Hydaelyn Role-Players
Official RP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Official RP Server (/showthread.php?tid=3296)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Official RP Server - Nel Celestine - 08-05-2013

Sylas.

Thank you.

RE: Official RP Server - ArmachiA - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:05 PM)Sylas Wrote: There's also a hefty dose of amusement that stems from Amaare trying to lead a community. Yes, some of us remember your actions in GW2 on Tarnished Coast. That's neither here nor there, though.

oh come on, that's very here AND there XD

DO TELL

RE: Official RP Server - Aysun - 08-05-2013

Thank you Sylas. Blush

RE: Official RP Server - Gideon Aryeh - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 07:23 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 06:22 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 06:03 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but Gilgamesh should be aware of the risks with rolling on the same server as 2/3rds of the internet trolls and not handwave it off as "Oh it's just the internet"

I hope people trying to carve out a path are prepared for the worst, even if the worst never happens
Thanks for your concern. Those who are terrified listen to this man he knows what he is talking about. 

Those who aren't see you on Gilgamesh.

I simply won't run or be scared of some jerk behind a screen. Nope won't do it.

See you in game and be sure to check out the beta week and launch week events!

1. I'm female.

2. I'm not afraid. I've ran with this people, I've done what these people do. I know what they are capable of and it's not an issue of being afraid, it's an issue of being constantly interrupted from what you like to do. Hell, come Vampire: The Masquerade I'm rolling with them again, but as I want to roleplay I will not be on the same server as them.. because I know what they do. No one wants their in game character name stolen - but it happened. No one wants their guild name stolen - but it happened. No one wants to have flying penis's interrupt their interview - but it's happened (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedLyae4b2s), no one wants a bunch of trolls to take over their entire game - but it happened (EvE). This is what they DO and it's a very real concern, not one you can hand wave off as fear.

Saying that it's fear waves me off as a concern troll and it's like I'm being talked down to quite frankly ("YOUR Afriad, but WE AIN'T AFRAID, you SCAREDY CAT")

Edit: And, just so we're clear, I'm not someone who has ever said "Just roll on Balmung." I've always been on the side of new people, I've yelled at people who aren't on the side of new people, on here and on the Beta forums. I've tried to explain why people might not be comfortable rolling on Balmung over and over again.
Forgive me I've always thought you were male.

Secondly do you know how many times we are constantly reminded about Reddit and 4chan being there? Constantly! Trust me I hear it all the time. ALL the time. When we voted on the non legacy server I actually voted on Leviathan. Yep sure did and what happenened? Gilgamesh won. So I made a promise to support them because honestly I like the idea of playing with all new people. I met plenty of people who are staying on Gilgamesh during the betas who want to roleplay but don't come to this site. People who are from Reddir who want to try out roleplaying for the first time. That made me happy I want to stay there to build that place now. People will be roleplaying there if we of the rpc were there or not.  So while I am grateful that the rpc has supported the vote that ended up with Gilgamesh being picked I am playing this game to support all roleplayers whether the are from the rpc or not.  Balmung: is good already. I want to help out Gilgamesh BECAUSE it needs the help because of its circumstances and all of us going there are prepared to do what we have to ensure its survival.

So when I read posts like yours for me its equivalent to taking the One Ring to Mount Doom to destroy it and being told I might die.

As if I didn't know that could happen before I left my hobbit hole.....

RE: Official RP Server - Arelian - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:10 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 08:05 PM)Sylas Wrote: There's also a hefty dose of amusement that stems from Amaare trying to lead a community. Yes, some of us remember your actions in GW2 on Tarnished Coast. That's neither here nor there, though.

oh come on, that's very here AND there XD

DO TELL
It ultimately isn't, and I don't care to bring GW2 drama to this game. New start, yo!

Anyway, my biggest frustration is stemming from the fracturing of the roleplay community. We're a small group to begin with. Why make it smaller and harder to find RP that we all enjoy? We're all in this for the same hobby at the end of the day. It's disheartening to hear that things are being split even further between Balmung and Gilgamesh with people going all over.

RE: Official RP Server - Annaveil - 08-05-2013

Everything Sylas said.

+1

I hate seeing the RP community split. Sad

RE: Official RP Server - allgivenover - 08-05-2013

As another new roleplayer who had no presence in 1.0 at all and has been nothing but welcomed by the "old guard" that makes up the legacy community all I have to add is that you hit the nail on the head Sylas.

RE: Official RP Server - ArmachiA - 08-05-2013

It does suck when there is a split, but ultimately people gotta do what they think is best for themselves and if they believe that splitting from Balmung is a way to make them feel happy in a game, then I support them.

I also pray for them and their server choice, however..

RE: Official RP Server - Gideon Aryeh - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:05 PM)Sylas Wrote: I just want to point out the irony of being afraid of negative-cliques and exclusive behavior from the Balmung community when the moderators of this forum and the (more or less) leaders of the Legacy RP community were kind enough to help out people that don't want to play on a Legacy server in some way.

They could have told everyone to bug off and start your own community for a different, non-legacy server, as this site has been about the Balmung/Besaid community since 1.0. Instead? They helped people out by holding voting and putting up a section of the forums for Gilgamesh to chat and hang out. 

This is totally cliqueish and exclusive behavior. Totally.

Let's not ignore the fact that any real benefits from Legacy will be null and void within 3-4 weeks anyway, on average.

Sorry if I seem a little irritated about this. It's just incredibly rude, to me, to see people accuse (and yes, simply stating your fears is akin to accusing) this community of being full of cliques and hard to break into when the people on this site have been nothing but welcoming and helpful. They worked hard to create a great community throughout 1.0 and to see people so flippantly disregard that, while also using that community's website, is insulting. They deserve your thanks, not your arguments about not wanting to be a part of this community.

There's also a hefty dose of amusement that stems from Amaare trying to lead a community. Yes, some of us remember your actions in GW2 on Tarnished Coast. That's neither here nor there, though.
Sorry but The only thing I lead there was my own guild and at one time being one of the leaders of the tavern guild I lead.

I've also stated that I'm not the leader of anything many times. So please do tell.

RE: Official RP Server - Arelian - 08-05-2013

Again, it's neither here nor there. I have no wish to bring up any drama in public, as I do my best to avoid such a thing. The original little bit was a slightly immature slip up, but I do stand by it.

If you'd like to discuss it, PMs are an option! No need to derail the thread. Big Grin

Edit: To help keep things on track...
(08-05-2013, 08:22 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: It does suck when there is a split, but ultimately people gotta do what they think is best for themselves and if they believe that splitting from Balmung is a way to make them feel happy in a game, then I support them.

I also pray for them and their server choice, however..
I agree wholeheartedly. It's just frustrating in it's own little nagging way. Ultimately it's a video game, and people should do what they've gotta do to be happy! I'm thrilled to call Balmung my home for FFXIV and I'm thoroughly looking forward to hanging out with people in game. 22 more days. Ugh.

RE: Official RP Server - Edda - 08-05-2013

While it's not super relevant to this thread, and I posted it in that other server discussion thread as well... the 4chan community is not going to Gilgamesh. There will be people on Gilgamesh that happen to go on 4chan as individuals, but there is no organized movement on 4chan to play as a group on Gilgamesh. Reddit is going to Gilgamesh though (which is probably WHY 4chan isn't going there), and since I find them far less tolerable than 4chan, that ended up being my deal breaker.

As for being on topic - I'm new to FFXIV and decided to roll on Balmung, despite my initial aversion to Legacy servers. And as someone who is new to RP, I don't understand the mentality of breaking up what is already a small community, not to mention a community that is usually targeted by griefers. Strength in numbers, right? These are just my uneducated opinions though...  Blush

RE: Official RP Server - Spiritual Machine - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:24 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 08:05 PM)Sylas Wrote: I just want to point out the irony of being afraid of negative-cliques and exclusive behavior from the Balmung community when the moderators of this forum and the (more or less) leaders of the Legacy RP community were kind enough to help out people that don't want to play on a Legacy server in some way.

They could have told everyone to bug off and start your own community for a different, non-legacy server, as this site has been about the Balmung/Besaid community since 1.0. Instead? They helped people out by holding voting and putting up a section of the forums for Gilgamesh to chat and hang out. 

This is totally cliqueish and exclusive behavior. Totally.

Let's not ignore the fact that any real benefits from Legacy will be null and void within 3-4 weeks anyway, on average.

Sorry if I seem a little irritated about this. It's just incredibly rude, to me, to see people accuse (and yes, simply stating your fears is akin to accusing) this community of being full of cliques and hard to break into when the people on this site have been nothing but welcoming and helpful. They worked hard to create a great community throughout 1.0 and to see people so flippantly disregard that, while also using that community's website, is insulting. They deserve your thanks, not your arguments about not wanting to be a part of this community.

There's also a hefty dose of amusement that stems from Amaare trying to lead a community. Yes, some of us remember your actions in GW2 on Tarnished Coast. That's neither here nor there, though.
Sorry but The only thing I lead there was my own guild and at one time being one of the leaders of the tavern guild I lead.

I've also stated that I'm not the leader of anything many times. So please do tell.
Ah, I remember you now, and the infamous Golden Sun. Man, that takes me back.

On topic though, I knew I wasn't the only one who's been nothing but impressed by this community's vets. Heck, I thought some of my topics would be provocative to them, because I challenged the roleplay of many when I first got involved here.

Did the vets rage? No, they had a civil discussion with me and laid out the lore. I left the discussion knowing more about the game than when I came into it.

It's been a while since I've been able to enjoy that level of maturity on an RP forum in a thread where people were disagreeing. I've been in communities that were helpful and friendly and mature--GW2's community is still that way. But it's forum is a mess when differing perspectives start to clash.

But very few of you are out there looking for a fight. I can respect that.

Now, I can believe the folks who say that they had problems with "Legacy players" in-game in the past. But the past is past. Are those divisive people still around? Have they turned over a new leaf?

Are grudges necessary?

I'm afraid that I've not had the opportunity to see the splitting of the RP community as anything but that--a grudge war. I've seen people flat out refuse to set up shop on Balmung because of nebulous negative past experiences. I've seen people discourage others from going to Balmung because of "blacklists" and "pecking orders".

All of that negativity, all of that anger, and the condition of Gilgamesh's population, have convinced me to stick with the larger community.

This isn't a slam against Gilgamesh--there are many people promoting many different "unofficial non-Legacy RP servers," and I don't know all or any of those people. I don't know many who are going to Gilgamesh and I cannot predict its future.

But regardless of server affiliations, I've seen people rally and roil against Balmung and the folks who are sticking with it.

And I cannot for the life of me understand why.

RE: Official RP Server - Ashren Dotharl - 08-05-2013

The thing that both bugs and disappoints me about the split is that new players come here and see this divide and it gives the impression to some that they'll somehow be excluded if they join Balmung, or I've even seen where some people were under the impression they couldn't even join Balmung unless they were legacy.

While I think it's noble that the people who run RPC wanted to make the Gilgamesh community feel at home here, I personally feel more steps should have been taken to squash the schism towards Balmung than to advocate a second server. As far as I've seen RPC has always welcomed people to join who played outside of Balmung, but it was always the home of the Balmung community. I think in order to keep the community as tight and unified as it was, they should have stuck to their guns and told people who wanted to play on a non-legacy server they were more than welcome to but RPC will always be about Balmung.

Maybe things will die down once the game goes live, but right now it feels like having two servers is becoming slightly detrimental.

RE: Official RP Server - Annaveil - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:49 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: The thing that both bugs and disappoints me about the split is that new players come here and see this divide and it gives the impression to some that they'll somehow be excluded if they join Balmung, or I've even seen where some people were under the impression they couldn't even join Balmung unless they were legacy.

While I think it's noble that the people who run RPC wanted to make the Gilgamesh community feel at home here, I personally feel more steps should have been taken to squash the schism towards Balmung than to advocate a second server. As far as I've seen RPC has always welcomed people to join who played outside of Balmung, but it was always the home of the Balmung community. I think in order to keep the community as tight and unified as it was, they should have stuck to their guns and told people who wanted to play on a non-legacy server they were more than welcome to but RPC will always be about Balmung.

Maybe things will die down once the game goes live, but right now it feels like having two servers is becoming slightly detrimental.

I think that's the problem. I'm a new player and I'm going to Balmung to be with friends, but if I had come into the RPC without any idea as to where I would end up...I'd be a little hesitant.

To me (someone coming in with zero experience in either server), it seems more like a competition between servers to win people over than anything else. Which is what I meant when I said I didn't like to see the community splitting. :/

RE: Official RP Server - Ashren Dotharl - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 09:01 PM)Annaveil Wrote: it seems more like a competition between servers to win people over than anything else.
I hate to say it, but that is exactly what it is. Instead we should have put our efforts into forming a strong community on a single server where we could all play together. By creating a split between servers we perpetrate the stigma against legacy players and their servers. :/