Hydaelyn Role-Players
Clan mixing? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Clan mixing? (/showthread.php?tid=2626)

Pages: 1 2 3

Clan mixing? - D R E N - 07-05-2013

I've been using this morning as an opportunity to create Yaein Mayweather's parents in FFXIV. I was wondering if mixing a Midlander and a Highlander goes against lore? I don't see why it should, but I do know that there really isn't a "half" anything in this game, so I just wanted to be sure.

RE: Clan mixing? - Mtoto Wamoto - 07-05-2013

(07-05-2013, 08:40 AM)Yaein Mayweather Wrote: I've been using this morning as an opportunity to create Yaein Mayweather's parents in FFXIV. I was wondering if mixing a Midlander and a Highlander goes against lore? I don't see why it should, but I do know that there really isn't a "half" anything in this game, so I just wanted to be sure.

I don't see why it would go against lore, they're both Hyur after all.

And even if they weren't both Hyur, SE has already confirmed that races can cross breed. We just haven't seen any notable examples within the game's lore/plot line yet.

RE: Clan mixing? - Ashren Dotharl - 07-05-2013

There aren't any half breeds (to my knowledge) I believe because the mechanics don't allow it, though I don't see why that should stop you from roleplaying as one regardless!

I plan to have Ashren be of mixed parentage, but mainly because the society of the Keepers suits my ideas more than the Seepers, but the customization options for the Seekers (skintone primarily, but also the slitted eyes) fits his appearance more. So I planned to have his father be a Seeker and his mother a Keeper, though he was raised by his mother and never met his father.

RE: Clan mixing? - Mtoto Wamoto - 07-05-2013

Figured I'd cite my sources.

Quote:Can different races crossbreed? 

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

RE: Clan mixing? - Asyria - 07-05-2013

A half mid half high shouldn't be hard to do. Just pick either a very tall mid or a rather small high, I guess.

RE: Clan mixing? - Martiallais - 07-05-2013

Just to chime in that you aren't alone on this, Zarek actually is a 'mixed heritage hyur' (props to Mara for coining that one LOL). Gospel also confirmed that it was lore okay during my barrage of questions for him. Cool

For what it's worth, I'm going (ingame) with a max height midlander, rp'ing him as just above the midlander height (on the chart posted elsewhere on the forum).

RE: Clan mixing? - Koninbeor - 07-05-2013

(07-05-2013, 08:55 AM)Mtoto Wamoto Wrote: Figured I'd cite my sources.

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

This is in reference to races, not clans within the races. It sounds to me as if they've almost gone the direction of Star Wars. In Star Wars, half-breeds are so exceedingly rare that one might as well consider it impossible. Even cross breeding between humans and demihumans is only mentioned a couple of times. And then usually with some odd and unwanted side effects. But again, this is between races. Let's say we have two humans, one from Coruscant (Midlander), and one from Corellia (Highlander). As they are both actual humans, just from different regions of the galaxy, they would have absolutely no trouble at all having children. There are multitudes of examples of this taking place.

The only barriers you have to creating a character that is half Midlander and half Highlander are regional and cultural. If you can explain in your background why two humans who don't live in the same region and who have vastly different life views have found each other and can actually stand each other enough to have a child (or a far, far less happy scenario...) then there's no reason at all that this could not come to pass. They would have no more trouble than two Midlanders or two Highlanders.

RE: Clan mixing? - Adelpha - 07-05-2013

I would imagine that clan-mixing is quite common, at least moreso than species-mixing (which is still confirmed to exist, but probably isn't super common). Don't worry about it!

(FTR, Adelpha is mixed midlander/highlander too, so you're not alone.)

RE: Clan mixing? - Koninbeor - 07-05-2013

(07-05-2013, 12:10 PM)Adelpha Wrote: I would imagine that clan-mixing is quite common, at least moreso than species-mixing.

(FTR, Adelpha is mixed midlander/highlander too, so you're not alone.)

I thought she was a half-vampire demigod princess?

RE: Clan mixing? - Adelpha - 07-05-2013

(07-05-2013, 12:13 PM)Koninbeor Wrote: I thought she was a half-vampire demigod princess?
Only on weekends.

RE: Clan mixing? - moody - 07-05-2013

I'm looking at making mine a mixed plainsfolk/dunesfolk lala. 

Honestly though, who would likely notice?

RE: Clan mixing? - Aysun - 07-05-2013

Well that's the thing about mixing. In game we don't have any blatant "mixed" NPCs, so it's always seemed to me that if it happens, the child will look more like one parent or the other in terms of clan/race attributes. Smile The cultural barriers would be the big ones separating the clans as much as the races. Keepers are nocturnal, Seekers are diurnal, for example, not to mention the different hierarchy in their tribes. Things like that.

Not to say that love doesn't conquer all though. Heart

RE: Clan mixing? - moody - 07-06-2013

(07-05-2013, 05:11 PM)Aysun Wrote: Well that's the thing about mixing. In game we don't have any blatant "mixed" NPCs, so it's always seemed to me that if it happens, the child will look more like one parent or the other in terms of clan/race attributes. Smile The cultural barriers would be the big ones separating the clans as much as the races. Keepers are nocturnal, Seekers are diurnal, for example, not to mention the different hierarchy in their tribes. Things like that.

Not to say that love doesn't conquer all though. Heart

Heck with love. I just hate the dunesfolk naming convention but like the goatee and eyes and I couldn't think of a good reason that Lalafell wouldn't interbreed once they were in a city. 

Tonberry

RE: Clan mixing? - Koninbeor - 07-06-2013

(07-06-2013, 10:24 AM)moody Wrote: Heck with love. I just hate the dunesfolk naming convention but like the goatee and eyes and I couldn't think of a good reason that Lalafell wouldn't interbreed once they were in a city. 

Tonberry

Pheromones.

RE: Clan mixing? - LandStander - 07-06-2013

(07-05-2013, 08:55 AM)Mtoto Wamoto Wrote: Figured I'd cite my sources.

Ooooh, I didn't know races could crossbreed. That is really interesting. 

I didn't realize so many would be going the same route I was with having parents from different clans. But yeah, I don't think there is any reason that clans cannot mix. Think of the clans like the different human races. We are all the same, just have different physical traits because of where our ancestors decided to stay on their migratory path around the world.