Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction (/showthread.php?tid=4396)

[Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Felix Sideris - 09-08-2013

Welcome

OOC Introduction/Information:

This is a story written and developed by Remnance(Character: Clouse Sydonis) and Felix Sideris(Character: Felix Sideris). The idea we have was to provide a background history for Fortune Telling in Eorzea since there is little to no lore about it, and the telling or reading of fortunes would be done through a special kind of leveplates, similar to Tarot Cards.

This thread is to serve as a foundation for introducing the role play to the community. We've spent a good amount of time working, revising and re-writing our stories and ideas so they complied with lore and were as believable as possible. Remnance and I both hope that you, the community, enjoy the ideas we have to share.

We accept with open arms anyone desiring to join in on this kind of role play, or anyone desiring to be taught about it either ICly or OOCly. All you have to do is contact either Remnance or myself via Private Message on these forums, or mail/tell our characters online. We would be glad to help or answer any questions.

A note to those desiring to join:

Remnance and I politely ask anyone desiring to join this role play to ask permission first, and after asking us we can provide the greater details needed to do this kind of role play. We are keeping a fair amount of it to ourselves for sake of preservation of our original idea. Thank you.

The Fate Seekers

Here I will provide a complete list of players who are involved with this role play. Only players on this list have been taught or joined through either Remnance(Clouse Sydonis) or Felix Sideris. You can use this list if you desire to contact one of the Fate Seekers to organize a role play or ask for a reading for your character. 

Note: Once this list reaches 10+ Players, it is acceptable that your character has heard about "Fate Seekers" or these fortune tellers with this specific style, maybe even their specific names. Until then, we can assume that their reputations are small or that things have not passed enough via word-of-mouth. Remnance and I will not be actively advertising our Fortune Telling role plays and will only offer it based upon situational cases.

List of Fate Seekers(Character names only):
  • Felix Sideris
  • Clouse Sydonis

The Background / History

Fortune telling has been around for many an era, and has been a tradition passed down by some followers of Nymeia. There was a form of fortune telling, however that was far deeper and different from the common methods. The original followers who practiced this deeper method were devote fanatics of the spinner of fate. They claimed that through strict worship and divine right they would be blessed and able to see into the future. Whether or not this came to pass has been lost in time, however, but the less fanatical adherents of this group pursued the same desire. Fueled by this desire to read the fate of others, and began to call themselves Fate Seekers. They created a deck of plates, called Faeleves, out of stained Atheryte crystals similar to guildleves. These nourished plates served as a medium for the Fate Seekers to see into the Aether where they believe Nymeia weaved the fate of all living things. The Fate Seekers believed that Nymeia played a less hands on role in the pursuit of this knowledge than the original fanatics. In fact, they rarely worshiped the Goddess, but rather thought that she would allow them to become fate readers simply because they desired to. The requirement to see into the Aether and read the weaving was believed to be not so much a blessing from the Goddess, but a state of being. That through meditation and wholesome living they could bring themselves in harmony with the Aether enough to read what the Faeleves were telling them. The Fate Seekers were condemned as heretics by a college of magi for trying to pursue divine knowledge and general society came to dislike the small group shortly afterwards. Eventually they each went their own ways and the practice was passed down as a mere tradition, usually from parent to child, and thus broke the chain of remaining a practice of the servants of Nymeia only. 

This art largely died out during the Sixth Umbral Era, as few had any time to practice the arts or go receive readings during times of war and hardship. With the war against the Garlean Empire and the Calamity that soon followed, the amount of people remaining with knowledge of this plummeted to almost nothing, and the practice was nearly lost. 

As of the Seventh Era, the practice has slowly begun to revive itself. Showing up in odd places around Eorzea, fueled by the desire and longing that some survivors of the Calamity have to know their place in the world. Fueled by fate and its desire to be known.

Summary / Closing

Summary:

Name of Practitioners: 

Fate Seekers

Medium of Fortune Reading:

Faeleves

Elements Involved:

- Fire
- Earth
- Water
- Air

Deities Involved:

- Nymeia, The Spinner

Closing:

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and we look forward to see the community's response. We are hoping that this is something that people would look forward to involving with there characters and stories. 

Thank you to the many people who have helped us refine this idea into what it is now, and all of those who helped with the lore filtering to make it meld well into Final Fantasy XIV's story. It is greatly appreciated.

We wish to preserve this role play as it currently is. As stated prior, we have withheld the core details needed to actually perform the readings the way we will be doing to avoid any corruption or possible impostors.

Lastly, I ask that this forum thread be kept clean. While I strongly encourage discussion about this role play, I ask that it be kept on topic and constructive. Feel free to post questions or thoughts about the role play in replies on this thread. We may provide answers to some questions via Private Message if the question is believed to be too revealing to the role play.

Again,

Thank you all and we really look forward to seeing the community's take on this. See you all in Eorzea!

RE: [Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Edgar Callant - 09-09-2013

When you brought this up at the Gala, the first thing I said to myself was "That is a pretty interesting and unique idea."

I would like to see this take off to see the possibilities it could open up.

Sad to say Edgar probably would never seek one out, but there are always alts if I get around to it that they could be more open to it. Also the readings could open up RP for anyone gets one to share with other people. Even if they RP with friends on "how have things been?"

RE: [Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Felix Sideris - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 12:54 PM)Edgar Callant Wrote: When you brought this up at the Gala, the first thing I said to myself was "That is a pretty interesting and unique idea."

I would like to see this take off to see the possibilities it could open up.

Sad to say Edgar probably would never seek one out, but there are always alts if I get around to it that they could be more open to it. Also the readings could open up RP for anyone gets one to share with other people. Even if they RP with friends on "how have things been?"
Glad to hear you like it! 

Our biggest hope is that the popularity of this grows and spreads via word of mouth. Just like you mentioned, people who get readings done could feel inclined to tell friends about it and such.

We will see what happens!

RE: [Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Martiallais - 09-09-2013

I like the sound of this! Cool idea and who knows, Zarek might get a reading done sometime just to say he did.

RE: [Fate Seekers] - Fortune Tellers of Eorzea Role Play Introduction - Kyatai - 09-10-2013

As a member of Clouse's guild, and having seen him perform a few readings, I can tell you, it's very cool.
Thumbsup