Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help me decide a name! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Help me decide a name! (/showthread.php?tid=2866)

Help me decide a name! - lady2beetle - 07-16-2013

Building on the idea of a young woman who doesn't remember anything from more than a few years ago, I wanted a name that meant something along the lines of 'mystery'. I found a few options. Help me pick!

Personality-wise, she'll be serious and a little shy around others, though a survivor. Intelligent, but naive due to not knowing the cultures she's surrounded by. So I want a name that isn't too goofy or too exotic. Help me pick!

RE: Help me decide a name! - Nox - 07-16-2013

What race were you thinking? Then, of that race, what clan were you thinking? Did she name herself or does she remember her birth name? I'm happy to help, I just need to know specifics.

RE: Help me decide a name! - lady2beetle - 07-16-2013

She's definitely Hyur, but I don't know if she'd be a midlander or highlander. She's a native of the Garlean Empire, so that may be a different subrace entirely. She knows her birth name - she was told that when she survived the 'accident'. But she changed her surname when she fled the empire, I think. (I'm half making this up as I go along.)

RE: Help me decide a name! - Teardrop - 07-16-2013

Well, I was going for "cutest", until you said she was from the Garlean Empire.  Then I went with the most militaristic-sounding Blush

(07-16-2013, 10:31 PM)Teardrop Wrote: Well, I was going for "cutest", until you said she was from the Garlean Empire.  Then I went with the most militaristic-sounding Blush
Hahaha! Fair enough. Wink

RE: Help me decide a name! - Nox - 07-16-2013

Ah, a poll. Sweet, I was about to hit the books. I went with the one I thought fit the bill the best, in my mind.

(07-16-2013, 10:34 PM)Nox Wrote: Ah, a poll. Sweet, I was about to hit the books. I went with the one I thought fit the bill the best, in my mind.
 Well, I'll also happily take any other suggestions you might have, especially regarding a surname. Big Grin

RE: Help me decide a name! - FreelanceWizard - 07-16-2013

I love Calypso as a name, just generally. Stylistically, it meshes well with the Garlean names (which tend to be Latin or, at least, Latin-esque). It also, thanks to certain video games, has a vague connotation of "madness" to me, which ties in well to the Empire.

EDIT: Ah, since you mentioned surnames, you probably want to go Latin or Latin-esque. The Empire has a serious Roman Empire angle to it, and you'll want to keep with that unless your character is specifically trying to hide her nature.

(07-16-2013, 10:43 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Ah, since you mentioned surnames, you probably want to go Latin or Latin-esque. The Empire has a serious Roman Empire angle to it, and you'll want to keep with that unless your character is specifically trying to hide her nature.
Ooh that's a good point. I was considering Dawning for a surname since it represents a fresh start for her. Maybe ill look up Latin translations for "dawn"...

RE: Help me decide a name! - Naunet - 07-16-2013

I really like "Gizem" as a name. It rolls off the tongue well and is fairly unique. But that's just my person tastes. ^^ A little powerful, with a bite to the sound that could give it the strength that a Garlean name should have.

RE: Help me decide a name! - Martiallais - 07-17-2013

Went with Leta, I felt like it had a good feel to it, personally. Smile

RE: Help me decide a name! - Valan - 07-17-2013

For garlean characters latin and italian names are a good choice (even greek names IMHO)but if your character flee from the empire and change her name maybe a more eorze-esque names are more suitable.

btw Velia doesn't mean "concealed" in italian but "from velia" an ancient greek city

RE: Help me decide a name! - lady2beetle - 07-17-2013

Thank you for everyone's input! Heart

I think at this point I will go ahead and give her 2 names - her old, Garlean name and her new name which she gave herself when she left the empire.

New name: Runa Dawning

So, I just have to come up with a good latin/italian/greek surname and I'll be set. Now at least I can start working on her wiki page - I couldn't do that without a name! Laugh

On a side note, it really is fascinating how the poll is turning out - there's really no single winner!