Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated (/showthread.php?tid=3827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - denizenx - 08-21-2013

I had a question for those familiar with transfers and the like. A friend and I wanted to make characters on either Gilgamesh or Balmung but by the time we started the Open Beta the servers were already full. We waited around for an hour or so just trying to see if we can get in but SE had already made a post on their twitter opening new servers and closing off the populated ones.

It came to a point that only the two new servers they opened were the only servers accepting new characters. I know it only got this bad because of the open beta and the herd would be thinned come early access and launch time.

My question is how would we get our characters to Balmung or Gilgamesh? Will transfers be something allowed from the very start? I remember GW2 having something similar like that in the early launch phase. It allowed you to migrate your character. Or are the transfers going to happen much later? We put in some time on leveling up to help us get started in the early access but I was just curious.

I would not mind starting a brand new character on either of the RP servers but if they are going to stay locked then what can fellow RPers who are in the same boat as us do? Any insight, links or help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Asyria - 08-21-2013

Only thing I know for sure is transfers from Legacy servers will take some time (but that doesn't concern you).

Also, I doubt transfers will be free. Only time I've ever seen free server transfers was to let people from an overpopulated server go to new ones, not the other way around.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Naunet - 08-22-2013

(08-21-2013, 11:53 PM)Asyria Wrote: Also, I doubt transfers will be free. Only time I've ever seen free server transfers was to let people from an overpopulated server go to new ones, not the other way around.

While I also doubt server transfers will be free, it's not unheard of in MMOs to have free transfers. Rift has always done it that way: you get one free server transfer per week per character.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Qhora Bajihri - 08-22-2013

Yeah, there's nothing confirmed of that ilk yet. Maybe they don't think 3 days of time (subtracting bug lockouts) is worth offering transfers for? I would, but... yeah.

I know I spent about 24 hours on a JP server during the 3102 error and wouldn't mind hopping that character over to Balmung, but I pretty much accepted when I started her that the time I spent on her was going to be dropped into the void with all the previous beta time -- enjoyed, but not contributing to future play.

If I hear of anything like free transfers, I'll definitely drop it in here, though. For now, you're probably best off just starting again from scratch.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Averis - 08-22-2013

They mentioned this in a recent Live Letter.

"Fee based world transfer service confirmed (available 2-3 weeks from launch)"

This most likely excludes Legacy characters. Last I heard on those it might be several months.

Oops. Accidental double post and I don't seem to be able to delete. How embarassing~

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Asyria - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 12:02 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:53 PM)Asyria Wrote: Also, I doubt transfers will be free. Only time I've ever seen free server transfers was to let people from an overpopulated server go to new ones, not the other way around.

While I also doubt server transfers will be free, it's not unheard of in MMOs to have free transfers. Rift has always done it that way: you get one free server transfer per week per character.

Ooohhhh you're right.. they didn't always allow transfers but the moment they did, it was free once a week, yes!

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Cato - 08-22-2013

I'm unlikely to begin role-playing immediately so I don't mind too much if I end up having to temporarily lurk on another server until Balmung opens up a bit. I intend to be there as soon as the early access period starts so I may end up getting lucky.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Xenedra - 08-22-2013

When 1.0 started up, I actually had to wait 3 days before Besaid (old Balmung) opened up, but it DID reopen eventually after the servers settled. It's just sort of a thing MMOs do, y'know? If you can stand the wait, I'd suggest giving it a couple days, maybe just making your characters on another server and getting some RP in. Hopefully the server you want will be open during early access/launch though. Good luck! :)

(08-22-2013, 12:26 AM)Asyria Wrote: Ooohhhh you're right.. they didn't always allow transfers but the moment they did, it was free once a week, yes!

TERA had free transfers once every 30 days (I think, on timing?) for a long time. People used to use it to make money off of other servers' economies. They only recently went to paid transfers. But I try not to hold F2P standards to P2P games, heh.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - denizenx - 08-22-2013

Thank you all for posting information. I saw quite a few views but no bites for awhile. While I do want to transfer my character over I really just want to get on Balmung or Gilgamesh because I have been reading some of the posts for events on the site and I am really impressed with the effort everyone is pouring in to make strong RP communities within the game.

I can only hope the servers will be open for new characters after I get home from work Saturday afternoon! If anyone hears anything else feel free to post it here.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Jules - 08-22-2013

Will be watching this thread with interest as well, please do keep it updated with info~

Me and my partner had planned on rolling on Balmung. Would be quite dissapointing to find that we can't.

I know exactly what you mean. My friend and I got the short end of the stick trying to get in on either of the unofficial RP servers. I will be trying to get in early Saturday morning hoping we can sneak in and create our characters before heading out to work for the day.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Aleister - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 06:01 PM)denizenx Wrote: I know exactly what you mean. My friend and I got the short end of the stick trying to get in on either of the unofficial RP servers. I will be trying to get in early Saturday morning hoping we can sneak in and create our characters before heading out to work for the day.
Wake up like 10 minutes before the servers open if you can. Some of us did that to ensure we get a spot.
As well I did read SE will being locking and unlocking servers until launch if they see a flooding of characters coming into one server.

Ugh. I might be able to pull it off though I have a morning shift on Saturday. I am not sure my friend could. I can try to convince them. The servers are going to be up 2am PDT, right? Meaning 4am central??