Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Duskwight Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Duskwight Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=2947)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Twinflame - 07-25-2013

Or we could just start a new thread, which would be prudent for the Linkshell anyway. But before we did that, we'd want to have the write-up for the Linkshell settled and have more information on the various clans. We could also do a wikipedia entry about Duskwight clans and list what we know of them there. I haven't exactly done a write-up on Clan Desfosse (Megiddo's clan) but I know everything in my head. One thing about these clans is that a lot of them are defunct thanks to the Calamity or just the pressures of the surface world, which is obviously unfortunate.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 07-25-2013

(07-25-2013, 07:08 PM)Twinflame Wrote: Eva, was your Clan Plunierre one of Oskar's Northwest clans, or was it a different clan? I also might have missed if Teardrop or Kyatai have names for their clans?

No, Plunierre Clan would not be related to the Northwest clans.  Many of the concepts that went into Eva's ancestral group were borrowed from variations on what Oskar was doing at the time, I admit. And her clan probably wouldn't have been located terribly far from them, but Eva's group was definitely located beneath Coerthas (prior to its destruction as a direct result of the events of the Calamity, the tunnels were accessed from a cave opening near the Twinpools area of the Western Highlands of Coerthas).

Having been wiped out, it is something of a moot point now, but historically it would make sense that some of the other clans might have heard of them or even had interactions with some of them - (a representative coming up to trade fish or mushrooms or precious gemstones for clothing or beeswax).  They were a very peaceful people though, by comparison to Oskar's group, and many of the others from what I've read.

With regards to the OP, I can add another section listing the specific clans that have been mentioned thus far and perhaps offering a few quick phrases to describe the clan and then providing a link (or links) to the specific posts that provide more detailed information.

To give an example something like:

Name:  Plunierre Clan
Theme: Traditional, peaceful, underground waterfall, valued light/candles, valued written word
Member(s): Eva (removed by 2 generations but visited prior to its destruction)
More Info:  [link1] [link2] [link3] etc. (these would actually link to the specific posts within this thread pertaining to that clan)

It would be a bit of an undertaking but if everyone could provide the information I'd be glad to edit it in. Or someone could go about making a wiki page as well if that would make more sense (which it might since it would be something we could all edit, but I'm still wrestling with fixing up my own page there so I wouldn't want to draw it up from scratch).

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Twinflame - 07-26-2013

I would gladly edit my clan's info into a wiki page if one was made, but I've no idea how to utilize the wiki. I haven't so much as looked at it, so I've got no page up for Megs or my alts or clan or anything. It's on my to-do list, though, so if nobody else does, I very well may at some point! Just have to finish making my family tree and writing my Monk play guide and...

In the meantime, though! I can do one of these:

Name:  Clan Desfosse
Theme: Family above all else, thieves and assassins, conflict with the overlanders
Member(s): Megiddo Desfosse (Elder Megiddo), Louree Desfosse
More Info:

Incidentally, Eva, the reason I'm saying "Clan Desfosse" instead of "Desfosse Clan" is because Clan is the same word in French as it is in English. So "Clan Desfosse" translates directly to "Clan from the pit". Which means your clan name implies, "Stone Rain Clan," and that is just cool. xD

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Teardrop - 07-27-2013

Ok, so I've started an extremely simple wiki page, based on the few category items Eva and Twinflame listed. All one needs to do is jump in and start editing one of the empty areas to record their info. If there are no empty ones, I'll see if I can make a template that will stay blank, for copy/past purposes Big Grin.
(*edit: Which I have done so. So if you know how to copy and paste the wiki coding, you can choose to "edit" the blank entry found right below the bold introduction, find the empty area below everyone else's listings, paste, and fill in the blanks. Thumbsup )

Here is the link to "Duskwight Clans". It is found within the "Lore/Literature" section of the wiki.

I figure we can add a flashy intro portion and whatnot later (if someone has the wiki skills to do so...please feel free Tongue)

See what y'all think Smile

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 07-27-2013

Great job, teardrop!  Smile

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Twinflame - 07-27-2013

I went ahead and added Clan Desfosse to the list. It also links to Megiddo's wiki, which has very general overview of the life and demise of the Clan, for anybody who would be interested in reading that.

Thanks for getting that about, Tear.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Garaf - 07-29-2013

When we were initially figuring out Garaf we didn't even have half the official lore we do now (which is saying a lot) so Garaf's background is pretty slim on details by necessity. He just shows up as a kid at Randirim Temple and grows up with the Nerians (a Wildwood family) and we've never really gone into where he was before then or what he might've been up to that lead him to Randirim Temple. Someday we might, but so far it's been pretty convenient to leave it be. When they were little, Crawa would make fun of him for being a "Duskie" and when Duran (another Wildwood) showed up he was very dismissive of Garaf but other than that he hasn't seen much in the way of discrimination. But then I don't usually write out much about his daily interactions with every random NPC he runs into. I've just assumed that he's not entirely welcomed everywhere and he probably doesn't expect to be. Garaf's the sort that he'd probably just roll his eyes or shrug and not really care if someone calls him names.

Just to expand a little more on some of the other points made previously in this thread: There are definitely Duskwights in Gridania (at least as of the 2.0 Beta, I don't remember 1.0 well enough to say either way) but they're usually the nameless "filler" sort that you see bumming around. The most memorable of which is a downtrodden Duskwight getting chewed out by three Wildwoods in front of the Lancer's guild.

From this I would conclude that Duskwights can, and occasionally do, reside in the cities and in the camps (I think there's another one out at Bentbranch) but they probably have to deal with a fair bit of discrimination in order to do so. There's probably a decent chance that these "urban" Duskwights are not representative of the subrace as a whole.

Someone also mentioned the subterrarian city in the South Shroud (dead south of the Druthers) that's currently being investigated by two Duskwight scholars. If memory serves, the ruins are called Gelmorra and this used to be where everyone (purportedly Duskwight and Wildwood) lived before Gridania was founded. Everyone used to live in Gelmorra, then 500 years ago they made a pact with the elementals and that allowed them to move out from underground and found Gridania. One of the scholars mentions that he's studying the ruins in the hope that it might become a new home for the Duskwight people, thinking that with one place to call their own they might stop being seen as vagrants.

This seems difficult to reconcile with the lore behind the split between the Wildwood and the Duskwights. The lore says that the Duskwights went underground, not that the Wildwoods came to the surface and seems to imply that the Wildwoods more closely resemble the "proto-Elezen". On top of that, I have a hard time picturing a race dividing along such disparate paths within 500 years. It seems like they would need much, much longer to develop into separate subspecies with distinct cultures. I would conclude then that Gamorra wasn't a Duskwight/Elezen city so much as just a city with a diverse population and probably did not play much into relations between the two. It's definitely something that could use further clarification from SE, but I don't know if we can count on that. Everything I saw on Gamorra came out of conversations with NPCs.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Myavar - 07-31-2013

I finally got to the final page of this thread! Woo! Bouncy

Despite spending the last few weeks brainstorming my character I have to admit I'd never given any thought to her clan.

Her family name is Hla'Rahel (La-Rah~el.... Ima end up having to make an audio recording I think, lol!), but I never pictured her parents as anything besides loving people. I still haven't decided on the how/why her parents came to Gridania. I've been toying with her father being a business man/tradesman and coming to the city in order to make a better life for his wife. Obviously moving to the city isn't a common desire for DW, so he might've been lucky in finding a woman who would love him and move to the city with him. I unno quite yet.

So far I'd had it in my head that she lived in Old Gridania with her family (I'll be changing it to whatever the housing area is called), but for the entirety of her life she's only known prejudice from her Wildwood cousins. From the Hyur and Miqo'te it wouldn't have been as severe, just basic amounts of distrust or odd looks. The Wildwood, being that they seems to hold disdain for any race besides their own, it would be the more severe treatment. Verbal abuse, bullying as a child, perhaps "young punks" throwing things at her.

This might sound a little silly for a DW, but I wanted to have my character grow out of being a naive little girl who loves everyone/thing into a woman who pursues her gifts in the healing arts and treats strangers with respectful civility. As a Conjurer/WHM she'll be very business-like when she's doing her job, and wont tolerate any tomfoolery.

She's a healer, and it would be against her personality/job to a large degree if she wasn't balanced in her treatment of others. I might even have her cruise somewhere in the middle personality wise to put emphasis on the "balance of nature" that I encountered during the CNJ quests.

Clanwise... I have zero idea tbh Undecided. I might just be lazy and see what other clans are settled in the Twelveswood. Maybe one of you fiiiiine clan creators wouldn't mind Myavar's parents being from yours (or maybe two different ones). Like, alienated for their more "modern" views of the WW and other races.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Teardrop - 07-31-2013

Well, I'm certainly glad to see another Duskwight make their way into this thread Big Grin! Its been a lot of fun discussing all the various aspects of what it means to us to be a Duskwight, and the contribution we've had is just amazing...I think only the Miqo'te threads might get more posts and views (and well, they do outnumber us like 10 to 1 though Laugh ).

It looks like you are nurturing the seed of what your Clan may become already...you probably just need to roll it around a bit longer. You know, the bullet points under the Clan Listing really aren't all that in-depth...kind of jump-off points that you can flesh out at a later point. And certainly, many players aren't even going to bother with it, so really, its just an exercise for the individual if they want, to help further explore their own character.

Sure looks like you'll have good reason to bump into Eva at some point, though Smile

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 07-31-2013

(07-31-2013, 04:18 PM)Myavar Wrote: This might sound a little silly for a DW, but I wanted to have my character grow out of being a naive little girl who loves everyone/thing into a woman who pursues her gifts in the healing arts and treats strangers with respectful civility. As a Conjurer/WHM she'll be very business-like when she's doing her job, and wont tolerate any tomfoolery.

She's a healer, and it would be against her personality/job to a large degree if she wasn't balanced in her treatment of others. I might even have her cruise somewhere in the middle personality wise to put emphasis on the "balance of nature" that I encountered during the CNJ quests.
I don't think this sounds silly at all, as it's more or less the same thing as I've been doing with Eva - who generally likes and respects anyone until she's given some sort of reason not to - naive as it may be sometimes.

I'll also confess as a healer that I don't do much with regards to the CNJ quests, being probably a bit more like that impetuous youth from the cutscenes that doesn't want to learn the elemental aspects of it or doesn't feel that she needs to.  That could present some interesting angles.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with going against the grain with regard to a well-intentioned duskwight living in Gridania.  It makes sense that some duskwight would live there and have to learn ways to adapt to survive living with the Wildwood and I'll be glad not to be alone in that too.  ^_^  Eva has also spent a lot of her teenage years being teased and ridiculed so there is that too.  It didn't help that she was also overweight throughout most of those years, so there was certainly no lack of ammo for the more racially-traditional Wildwoods who wanted to be particularly mean.

But I'm happy there's at least another duskwight Gridanian resident, and perhaps someone else that donates some time as a healer at Stillglade Fane~!!

I'll probably end up spending loads of time in Gridania and the Fane. I love that city so much, ICly and OOCly it's just an awesome place to me.

Over time I'll probably ease Myavar into the "Adventurer" role, something like a combat healer. It depends on what friends she makes and if circumstances line up to give her a reason to leave Gridania.

As soon as I can, though, I plan on buying a quaint little house and setting it up as a type of clinic RP location. Say there isn't anyone at the Fane, or people want to RP that sort of thing in a less crowded area, then they can seek out "That Duskwight lady" who lives down on Malboro Lane.

More than likely people who come to her at her home will find fresh warm tea, a comfortable place to sit, and a nice clean environment to be treated for whatever ails them. Thumbsup

(Of course if you've got a broken bone she'll unceremoniously snap it back into place after distracting you with a cup of tea. Don't expect to be handed a fine expensive tea-cup)

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 07-31-2013

I am starting to wonder if you are a long lost twin... Angel

*prods unceremoniously at her own battered tin teacups*

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Yssen - 07-31-2013

(07-29-2013, 04:39 PM)Garaf Wrote: This seems difficult to reconcile with the lore behind the split between the Wildwood and the Duskwights.  The lore says that the Duskwights went underground, not that the Wildwoods came to the surface and seems to imply that the Wildwoods more closely resemble the "proto-Elezen".  On top of that, I have a hard time picturing a race dividing along such disparate paths within 500 years.  It seems like they would need much, much longer to develop into separate subspecies with distinct cultures.  I would conclude then that Gamorra wasn't a Duskwight/Elezen city so much as just a city with a diverse population and probably did not play much into relations between the two.  It's definitely something that could use further clarification from SE, but I don't know if we can count on that.  Everything I saw on Gamorra came out of conversations with NPCs.
I think the answer here lies in something different. I think the two tribes grew apart simply because they lived in very different environments, but still held on to a similar culture. The "split," in terms of why the two tribes have animosity for one another, is stated to have something to do with the founding of Gridanian (and to a seemingly lesser extent, Ishgard) by the Wildwoods. We know that the founders of Gridania made a pact with the Elementals in the Black Shroud in order to secure the city-state. This deal (or the events surrounding it) are probably what lead to Gelmorra being fully abandoned. The animosity between the two tribes being caused by disagreement over this pact with the Elementals. Wildwoods went for it, Duskwights refused. Duskwights got kicked out and retreated further into seclusion.

Gelmorra very well could have been one of the first elezen settlements when they came down from the north. This would explain why there are both above ground and below ground Gelmorran ruins. Long and short, my theory is that there was not a large amount of animosity between the two tribes when they gravitated to different living environments. The animosity came later, probably over what the Duskwights call the "loss of their homeland."

(07-31-2013, 05:27 PM)Eva Wrote: I am starting to wonder if you are a long lost twin... Angel
Kindred spirits! Sisters of the heart! Plus with how close DW tend to be we'd probably end up feeling like family to each other despite not being direct relatives. If we ever meet, anyways, though from the looks of it we should definitely plan on it!

I've also given my clan a bit of thought, and I think the Hla'Rahel name will be the start of a new clan, instead of worrying too much about what clan(s) her parents are from. That bit can always be worked out later if the opportunity presents itself.

For now I think I'll be content with a little 3 person clan =3

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - LeCard - 07-31-2013

I have been thinking about my characters parents and their back story (actually did a big update for Rogier's wiki on that topic recently), and I have detrmined that i will be creating a clan for his father to have come from, but for his mother I kind of want her to come from an already establish black shroud clan. Though I am not sure what clan she will be in yet, suppose that info will remain a ??? for now. If anyone has an idea for me for a clan that she could have been from please give me a shout.

Also I will be posting his father's clan on the wiki with more details when I finish working it out.