight over who gets the same piece of gear this time around. So I guess you'd call me more of a casual player. I'm also a total achievement whore. RP-wise, I'd say I'm mid-level. I'm not looking to be in-character with everything I say and do from the moment I log in until I log out. I like to get to know the people behind the characters, too. But when I'm IC, I'm no longer Heather. I'm Mara the Black. Wink

Um... Anything else about me... I tend to ramble, in case you couldn't already tell. I have a cat who I named Leon partly after the character from Resident Evil and partly after the incarnation of Squall from Kingdom Hearts. I love fantasy magic and mages. Every game I've ever played where there's an option to make one, that's the class I go for. This is one of the few times said mage I've made is not an elf/elven in appearance, because I also love elves. I love cute little things, too - like Hello Kitty and asuras and lalafells. Aside from MMOs, I enjoy fantasy RPGs (Dragon Age; The Witcher) and survival horror games (the Fatal Frame series being my favorite). I like watching anime and 1/3 of my iPod is Japanese music. I write fanfiction. Basically, I'm a huge nerd. But I like it that way. Oh! And Zarek is my partner-in-crime who bugged me to finally write this. So blame him for this super-long intro taking up your valuable time.

So, to summarize: This is my brain on drugs. (Don't worry, they're all legally prescribed medications.) Any questions?

RE: Welcome to AA... - Martiallais - 06-24-2013

Muwahaha! I welcome the blame for tugging you along here. Cool

RE: Welcome to AA... - Nova - 06-24-2013

Welcome to the mad house RPC! Here is a good link with lore information for 1.0 Lore

I am a new player also but if you have any questions or just wanna chat feel free to PM me.

RE: Welcome to AA... - Fearless - 06-24-2013

Hello Heather.  Welcome to the RPC, looking forward to seeing you around.

RE: Welcome to AA... - faceman7381 - 06-27-2013

Welcome to the RPC!

I would love to hear more about your character idea!

Pirates and mages seem destine to be together somehow!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Scarlet Willow - 06-27-2013

Hello and welcome~! Don't worry about not knowing the ins and outs of 1.0 (a lot of us are in the same boat, including me~), so do feel free to ask questions!

Also, Black Mage pirate sounds awesome o.o! Can't wait to see you in-game C:

RE: Welcome to AA... - Valan - 06-27-2013

Welcome

RE: Welcome to AA... - Mara - 06-27-2013

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys! Smile

I think I've got my head mostly wrapped around all the 1.0 lore. Still some things as far as in-game cultural practices go that I'm going to have to dig deeper into, though.

@faceman7381 - The wiki page I'm working on for Mara is about half finished. I might post it up a bit before I get it totally done, but I'm trying to get as much of it put together as I can before I reveal it to the public eye.

@Scarlet Willow - I love pirates and mages, lol... The combination was inevitably going to happen some day. This game seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so. Big Grin

RE: Welcome to AA... - Kari Illderthane - 06-27-2013

Welcome to the RPC many of us are new players here so don't be shy unless everyone is a Tonberry then be very shy they can sense your fear as they edge closer with their knife pointing at you taking one step at a time and then-wait what was I talking about again...Oh yea don't be shy!

Also you get a Moogle for liking The Witcher and another Moogle for liking Dragon age, although number 2 was a big let down..however you can still keep the Moogle because the first one was that awesome.

But yes any questions feel free to ask as a new player I can say this community is great for helping out new Chocobo's like myself!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Kerr - 06-27-2013

Pirate! Yar! I love pirates. Kerr is/was one. Wink Let's be pillaging friends!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Uther - 06-27-2013

Welcome!

And don't sweat being an altoholic, I'm one too. I had multiple characters in FFXI because "This hume doesn't fit the samurai attitude I'm going for." etc, etc... and that was before I was even RPing. I played WoW for eight years and got pretty much every class except priest to cap (I say cap because if a new expansion came out, some characters would be left behind since I wouldn't want to level through the new zone about 10 times) and had multiple characters on each faction across several servers. In this game I went through two character ideas before settling on Uther and even now, I'm thinking of a new character.

So don't worry, you're not alone!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Gerik - 06-27-2013

Welcome!

Mara looks gorgeousssss!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Elkabong419 - 06-27-2013

*places a pie down* Welcome!

RE: Welcome to AA... - Mara - 06-27-2013

Oooh... *noms on pie* Thank you, Elka! Smile

@Gerik - Thank you! Gerik is quite the handsome devil, as well! Wink I perused the Wiki page about him while figuring out how I want to set up mine.

@Uther - Is it safe to say your character's name was WoW-inspired? Glad to hear I'm not the only one who went a little overboard with the alts in that game!

@Kerr - You're on! I could totally use some pirating buddies. Let's see what sort of mischief we can get into! Evil

@Kari - Yeah... DA2 was a total disappointment. They rushed it too much to cash in on the first - and best - one's popularity. I'm... not sure about DA3, yet, though the new trailer revealing Morrigan sort of has me with low expectations because is means yet more retconning of decisions made by players. (i.e. Having the OG baby be around when the ritual wasn't done; her even being alive when someone chose to kill her in Witch Hunt.) I could really go on and on for hours with rants about the horrible inconsistencies, but I'll be good and stop there. Big Grin I'll probably still play DA3, but maybe not until after I hear what it's like. (And possibly pick it up super-cheap like I did the bundle off Amazon.)

Have you read the Witcher books? I'm still waiting on the third one to be released... And wondering which will come first: it or the third game.

RE: Welcome to AA... - Kari Illderthane - 06-27-2013

(06-27-2013, 07:25 PM)Mara Wrote: @Kari - Yeah... DA2 was a total disappointment. They rushed it too much to cash in on the first - and best - one's popularity. I'm... not sure about DA3, yet, though the new trailer revealing Morrigan sort of has me with low expectations because is means yet more retconning of decisions made by players. (i.e. Having the OG baby be around when the ritual wasn't done; her even being alive when someone chose to kill her in Witch Hunt.) I could really go on and on for hours with rants about the horrible inconsistencies, but I'll be good and stop there. Big Grin I'll probably still play DA3, but maybe not until after I hear what it's like. (And possibly pick it up super-cheap like I did the bundle off Amazon.)

Have you read the Witcher books? I'm still waiting on the third one to be released... And wondering which will come first: it or the third game.
I agree about DA3 they have alot to make up for DA2 and as for the decisions about Morrigan dying if you killed her in witch hunt DLC I think that they will pull a Flemeth card saying she always comes back >_> Sadly Bioware has been going downhill a bit for me. If you like the original DA game try Baldurs gate 2 Shadow of Amn it's an amazing game and the orginal DA is the spiritual successor to it. Although a company called Beamdog (I have no idea what a Beamdog is!) is doing an enhanced edition of it. as well as working on Baldurs gate 3!

I have not read the books but I have played both games! also watched the polish tv series for a bit with subtitles. from what I have heard the Witcher 3 has over 100 hours of game play.