Hydaelyn Role-Players
can you help me - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: can you help me (/showthread.php?tid=3234)

Pages: 1 2

can you help me - Kellen whitewolf - 08-02-2013

ok im trying to come up a backgound  for my charcter and i was thinking on saying hes halfblooded like my father was a knight of ul dah and my mom was a mage from the drake tribe could ido that what do you guys think

RE: can you help me - Ashren Dotharl - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 08:40 PM)[email protected] Wrote: ok im trying to come up a backgound  for my charcter and i was thinking on saying hes halfblooded like my father was a knight of ul dah and my mom was a mage from the drake tribe could ido that what do you guys think
Could you be more specific? Knight isn't really a race, and I don't think there are any knights in Ul'dah unless you count the Sultanate.

RE: can you help me - Kellen whitewolf - 08-02-2013

say my father was a hyur and my mother was miqo te  could i do that sorry im still learning the lore

Well it's never been done in canon so there's no comparison to work with, it's not clear whether the races can interbreed to be honest. In most fantasy settings it's possible, but genetically speaking that's not really possible, it would be like trying to breed a monkey with a parrot.

ok thank you i was just thinking up some ideas i mean miqo te look like hyru except for the ears an tail so i just wondered

Well genetically speaking unless every race in Eorzea came from a single ancestor and still had very similar genetic makeup with only slight variations, for example Elezen were really just Hyur that were taller and had pointer ears, or Miqo'te were just small Roegadyn with feline features, then every race in Eorzea has about as much in common as we do with dogs. Races being sentient does not mean that they have any genetic similarities, and without those it would be impossible for their to be cross species interbreeding.

This of course is a very scientific way of thinking, in most fantasy games evolution and genetics are pretty much non-existent so hybrids could be completely possible.

RE: can you help me - Caysen - 08-02-2013

FFXIV's lore team has stated that mixed races are completely possible.

RE: can you help me - FreelanceWizard - 08-02-2013

Hybrids are totally possible, so say the devs. (There's a Fernehalwes dev post reference for this running around somewhere on these forums.) They're just quite uncommon. Personally, I would recommend avoiding that unless you have a really good narrative reason for it; "half-breeds" are a common cliché, and being something rare is a Thing about your character. You don't want to have too many Things, lest you fall into "special snowflake" territory.

ok thanks you guys its not a problem i just wonder what everyones thoughts on it i dont want my charcter to sound stupid so thats why i asked

(08-02-2013, 09:15 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Hybrids are totally possible, so say the devs. (There's a Fernehalwes dev post reference for this running around somewhere on these forums.) They're just quite uncommon. Personally, I would recommend avoiding that unless you have a really good narrative reason for it; "half-breeds" are a common cliché, and being something rare is a Thing about your character. You don't want to have too many Things, lest you fall into "special snowflake" territory.
I wanna add to this by also pointing out that it's some what implied too that there is a certain level of stigma in Miqo'te society for interbreeding among clans, I can only imagine this stigma is even worse when concerning mating with a non-Miqo'te.

see the idea i had was  was my mom fell love with a hyru and was kicked from here clan and halfbreeds are always shund as far as i know  so i figured it might make good role play like an outcast

RE: can you help me - Averis - 08-02-2013

Besides the fact that it's either not known to exist in the lore or genetically possible (in reality), I think it's important to ask a couple questions about this kind of idea.

Mainly, is this something that really helps the character or is it something that just sounds cool? How will this play out in actual role-play? I doubt many people would go around saying, "Hello, I'm John. By the way, did you know I was a half-breed? I know, pretty cool, right?" Well, maybe John would if he though it would help him pick up women... but anyway.

Since you can't actually make a character that looks half and half, people will assume you are X race most of the time. Which means, if this is something that is important to the character, you'll have to explain it, which, to me, if you have to explain a physical feature as a defining aspect of the character, then it's going to cause some awkward moments in role-play.

My point is, unless there is a personality reason for it, ideas like this can be awkward in actual role-play if it's the cornerstone of your whole character concept. IE, don't let this kind of concept replace your development of their personality. Leaning on a concept like this can make a character seem very one-dimensional.

Also, if you think about it from a purely genetic stand point a half-breed would be really gross looking. You'd be a human with hairy ears and a vestigial tail, maybe slitted pupils or fangs.

oh ok i see your point on that well these are just ideas  i had i got so many floating in my head i wanted to get your guys opion this helps thanks

lol coughting up fur balls lol

RE: can you help me - Asyria - 08-03-2013

I think half-breeds being seen as a Thing has been around since the very first Dragonlance novels... 

"Hi, I'm Tanis Half-Elven, and I hide my elf ears under my hair and grow a beard because elves and humans don't like each other and both shun me and I would actually be a cool main character if I was just human but that aspect of me that somehow always get mentioned even though I'm supposed to be hiding it puts me right into the Gary Stu department."

So, blame Tanis! Tongue

Another problem is it's hard to make it show. I guess one could use a Highlander to be a Midlander/Roe crossbreed but other than that, I have no idea... and another thing people frown upon is when someone plays a race that isn't in the options.
Sure, the options are limited, but RPing within the limits of the game and being special through RP is great fun!