Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character skills & hobbies - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character skills & hobbies (/showthread.php?tid=3219)

Pages: 1 2

Character skills & hobbies - lady2beetle - 08-02-2013

I was looking for ideas for what my characters might do when they aren't out saving the world and I came across this. I've just been clicking the random button to see what I get. I think gardening might be a fun one to add to a hardened hero, don't you think?

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Felix Sideris - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 09:44 AM)lady2beetle Wrote: I was looking for ideas for what my characters might do when they aren't out saving the world and I came across this. I've just been clicking the random button to see what I get. I think gardening might be a fun one to add to a hardened hero, don't you think?
I like this when it comes to adding quirks/oddities/habits/hobbies. Take a look, it might help further or give ideas for more!

And yes, maybe gardening is a way to relax them or maybe he finds it soothing. Who knows! Even those battle hardened warriors need something to loosen them up.

http://rpg.ashami.com/

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Martiallais - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 10:10 AM)Tarath Wrote: I like this when it comes to adding quirks/oddities/habits/hobbies. Take a look, it might help further or give ideas for more!

And yes, maybe gardening is a way to relax them or maybe he finds it soothing. Who knows! Even those battle hardened warriors need something to loosen them up.

+1 for this, a personal favorite that I use with nearly all of my serious characters.

(08-02-2013, 10:21 AM)Zarek Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 10:10 AM)Tarath Wrote: I like this when it comes to adding quirks/oddities/habits/hobbies. Take a look, it might help further or give ideas for more!

+1 for this, a personal favorite that I use with nearly all of my serious characters.
It's one of the best RPG profile/character creation sites/guides I've come across thus-far. Thumbsup

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Dogberry - 08-02-2013

Dogberry always kind of struck me as a surfer. I kind of wonder if there's Surfing in Eorzea. Of course, whenever there's a beach, there's no surf, so maybe not?

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Magellan - 08-02-2013

My warrior-esque Elezen kept getting told by friends to lighten up and take up some hobbies. Sooo.... she took to carving up fruit with her daggers into different shapes. She particularly like to make little fruit chocobos xD

(08-02-2013, 10:58 AM)Magellan Wrote: My warrior-esque Elezen kept getting told by friends to lighten up and take up some hobbies. Sooo.... she took to carving up fruit with her daggers into different shapes. She particularly like to make little fruit chocobos xD
XD Wow that is awesome. Chocobo

RE: Character skills & hobbies - cranlet - 08-02-2013

Fun way to round out a character! Thanks for the links. :>

(08-02-2013, 11:02 AM)Melle Wrote: Fun way to round out a character! Thanks for the links. :>
Sure thing Melle! Hope it helped. Smile

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Lren - 08-02-2013

Lren originally took up Weaving to help steady his hands. It turned into something he now does to help fix his Gi's and makes some different blanket designs xD

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Eva - 08-02-2013

Stuff like this is a lot of fun! It's kind of late in the game for me to suddenly be concocting new talents, but I'll certainly be keeping this handy for future characters if I suddenly develop a desire to make an alt or such~

I also usually like to throw something a little uncharacteristic into my characters and then find a way to turn around and have it make sense. For instance, Eva is generally pretty stoic and disciplined, however her former boss at the book shop was something of a prestidigitator and taught her a number of little parlor tricks, so Eva has a somewhat uncharacteristic skill with sleight-of-hand, often pulling gil from childrens' ears and having items appear in her hands as if from thin air.

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Valtiere - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 10:58 AM)Magellan Wrote: My warrior-esque Elezen kept getting told by friends to lighten up and take up some hobbies. Sooo.... she took to carving up fruit with her daggers into different shapes. She particularly like to make little fruit chocobos xD

I love this. Big Grin

My Miqo'te likes to make and decorate small wooden toys and things. Nothing big, but just little things like model animals, puzzles, wagons and the like.

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Myxie Tryxle - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 09:44 AM)lady2beetle Wrote: I was looking for ideas for what my characters might do when they aren't out saving the world and I came across this. I've just been clicking the random button to see what I get. I think gardening might be a fun one to add to a hardened hero, don't you think?

Not sure if you ever played FFXI, but gardening was a mini-game in that, the first MMO of the series. You could plant stuff, tend to it, and depending on which seed you used, how you tended it, and even the weather or moon phases, it could bloom into all sorts of different products after 24 hours (cooking ingredients, shards/crystals, etc.).

So yeah, gardening is a fine idea.

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Gospel Gestalt - 08-02-2013

Gospel has always been a gifted doll and clock maker since as long as he can remember. His manor and libraries staff is almost completely ran by mammets. It's something he takes a ton of pride in. As an off-shoot of his hobby though, he always had a knack for making toys like stuffed animals and other little things.

In ARR I kind of wanted to express his toy making hobby a bit by making some of the minions IC. I'm still not fully sure how he'd put it to use, but I always felt that it could open up some interesting and heartfelt RP. Blush

RE: Character skills & hobbies - Dubs - 08-04-2013

I'm leaning toward the Chocobo chocobo raising and racing route appealing to B'jaern's empathy with wildlife and taxonomy. That's why I'm hoping there's going to be some kind of breeding type option. Also having an obsession with everything moogle doesn't hurt to round up some comical quirks. Even if he's caught in that stereotypical romance novel embrace (que music) and leaning in, if there is any mention of moogle lore or new behavior it's complete roadrunner dust trail animation.