Hydaelyn Role-Players
TCGs - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: TCGs (/showthread.php?tid=369)

Pages: 1 2 3

TCGs - Zietes - 08-09-2010

So recently me and a couple of my friends got into the whole Trading Card Game scene. There's a nearby card shop that sells a bunch of cards and has a very friendly community and even hosts tournaments. We decided to get into the WoW TCG cause it's relatively new, and very very interesting. So far we all love it and seem to be getting into it hardcore. I'm participating in my first local tournament this thursday. Already had some of the pro's at the shop help me construct my deck and even special ordered some singles that I needed for my deck specifically.

That being said, does anyone here play any TCGs? I know they are a bit nerdy and can sometimes get a bit expensive, but they are so fun to play. So many possibilites with different decks, and it's always so fun to collect all the different cards cause of the art on them.

Re: TCGs - Hiname - 08-09-2010

Well, Im playing Magic the Gathering myself.

I like the fact that "every" card has use, one way or another. Not to mention the huge card database, oh so many choices..

Re: TCGs - ArmachiA - 08-09-2010

Magic The Gathering here. Mostly White and Black.

Re: TCGs - Seraphine Felstar - 08-09-2010

My friends and I play Magic once a week and then we have theme tournaments. I came in second in our Ice Age block 2 weeks ago and I'm hoping I do well in the Mirage block coming up. I have a blue and white levelers, blue and green landfall, red and green allies, phyrexia vs. coalition decks, and some random ones like ice age and mirage floating around. The main decks I'm working on at the moment are based on my Final Fantasy Dungeons and Dragons characters: Seraphine: angels/knights/solider pure white deck. Amelia: vampires pure black deck.

However, I've played Lord of the Rings, .Hack, Yugi-oh, and Pokemon in the past. I'd play WoW but I just don't have the time and I'm mad they made it so you don't get the mounts/pets/etc 100% if you get the card. RMTs ruin everything Cry

Re: TCGs - Tadir - 08-09-2010

About 15 years ago I played Magic. Green and Blue.

Re: TCGs - Tyriont - 08-09-2010

I used to play MTG, but the only people I can find around here are competetive players and frankly, I lack the desire to drop that much money just to keep up.

Re: TCGs - Renaise - 08-09-2010

I play Yu Gi Oh! and magic the gathering, havent built a standard MTG deck in ages though, the small group I go to every thursday exclusively plays Elder Dragon Highlander.

General-wise I play:

Mayael the Anima (Red, White, Green Super Fatties)

Oros the Avenger (Red White Black Knights, new M11 knight is awesome Big Grin)

Sliver Overlord (5 Colour sliver madness lol)

Ya know, I think I'm gonna have to find some people to play magic with sometime. I haven't played in nine years and half my cards are currently spread throughout my library as bookmarks. I kinda wish there were an online version.

Tadir Wrote:Ya know, I think I'm gonna have to find some people to play magic with sometime. I haven't played in nine years and half my cards are currently spread throughout my library as bookmarks. I kinda wish there were an online version.
There is but it can be as expensive as the real life version...
http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconline.aspx

However for something a bit more... well... free Tongue Google Magic Workstation, I tend to use that Tongue

Re: TCGs - Nikolai - 08-09-2010

I tried playing the WoW tcg for a time, and though I enjoyed it while it lasted, I couldn't really get into it. It doesn't seem to take itself very seriously.

Meanwhile, I still play Magic to this day. Lorwyn's my favorite expansion by far; I feel like the setting was brought out really well by the flavor of the cards-- something I feel zendikar's allies mechanic totally failed to do, on a side note. x_x
I mostly play blue/green, which seems to be pretty popular! This is my deck list, which I'm pretty proud of:

Lands: 9 Forest, 8 Island, 4 Misty Rainforest, 2 Reliquary Tower

Creatures: 4 Noble Hierarch, 4 Shorecrasher Mimic, 4 Cold-Eyed Selkie, 4 Murkfiend Liege, 3 Lorescale Coatl, 3 Trygon Predator, 2 Simic Guildmage, 2 Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Enchantments: 3 Favor of the Overbeing, 3 Shielding Plax

Instants: 4 Arcane Denial (replaced instead by Dream Fracture on the rare occasion I'm playing in an extended tournament), 1 Invert the Skies

... for a grand total of 60 cards! It's a lot of fun, and works pretty well for me. I've got a lot of friends who are also really into Magic, which makes it all that much more fun.

Meanwhile, I've got three works in progress drawn up in a neat little program called LackeyCCG: a scarecrow deck (my favorite creature type), a blue/green EDH style deck using Momir Vig as the general, and a green/black deck that revolves around getting my persistent creatures killed to queue their "enters the battlefield" effects in addition to triggering abilities from enchantments such as Grave Pact and Golgari Germination. They're all pretty fun to play so far, though they each have some issues... the green/black deck, for instance, is pretty top heavy, and in spite of abundant acceleration creatures, it tends to pick up pretty slowly...

But yeah, as far as online magic goes, I know it's not quite the same, but if you'd like to acquaint yourself with LackeyCCG, it's a really neat system that allows for up to 10 people to play in one game at a time. Just hit me up in a PM or in IRC and I'd be happy to play!

Did any of you ever make custom cards? I never did official league stuff, so it didn't matter. In college I made a set of FFVI cards.

Re: TCGs - Nikolai - 08-09-2010

I tried to make a Smash Brothers card-based board game when I was 11, but it didn't go too well. Angry

Made a few in my time lol

Show Content

For instance Tongue

I mean for magic. Same style and rules. Moogles were white creatures. I also tried to keep my cards balanced.

...except for the tonberry...

I made it. I didn't use it.

Not sure balance means much in MTG these days... check out the recent Eldrazi cards lol

[Image: 4506353303_b0df4b29d6_o.jpg]

Annihilator 6 means when this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices 6 permanents Tongue