Hydaelyn Role-Players
Third Time is Not the Charm [story, ooc welcome] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Third Time is Not the Charm [story, ooc welcome] (/showthread.php?tid=3797)

Third Time is Not the Charm [story, ooc welcome] - Naunet - 08-21-2013

((Copied from RP done in the CRA IC chat box. Fun times were had! Takes place the evening following First Impressions are the Worst.))

Arriving at the Bismarck five hours before the intended meeting time, D'hein had made a reservation at the best table in the house, the one nearest the balcony, and then waited patiently for his reservation to come to fruition. The reservation had been for two hours before the intended meeting time, and D'hein had spent that time preparing the table. Which meant moving it closer to the balcony, taking away all but two chairs, which were set nearby one another, and then requesting extra decorations for the table. 

Finally, an hour and a half before he was supposed to meet Antimony, he settled into a seat and ordered a tall glass of milk. And then waited. He didn't bring anything to read or busy himself about. He just sat there with his milk, ears twitching and tail flicking around behind him, as the sun progressed towards twilight.

Antimony crossed the bridge leading to the Biskmarck precisely five minutes prior to the designated time. She'd changed her clothes from earlier, though the current robe wasn't notably different from the last: high of collar, dark green of color, tailored more for practicality than fashion. Though she'd walked past this particular business a number of times, she'd never had the funds or the want to enter, and so she spent nearly three minutes observing those seated outside, many dressed in finery, and the movements of the wait staff as they brought food and drink and generally took very good care of their customers. 

She thought to herself that the third time must be the charm and hopefully she could keep herself together long enough to finally make a decent impression on her new management. As it was, Antimony was certain that at least Ildur may have begun to question her capability. Another minute had passed, by her judgment, and she approached the door. A hostess stood just inside and greeted her with a smile. The miqo'te's ears flicked around, taking in the quiet din of the indoor seating area and said in a crisp but not unkind tone, "I'm meeting someone. A D'hein..." She trailed off then, and realized she had no idea how to refer to the miqo'te partner to Ildur.

A broad shouldered man, perhaps on the shorter side for the highlander race enters into the Bismarck. Alcor Baen, as he was known, was looking for a change in his normal routine. On a typical night, he often passed his time on Limsa's lower decks, but his son had suggested this place on the merit of having Smoked Dodo. Nevermind that he was flying solo this night. Such had never particularly bothered him. He always manged to find company well enough.

He walked through the door and into the entry, he accidently brushing into a small, older looking Mi'qote woman. Alcor looked down at the woman, an amused grin on his aging, but well-cut face. "Oh, sorry Ma'am. I didn't see ya there." He glances up at the matradee, throwing the woman a smile.

Clasping her hands in front of her, Antimony took a step to the side, ducking her head briefly as her tail swished behind her. "It's alright," she soothed and reached up to adjust her round-framed glasses. "I don't suppose I should've stood around in the middle of the doorway..." she added distractedly, green eyes glancing about the front of the building searchingly.

The edges of his eyes crinkled slightly, as he took in the nervous habit of the woman before him. The scar across his clouded eye seemed to deepen as he did so, a trick of the light. "Ya be lookin' a little lost there. Can't find your beau?"

Her eyes snapped to the hyur's scarred face at that and she cleared her throat, "Ah, no, that's not it... Just a business dinner." Something clicked in her mind and she sighed, "Two minutes past." What an excellent third impression!

Alcor frowned slightly at her distress, "Ahh. Nothing ta be so nervous about. Though... Its a rather swanky place ta be having a business dinner, if I do say so. Who ya lookin for? I might'n be able to help."

She looked to the hostess, who had gotten distracted with helping another arrival to a table. "Hm, I'm not sure you could." She pondered briefly the virtues of just pushing her way into the restaurant and wandering around. "Though... have you seen a miqo'te.. ah, blonde hair, green eyes. A bit... well, he seemed a bit twitchy when we first spoke."

Meanwhile, D'hein, who had lost track of time long ago, had been given a fresh glass of milk. His back was to the rest of the restaurant, and except for taking a moment to thank the waitress with a broad smile and lop-sided ear twitch, he continued watching the sea.

Alcor smiled again, his less-than-perfect teeth flashing. It was obvious that he had lost a couple over the years, having had subbed in what looked like golden replacements for them. "Oh, I'm sure I can find him fer ya. I'm a mite taller than yeh. Just give me a few to scout about, yeah?"

Her ears pushed back slightly in embarrassment. "Well, alright. If it's not too much… trouble." The hostess seemed happy to let the two of them converse, busy with dealing with other folks, and Antimony silently resigned herself to simply having to arrive late.

"No trouble at all ma'am." He began to walk away out into the crowded restaurant, before turning back slightly, "Oh, might'n I ask yer names teh be facilitating?"

She followed a few steps but was stopped by the thought that maybe, just maybe, D'hein had not arrived yet, in which case she should... "Antimony Jhanhi," she said, gesturing to herself. "I'm looking for a, uhm, D'hein... something." Her mouth twisted. She really should have determined what he went by.

"That's fine. A pretty name yeh have," his smile tugging at the edges slightly as he winks from his good eye to Antimony. With that he enters into the actual restaurant.

The Bismarck was rather crowded, much more so than Alcor had expected. Mizar had said it was nice, but had failed to mention that apparently it was somewhat of a destination for folks. Or at least that was it appeared to be from the sorts of folks that were dining at it droves this evening. While of below average height for a Highlander, Alcor still had enough height on him that he was able to scan the tables with relative ease, looking for a lone Mi'qote.

The tip of Antimony's tail twitched a bit anxiously at the hyur's wink, and as he moved further into the restaurant, she turned to face the door in hopes of catching her future boss on his way in. This time she made sure to stand off to the side, well away from the flow of traffic.

Alcor made his way towards the back of the main dining room, not having seen any likely suspect that met Antimony's description. He glanced around once more before moving out onto the balcony.

And D'hein was just sittin there with his back on everyone like durrrrrrrr.

Considerably less crowded than the main dining area, Alcor quickly spotted the lone Mi'qote, whose back was to everyone looking out towards the water. He took in the scene, raising his scarred brow at the obviously overwrought design of the Mi'qote's setting, and let out a brief snort, "Business my arse," he mumbled to himself. Walking over to the man, Alcor set his hand on his shoulder to get his attention. "You... D'hein?"

D'hein still wore his red robe from earlier, but had groomed his thick hair and tail and adorned himself in a number of suitable pieces of jewlery: earrings, a heavy necklace, four rings (for symmetry). This various baubles clattered as he recoiled very suddenly from his seat and spun to face the scar-faced man that had snuck up on him. His eyes squinting and his lips pulled back very slightly to reveal his teeth, his bit out, "Who's asking?"

Alcor pulled his hand away from the heavily bedecked Mi'qote, laughing jovially. "Alcor Baen. I ain't meaning yeh no harm. So don't be worryin' yer pretty head over it."

Deflating mostly, D'hein's ears remained flat against his head, and his tail shivered in warning. "My heads not that pretty. What business is it of yours?"

"Oh... its plenty pretty." Alcor's laugh had died down into an amused grin. "Yer waitin' on a little lady aren't yeh? But yeh might want ta be a little more upfront about yeh interest, man." He gestured to the fancily decorated table that rather stood out amongst its kinfolk. "She right believes it’s a business dinner. But it don't be lookin' like that from up here."

Quirking his features in confusion, one of his ears turned sideways and the other directed itself towards the man. "What? And how are you...?" His eyes went wide and he pointed an accusatory fingure, "Ah ha! You're Ulanan aren't you?"

Alcor's brow drew up and inward in momentary surprise, before he let his features relax back into a loose grin, his golden caps glinting amidst a yellowed set of teeth. "Ah... so yeh've heard of me then?"

"Well, yes, and I'll have you know," D'hein's demeanor changed fairly suddenly. He drew himself up into a proud stance, crossing his arms over his chest and saying in a rather smug tone, "That your jealousy serves no purpose. You've nothing to be jealous of anyway. My intentions towards Antimony are purely professional."

"They are? Well... yeh had me fooled man. Looks like a lot of time and effort went teh this..." he paused for emphasis, "meeting of yers. Don't think I've ever been invited to such a fancy thing just fer a little business."

Antimony,meanwhile, stood by the door with increasing impatience, one booted foot tapping steadily on the floor, her tail twitching rhythmically behind her. She'd crossed her arms and a small frown had settled into her features as she stared resolutely towards the entrance.

"Well you're wrong. I prepared this very briefly and treat all of my close constituents likewise. It's a normal part of Ul'dah culture! I won't expect a pirate to understand." He cast a frown at 'Ulanan' and said, "Were you sent ahead to appraise the situation before giving Antimony permission to come?"

Alcor cast an appraising look over the younger man, his grin dropping slightly. "A pirate? Now why would yeh be saying that?" He shook his head slightly before continuing, "And as fer the little lady, Antimony seems rather deaf to yer tune, so I find myself having to be watchin' out fer her. Yeh say yer a close constituent? She barely knew yer name."

Huffing proudly,D'hein said, "Of course you don't grasp the complexities of a professional relationship. Pirate, by the way, because we're in Limsa and you look... Well, human. Or a small Roegadyn. Now, I've no patience for men that try to 'look out for' women. She's smart,and she's got more insight than you do, I assure."

Antimony's tailwhipped behind her hard enough to smack against one of the decorative tables she stood near. Really, all this standing around and waiting was getting her nowhere. If he hadn't arrived by now... well, that hyur had been gone a rather long time. Letting out a short sigh, she turned from the door and, sparing a glance towards the busy hostess, slipped past the entryway further into the restaurant. It was dimly lit, but the soft yellow lighting worked well enough, and she began to make her way through the tables, searching.

"Ho there...Was that a slight against my kind? Ain't nothin' wrong with sailin' fer a livin'. Aye. Antimony's probably smarter than I, but that ain't mean that I got nothin' teh bring to the yer fancy table."

Blinking twice, and then three times, D'hein snapped his head back and flipped his tail and looked suddenly distressed, "What? No! I... I'm not slighting anyone's 'kind'. I don't even know what... Now listen here! What are you trying to do?"

"Excuseme"-ing her way between the paths of wait staff and wandering patrons, scattered chairs, and the occasional ill-placed handbag, Antimony's ears twitched reflexively at a familiar voice over the low background din of the restaurant - or rather, two familiar voices. She turned then and caught sight of the broad back belonging to whom she could only assume was the hyur who had offered to help (an assistance that, in hindsight, struck her as strange, but there was nothing to be done for it). As she approached, D'hein's form swerved into view behind the hyur's, and Antimony's tail shivered in frustrated anxiety. Here all along! And now she was doubly late. "Ah, you found him!" She exclaimed, and hurried forward.

"I ain't doin' nothing. Though yeh seem to think that all a Hyur in Limsa can be doin' is piracy..." He trailed off and turned to the woman walking up to them. "Oh, Antimony. Got rather... caught up in discussion with your... D'hein." He reached up and ran his rough-hewn hands through his greying mane. "Sorry 'bout that."

"What? Whendid I ever-... And you're just-.... I would never!" When Antimony approached, D’hein was still fairly disheveled, and he took a moment to fix his clothes and accessories and compose himself. When he spoke again, it was far calmer: "Ah ha,Antimony. If you'd told me that Ulanan here was coming I'd have set an extra place."

"Ulanan?"Her ears lilted in obvious confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Alcor chuckled, abit awkwardly. "He's talkin' 'bout me."

That attempt at an explanation didn't exactly help, and she turned her confused expression on the hyur. "Is your name Ulanan, too...? That would be an odd... coincidence."

He shook his head, still chuckling, "Nah, name's Alcor. D'hein here simply made some assumptions as to my personage. Seems ta think I and this 'Ulanan' are quite a threat to his influence on you."

"What...?"

D'hein displayed his confusion in his frown and his twitching ears. Then, at Alcor's words, his eyes went flat against his head and his tail stuck out straight behind him. He pointed a finger and declared, "Slander! I asked if you were here friend Ulanan and you said 'yes'!Which is a lie, I see! Oh, you don't fool me!"

Grinning, he turnd to D'hein, "Actually... I told yeh my name. Yeh weren't listening. Too wrapped in yer own world. Not my fault yeh make too many assumption."

"I don't..." Stifling a harried look, Antimony brought her hands in front of her and looked between the two men. "I'm very sorry for any confusion caused. I was only attempting to locate you in this strange place, and the hostess was rather busy, but I didn't know if you had made a reservation, so I wasn't certain if I should wait or simply try and find you, but this man offered to help and for reasons beyond me, I accepted, and so I've been waiting at the door for far too long, and there has been so much confusion caused by all of this, and I'm certain at least one of you must be offended, but you must, you must accept my humblest apologies, please." Taking a deep breath, she bowed her head.

Casually waving Antimony off, "Nah, it ain't your fault." And then, casting his growl at Alcor, "This guy's just a creep."

Antimony opened her mouth as though to protest, thought better of it, and then went on ahead, "Oh no, but he was only helping me locate you!"

Raising his brow at Antimony's long winded explanation, Alcor said, "Yeh shouldn't be sorry. Its my fault. But after seein' this man's..." he cast his hand out to gesture to D'hein and the table, "rather romantic setup, I felt the need to feel 'em out fer yeh, since yeh didn't seem ta know him at all... expectin' a business meeting and all..."

Antimony gave Alcora not really comprehending look.

D'hein threw up a finger of protest, "It's a business set-up! I use it for everyone! And who are you to decide it is your business, hm? You don't think highly of women, do you!"

Alcor let out a laugh at D'hein's rather vehement queries, "Oh, I think plenty highly of women. No need ta be worryin' about that. Don't mean that I can't be feelin' a mite protective over 'em at times though. 'specially when it seems someone is aiming ta be takin' advantage of 'em."

Pursing her lips,Antimony straightened her posture and lifted her chin slightly. "As flattering as it is for both of you to be... arguing over this," her tone might've implied it was more frustrating than flattering, "I'm perfectly capable of handling myself with my employer," she looked to Alcor as she spoke, and then to D'hein, "And I don't need anyone chastising people for me for perceived slights."

D'hein threw Antimony a hurt look, "He grabbed me and called me a racist and said my intentions were improper!"

Alcor rolled his eyes at D'hein's accusation, turning his attention to Antimony, "Of course yeh can take care of yerself. I apologize fer my interference, I ain't be meaning harm by it."

The apology seemingly soothed her ruffled fur a bit, for she offered Alcor a brief smile, "Good then. And thank you for locating him for me." Her ears twitched, her tail curling a bit against her leg suddenly. "Though... once again it seems I've made a rather poor impression. I'm terribly sorry for being late. And after selecting the time myself, too!" She shook her head.

D’hein looked over at Antimony, "Huh?"

Her brow furrowed at the other miqo’te, "... What?"

"Well, I hadn't noticed if-" and then, shaking his head, "What you should really be apologizing for is sending some maniacal stranger at me. I've never been so insulted!"

Alcor looked as if he were about to speak, when his brows drew together at D'hein's statement. "Hey now. No need ta be insultin' me more. Standin' right 'ere ya know."

"Maniacal...?"Ears pushed back against her skull briefly and she leaned forward just slightly in earnest. "I didn't mean any rudeness. He offered to look for you, while I made sure... well. It seems rather silly now." Thin shoulders sloped downward in apology.

"Wasn't silly. I had the time and the inclination ta help a lady out." He smiled briefly at Antimony, "Seems I've overstayed my welcome." He sighed, " Looks like I ain't gonna be gettin' my Smoked Dodo tonight."

Tossing a nonplussed look Alcor's way, D'hein turned to Antimony and said, "Only silly thing is us not having ordered and begun conversation yet. Let's sit down and leave this offensive gentleman to his evening."

Pursing her lips in consideration, Antimony nodded, hesitated, and then turned to Alcor, "I must do something for you to make up for all this trouble. Order what you'd like - I will make sure to cover it." As she said this, she inwardly winced and hoped the hyur wouldn't take too much advantage of that offer.

A fairly genuine smile came to the surface. "Nah, this place is too fancy fer the likes of me. I'm normally down on the lower decks. Feel free ta look me up if'n ya still want ta make it up ta me. Name is Alcor Baen, not too hard to track. Was lovely meetin' ya little lady, careful round this one," He nodded his head towards D'hein, before starting to weave his way through the crowded restaurant.

D'hein scowled at him as he went away.

There was a moment of silence as she committed the name to memory before she nodded, "I will, thank you," and then turned back to D'hein as the hyur began to move away.

Waiting until Alcor hasd left, D'hein said, "I know that type. They slum around Pearl Lane in Ul'dah looking for people to prey upon."

A greyed eyebrow arched. "This isn't exactly Pearl Lane. He seemed nice enough." And then she turned fully to finally take in the little set-up D'hein had organized on the balcony.

"Seemed nice to you. That's my point. You didn't hear him while he was over here!" D'hein sat down, roughly, "Only rich men and scoundrels change their way of talking that fast. And that's not a rich man."

Antimony was silent for a moment, scanning the table and balcony area before shaking her head. "Well, it's no matter. I'm only sorry that this meeting got off on such an... awkward foot." Her tail curled a bit tighter against one leg.

Not ready to smooth out the conversation yet, his ears still laid against his head and the tip of his tale still ticked back and forth. "It is a matter if you take him seriously. He's trying to get you down in the lower decks where he can prey on you. Obviously. A pretty woman in the Bismark! He obviously thinks you're rich and all alone."

Antimony laughed at that, a bit tensely. "I'm hardly rich." A pause. "I've lived in Limsa for five years now. I know where and when not to go. There's no need to worry."

Antimony's laugh drew a chuckle from D'hein, but his ears still displayed his discomfort, "Worrying? If that's what I'm doing then I'm embarrassed. I know you're smart, but I also know that hyur's no friend of ours. Oh, no."

She waved a hand, "He was helpful, at the very least. But really, we don't need to argue about this."

One of his two ears lifted and pointed at Antimony, and his face quirked into frustration, "He helped? Exactly how did he help? By berating me for several minutes?"

"Berating!" she exclaimed and glanced at the chair set close to D'hein's own. One hand moved to rest on its back, but she hesitated in sitting to add, "He helped me locate you." And then she pulled the chair out enough that she could slip down into it, tucking her tail against her thigh. "If what I heard is what you're referring to, though, it hardly sounded like 'berating'."

He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted somewhat, "Oh you most certainly did not hear the worst of it. What a crass creature he was."

She tilted her head and took a moment to adjust her glasses before replying, "That's not the kind of behavior that would align with the impression he gave me. Granted... I don't think either of us saw him for more than several minutes each."

"As I said, he switched tones suspiciously quickly! I doubt he's anything more than a trouble-maker, but I wouldn't be trusting him. Oh, no." He huffed, grimacing. "This has left me in a foul mood. Let's order something so I can forget the entire ordeal."

Antimony looked away briefly. "Apologies. I should have simply gone looking myself, or at the very least pressured the hostess a bit more, but she already seemed so hassled with her work, and I--" She shut her mouth forcibly, fully self-conscious that she had begun to ramble and turned her gaze down to the menu.

"I'm just going to start with milk. You like milk, don't you? I'll order us two."

"Uhm." It occurred then to Antimony that in all of her years, she'd never actually had milk, even after moving to a city where such a commodity would be available, but she didn't dare jostle D'hein's mood any more. Instead, she simply smiled and nodded, "That would be lovely."

"Excellent!" D'hein unfurled his crossed arms in a very sudden gesture that (thanks to how close he'd set his and Antimony's chairs together – he was wearing a crisp, flowery desert cologne, incidentally--) had him almost elbowing Antimony. "At once, then." He then proceeded to wave about with one hand in an attempt to garner some service.

Antimony had leaned away from his thrusting arms, and then twisted in her seat to peer back out towards the restaurant. Either D'hein's manic waving or her own face caught the eye of one of the wait staff, and the man - an elezen as thin and tall as any of his race with ruddy skin and slicked back hair - strode over with an offer of service. Still leaning somewhat to one side, Antimony peered up at the towering waiter with a short smile. "I think we'll be taking two glasses of milk, please."

"Tall ones," added D'hein. "Very cold. And we'll be ordering our meals soon."

The elezen bowed briefly in acknowledgment and then turned to fill the short order. Antimony relaxed back in her chair then, folding her hands in her lap and casting a sideways look at D'hein. "I don't suppose it would be appropriate to discuss business until we've had our meal," she said after a pause.

"Hm? Oh, no. That's quite wise of you. We should discuss less serious things." Letting go over his early stresses rather easily at this point, he turns his ears to her and smiles tightly, "Have you any unprofessional curiosities I might address?"

Her brows lifted at that, her mind running at lightspeed to settle on something, anything with which to respond. "Uhm," she began rather eloquently. "Well, I suppose..." What an awkward question! "Perhaps you could tell me how you came to be... ah, involved with this Agency I'm to be working for...?" Unprofessional, but still work-related in a sideways way. Safe. She silently congratulated herself.

"Ah, well, that!" He laughed, and the laugh faded, and then he was smiling at the floral arrangement on the table. Belatedly he seemed to remember that a question had been asked, and he said, "Well, I had the sufficient skills, experience and philosophy at the appropriate time and place for all involved. Much like yourself."

"That's a rather good non-answer," she observed, only too late considering that it might have been too blunt. Her ears flicked back away from D'hein uncertainly.

He threw a smile her way, "Being in business means being good at non-answers. There was need of a man in Ul'dah and I know the financial landscape of that rather maddeningly complex region very well."

Antimony watched D'hein for several seconds before realizing she was likely expected to respond and so said hastily, "The Sultana and the Syndicate turned that city into rather a hub of commerce, from my understanding." Truthfully, she had done her best to avoid work in the Thanalan area, and Perelon and Ernafalk had largely obliged her. "Though, I'm not nearly as familiar with it as I am Limsa or... even Gridania."

"It's better that way. Limsa and Gridania only have a few levels of commerce. Ul'dah has hundreds." He nodded, "You don't want to be familiar with it. It's insane."

A small frown and, "That's not to say it's beyond my capabilities. I simply prefer to work in other locations."

Balking slightly, D'hein attempted a recovery, "No, I didn't mean to say it was. I mean to say you'd lose a few years off your life working there."

She looked at him for a moment before nodding, the angle of her ears relaxing just a bit, "That's likely true. But then, why Ul'dah for you?"

To that he gave a shrug, "Not all of us choose our homes. It's where I found myself, and the people I started with worked beneath the Syndicate. Those aren't connections that one wants to let go once one has them."

"Hm," she wove her fingers together in her lap, "I suppose not. It seems to have served you well, at least." She gave him a critical eye. "I did some reading while adjusting the contract and was impressed with what you and your, ah, partner have accomplished."

"Oh, yes!" He smiled broadly, tail whipping about behind him. Thanks to the proximity of their chairs to one another, his tail whacks Antimony's and he puts a hand behind him to manually move it, "Ah, sorry! Accident. Uhm. What exactly?"

Her own tail curled forward, against the side of her leg and the chair, and her eyes frowned a split second downward before settling back on the conversation, "What? Oh, what. Well, not that I'm particularly political, but the sheer organization requirements for working across city-state lines... Perelon and Ernafalk did not often have assignments outside Limsa, and then it was only individuals, never whole economic entities."

"Ah, yes it's very impressive! I wish I could take any credit for that at all! However," he paused and reached for a nearly-empty glass of milk on the table. Yes, he ordered more milk while he still had milk. And he swirled the milk like a glass of wine as he said thoughtfully, "But the Agency's a great deal older than I am. I think Ildur was a lot closer to the ground floor, so I'll credit him for its impressive state."

"Perhaps, considering the state of your desk, it's a wonder you get any work done." She might've thought to be embarrassed by the brashness of that jab, but then the waiter returned, bending low to set two glasses of milk - tall, and a bit wet with condensation from being chilled - in front of them. She smiled briefly to the elezen in thanks.

D'hein finished off his one glass, gave it to the waiter to take away, and began on the next before he finally managed to say, "My desk is in a perfectly sublime state. The organization is just well beyond Lominsan standards. In fact, it uses a unique organization system I learned the personal aide of Chairman Lord Lolorito himself!"

Antimony's eyed narrowed dubiously. "Lord Lolorito has time to instruct citizens in desk organization, then?"

"No, I doubt that! What a thought!" He laughed. "One of his aides, Antimony! He's got several dozen, I'd guess. I'd never dream to make such a ponderous claim as any contact with the Lord himself. As far as I know I've never been within a mile of the man!"

"It certainly didn't look like organization. Perhaps you can explain it to me?" She gave him a straight and honest expression.

"It takes nearly a year of practice to master such a system," he says, smiling playfully at Antimony, "I'm sure someone of your caliber could do so in half the time, so perhaps."

One grey brow arched. "You think so highly of me, then? I don't think your partner was convinced of its usefulness, but then I haven't seen it in action to judge."

"Hm? Think highly of you? No, I've only just met you." Then, slowing his speech in thought, "It would be more precise to say I hope highly of you. Based on the hub-bub of your recruitment and how highly you came recommended. That and you're just dripping with eccentricity. Which is a quality I appreciate. Rare and refreshing in Lominsans."

Her lips pursed. "Eccentricity. I'm worried that is an awfully nice way of referring to how I've utterly bungled each meeting I've had with you and Ildur."

"Bungled?" D'hein set his milk aside and turned to look full on Antimony's face. "No. How so?"

She cleared her throat and, rather than reply immediately, took her glass of milk in one hand and sniffed at it. Not a particularly remarkable scent, perhaps a bit sweet. Her eyes darted to D'hein briefly. "I was rather a mess when your partner first came to make my acquaintance. And then there was..." She trailed off, eyed the glass in her hand, and then took a tentative sip. The flavor matched what she'd smelled, and it wasn't unpleasant.

"Well, it's nothing to be upset about. Such things will be forgotten in time. I scarcely remember them already."

"Hm?" Antimony blinked at him, distracted by tasting the milk.

"Precisely my point! Now, have you looked at the menu at all?"

"Have I..." Her eyes trailed downward to settle on a sheet of parchment she only now realized had been set on the table directly in front of her. "Well." She should have looked into this before arriving, she chided herself. Always plan ahead! "No," she admitted, the very tip of her tail twitching as her eyes scanned the page. They caught briefly on a dish of braised dodo, which reminded her of the unfortunate hyur from earlier and her mouth twisted.

D'hein, who had not eaten since his arrival five hours earlier, concealed his ravenous hunger decently well as he watched Antimony look over the menu. "They can cook you just about anything in all of La Noscea here, and a few things from elsewhere."

"Anything," her eyes slid to D'hein. "That's a rather tall order." In the anxiety of preparing for this meeting, and then the stress that had come from the mess of its inception, Antimony found her appetite rather gone, but she couldn't admit to that. She had to be especially careful not to cause any more bother, not once, not a single moment of it. One finger trailed slowly down the menu. "Daily catch, blackened with local spices. Coastal vegetables. Hm. Well, alright."

"That's a good one. Always fresh, though I like to make sure I'm getting red fish. Goes better with milk."

Looking around to try and find where that Elezen had gone off to, D'hein said, "If you're ready to order...?”

"If you are," she replied, and found herself inwardly looking forward to the food, even if she wasn't exactly hungry. At least wrapped up in the business of eating, she had less of a chance of saying something that could get her fired. Their elezen waiter arrived mid-thought, appearing as though he had always been there, with a polite request to take their orders. Antimony pointed out the meal she'd settled on and then looked to D'hein.

D'hein inquired of what the catch of the day actually was, then acquired into the when and where of the catch and what the other options were ("Are there any other catch-of-the-days or do they only catch one specific thing per day?") and went through the list of fish-related questions that no waiter could possibly know, for several different fish, before finally saying, "Well, let's just fix it up catch-of-the-day-style, but with the reddest fish you've got on hand, please."

Throughout all this, Antimony watched D'hein speak with a distant amusement, one corner of her mouth quirked up just the slightest. "You forgot to ask him precisely what lures were used to catch the fish," she ventured after the waiter had left.

"Oh! That's-" D'hein's ears were twitching around, a wry smirk set on his face that spoke of static amusement caused primarily by confusion. "Is that something I should ask?"

"Well, you never know. The hook could have damaged the insides, or if it were live bait, there might be..." Antimony trailed off, tail swishing down to brush against the floor in a wide arc of entertainment.

"... I should definitely ask upon their return, then!" D'hein nodded, looking a bit disturbed, "What do Lominsans use as bait? Surely nothing untoward!"

"Uhm," she wondered then how long she could continue whatever charade she'd unintentionally entered into and so lifted a hand in a soothing gesture, "I'm sure it's fine, or they wouldn't sell it at as fancy a place as this, yes?"

"One never knows of Lominsans." D'hein looked about with suspicion, then shrugged, "Well. One can't try the local fare without risk. And I haven't died here yet, so I'm probably fine. How is your milk?"

"I don't think you need to worry about dying," Antimony commented, thinking briefly to feel insulted at his comment regarding Lominsans, but his following question shifted the direction of her thoughts. Suddenly enough that she blinked at him for several seconds before her ears perked up in realization. "Oh! Of course, my milk." She licked her lips and thought of the cool, creamy, and almost sweet liquid. "I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it is good."

Tilting his head, D'hein also turned his ears towards her in a most crooked and non-symmetrical manner, "Well, yes. good milk is always good. It's a rule of the world!"

"Should I have said... something more?" Her head tilted to one side. "I've never actually had... well. It is new. But refreshing." Her tail shivered down its length self-consciously, distinctly aware that she had no idea how to handle these kinds of inter actions.

"You can never have enough milk!" D'hein proclaimed, unconscious of Antimony's body-language. He returned his gaze to his glass, smiling fondly at it like a friend, "Nothing better for a person. Just milk and love is all a man needs."

"Not sleep? Or perhaps air?"

"Uhm... Well, yes, if we're poking hole sin the colloquialism." D'hein stated this neutrally before sipping at his milk.

Antimony looked down to her milk and cleared her throat, "Ah, I apologize. I meant only... well." And she took a sip of her own drink, thinking that she really shouldn't even attempt jokes, not in such a delicate situation.

Looking sideways to watch Antimony drink her milk, D'hein questioned, "Is it my turn to voice a curiosity now?"

Antimony's thoughts had shifted to wondering why she hadn't thought to purchase some milk, but then of course there was always a question of where she would keep it, as these things needed to be kept cool, and she didn't think there was a proper cellar available in her small flat, though perhaps the landlord might have access to-- "... Hm?" She blinked at her glass, and then at D'hein. "Oh! Well. It's... only fair, yes."

Nodding and turning his wide smile into a sort of conspiratorial smirk, he said, "You don't really have a typical Miqo'te name."

Her tail curled tight against the side of her calf through her robe, and Antimony forced a small smile at that. "No, I suppose I don't. I hope it's not... it doesn't offend you, does it?"

"Oh, no! What's offensive about it? Does it mean something?"

Antimony shook her head. "No, well, I had to pick something and..." She blinked and then laughed. "Anyway, it's nothing special. And I hope nothing offensive."

Managing a chuckle, "Of course it's not offensive. That isn't a very good non-answer, though."

"It's a metal. Ah, commonly shipped into Limsa ports from mines from the north, in my understanding," she said after a moment, ears flicking back uncomfortably.

"Mm. And why were you named that?"

Antimony blinked. "Ah, I... don't really know. I suppose it seemed like a proper name."

"Oh, I don't know if it's proper or not. I just noticed it wasn't typical. Your parents were probably city Miqo'te, hm?"

She watched D'hein for a moment, and then looked to her glass of milk, stating simply, "No."

"Uhm... Is this not something I should be...?" His ears twitched on his head.

"It's alright." Antimony smiled briefly, though at the glass of milk rather than D'hein. "I would rather not discuss it, though."

"That's fine. I'll not ask about it again so long as I live, then." He gave her a nod and a flick of a single ear, though the latter was likely meaningless. "Care to tell me the story of how you came to meet Ildur? I'm not privy."

Her nose wrinkled, the subject unpleasant, but at least it wasn't... "Ah, you mean the very first impression I made a right mess of." She managed a wry chuckle at that, and her tail relaxed slightly, drooping down towards the floor to sway in small, slow arcs. "I suppose he got ahold of my files after Perelon and Ernafalk... ah, well," she blinked, "came to sad end. Supposedly they had connections with the Agency, and he was, hm, taking care of the left over resources."

"Ah. Well, I wouldn't put it same connotations you would, but that's fine. Hopefully you don't consider yourself just a resource that's being taken care of, though."

"That's what it is. Why wouldn't I?" she said and gave him a perplexed look.

D'hein looked distinctly disturbed. Enough to lean away from Antimony so that she could see all the clearer his expression, "Why, people aren't resources! I mean, they are, thus the term 'human resources'. But they aren't merely resources. The Agency is made up of people that have personal relationships! Not just resources being used."

Frowning at his reaction, Antimony pressed her lips together and then, "Well, of course. I suppose I was speaking on a purely professional basis. I can't imagine any other reason Ildur would have gone after me, after all."

One ear standing up and the other pointing off to one side, D'hein gave Antimony a confused look, "Gone after you? Odd way of putting it."

Antimony's own ears flicked back slightly. "I'm sorry, is there a better term...? He did show up at my home..." She looked up towards the ceiling. "Unfortunately. I can't say I was very presentable at the time..."

Not really changing his expression at all, D'ehin said, "Perhaps he chose a poor time to visit."

She smiled a bit tightly. "Perhaps. I'd only learned of Perelon and Ernafalk's deaths a few days prior, and it... well, that's not exactly something I had wanted to hear, you understand."

"I'm sure not! One hears of death all the time in Ul'dah, but one of the reasons I come to Limsa is to get away from that. They may be pirates he, but the Maelstrom comes down on them hard when they misbehave."

Nodding, Antimony opened her mouth to reply, but was interrupted by the sudden and silent arrival of their food, the towering elezen appearing again as though he'd always been there, artfully sweeping in and placing both meals in front of them.

D'hein was not paused by the arrival of the food, entirely ignoring the waiter and just pulling his food in front of himself. At Antimony's pause, he went on, "Not that it's that large a problem in Ul'dah, long as you know where not to go at what time of day. Especially if you're in the crowd I"m in."

"That's not all that different from Limsa. There are places I wouldn't dare go alone at night here," Antimony finally said, looking down at her plate. Her nose picked up the sharp scent of pepper and something else she couldn't identify, coupled with the fresh smell of steamed greens, which the chef had arranged in an artistically neat pile atop the fish.

D'hein nodded wordlessly and ripped into his fish with knife and fork. He let the first bite sit in his mouth for almost a full minute, deeply pondering its taste.

"Coastal greens," Antimony said aloud, mostly to herself. "I wonder what that means. I've never thought of shore grass as a food..." She took up her fork then, sifted through the small pile of greens, and then took a bite of the fish. It came apart light and flaky, and she hummed in appreciation.

"Think they mean kelp or something." He was poking around in the meat of his fish, "I don't see any sign of bait or anything."

Antimony bit down on a chuckle as she swallowed. "I don't think you've anything to worry about in that regard, really. These people are professionals."

"Well, yes," he sounded unconvinced, "But professionals do crazy things at times."

"It's fine," she attempted to reassure again. "They had to clean the fish anyway before they prepared it. If there was anything wrong with it, they'd find it and fix it - or throw it out, I suppose."

"Oh, I've no doubt. I'm just, I guess, afraid of finding a second fish in here. Maybe a small white-meated fish. That would be an interesting surprise in my red-meat fish. Someone should try it. Just not on me."

Her brow wrinkled in vague confusion. "Why would... well, I suppose if the chef was feeling experimental." Shaking her head, Antimony took another bite of her own meal and sighed slightly, tail swishing broadly in pleasure, enough so that it whacked up against one leg of D'hein's chair. Embarrassed by the accidental gesture, she added quickly, "Do you not like white fish?"

"Oh, no, I like white fish just fine." He was speaking while eating at this point, but not with his mouth full. Never that! "I just like to keep my white fish and my red fish separate. And today I'm eating red fish."

Of course. Antimony nodded and continued to eat, nostrils flaring with each bite to take in the myriad scents that came along with it.

The tip of a floating green wizard hat was moving between the tables of the Bismark. A small finger poked the leg of a waitress, who looked down. Her lack of surprise indicated that the hat was, most likely, not floating after all. The waitress pointed towards the table where Antimony and D'hein where having dinner. Then, she shook a finger to the hat. Probably a warning about spooking the clients. In turn, the hat nodded and gave her a jar of olives before moving towards them.

After a few minutes of chowing down, Antimony looked up and out across the balcony, the white stone lit by a few lanterns that gave off enough light to see by but didn't interfere with the panorama of stars beyond. Swallowing a lingering bite, Antimony spoke, "How often do you travel to Limsa, by the way? I'm curious as to who I'll be reporting to. Or... if I'll get sent out as I used to, to other locations?"

"Oh, you'll probably make your way around. I move around as I need to. Every few weeks I'll be by Limsa." His attention is still primarily on his fish, though he occasionally takes a break to drink some milk.

The hat moved out of the tables to expose itself. Or rather, herself. Ulanan was carrying a book the size of her torso, a jar of olives resting on top like it was a serving trail. She walked to the table, raised on the tip of her toes and looked at Antimony's food. "That needs olives" she declared.

Another nod, and a few more bites of fish and greens, and then, "I'm not sure I should return to Gri--" her words cut off abruptly, however, when a small, round, be-hatted face pushed into view to her left and announced a distinct lack of olives. Such was her surprise that she recoiled from the table, dropping her fork and nearly spilling her milk. "Wh--what--Ulanan??"

In response to Antimony's recoil, D'hein leapt to his feet so quickly and suddenly that his chair was sent flying and his milk flew to the ground! In his hand, the knife like a dagger, as he put himself between Antimony and Ulanan and proclaimed: "So you've finally shown yourself! I knew this day would come, but you won't have her!"

"Uhm." Antimony blinked very rapidly, made a small noise, and then, upon seeing D'hein brandishing the knife, "That's... really not necessary!"

The lalafell followed the trajectory of the fork with her eyes. D'heins leg quickly blocked her view, prompting Ulanan to look up at him with a smile. "I am as harmless as a helpless hat." She lifted her book, the jar tingling with the movement. "Olives?"

Blinking down at the Lalafel for a moment, he seemed suddenly disappointed, "Oh." And lowered the knife. "No, thank you. Are you finally Ulanan?

"Yes," Antimony said with deep relief as the knife dropped. "That is Ulanan."

Ulanan dropped the book back to its previous height. She blinked at D'hein. "Am I famous?"

"Yes," he stated simply, and walked back to his chair in a very sad state. Collapsing into limp-limbed, he looked searchingly for a moment, he finally saw that his milk had fallen to the ground and in a sudden fit of frustration, threw his knife over the side of the balcony and into the sea, bellowing, "Ah, Twelve-cursed luck!"

Antimony flinched at the violent outburst, eyeing D'hein sideways. "I'm sure they can bring you another," she attempted and then looked to Ulanan, confusion written on her features.

Ulanan was looking at D'hein with her body turned towards Antimony. “Allow me to apologize and atone with amends for the astray ale.” She blinked once. "Or milk." She then turned quickly to Antimony, raising the book and the jar on top of it. "Olives?"

Grey brows knit together, the light wrinkles in her face deepening. "Ulanan... what are you doing here?"

Muttering under his breath, D'hein stood again as concerned or frustrated waitstaff came over to see about the commotion and clean up. His ears lain flat against his head and his tail shivering in frustration, he assuaged concerns and tipped a few people.

Ulanan kept the book, and therefore, the jar of olives, raised. "I was wound with wanton worry about your welfare." She then added: "It was not my intention to intimidate you with my inevitable interest and inefficient entrance."

"You were..." She blinked and then her ears drooped. "Oh. Oh! I'm sorry, I should have informed you I'd be unavailable this evening. I didn't intend for you to worry." Pursing her lips, she cast a look towards D'hein and watched his distressed gestures with a sudden anxiety.

"Well. No honest harm done," D'hein said, as he turned back to Antimony, "I'm having us moved to another table so they can clean this one. No problem." His mood is still agitated, however.

Antimony stood at that, expression still worried. The fur along her tail was still a little puffed out from surprise, and it hung stiffly behind her as she straightened. "I'm terribly sorry," she said, turning fully to D'hein. "I was simply surprised, but I shouldn't have reacted the way I did, and it's made an awful mess of things now."

Ulanan's eyes drifted across the very well decorated table. Her head turned and looked at the other tables of the Bismark. "It's my fault."

"What?" She spun back around to Ulanan. "No, no no, it's certainly not. I should've thought to tell you I'd be out, but I didn't and I never thought you'd worry, but you did and you shouldn't feel at fault for worrying, not once, as it was me that caused you worry and all over a simple dinner and here I thought I'd finally manage to make a good impression but then I go and overreact when all you did was offer me olives and--!"

Ulanan nodded, raising the jar a bit over her hat wing, her face hidden under it and the book. "You should take one before you choke on your own words." she said.

"Your friend's right, Antimony," D'hein said, relaxing with obvious but sincere effort and saying smoothly, "But instead of an olive, how about something sweet, hm? Finish you fish and I'll get us some dessert. Your friend too, if it helps."

Antimony forcibly closed her mouth, letting out a long, slow breath through her nose. The fur on her tail gradually smoothed out, though it and her ears still hung lower than usual. "Very well. I mean, I wouldn't want to impose - I know this was to be a business dinner, and you may not have an additional guest budgeted? I can pay for anything Ulanan may want. Ah, that is, if she wants to stay." A blink. "And if it's alright with you."

Glaring at the table decorations, Ulanan looked unconvinced at one of Antimony's words. "It would be unpolite of me to intrude."

Antimony watched Ulanan and D'hein alternately, worried expression locked into place.

With an exasperated sigh, D'hein let his arms hang limp and leaned backwards, saying with some begrudged amusement, "Listen, can we please stop making such a big deal of everything? Let me just buy a few desserts and we'll call it a night."

Chewing on her lower lip briefly, Antimony nodded after a pause, opened her mouth as though to speak again, and then very deliberately forced it shut.

Ulanan looked between the two Miqo'te before setting on D'hein, eyes closed and smiling. "Desserts! How nice of you! I'm sure this won't prompt me to stealthly drop more often during your dinners."

Antimony kept silent, unsure if she opened her mouth again if she could control herself, and clasped her hands in front of her waist.

For a moment, D'hein really didn't know what to make of Ulanan. He just looked at her for several moments as though trying to decide whether or not she she really existed, then he gestured for them to follow and led the way to their new table, where he requested an additional chair.

RE: Third Time is Not the Charm [story, ooc welcome] - Naunet - 08-21-2013

Ulanan set the book and the jar on top of the table, on her side, and waited patiently for the chair to be brought over before climbing to it.

Antimony moved after D'hein, tail dragging low, and sat after a moment at their new table. "I really am s--" She caught herself and sighed in frustration. "Right. Desserts."

Casting Antimony a knowing smile, he said, "Every time you apologize to me for the rest of the night I'll buy you another small dessert and then force you to eat it."

Antimony cringed at that and seemingly reflexively, "Apologies, I don't-- ah! No, I'll burst!" She looked a bit helplessly towards Ulanan.

"Do not portray such a petrifying picture."

This drew a laugh from D'hein as he dropped into his seat and went searching for the menu, flipping it to deserts and offering it to Ulanan, "Here, choose what you want and then let Antimony see it."

She took the menu and glanced over it for a moment. She pointed at something in it, leaning towards the other woman so she could see: pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Antimony flashed a small smile at Ulanan, "I'm sure it's delicious." Her head tilted slightly as she scanned the menu herself.

Waiting patiently with his hands knit in front of him, D'hein smiles and whips his tail around.

"Ahah," Antimony nodded to herself, apparently having made a decision, and then looked to the side at D'hein. "What about you?"

"Oh, I know what I want. Are we ready?"

"That sounded ominous," Ulanan nodded.

Again Antimony nodded and then stilled herself, feeling rather like a bobblehead, and simply declared, "There is a pudding, made with butterscotch and nutmeg. I will try it."

"Excellent!" And then, waving down a waiter, he declared, "We'll have pumpkin pie with whipped cream, one of those butterscotch nutmeg pudding things, and three glasses of chocolate milk." Antimony's brows lifted at D'hein's own order.

"Ah, a man of milk. Must be a modest, meticulous man."

"Milk is healthy. All a man needs is milk and love! And other stuff." He nodded, turned back to the table, smug expression on his face. It dropped within moments, though, and he looked over at Ulanan, "You're much-discussed, I'll have you know. But can you really live up to all the legends I've heard?"

Antimony's ears laid out flat, splaying out from either side of her head. "I haven't told legends."

Ulanan's expression was neutral, but she shifted in her seat. "Aw!" she exclaimed at Antimony, faking disappointment. "I'd like to be labelled with a legacy of legends." She tilted her head to D'hein. "What did you hear?"

"Ah! It's quite fantastic!" He then fell silent and thought for some time.

Antimony bit her lip, smoothed down wrinkles in the lap of her robe, and looked between Ulanan and D'hein. "Well, we met in Gridania," she offered hopefully helpfully. "Not... terribly exciting, I'm sorry."

"I also carry olives. I don't think they mix well with our current desserts, though."

"Ah, yes!" He nodded, "I'd heard that you met in Gridania, and came with her all the way here. Legendary friendship!" He looked around as if he expected the desserts already.

"I did appreciate Ulanan's presence very much," Antimony said with a touch of solemnity and a firm nod, looking to the lalafell.

Ulanan smiled. "It was an interesting journey."

"It was a legendary journey," observed D'hein, passively, "Or so the legends say." Turning back to the table, he looked over towards Ulanan, "I'd love to hear about the tale told by its very protagonist."

"Legends! Who is saying these legends? I never said anything about legends," Antimony sighed, but wove her fingers together in her lap and watched Ulanan.

"I'm afraid it only involved lots and lots of walking and useless chocobos."

"And Megiddo was pleasant company, for the most part," Antimony added with a faint chuckle. "Moreso than the chocobos, at least."

D'hein's ears fell back on his head, and he gave Antimony a very straight look, "Hm? Who now? No doubt this M'Gido is some jealous Nunh, hm?"

She gave D'hein a baffled look. "Why do you always assume a... jealous Nunh...?" She shook her head.

"He's an old elezen hermit." She raised one hand to cover her mouth while chuckling. "Was I a jealous Nunh, too? Is that why you pointed at me with a dinner knife?"

"Supposedly," Antimony nodded at Ulanan. "But no, Megiddo was not... either of those things, jealous or a Nunh. He was very helpful though. Took me all the way to Gridania."

Crossing his arms and looking affronted, D'hein remarked, "Jealous Nunhs... Let's just say it's come up!... Anyway, sounds like you've got a pile of great friends."

"Oh, I don't know if I... is two a pile...?"

"I could stand on his shoulders. Then we would be a pile."

Gesturing to Ulanan, D'hein remarked, "You see. It counts."

Their desserts arrived around this time, the same waiter from before - the overly tall elezen - slipping the pie, pudding, and three glasses of chocolate milk into place so smoothly as to hardly be noticed. Antimony offered him a smile and thanks and then, "Well, I suppose if you're going to speak in literal terms..."

"If we can use literal terms to poke holes in some colloquialisms, we can use them to support others." He took hold of his glass of milk, eyeing it with a smile, "Sorry. I get grumpy when there's no milk around."

Ulanan reached to her own glass, holding it with both hands and drank from it. "I didn't know milk had such soothing qualities."

Ducking her head, Antimony took a spoonful of her pudding, and her ears perked up a bit at the sharp scent and accompanying rich taste. "I would object to turning my words around on me, but... ah, I suppose that's fair."

D'hein was quiet, smiling and chuckling at the taste of his milk.

Ulanan decided to take a slice of the pumpkin pie, raising a brow at D'hein's weird chuckling. "You sure like milk."

"Well of course I do! It's... probably the best thing in the world. At least when it's well-kept and preserved, but that's true for anything worth having."

Antimony kept to herself for a few minutes, focusing on the dessert and not making a fool of herself, until her head shot up along with her ears, and her tail whipped behind her in realization. "Oh! Oh no, I'm so sorry, I... Ulanan, I completely forgot to introduce you to... well!" And she gestured to D'hein, spoon still in hand, "Ulanan, this is one of my future employers with the Commerce Regulation Agency, D'hein... ah, D'hein..." She trailed off and blinked, then turned to look at the miqo'te curiously

"Yes, I know, the legendary Ulanan."

Her brow furrowed. "No, I... ah, I've realized I'm not entirely sure how to refer to you." Her ears twitched a bit uncomfortably.

"Pleased to meet you. The desserts had no involvement in that pleasure" Ulanan said, smiling and chomping a piece of pie.

"Likewise, legendary Lalafel. Haha!" His ears swiveled in a curious bundle of motions before simply directing themselves to either side as he turned to Antimony and said, "Perhaps I choose to forego my regulatory title the same way you choose to forego your Miqo'te name. Does it really matter if I'm Nunh or Tia?"

Antimony leaned back slightly. "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant nothing by it, only... well, no." She smiled then and shook her head. "No, it doesn't matter."

"Of course it matters or you wouldn't ask." He frowned rather deeply, but founds his chocolate milk to chase it away.

"And you asked about my name," Antimony countered.

At that, D'hein practically bit, "You chose your name. It means something."

At that, Antimony looked down and away with a frown. "... It doesn't matter. Whether you're a Nunh or Tia, or what my name is. I am sorry; I won't ask again."

Ulanan remained oblivious to all. Or at least, she pretended. Maybe the pumpkin pie and the cream on it were just too good.

Looking frustrated, D'hein took refuge in his milk. But it did not sate him this time, for he had run out of it.

After a pause, Antimony sighed and glanced down at her mostly-eaten dessert. "Perhaps it's gotten late enough," she ventured carefully.

Nodding once, "If that's how you feel, then, farbeit from me to disagree." He pulled out his bag of gil and began to count out payment, found himself unsure of how much he owed, so just huffed in exasperation, tossed more than was obviously necessary on the table, and stood roughly, "They can just keep the rest as tip. Or you can take it. I don't care. Good night."

Ulanan said simply "Good night.", finishing her pie slice in two bites.

For several seconds, Antimony froze, startled and then anxious by the suddenness, before hastily collecting herself and nodding towards D'hein. "Thank you for the meal," she adds and bows her head before glancing to Ulanan, inner tension only slightly visible in her eyes. "We should walk together, what with it having gotten dark."

Not bothering to look behind him, ears flat against his thick hair, D'hein made his way out of the restaurant, tail whipping about and whacking things the whole way.

Ulanan jumped down her chair, making sure to pick up the book and the jar of olives she had left on the table previously. "He looks like a good fella."

As soon as D'hein had walked away, Antimony practically crumpled and turned to the lalafell, "Oh Ulanan, that was a mess! I'm positive he's going to return to his partner and... and I'll find myself out of a job by morning!"

"Did you tell them about the assasins?"

She cast a rather pitiful look Ulanan's way, harried and despondent. "Well... not explicitly, no."

"One would think that was a very important thing you would mention at some point."

Antimony blinked hard at Ulanan and then exclaimed, "What good will that do when they're bound to fire me! Three times, I've seen them three times now, and each one is just... horrible!"

Ulanan soothed her with a gentle pat to the leg. "I'm sure you weren't so horrible."

Her ears down-turned, tail brushing against the ground, Antimony frowned. "You didn't see... Ildur Vaernian showed up on my doorstep and I'd been... well, I'd been lighting candles. Dozens of them! Enough to burn my home down, and I don't know why, and I just couldn't stop talking." She looked distressed. "And then when I took the contract to them, I made a horrid mess, knocked right into D'hein and spilled his milk all over the floor - and I don't think they were happy with the changes I'd made to the contract, either. And now tonight...!"

"Stop." Ulanan interrupted the Miqo'te by walking in front of her and raising both hands, looking up and frowning. "Calm down. Anyone would be a mess if their employers died mysteriously after assassins attacked you. Twice. Calm down and..." She raised the jar of olives, "Have an olive!"

Antimony turned her head so she was looking sideways at Ulanan and felt rather young in that moment - certainly not the nearing-50 of reality. She held out one hand to accept an olive and sighed. "... You're right. I'm sorry. Perhaps... Perhaps I should seek to apologize tomorrow." A pause. "Though that may make things worse."

"No. Just wait to see what they do. You can apologize after they have hired you."

Antimony sighed, and then chuckled lowly before pushing herself wearily to her feet. "Of course, you're right." She looked down at Ulanan and smiled. "Thank you. We should be going, though. I'll walk you back to your hotel."

Ulanan moved out of Antimony's way. "You're the one with assassin-aches. I'll walk -you- back to your home." She gestured onwards. "And we can talk about why you keep so many candles there."

"For reading, of course," Antimony stated matter-of-factly, though only after a reluctant pause. She moved to walk alongside Ulanan as the pair exited the Bismark into the open night air.