Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction (/showthread.php?tid=3641)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Gideon Aryeh - 08-17-2013

*This post is for those who have already chosen Gilgamesh as their home server. For those who are still on the fence I suggest you check out this post and the video therein. Its a good neutral video and does an excellent job explaining the situations on both sides. I commend all that created it, thank you. http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3465&highlight=Nel+Celestine+server+video

Alright hello hello so you decided to join us on Gilgamesh and make your roleplaying home there along with the rest of us. But some things keep coming up that you keep hearing. Well this thread will break some things down as well as give information on what's the truth and what isn't. Lets start.

1. 4chan and Reddit are coming to Gilgamesh and will actively troll roleplayers.
FICTION

FACT: While Reddit is coming over to the server many of them are not only not trolls but actual roleplayers. There have been several posts on Reddit's site for those interested in roleplaying and many have been joining this site and both servers. Here is one of them below.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1da2ra/ffxivarr_roleplay/

FACT:4chan on the other hand has decided to make Ultros their home and not Gilgamesh. One of this sites members, Selsix has the actual link that confirms this as he is from 4chan. I'm sure he will have no issue sending you a link in the pm if you ask.

2. Gilgamesh will have more Lulz rp

FICTION

FACT:Many of us myself included are heavy roleplayers. While we are actively trying to push for a more inclusive community on the server and are pushing for it to be known that we are more tolerant and forgiving to those who don't fit normal roleplayer profiles. Now this does not mean that we are pushing a lighter roleplaying environment, it means we are pushing a more low barrier of entry environment. Many of us believe that in order to get larger numbers of participants in roleplay we must have more entry level rp to attract them. This does not mean that heavy rp will not happen. Quite the contrary heavy rp events will happen as more of us get familiar with the lore through playing the game. I have a few events in mind myself that will start appearing in the early winter. If you want to see heavy roleplay events there, please get them started because the more of us promoting and providing them means the more options for the server.

3. You guys have a smaller amount of roleplayers this will affect the quality.

FICTION

FACT:Several of us playing on Gilgamesh have nearly twenty years of roleplay experience. You are talking about in early mmos like Everquest, Ultima Online Asheron's Call and Meridian 59. I personally started in Everquest as a valiant Erudite paladin who saved people in trouble around Qeynos. Many of us will be bringing that experience with us to help build the foundations of the server. We will also be joined by a bevy of mmo vets starting today and at launch who come from rp communities in SWTOR, GW2, UO, EQ2 and WoW. I can confirm this personally.

4. Roleplayers are hiding on Gilgamesh because of trolls

FICTION

FACT:Right now due to restricted numbers in Linkshells we are being cautious by not doing shout spams for the linkshells themselves. You will though see searches for roleplayers in the various cities. With all the recent scares about trolls, 4chan, Reddit and the like we also do not wish to blitzkrieg the server yet just in case anything does happen I also point again to the linkshell limit, this does not mean that we are restricting anyone as we are constantly looking for our fellow roleplayers on the server so please still continue to pm the linkpearl holders in the game including myself. If the current linkshells fill to capacity we will be starting new ones to keep all the roleplayers together so don't worry you will get a spot.

I seriously recommend using the blacklist command if you have any issues with problem folk. As of right now there has not been any -major- effort to grief roleplayers on the server, but individual experiences may vary. Though do note that this is open beta, so things may change. We are prepared to dig our heels in and use that blacklist command to our hearts content. Blacklist can be found by clicking the social list bubble at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Here is an excellent post by Yeldir on how to deal with trolls in any mmo
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3384&pid=42831

Please note there HAS been public roleplay on the server already. Many right now are powerleveling. If you want to rp and you see me on hit me up as I prefer rp more than leveling honestly. There are others in the ic and ooc linkshells Coalition OOC and Limitless Sky who have been itching for public /say rp so just ask!

I have to give a hug to Tetraria (I forgot your last name- sorry heheee) for last night's rp. We rped for hours doing quest rp where my character was training hers how to fight, they also had conversations about pirates, the ocean and seeing the world. We picked up a few new members of the linkshells along the way who were happy to see roleplayers in the open rping and we were not trolled -once-. We also had some funny moments in rp bumping into others who were out in the world questing *hugs Parker*. I can't wait to bump into some of you. Feel free to engage me icly if you see my character out in the world.

*UPDATE

Just wanted to add a little more info, this one is for everyone

5. Most Gilgamesh roleplayers are there for the economy and server firsts they seem to place rp secondary

FICTION

FACT: This is -absolutely- not the case for everyone. Some are there because there is an appeal to start on a new server with everyone being new and treating it like a completely new game. I am somewhat of this frame of mind as economy and server firsts never come to my mind for reasons to play on a new server (heavy rper remember?). Some are there due to having friends in communities like Reddit who are not roleplayers but due to being able to as they say "Put their chocolate into the peanut-butter" There is an appeal to many to be able to rp and run with high power progression groups. I won't lie to you I am looking forward to playing with some of the best technical players in the game, many of us also look forward to roleplaying with many of them who have expressed interest.

I think the Redditers make fantastic class guides and I really really enjoy pugilist. This does not mean that I will be putting rp secondary, nor does this mean that no other server will have great game players. There is a small appeal to many being able to play in the same arena as the 90's era Chicago Bulls and some of the best guide makers on the net. Sure as with anything it won't be all positive but man its kinda cool lol. This may not matter to anyone, and that's fine. Your reasons are your own for being on Gilgamesh and they are just as important as anyone else's reason. Its our diversity that will make things great and make things stronger overall, and that is something good for ALL of us! We all are the ambassadors of great rp on the server and we all are the ambassadors of making sure roleplayers are seen in a positive light. Kill them with kindness you know? As far as myself, I'm just a cheerleader and many of us there will be cheeleaders for each other, that's it. You all are the leaders and I am very excited to see what you all come up with because I want to fanboy over -your- character, -your- guild and -your- events. Every single one of you, seriously. Got a great idea? Just get it started and keep us from waiting in suspense!

Many others are just interested in building a fantastic server that can be equal to the legendary Balmung, and I'm serious about that. Despite what many may think the old adage "Imitation is the best form of flattery"does have a place here. Now of course there are going to be differences as there always are for different rp servers. One will inevitably be better at noble rp, while another might be better at rp-pvp and one may be better than crafter based roleplay and so on and so forth, but once both servers settle and get their respective server cultures it will be interesting to see what happens indeed! I'm excited by it all honestly.

One thing I can guarantee is that we all are working our hardest to make sure that not only does Gilgamesh rp is known as being good it is known for its high quality and easy level of entry for those new to the hobby. We will all make sure that we put in the best effort we can to make it flourish and to make it last. As a long time roleplayer I personally believe that if rp on a server dies its the fault of the community itself. So I beg all of you to carve out your place on the server. Build your foundations, construct great things. Do the best you can, that helps every one of us, and that's all we can ask. Remember we are all in this together.

Now of course all of this will take time no doubt, we have a big mountain to climb ahead of us. But we've gotten this far and things have been good. So I know we can do it!

Most of all, ask for help and this means with everything (don't ask me what the best dps combinations are for pugilist or something else on that level just yet though, lol sorry, we do have pros with such things amongst us). We all are a community and if you fail we fail. I am telling everyone who is coming to Gilgamesh that I will personally help you with anything you want when it comes to roleplay. From helping you form Free Companies, Linkshells, concepts anything. In the past I have even helped wrote origin stories for guilds. If you have a concept and need to test it out please feel free to do so, and ask on the linkshells for help you will be sure to find it as many our members are doing their homework on lore and the like. You really will be pleased with what you find and for those who are helping to contribute resources for those who need it, well hell we need you too as nobody can do all the work alone. Proactive leaders will make Gilgamesh rp stand up to any trials and tribulations thrown at it and a force to be reckoned with. The stronger we stand together the harder it will be to bring what we built down!

Last but not least get yourselves on Vent and Skype on the community chats and servers if you're interested. The names I mention below can help with this as I am not much of a voice chatter myself. But you will see me in the Skype chats.

Regarding the Coalition OOC and Limitless Sky IC Linshells and how to get entry:

Send a tell to Yaein Mayweather,Yeldir Melfusor, Edrin Wiks, Miriluni Mimiluni and Luluni Luni or Amaare Margolis to get a pearl. Keep an eye on the site's calendar for upcoming events. There will be one tomorrow in Apkallu Falls in Old Gridania at 5pm EST, hope to see you there! http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3429

*UPDATE
Had to add one more just to clarify some things

6. Gilgamesh is overrun with trolls everywhere

FICTION

FACT: A group of about ten to fifteen of us rped throughout Ul'dah, Thanalan, Horizon and Vesper Bay in the open last night around 10pm est.. We did an rp class, did ic questing and at the end even did tavern rp all of this happened in /say ic and ooc.. All who attended had a good time. We switched off shout to avoid nasty chat scroll and fun was had by all. Remember trolls are a common happening in mmos, and running into two or three trolls does not mean that every single city is infested with them nor does it make a server hostile. As of this moment I have run into more roleplayers than trolls. Our current numbers on the linkshells are almost sixty members. Even if each city had ten trolls a piece that would amount to 30 trolls on the server confirmed, and this is nowhere near the case, the number if any is not even five confirmed in total for the server - and this is with very few who have experienced this. Once again our hub linkshells are nearly at 60 members a piece and this isn't including any other rp linkshells that are on the server with members that haven't joined the ic and ooc hubs yet. You do the math. It would be the equivalent of an elephant being scared of mice. And at this time it would be an elephant being scared of ants.

Bottom line is this, there are server choices for everyone, Gilgamesh is a new server it will have its growing pains. But I will be honest so far I've experienced more trolling on designated roleplaying servers in games like TERA and WoW. Much more, if I had to make an analogy it was like comparing a boulder to a grain of sand. Also remember that many players will not be able to get the game at first for launch and many will not be able to afford the sub. Last thing to take into account is that by the roleplayers on the server being so out in the open it gives time to set down the foundation that rpers are on the server prior to launch and that if you don't want to run into roleplayers you may want to reconsider coming to Gilgamesh.

At the end of the day its always best to do your own research. The server is more rp friendly than many would care to believe and has been since phase 3.

See you in game!

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Asyria - 08-17-2013

Nice work, there!
Also the Silver Anvil is in there with an OOC Linkshell and some of us were already high enough level to grab a crafting class when I logged out yesterday. o_o

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Selsix - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 08:46 AM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: FACT:4chan on the other hand has decided to make Ultros their home and not Gilgamesh. One of this sites members, Selsix has the actual link that confirms this as he is from 4chan. I'm sure he will have no issue sending you a link in the pm if you ask.

+1

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Gideon Aryeh - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 12:49 PM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 08:46 AM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: FACT:4chan on the other hand has decided to make Ultros their home and not Gilgamesh. One of this sites members, Selsix has the actual link that confirms this as he is from 4chan. I'm sure he will have no issue sending you a link in the pm if you ask.

+1

Thank you sir

(08-17-2013, 12:05 PM)Asyria Wrote: Nice work, there!
Also the Silver Anvil is in there with an OOC Linkshell and some of us were already high enough level to grab a crafting class when I logged out yesterday. o_o

Wonderful! You guys are going to play a very important part on the server.

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Keldion - 08-17-2013

Well, it is nice to see communities in both servers, i'll be joining Gilgamesh for the fresh start, its a shame that the game is a reboot in the sense that we now have old characters which can split us a little. But i'm sure both servers will bustle with activity.

And hey, nothings stopping us from making alts eh?

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Roda - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 05:53 PM)Keldion Wrote: Well, it is nice to see communities in both servers, i'll be joining Gilgamesh for the fresh start, its a shame that the game is a reboot in the sense that we now have old characters which can split us a little. But i'm sure both servers will bustle with activity.

And hey, nothings stopping us from making alts eh?
Too bad there's no guesting system like in GW2. :T

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Keldion - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 06:10 PM)Roda Wrote: Too bad there's no guesting system like in GW2. :T

Yeah, that system is amazing, it really helped me when I rolled on Jade quarry, only to consider GW2 for RP at a later date.

Updated with a new FICTION and FACT and some of my usual preachy Captain America happy goodness speech lol.

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Bloodwillow - 08-18-2013

Well the spouse and I have decided we will wait for Gilgamesh to open ... literally ... we are sitting here hitting refresh every 3 minutes.

I have a Marauder and the spouse gots an Arcanist ....

Hope we get in tonight!

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Gideon Aryeh - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 12:00 AM)Ridolain_Kirkwall Wrote: Well the spouse and I have decided we will wait for Gilgamesh to open ... literally ... we are sitting here hitting refresh every 3 minutes.

I have a Marauder and the spouse gots an Arcanist ....

Hope we get in tonight!

Glad to have you both! Hopefully you guys can attend the upcoming events on the server!

*UPDATE Kayle Delwyn and Booker Dewitt have been added as pearl holders so you can pm them for the linkpearls for the ic and ooc hubs!

*Updated with new information on trolling at the end of the original post

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Bloodwillow - 08-18-2013

*chuckles*

No offense ... but I think I will stay away from any Booker DeWitt .... *played Bioshock Infinate, knows who he REALLY is*   Laugh

(08-18-2013, 01:35 PM)Ridolain_Kirkwall Wrote: *chuckles*

No offense ... but I think I will stay away from any Booker DeWitt .... *played Bioshock Infinate, knows who he REALLY is*   Laugh

Lol

RE: Rping on Gilgamesh? Facts and Fiction - Gideon Aryeh - 08-19-2013

Thanks all who have read this just remember that research is key. Gilgamesh is a new server its going to have its growing pains. No mmo in the history of mmos has ever ever been troll free, and honestly I can say that Gilgamesh has been one of the best experiences on a non official rp server I've ever had. To expect a troll free mmo means that you are not playing an mmorpg. For all that are still continuing to join us and are realistic with their expectations of what to expect on a fresh server that will go through its growing pains?

See you in game!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and feel free to pm me with any questions, and hope to see you at the upcoming rp events on the server!