Hydaelyn Role-Players
Being Who We Are - Korwyn Aveltas - I [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Being Who We Are - Korwyn Aveltas - I [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=432)

Being Who We Are - Korwyn Aveltas - I [Closed] - Korwyn - 08-22-2010

OOC: My plan is to expand on this several times leading up to the release of FFXIV, so I've decided to simply reply to this thread with the new 'instalment' when necessary. Mods/Admins: If this is unacceptable (i.e you would rather I post a new thread entirely), please do let me know. Thanks.

The aim of this entire thing is to not only introduce Korwyn as a person, but also celebrate the end of an era (FFXI) and the beginning of a new one (FFXIV). My attempt at trying to coil these ideas together might not tickle the fancy of some RPers here as I've been told, but I hope there is at least something you can find that will put a smile on your face while we all wait eagerly for our chance to roam Eorzea.

-#-

Hydaelyn.
I was certain it was not a word that meant anything to me. Frankly, I had no idea what it meant to begin with. Yet, wakeful as I was as it whispered continually in my ear, the more I heard the word the more it felt familiar to me.
Hydaelyn.
I almost knew what it was. The feelings I had continued to stir within me, jostling about inside the cage of my chest as I struggled to remember. It was like remembering a person's face but forgetting what his name was. I sulked with defeat, unsatisfied with my performance.

Hydaelyn

"Oh shut up already," I scowled aimlessly at the whispering voice. Ambiguity was a trifling customer, and I had no intention of humouring it. I attempted--foolishly--to locate the owner of the voice, but when my eyes were met with a spaceless white so potent that I wasn't even sure if they were moving at all, I realized my efforts were all but useless.

It was then that I felt the ground beneath my feet begin to disappear, the only sensation left that could determine my orientation. Was I standing now? Lying down? Upside down? The weight of my tunic continued to press against my skin the way it usually did, leading me to persist that I was still standing straight, but the empty floor below me could never make me too sure. I tried to push aside that dilemma for the moment.

30:23:55:00

"Great, that makes even more sense, thanks," I grumbled indelicately to myself. I wished this person would at least acknowledge that I'm here trying to communicate. Anything would've been fine.

The numbers splayed themselves above me--at least I concluded as much when I found myself tilting my head upwards in order to see them. It was a countdown of sorts. A countdown to what I had yet to figure out, but a feeling inside me told me it was important. After a few minutes passed by, I found myself becoming fixated on the bright red numerics. It was the only indicator I had left to confirm for myself that time was indeed progressing; my entrapment robbed me of everything else. The timer soon seemed like a present. I let out a laugh. Perhaps the voice heard me after all.

Korwyn, right?

"I knew you'd warm up to me eventually," I replied with a cheeky grin. "And may I ask who I'm speaking to?"

There came no answer. A frown crossed my face. Had my smugness scared it off? "Don't be like that. I'm actually quite interested! Your voice sounds utterly familiar."

There was a small pause.

If you have to ask such a question, then you're not yet ready for the answer.

"Wow," I said dryly. I should've expected something like that. I rolled my eyes at the cliched response. Well, it was obvious that my mysterious voyeur was prepared to take its time with me, so I took a moment to make myself comfortable. Throwing reservation out the window, I fearlessly threw my arms behind my head before going into a free-fall, my back leading the way down. As expected, there was no impact; no collision; just a perpetual feeling of falling and a crimson countdown timer glaring directly above me. I was ready for the long haul.

"So what's the countdown for?" I thought to change the subject.

There was silence.

"I can't ask about that either, huh."

There is no purpose in an answer you can't understand.

"So it's a matter of capacity, is it?" I rephrased the problem.

In a manner of speaking, yes.

"So in essence, you will only provide me an answer if you conclude I am capable of being able to comprehend its nature."

That is correct.

"Alright then," I answered. I had a boat load of questions to begin with. There was bound to be at least one question he could answer. I would simply have to work my way up from there. "Am I dreaming?"

No.

"Am I under a spell? A Tarutaru prank, perhaps?"

Not at all.

"Am I dead?"

No.

"Am I alive?"

There came no response.

My eyes lifted then. I was suddenly very intrigued.

How very quaint.