Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? (/showthread.php?tid=4083)

Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Seloria - 08-28-2013

The above title is a joke. Originally I had a sophisticated set up, then remembered...everyone likes height jokes! Except maybe the Lalafell.

Searching on the forums, I haven't come across much to do with the shortest human like species in Eorzea, which is the entire reason for this attractive and highly sought after post.

Where do the Lalafell live? Certainly, all races have migrated and there's not the same concentration and emphasis that eleven had with home states, however...I don't remember any mentioned areas exclusive to them.

Do names differ with the clan? I feel terribly lazy for not searching myself...

Would any Lalafell players, preferably those of backwater village origin, care to speak up? At the moment, I have oodles of Miq'ote tidbits and scraps of Highlander. In the basement...he got eaten by the giant mutant rats fed on aether irradiated rubbish.

On that ooze filled note...time to feed them. Anyone for rat burgers?

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Uther - 08-28-2013

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61151-Lalafell-Naming-Conventions Naming conventions for lalafell. Also, while everyone is sort of everywhere, Plainsfolk tend to farm in La Noscea, while Dunesfolk are the economic foundation of Ul'dah and the founders of the city-state.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Seloria - 08-28-2013

This does help. Naming is not my forte when it comes to surnames.

My next query is on the age cycle. Do they live longer than the Hyur? Short people always do. We don't have to duck.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Boo - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 02:31 PM)Seloria Wrote: This does help. Naming is not my forte when it comes to surnames.

My next query is on the age cycle. Do they live longer than the Hyur? Short people always do. We don't have to duck.
I'm not sure how long they live, but I'm pretty sure that they always look young until they get very old.

As for where they lived I'm pretty sure their IG bio covers that for both races.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Uther - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 02:31 PM)Seloria Wrote: My next query is on the age cycle. Do they live longer than the Hyur? Short people always do. We don't have to duck.

They live a very long time. Physically they stop aging at around 20 I believe, and there are lalafell NPCs who are still active at well over 100. Oldest I've heard of was around 130(?) and was still very active.

Hundred and looks twenty? They scheme to outlive us all!
That brings an interesting aspect to the Lalafell outlook, and large families. Depending on the fertility rate...

I won't drone on about my biography. Partly as it is brief and not complete.

Go for the eyes, Boo!

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - shotgunbadger - 08-28-2013

Yea going by NPCs Lalas have a good century and a half in their active lives, and who knows how much in the elderly stage.

They do indeed tend to stop aging around 20, but at a certain point some of them seem to get quite old looking quite fast, which always lead ME to believe (pure head-lore here) that vanity is a factor in a lot of Lalafell's and appearing youthful is a big thing.

Also it should be noted for Plainsfolk, while indeed they have a large amount in the...well...plains...the city of Limsa Lominsa has a good deal of Plainsfolk making up their navy so it's very much not unheard of a Lalafell to be a seaman type.

My Lalafell is actually a 'backwater' Plainsfolk type, she grew up on a small farm but when she found an aptitude for magic she basically used that as her excuse to get the hell off the farm and see the world. It seems there are a few NPCs kinda like that too, so maybe the urge for travel is a common one?

When your life consists of hefting bundles of hay and milking cows, there's not a large scope for social things. Urge to travel is what defines us, the adventurers.

Did you have a name for your tiny community?

On the ageing mystery, it'd be easier if Lalafell were denoted as attuned to the arts. Magic cosmetic surgery, all the rage.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Atrius - 08-28-2013

Is it considered a RP faux pas to not follow the Lalafell naming conventions?

The lack of a long I and the AC-BC notation makes it difficult to come up with names I am envisioning for my current character. I had a name, but it doesn't fit. I have come up with another form that fits, but seems a bit dry.

Curious.

(08-28-2013, 05:54 PM)Atrius Wrote: Is it considered a RP faux pas to not follow the Lalafell naming conventions?

The lack of a long I and the AC-BC notation makes it difficult to come up with names I am envisioning for my current character. I had a name, but it doesn't fit. I have come up with another form that fits, but seems a bit dry.

Curious.
My opinion would be lore wise the races mingle enough to drum up a story bypassing the usual Lalafell store of names. Hyur influence, city dwellers aiming to shed rural ties.

List goes on.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Ildur - 08-29-2013

There's no harm in not following naming conventions. However, note that if your character will not have a conventional name, you must be ready to justify why. You don't need it to be complex, convoluted or even to be interesting as long as it makes sense. It can be something as simple as that your lalafell's parents naming their son/daughter in honor of some friend who was not a lala himself; or something more complex like coming from a family of wannabe aristocrats that has shunned the race's traditions to differentiate theirselves from the rest.

RE: Lalafell communities, did I just step on one? - Atrius - 08-30-2013

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking about using the name that is closer to the convention as his given name, but will have a reason why he chooses not to use his given name. Though his given name will work well when defining his family and his background as he would not adopt his chosen name until later in life.

This is my first time roleplaying in a FF universe so it's going to take time to get accustomed to the depth we've got to work with.

I appreciate everyone's helpfulness.