Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters (/showthread.php?tid=2830)

Pages: 1 2

[Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Chocobald - 07-15-2013

Hey there fellow Hydaelyn Roleplayers!
As I struggled to decide which archetype of Roegadyn I am about to choose for my main, I decided to open up the thread and hear about others:

What are your expectations with Roegadyn RP? It's probably the less popular race in the game period so seeing the big fellas and ladies would be something far and between. Any surprises? Going for that big and muscular Scholar of your dreams? Or are you going to be a traditional Sea Wolf and play him/her as a marauder?

For me I'm hung on two concepts (Feel free to give your opinion):

- The overly cheerful gladiator

A Hellsguard mercenary who once sold his craft at a gladiatorial event and the roar of the crowd conquered his heart, he strives to dress in the most over the top armor and outfits he can find and try to put on a performance not only in the arena, but outside of it as well. His big and outrageous persona is nothing but myth making, in particular to impress the kids. Kids who line up to buy a ticket and see their champion beat the bad guy at the arena!
Though outside character he is a calm and humble, once he dons his colorful vests it's almost like he transformed into a warrior of legend - Even if it's just make believe. 

(The reasons for this particular character embrace children and striving to be a champion for them would be something to come out from his background.)

- Cute yet Brash Sea Wolf

A young, cheerful Sea Wolf who has a heart for adventure. He was born to a fisherman couple and grew up hearing tales of the sea, created by his father. He wanted to believe so hard on the fisherman's tale he decided to become an adventurer himself and make the bed times stories a reality. With axe in hand and with a thirst for action, this youngster will cut anything in front of him with glee.

(The concept of "A young Roegadyn" kept poping in my head. How would their kids act? How would a Roegadyn kid mature into an adult? This concept is of a very immature character that would have his grownth by interaction.)

Feel free to use this thread to post your own concepts, archetypes, hopes and dreams! If it's Roegadyn related, you got a reader in me.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Torn Sky - 07-15-2013

Not that we're very numerous, I don't think I've seen any Roegadyn going for fresh and young with their character concept. My own is going to be in her 30s. However, I really, really love your idea for the Hellsguard gladiator. I find it quite cute and I feel like it would be a blast to RP on top of that.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Monogatari - 07-15-2013

Oh my gosh. I love both ideas. I can't really comment on the expectations of roegadyn RP, but I absolutely adore either and both of these concepts. I'd love to RP with you. Have you decided on a server yet?

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Caysen - 07-15-2013

My main isn't a Roegadyn, but I'm playing around with the idea of making one as an alt. No idea what I'm gonna do with one, but I like their naming schemes.

As for your character ideas, they're both great but the first one pops out to me a bit more. Seems like he would be an interesting character to interact with.

But I can't help but think that you could somehow mix them. Your idea of a young somewhat immature Roegadyn could fit the boisterous gladiator very well.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Chocobald - 07-15-2013

Quote:
Quote:Not that we're very numerous, I don't think I've seen any Roegadyn going for fresh and young with their character concept. My own is going to be in her 30s. However, I really, really love your idea for the Hellsguard gladiator. I find it quite cute and I feel like it would be a blast to RP on top of that.
Your particular Roegadyn looks so elegant, I actually though it was an Elezen at first when I saw you posting her. I'm glad you enjoyed it! So far I'm leaning gladiator myself. Bringing something cheerful and colorful to the rp table is something I really enjoy doing, I RPed for years as a luchador in champions online and it kinda rubs into my other MMO characters. I just don't want to go overboard with it so it gets annoying, moderation is the key.

Quote:Oh my gosh. I love both ideas. I can't really comment on the expectations of roegadyn RP, but I absolutely adore either and both of these concepts. I'd love to RP with you. Have you decided on a server yet?

At first I was leaning Gilgamesh but I had a blast teaming up with Balmung players so I'm torn, but for now I think I'll try to have a main on Balmung and another character in Gilgamesh trying to help them build up their community.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad someone enjoyed it as much as I did! I really like Roegadyn lore and it kinda inspired me.

EDIT: I screwed up quoting. Seriously. How can someone screw quotation?

Quote:My main isn't a Roegadyn, but I'm playing around with the idea of making one as an alt. No idea what I'm gonna do with one, but I like their naming schemes.

As for your character ideas, they're both great but the first one pops out to me a bit more. Seems like he would be an interesting character to interact with.

But I can't help but think that you could somehow mix them. Your idea of a young somewhat immature Roegadyn could fit the boisterous gladiator very well.

Ooh you might be into something there! Maybe I could combine them both for a young boisterous gladiator from the Hellsguard clan. I had his apperance saved as someone looking on his thirties, but I guess I can work to make him look younger.

Quote:At first I was leaning Gilgamesh but I had a blast teaming up with Balmung players so I'm torn, but for now I think I'll try to have a main on Balmung and another character in Gilgamesh trying to help them build up their community.

(Ahhh, thank you. <3) In that case, you could still utilize both character concepts? Moogle
I usually have one main character, one alt I play more than the rest, and a merry band of others that I mess around with whenever the mood strikes me. I have the issue of coming up with a ton of concepts and I have a hard time narrowing the pack down to just one or two characters.

My Roe might fit 'big and muscular scholar' a bit, haha. I went for a DoM heavy Hellsguard and chose to make her native/non-cityborn so she'd still have that mystical feeling that surrounds their lore. Yet after coming down from Abalathia and adventuring for over a decade, she's also well-adapted to the city at this point in her life. She's a researcher/expeditionist type and very gung-ho about what she does. I'm still working it out because I fear it's not very original, but that's the groundwork of it.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Chocobald - 07-15-2013

(07-15-2013, 11:42 PM)Torn Sky Wrote:
Quote:At first I was leaning Gilgamesh but I had a blast teaming up with Balmung players so I'm torn, but for now I think I'll try to have a main on Balmung and another character in Gilgamesh trying to help them build up their community.

(Ahhh, thank you. <3) In that case, you could still utilize both character concepts? Moogle
I usually have one main character, one alt I play more than the rest, and a merry band of others that I mess around with whenever the mood strikes me. I have the issue of coming up with a ton of concepts and I have a hard time narrowing the pack down to just one or two characters.

My Roe might fit 'big and muscular scholar' a bit, haha. I went for a DoM heavy Hellsguard and chose to make her native/non-cityborn so she'd still have that mystical feeling that surrounds their lore. Yet after coming down from Abalathia and adventuring for over a decade, she's also well-adapted to the city at this point in her life. She's a researcher/expeditionist type and very gung-ho about what she does. I'm still working it out because I fear it's not very original, but that's the groundwork of it.

Yeah the idea was that the "main" would be decided by these two concepts and the other one would pop in Gilgamesh as an alt.

Honestly while that concept isn't that original (like you stated) I feel it's quite interesting nonetheless. A brave scholar type, a Roegadyn "Indiana Jones"-like character who isn't afraid to go to crazy expeditions in Eorzea sounds like a blast to RP as and with so I can see what you mean! You will be playing in Balmung yes?

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Scarlet Willow - 07-15-2013

/Roegaydn high five! Both of your ideas are fantastic, but I'm absolutely in love with your first character concept - he almost comes off as a superhero of sorts; putting on an outfit and battling it out in the arena for the kids to watch him beat up the bad guy. I'll have to agree with Torn Sky on this and say I've yet to see anyone going for the fresh young thang niche, but it's something new and it sounds like it would be a blast to play around with C:

(07-15-2013, 11:46 PM)Chocobald Wrote:
(07-15-2013, 11:42 PM)Torn Sky Wrote:

Yeah the idea was that the "main" would be decided by these two concepts and the other one would pop in Gilgamesh as an alt.

Honestly while that concept isn't that original (like you stated) I feel it's quite interesting nonetheless. A brave scholar type, a Roegadyn "Indiana Jones"-like character who isn't afraid to go to crazy expeditions in Eorzea sounds like a blast to RP as and with so I can see what you mean! You will be playing in Balmung yes?

Yep, I'm going with Balmung as my primary server of the two.

I don't think she'll be Indiana Jones-level epic, but then again she did grow up on a volcano. I'm still trying to think of some twist that meshes well, or a different concept that's also fitting. Although I may just ride with it because it's true that being a Roegadyn already makes her stand out from similar characters.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Chocobald - 07-16-2013

Quote:Although I may just ride with it because it's true that being a Roegadyn already makes her stand out from similar characters.

It's not everyday you get to play a giantess-like character that was born in a volcano set to uncover the arcane secrets of the world one dungeon at a time! Even if the base concept is tried and true, the Roegadyn mix makes it fresh again, I'll agree to that.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Darcey - 07-16-2013

My Roegadyn is a young sea wolf pirate! 
Being born and raised in Limsa Lominsa, and fed a diet of pirate stories, the young man naturally took to the sea as soon as he was able. However, those pirate stories were more fiction than fact and he quickly realized that in order to live out his pirate dreams that he would have to be more fiction than fact.

He speaks with an aggrandized pattern of pirate speak and nautical terms. Pretends to be a bit on the daft side, and is always boisterous and bold! He doesn't drink, yet always has a flagon with him, and you'd swear he was usually drunk. He is, however, a very good sailor and warrior. The rest is an act based upon what he believes pirates should be. 

It is a similar theme to your gladiator! I swear I didn't steal it!

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Asyria - 07-16-2013

My Roegadyn is an overly cheerful cute and brash Sea Wolf "gladiator" (as in she fights for gil and glory, her actual class is Pugilist). *nods*

Okay so she's not really -that- cheerful, she just likes to have fun. And fun often implies a brawl. Her mother was one of those very few Sea Wolves who were still going with the old Roegadyn pirate lifestyle and her father was a fisherman with more heart and bravery then most and he stole the mother's heart and took the lady pirate out of piracy and into settling down.

So my Roegirl ended up raised a decent person but her mother's stories gave her a real thirst for adventure and loot. Before going out to the sea or something, though, she went to Ul'dah to master brawling.

Also, I'm partial to the OP's 2nd character concept because I'll always be partial to pirates. *nods*

Pirates! We put the Arr! in FF XIV ARR.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Desmond Aryll - 07-16-2013

The first idea is awesome! I thought I was sold on it till I read the second idea.
It's a shame you can't do both. Simultaneously I mean. Those two characters together would be quite memorable. The Rp writes itself.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Duplicitous Rex - 07-16-2013

My Hellsguard, Klarimel, is a brigand, thief, con man, and a tremendous jerk. In his early 30's, he still acts like a bully, happily taking what he wants from those who can't stop him and trying to assert his dominance over the people he meets. Self-assured and confident, he stays cool under pressure and is more than willing to run away when the odds are against him.

Basically he's a huge douchebag and few characters will actually enjoy his company, but I find his type helps generate entertaining RP for the players. Hope to see ya'll in game.

RE: [Discussion] Roegadyn Characters - Macey - 07-17-2013

My character is a Hellsguard who was orphaned after the last great war and raised by Sea Wolf nuns. She was extremely tall as a child and developed an extremely bossy and hot tempered attitude and thus the nuns mockingly named her Klynsywrkoena Abarthota, which means Small Big Queen Lone Daughter. Abarthota, her last name, being the name all the orphans were given and one she despised.

After coming of age, she left for Ul-dah, where her class and name would have no meaning and where her future would depend solely on the strength of her sword hand. True to her Hellsguard blood, she dropped her last name and decided to translate her first name into common tongue. Unfortunately, due to a misinterpretation of 'Small-Big' and a slightly lazy Lalafel registration clerk, her new name came out as Size Queen.

It took several years, and more than a few violent rebuffs of unsolicited sexual advances, for her to fully understand her new name's double entendre. But by that time she had grown accustomed to it and had developed a reputation around it, so she decided to own it.

Size Queen still has major anger issues and is easily provoked, but is fairly disciplined otherwise. Although she is quick witted, she lacks the patience for magic and prefers trades that rely on her repeatedly hitting things very hard. And despite her best intentions to portray professionalism, her large stature and name often elicits a comedic response from most. Thus poor Size Queen is forever trying to prove herself a competent sellsword amongst a sea of perverts, hecklers and jokers.

[Image: nxkq.png]

[Image: aqvf.png]

[Image: zr8o.png]