Hydaelyn Role-Players
Blue Mages? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Blue Mages? (/showthread.php?tid=3265)

Pages: 1 2

Blue Mages? - Selsix - 08-04-2013

Okay just a quick link and a synopsis for those whom don't know what a Blue Mage is:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mage

Blue Mages, as their name implies, focus on Blue Magic, a special subset of Magic that allows them to use attacks otherwise exclusive to enemies. While an odd choice, Blue Mages often have a wide range of usefulness due to the varied spells they gain. Blue Mages usually learn Blue Magic by having enemies (or occasionally, another Blue Mage ally) use it on them, but some games have other methods to learn their magic.

For those of you whom did not play Final Fantasy XI, Blue Mages were a hybrid Melee/Caster DPS class. Something FFXIV doesn't have yet.

Know what else Blue Mages have been called? Gun Mages. In certain games (Final Fantasy X-2 comes to mind), Blue Mages were incarnated as "Gun Mages", simply a ranged DPS variant of what is usually physical.

What else does Final Fantasy XIV not have? (And just hear me out here...) Gunblades. You know, those things the Garlean Empire is consistently pointing at us? That big thing that that one dude used in that other Final Fantasy game? I think his name was Scarface? (...Poor joke taste maybe? C'mon people gimmie a pity laugh or something here.)

Now what about this, what about a Blue Mage variant class whom uses Gunblades? Think about it, you are using the enemy's weapon, and learning other enemy's skills to use with it. It could be explained as some sort of machina/magitek based class (rather the gun learns the skill instead of you), etc... But the idea being the same, a hybrid melee/caster class whom uses gunblades that cast enemy abilities.

Just an idea I'm musing, I loved my old BLU back in XI and would love to see them in some form in XIV. Given the fact that they typically use one-handed sword however, the odds of a traditional implementation of them is a tad awkward considering using a one-handed sword is more of a GLD/PLD deal. (They'd have to tweak the armory system to make it work really. Unless it was another advanced job for GLD, which makes little sense.)

Thoughts?

RE: Blue Mages? - Sounsyy - 08-04-2013

Eh, while I would love to play with a gunblade, I don't think it's for Blue Mage. That would technically make Gaius van Baelsar a Blue Mage. And all of the Garlean Main Characters get a gun hybrid weapon. Gunhammer, Gunshield, Gunclaws, Gunlance, etc. So those seem to be taken.

If Blue Mage ever got implemented, I would see them using a Whip like Quistis from FFVIII. It's a unique weapon that is not even remotely close to being in the game. You start fuzzing lines when you implement weapons that look just like other weapons already in the game.

RE: Blue Mages? - Selsix - 08-04-2013

(08-04-2013, 02:24 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: If Blue Mage ever got implemented, I would see them using a Whip like Quistis from FFVIII. It's a unique weapon that is not even remotely close to being in the game. You start fuzzing lines when you implement weapons that look just like other weapons already in the game.

Interesting... I never thought to make them perform like Quistis, that would most definitely work too. You sir have given me additional hope that my favorite class will be implemented. I have zero issues using a whip, especially if it's a bladed one.

(08-04-2013, 02:24 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Eh, while I would love to play with a gunblade, I don't think it's for Blue Mage. That would technically make Gaius van Baelsar a Blue Mage. And all of the Garlean Main Characters get a gun hybrid weapon. Gunhammer, Gunshield, Gunclaws, Gunlance, etc. So those seem to be taken.

Well, I didn't mean that it was a practice employed by the garleans. Or even that we'd use their model of gunblades. Outside sources, same weaponry. But I do see your point, it could complicate things.

RE: Blue Mages? - Kyren - 08-04-2013

I REALLY wanted to make my character a blue mage right out the gate, but I've held off for the singular reason that when the class was introduced into FFXI, there was very specific lore surrounding the whole class. So I'm kind of sitting on my hands waiting to see how exactly they're going to introduce the class first.

RE: Blue Mages? - LeCard - 08-04-2013

(08-04-2013, 02:28 AM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-04-2013, 02:24 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: If Blue Mage ever got implemented, I would see them using a Whip like Quistis from FFVIII. It's a unique weapon that is not even remotely close to being in the game. You start fuzzing lines when you implement weapons that look just like other weapons already in the game.

Interesting... I never thought to make them perform like Quistis, that would most definitely work too. You sir have given me additional hope that my favorite class will be implemented. I have zero issues using a whip, especially if it's a bladed one.

(08-04-2013, 02:24 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Eh, while I would love to play with a gunblade, I don't think it's for Blue Mage. That would technically make Gaius van Baelsar a Blue Mage. And all of the Garlean Main Characters get a gun hybrid weapon. Gunhammer, Gunshield, Gunclaws, Gunlance, etc. So those seem to be taken.

Well, I didn't mean that it was a practice employed by the garleans. Or even that we'd use their model of gunblades. Outside sources, same weaponry. But I do see your point, it could complicate things.
Just me musing on the existence of a gunblade wielding class for player, not necessarily a blue mage. Perhaps, when they implent it, have the gunblade class come from a mixed class of the GLD and what ever class (likely musketeer) has guns. it would be a great blend of the two classes and if they used the GLD architecture it could simply be a set of swords only useable by that job, and the gun aspect would allow for use of the musketeers ranged shot skills.

(just the musing of a mad scientist who had an interesting idea tossed before him, at least partially anyway)

RE: Blue Mages? - synaesthetic - 08-04-2013

I'm hoping for XI-style blue mage class with lots and lots of Ul'dah flavor. Make them a DoM class, wearing light cloth armor and their weapon should be the scimitar, with dual wielding as a passive trait picked up somewhere in the 20s. 

Nomad > Blue Mage

Nomad being pretty much physical DPS with skills learned from monsters, though I'd handle this through quests rather than grinding. BLU as the job adds on some iconic and well-known blue magic spells.

Of course, we should get red mage, too... I'd like to see RDM done in ARR as a magic/enhancement tank, with fencer as its base DoW class. The weapon? Rapier, of course.

Fencer > Red Mage

(08-04-2013, 02:36 AM)synaesthetic Wrote: I'm hoping for XI-style blue mage class with lots and lots of Ul'dah flavor. 
Make them a DoM class, wearing light cloth armor and their weapon should be the scimitar, with dual wielding as a passive trait picked up somewhere in the 20s. 

Nomad > Blue Mage

Nomad being pretty much physical DPS with skills learned from monsters, though I'd handle this through quests rather than grinding. BLU as the job adds on some iconic and well-known blue magic spells.

GOD yes. But wouldn't they then have to make Scimitars a completely separate weapon type? Kinda splitting hairs to make them different from standard one-handed swords... Hm...

RE: Blue Mages? - synaesthetic - 08-04-2013

Not really. If you notice, conjurer and thaumaturge two-handed weapons aren't really different functionally. They just look different visually.

Just make sure that the Nomad's Arm is clearly visually distinct from the Gladiator's Arm, which isn't that hard.

The existence of GLA lore rules out the implementation of any other Sword Classes. If Blue or Red Mage are implemented, they will not be using a one handed sword. I'm actually very glad of this. It forces the battle team and the FF community to really think outside of the box for a change. What fun is it if every class uses the exact same weapons? Or even just similar ones. Especially when Final Fantasy has such a rich history of fantasy weaponry at its disposal. 

Also I know dual wielding is extremely popular from FFXI, but it won't happen in FFXIV because of materia. If you have two equippable weapons that doubles the amount of materia you can stack into one stat. Which would make it incredibly OP. If they implement "dual wielding" for say like THF or NIN, it will be in the same fashion as PGL/MNK has dual wield. A single main hand weapon that places a weapon in each hand on the character.

RE: Blue Mages? - LeCard - 08-04-2013

(08-04-2013, 02:38 AM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-04-2013, 02:36 AM)synaesthetic Wrote: I'm hoping for XI-style blue mage class with lots and lots of Ul'dah flavor. 
Make them a DoM class, wearing light cloth armor and their weapon should be the scimitar, with dual wielding as a passive trait picked up somewhere in the 20s. 

Nomad > Blue Mage

GOD yes. But wouldn't they then have to make Scimitars a completely separate weapon type? Kinda splitting hairs to make them different from standard one-handed swords... Hm...
best bet for weapons for a blue mage would be: Scimitar, Quistis style whip, or Kimiari style lance (other variations of Blue mage seem to wield a staff or something){unless you want to go quinna style and eat the enemy}
Edit: Forgot x-2 gun mage, so guns are also a possibility

RE: Blue Mages? - PenguinatorZ - 08-04-2013

Really looking forward to when (if) this class gets released, did a write up during beta on how it could work. Basically the way I see it is it would be best if they made an entirely new class that could branch into both blue mage and beast master. Reason for combining them being they both utilize enemy abilities one by imitating them the other by controlling them. I'll drop the write up here, its a little on the long side though.

hunter class
Show Content

blue mage
Show Content

beast master
Show Content

As far as the weapon choice it seems like scimitars and other middle eastern swords could be their own class of weapon like they were in tactics advanced and a-2.

(08-04-2013, 02:47 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also I know dual wielding is extremely popular from FFXI, but it won't happen in FFXIV because of materia.

Not necessarily my friend.

An MMO I played a few years back by the name of R.O.S.E. Online had a very simple answer to this very same problem.

They made dual swords a SINGLE item.

Instead of equipping two different swords, you would equip one item that is a PAIR of swords. Thus solving the itemization issue altogether, as well as the armoury confliction problem

(08-04-2013, 02:50 AM)PenguinatorZ Wrote: As far as the weapon choice it seems like scimitars and other middle eastern swords could be their own class of weapon like they were in tactics advanced and a-2.

Again, the problem with this is that GLA already use Scimitars. And it's lore driven. GLA by lore have access to all one-handed blades. 

Another thing I noticed is that you changed weapons when you made jobs. In FFXIV changing from a class to a job does not alter your weapon selection. It is one weapon per class/job combo. Yoshi-P has said this will remain true. 

And if dual wielding is implemented it will be 1 main hand = weapon in both hands just like PGL/MNK fist type weapons. That's the only way dual wielding will work in FFXIV without being extremely overpowered by materia.

(08-04-2013, 02:55 AM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-04-2013, 02:47 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also I know dual wielding is extremely popular from FFXI, but it won't happen in FFXIV because of materia.

Not necessarily my friend.

An MMO I played a few years back by the name of R.O.S.E. Online had a very simple answer to this very same problem.

They made dual swords a SINGLE item.

Instead of equipping two different swords, you would equip one item that is a PAIR of swords. Thus solving the itemization issue altogether, as well as the armoury confliction problem

LOL I literally said that in order for dual wielding to work they would have to do this in the exact same paragraph that you quoted from.

(08-04-2013, 02:47 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also I know dual wielding is extremely popular from FFXI, but it won't happen in FFXIV because of materia. If you have two equippable weapons that doubles the amount of materia you can stack into one stat. Which would make it incredibly OP. If they implement "dual wielding" for say like THF or NIN, it will be in the same fashion as PGL/MNK has dual wield. A single main hand weapon that places a weapon in each hand on the character.

RE: Blue Mages? - Azthran - 08-04-2013

I think BLU could still use 1 handed swords kind of like how both Conj and Thaum can both use 2 handed staffs. If I'm not mistaken the relic weapons for both WHM and BLM are staffs so I don't see why they couldn't add another set of swords with the BLU tag on it.

Also I haven't played GLA in the beta so I don't know much of the lore given by the guild story BUT the class description says that they specialize in one handed blades including daggers. If a thief class was added we can assume they will use daggers so my question is what exactly makes the sword exclusive to GLA and PLD?

(08-04-2013, 03:08 AM)Azthran Wrote: I think BLU could still use 1 handed swords kind of like how both Conj and Thaum can both use 2 handed staffs. If I'm not mistaken the relic weapons for both WHM and BLM are staffs so I don't see why they couldn't add another set of swords with the BLU tag on it.

The difference is that Conjurer and Thaumaturge are given specific qualifications and boundaries for the weapons that they use. And Gladiators are not. Gladiators are given a blanket green light on all single handed blades. Unless they change that lore to say something more specific, it will remain true and prevent new classes from using single-handed swords.

-Conjurers must use wands and staves made from unworked wood. 

-Thaumaturges must use scepters and staves made from metals, ores, or bone, and require a gemstone through which to channel their aether.

-"Gladiators specialize in the handling of all manner of one-handed blades, from daggers to longswords, be they single- or double-edge, straight or curved."

Quoted straight from the Main Site Gladiator page. And I think since SE went out of their way to explicitly cover every type of single-handed blade in their GLA description, it's something that they've intended and it's here to stay.

You're basically asking FFXIV to retcon the basic concept of Gladiator just so that Blue Mage can have a scimitar. Why not a whip? It's a much more appropriate weapon, it doesn't currently exist in Eorzea therefor it does not conflict with already existing classes, and it's not confusing. You see a player with a whip and you'll know instantly it's a BLU. Whereas if you see a guy with a curved sword, it might not be as immediately apparent what class he is.