Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial Names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Racial Names (/showthread.php?tid=359)

Racial Names - Magnus - 08-07-2010

I know it's a large request, but I search and couldn't find anything. Would it be possible for those in beta to compile a short list of sample racial names in game.

Just a short list of five or so of each race to see what the names are like in-game.
There are a few samples in the "[City-States] Shops of Limsa Lominsa" thread. I've noticed that most of the Lalafell have names starting with double syllables like Zuzudesu..... ( I loved that one Desu.) And that the Miqo'te have apostrophed names.

This might go well in the library forum for those still fleshing out characters and have not landed on a name yet.

Re: Racial Names - Eltharian - 08-07-2010

Although I am not in the Beta, from what npc names I have seen from pictures and videos it seems to me that it is similar to the style of FFXI, at least for Lalafell, Miqo'te, and Elezen. That is just my assumption though, I could be wrong. Huh

Re: Racial Names - Aveline - 08-07-2010

OK this feels like an advertisement so I apologize in advance for that, but I made a character generator with names based entirely off of the naming conventions I've seen so far in the beta. Some names are actual names taken from minor NPCs (no major characters), but most are just following the naming styles. http://www.adventureleague.net/ffxiv-name-generator

The Lalafell females don't have last names because I haven't seen any in game with a last name. However, someone on the ZAM forums was discussing this and they have a theory that female names would rhyme like: Zuzudesu Susudesu. So it would be a-a-b c-c-b in structure. Once classes are done and Beta3 starts up I plan on re-analyzing the names lists for all races and adding the theoretical naming structure for Lalafell female last names until we see evidence of something else in the game.

Basically the names break down like this:

Hyur:
Incredibly varied. I've seen English, Germanic, and Japanese sounding names on Hyur.
Example names: Kora, Mardian

Elezen:
Similar to Elvaan names from FFXI. Elezen names sound somewhat French and unpronounceable.
Example names: Amoura, Virgaud

Roegadyn:
Definitely very old Germanic sounding. Example names: Ruthyhk, Deigensmyd

Miqo'te:
There are two distinct naming styles for Miqo'te NPCs: some have an apostrophe in their names along with 2 consecutive consonants, such as: O'takka. Others have a short first name followed by a longish last name, similar to FFXI, such as: Bhyi Vomdezeloh. I noticed a lot of names have "z" in them this time around.

Lalafell:
Lalafell female names are the reverse of what they were for Tarutarus in FFXI. Whereas in FFXI the Lalafell F may have been named Ropipi, in FFXIV she would be named Pipiro. A-A-B, like I mentioned above. For male names the last name has the same ending as the first, such as Forrem Gobrem.

Hope that helps!

Re: Racial Names - Magnus - 08-07-2010

Yes! Thanks for the help. I only played XI for about a week but this gives a great starting point.

Re: Racial Names - Faust - 08-07-2010

I'd be happy to start a name compilation when Beta 3 starts up, but generally my observations have been the same as Aveline's. The naming conventions, with exception to the Roegadyn, are very similar to those in XI. It's difficult to tell how clans may affect conventions so far, though, if they even put much thought into gender/clan. We may even find that home nation has a certain influence on the naming conventions, but there's no way to compare while only having access to Limsa.

Re: Racial Names - Tadir - 08-07-2010

While that name generator is great (and it is. thank you.) I agree. I would love if someone, or several someones in beta could compile a list of racial NPC names so we had something to judge off of when we make our own names.

I prefer not to leave my names to random chance or name generators. I like to take cultural naming tradition for the race into consideration and come up with something I think fits, but that is also mine.

I have my main character's name, but my alt has nothing. I don't know how to name her in the least.

Re: Racial Names - Aveline - 08-07-2010

That makes sense Tadir; it's what I do for my characters too. Even when I'm using the namegen to get an NPC name, I use it as a base and modify the name to whatever I want from there. Definitely understand where you're coming from.

If a few of us in beta start compiling name lists we should have a good selection of examples to post soon enough. I've got a small list of about 15 names from NPCs back at home that I'll post tomorrow morning.

Re: Racial Names - Aniir - 08-08-2010

Quote:Miqo'te:
There are two distinct naming styles for Miqo'te NPCs: some have an apostrophe in their names along with 2 consecutive consonants, such as: O'takka. Others have a short first name followed by a longish last name, similar to FFXI, such as: Bhyi Vomdezeloh. I noticed a lot of names have "z" in them this time around.
Quote:

From what I can tell: The Seekers have the apostrophe and Keepers don't.

Re: Racial Names - Kashemia - 08-08-2010

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to use apostrophes in the naming? I doubt I'll be changing Seraj no matter what, and it does seem like it fits fairly well, but it would still be nice to know ^^

Re: Racial Names - blueblacksky - 08-08-2010

That was a super helpful post Aveline. Allows me to start considering names much sooner.

Re: Racial Names - Asyria - 08-08-2010

I'm liking these names a lot less than expected...
I guess I won't pay much attention to naming conventions in this game. >.>

Re: Racial Names - Aniir - 08-09-2010

You can always come up with a ''real'' name along those convention but using a nickname instead Tongue

Re: Racial Names - Aveline - 08-09-2010

Asyria Wrote:I'm liking these names a lot less than expected...
I guess I won't pay much attention to naming conventions in this game. >.>

I'm not sticking to them for my character at all (Miqo'te with full name Aveline Blue), because I'm not fond of the Miqo'te names. But, I've come up with a plausible in-character explanation for her unusual name.

I think also that if we were to treat the FF14 world as realistic, it would make sense that there would be names borrowed from different racial naming conventions. In FF14 so far the races are not as divided as they were in XI (for instance, none of the city-states are "native lands" to any of the races). There seem to be some cultural divides (like Elezen are supposed to be excellent leatherworkers because of their traditions), but if everyone has been living together it would make sense that some Elezen might want to give their kid a Hyur name, or a Lalafell may name their child after their Miqo'te best friend they've known since childhood.

Re: Racial Names - Kashemia - 08-09-2010

I agree that it makes perfect sense to have names inspired from other cultures, so I wouldn't be too hung up on what fits exactly Smile

I'm just lucky that Seraj seem to fit decently ^^ Not 100% but close enough that it probably won't need other explanation.