Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lets have a go at this - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Lets have a go at this (/showthread.php?tid=2669)

Pages: 1 2

Lets have a go at this - Rosekitten - 07-07-2013

I suppose I should introduce myself. Most seem to call me Rose, I tend to use the same username among forum sites at the least. Lets see what else to really say here... I am a experienced rp'er though I have never tried my hand at really rp'ing in a mmo. So stepping out of my norm here and I want to give this the best shot I can. Honestly i can admit to being a bit nervous about it, no idea why but in the past when I did try to rp in a game I didn't do very well because of not knowing what to do and well not really having the nerve to stick with it. 

What else to say, I sort of have a character in mind. Odds are I will be playing a male character, I don't rp females very well as they end up to be copies of parts of my own personality. Um I guess any help is very much welcome, I have been looking through the helpful links and such to try and make sure that the character I have in mind will work and the story I already have formed out for him. I did quite a bit of research before coming to this site as I was trying to apply on the Balmung server. Though I am not a returning 1.0 character or a legacy member so I am unsure how that application will go.

I have a extensive mmorpg background, though I have never tried to rp in a game save a handful of short sessions that I'm not sure I wish to count as experience. Well I think that is about it. If I think of anything else I can edit this post and add to it. Either way from what I saw of the community by browsing the forums it seems like like a friendly group. I hope I get the chance to meet some of you. ^^;

Summary instead of the wall of text I posted above:

--MMORPG background - played countless, WoW, Rift, Tera, Aion. As I said tons, those are just a few.
--RP experience - extensive as far as forum rp's go, I have very little in mmo's
--Character ideas/info
--How did you learn about the coalition? - um a blog post somewhere... they linked it to here and I cannot find that post now.
--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy? - Medium? I might need to figure out what the different levels mean here but I think the middle ground would be good for me.
--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc) - 24 year old mother, my daughter is one and keeps me a little busy at times. I have a few hobbies though mostly they are drawing and writing. I currently do not have a job (unless tending to the wee one counts).

RE: Lets have a go at this - Jonexe - 07-07-2013

Welcome!

There's no application for Balmung. You simply make your character there like any other. You're not alone... many people here do not have legacy characters (or if they do, haven't RP'd them... like myself!) that will be playing on Balmung. 

If you'd like more of a 'fresh' start when the game releases, Gilgamesh is the non-legacy server where other like minded folks are heading for RP.

RE: Lets have a go at this - Rosekitten - 07-07-2013

Yes I saw the Gilgamesh was a non legacy rp server. I might end up going there. I meant that I have a application for a group on Balmung if that makes sense. ^^; Though I am unsure on how that will turn out so I wanted to keep my options open. Plus being new to rp'ing in a game and trying to merge my character with a group that has been together form the start of FFXIV I am more then nervous.

RE: Lets have a go at this - Jonexe - 07-07-2013

(07-07-2013, 09:04 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: Yes I saw the Gilgamesh was a non legacy rp server. I might end up going there. I meant that I have a application for a group on Balmung if that makes sense. ^^; Though I am unsure on how that will turn out so I wanted to keep my options open. Plus being new to rp'ing in a game and trying to merge my character with a group that has been together form the start of FFXIV I am more then nervous.
I feel yah. I haven't RP'd at all either. My 'legacy' character got to uh... level 24 CNJ and 11 THM. Not much of a preexisting character at all Tongue But I'll be on Balmung because I don't entirely want to start over.

From the people I've met on here (and in Skype!) you can't go wrong with either server... or both! Good luck!

RE: Lets have a go at this - Gideon Aryeh - 07-07-2013

(07-07-2013, 09:04 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: Yes I saw the Gilgamesh was a non legacy rp server. I might end up going there. I meant that I have a application for a group on Balmung if that makes sense. ^^; Though I am unsure on how that will turn out so I wanted to keep my options open. Plus being new to rp'ing in a game and trying to merge my character with a group that has been together form the start of FFXIV I am more then nervous.
Don't let the legacy status of the server bother you. More vets means more teachers. Just look at it that way.  There will also be a lot of new players free companies and the like on Balmung as well. You won't be the only new person by far.

I'll be on Gilgamesh helping the community there if that's where you choose to go.

I don't have the free time for both sadly. I have been playing the beta on the Balmung server. Though I've only gotten to level 15 where I switched servers to see what the chat and stuff was like, at least a feel for it anyway. I don't think it matters really starting on a legacy server or not, after (6 months?) some time the people on legacy that were forced to start there can switch servers anyway. I do kind of like the idea of being on a server that people might have a better idea of what they are doing game content wise, though on that same note it worries me for the marketplace but we'll see. 

So far anyone I've met on the server have been great, though I have been a little anti social due to anything being done during beta being wiped and all. ^^;

(07-07-2013, 09:17 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: Don't let the legacy status of the server bother you. More vets means more teachers. Just look at it that way.  There will also be a lot of new players free companies and the like on Balmung as well. You won't be the only new person by far.

I'll be on Gilgamesh helping the community there if that's where you choose to go.
Oh that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother my husband. He seems a bit tense by being on a legacy server, though he's not much of a rp'er so .. it is more of my choice on where we end up.

RE: Lets have a go at this - Gideon Aryeh - 07-07-2013

(07-07-2013, 09:18 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: I don't have the free time for both sadly. I have been playing the beta on the Balmung server. Though I've only gotten to level 15 where I switched servers to see what the chat and stuff was like, at least a feel for it anyway. I don't think it matters really starting on a legacy server or not, after (6 months?) some time the people on legacy that were forced to start there can switch servers anyway. I do kind of like the idea of being on a server that people might have a better idea of what they are doing game content wise, though on that same note it worries me for the marketplace but we'll see. 

So far anyone I've met on the server have been great, though I have been a little anti social due to anything being done during beta being wiped and all. ^^;

(07-07-2013, 09:17 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: Don't let the legacy status of the server bother you. More vets means more teachers. Just look at it that way.  There will also be a lot of new players free companies and the like on Balmung as well. You won't be the only new person by far.

Oh that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother my husband. He seems a bit tense by being on a legacy server, though he's not much of a rp'er so .. it is more of my choice on where we end up.
Makes sense see you on the server then if that :is where you decide to go. Any questions feel free to ask!

RE: Lets have a go at this - Kassandra Dawn - 07-07-2013

Welcome to the RPC!

RE: Lets have a go at this - Kyatai - 07-07-2013

Hi Big Grin
Welcome to the RPC! Rest assured, whichever server you choose- Gilgamesh or Balmung- you'll be among great people IC and OOC. But don't let the stress of beginning your RP journey on a Legacy server deter you. There will be a LOT of new RPers (and new RPers to FF- like me!) on Balmung...
Choose the one that seems to 'feel' best.
There are several threads discussing the differences, what each has to offer and so on- but it just boils down to this:
BRAND NEW START: Gilgamesh
ACCESS TO EXPERIENCED LOREMASTERS IG: Balmung

That said... this site is rife with lore and regardless of server, the members here are very open and willing to share their accumulated knowledge from Final Fantasy overall & 1.0.
If endgame and monetary issues are a concern, (aka the Legacies having max levels and more gil than newbies, therefore borking the economy)... let that go. The number of Legacies (esp RPing Legacies) is expected to be MUCH less than the newcomers- such that it shouldn't be an issue at all.
Besides, with the level adjustments, total game revamp, and so on... most will want to play the game "all over again"? anyway... hehe
OR just spend more time focusing on the RP than the PvE.
Either way, win for me.

Rock and the crew forming on Gilgamesh have been hard at work building a strong RP community as well.
But I'm biased...Tonberry
Good luck in your search!!!

RE: Lets have a go at this - Aysun - 07-07-2013

(07-07-2013, 09:18 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: I don't have the free time for both sadly. I have been playing the beta on the Balmung server. Though I've only gotten to level 15 where I switched servers to see what the chat and stuff was like, at least a feel for it anyway. I don't think it matters really starting on a legacy server or not, after (6 months?) some time the people on legacy that were forced to start there can switch servers anyway. I do kind of like the idea of being on a server that people might have a better idea of what they are doing game content wise, though on that same note it worries me for the marketplace but we'll see. 

Balmung is the main RP server around here and has been for awhile (though it was Besaid before that), but there were people who wanted a fresh economy and stuff, so they voted Gilgamesh to be their non-legacy option so they weren't spread out all over the non-legacy servers. While the legacy characters are indeed "stuck" on Balmung, I don't think many of us will be transferring when the option is available unless SE names an official RP server. I do hope that the legacy title doesn't scare people off. I know plenty of new people will be starting there as well to join us, as well as many of the 1.0 characters starting over completely to experience the game fresh will still be on Balmung. Smile

I'm sure you'll be happy which ever server you choose though! Smile

Odds are I'll be on Balmung, I have made a few friends even if it turns out I'm not suited for their group that they have. I'm new to the game as a whole so I don't know prices anyway. I was worried about there being a lack of lower level characters on the server but a lot that I have talked to are making new characters just to see the story and all. Plus even during the beta there isn't really a lack of players, minus the strange times I tend to be online.

RE: Lets have a go at this - Elkabong419 - 07-08-2013

*places a pie down* Welcome!

RE: Lets have a go at this - Rosekitten - 07-08-2013

o-o Whats this... they have pie here? : o

RE: Lets have a go at this - Xenedra - 07-08-2013

Pie AND cupcakes! We aim to please~ Welcome :)

RE: Lets have a go at this - Rosekitten - 07-08-2013

Thank you for the welcome ^-^ 

Gods.. pie and cupcakes. I may never leave or if i do I might be fat. D: