Hydaelyn Role-Players
A most frustrating moment. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A most frustrating moment. (/showthread.php?tid=4248)

A most frustrating moment. - Boo - 09-03-2013

I had been writing for about a day now a journal like thread in the Town Square section when my computer suddenly shut down. I noticed the battery wasn't actually plugged in.

I lost all my work, is there a way to get it back, dear RPers? ;_;.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-03-2013

If you where writing it straight into a post in the forums then I think sadly the work is lost.

If you'd been using something like MS Word that every few minutes automatically saves work you would be able to get back most of it.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - Boo - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 04:51 PM)Taeh Marchand Wrote: If you where writing it straight into a post in the forums then I think sadly the work is lost.
Dammit, all of the work, I don't even feel like doing it over again .___.. I was pretty far in it and nearly concluded the first journal entry...

RE: A most frustrating moment. - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-03-2013

There is always a risk in writing a long post on forums that a problem causes you to lose everything; browser crash, computer hangs, etc...

I'd always recommend writing it in something else first, even Notepad, and saving regularly. Once the text is finished then copy and paste it into a forum post in one quick go.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-03-2013

*hugs* Nah, you'll be okay, dear. The only way that I imagine it would've been saved is if you accidentally got off the page for a moment. If the laptop totally powered down, I also think it might be gone.

Just take a little bit and throw yourself at it again. You did it once already, it'll come to you.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - lady2beetle - 09-03-2013

Soooo frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I've done something similar.

My suggestion is to walk away and let it rest for a bit. When you come back, see if you can write it differently. If you don't want to write it again, try writing a shorter version, then move on to other stuff. And I'm really sorry. Sad I've totally been there.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - Boo - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 05:10 PM)lady2beetle Wrote: Soooo frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I've done something similar.

My suggestion is to walk away and let it rest for a bit. When you come back, see if you can write it differently. If you don't want to write it again, try writing a shorter version, then move on to other stuff. And I'm really sorry. Sad I've totally been there.
I'll do that. I wanted to finish it before going to bed so that most people in other timezones would be there to read it but I guess I'll have to rest before. I'll just try again tomorrow. Sleeping sounds like the best idea ever right now.

RE: A most frustrating moment. - LilMomoshi - 09-03-2013

Google drive saves as you add or subtract from your work. Ever since I lost 127 pages of Warcraft short stories to the death of a computer, I've sworn by it.