Hydaelyn Role-Players
Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Interracial Couples in FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=4486)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 01:20 PM)Lost River Wrote: Lost is totally not a pod baby out to destroy the world and steal underpants. 

I'm not sure about cross-breeding, but, interspecies romance? Quite fine, possible. And of course the attraction is and can be there.

D: SAME SPECIES ROMANCE! *tackles Lost River*

I think that even against biology when sentient thinking to the point of being able to communicate with other species and evolving to or past the equivalent point of modern humanity has happened, emotions and culture usurp scientific reasoning.

Just because something like biology exists doesn't mean that science as we know it does. I think Magitek is a blend of science and magic, more magic than anything because-- if magic existed for us the way it does in FF wouldn't we be trying to break it apart and understand it the way science does? 'The science of magic' seems like an oxymoron until you look at the definition of the word:

The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

If magic were part of our physical world, as it is in Eorzea and beyond, then it would probably become a science to us.

But it doesn't.

Gravity still exists.

That's aaaaall that counts.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Lost River - 09-13-2013

*laughs and is tackled* Well, apparently it's same species, same race, same gender romance for Lost. But Robocop 2 is tempting.

*smiles* And Gravity is a good spell... wait a second, does that mean the reason Hydalen has gravity is because a power mage is constantly using Gravity on the planet and when he/she dies, no more gravity?! OH NO!

As it goes, I think it's as said before, sentient curiosity and attraction is what brings cross-species relations. Enough that it is uncommon and not -rare-. but it isn't the full norm.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Dogberry - 09-13-2013

Given airship design and Lalafell jumping capabilities, I would say it's a safe bet that gravity doesn't exist, things just fall to the ground because everyone consensually agreed that it would be convenient for reality to be that way. I mean seriously, Lalafell jumping puts NBA slam competitions to shame.

(09-13-2013, 01:35 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Given airship design and Lalafell jumping capabilities, I would say it's a safe bet that gravity doesn't exist, things just fall to the ground because everyone consensually agreed that it would be convenient for reality to be that way. I mean seriously, Lalafell jumping puts NBA slam competitions to shame.

Maybe Lalas are like Roger from American Dad with super muscular legs?

I'd be afraid of a single mage was maintaining all gravity. What happens if someone comes in and pokes them in the eye? Everyone floats into space?!

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - S'demyx Tia - 09-13-2013

Category A: You, OOCLY

1. Well, IRL I'm into mostly feminine guys and stronger-typed women. So I guess Miqo'te boys & Roegadyn Female xD As strange as that sounds.

2. I say if you're into it, go for it. *shrugs* Don't know why it'd matter.

3. Maybe a little. But S'demyx doesn't need my influence to guide him. That perv...

Category B: Your character

1. The only race S'demyx isn't fond of are Keepers of the Moon. Beyond that, he doesn't seem to care the person's race. Of course, he's mostly into Miqo'te & Hyur. He's with a fellow Seeker now, but that doesn't mean he doesn't stop his roaming eyes on those Hyur boys. Big Grin

2. He finds it strange and taboo, but of course he loves things that are off-limits. As long as it's not with a Keeper? He thinks it's very intriguing.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Fystrael Abylstyrwyn - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 01:30 PM)Siobhain Wrote:
The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

I did this definition of science with my eldest for her homework last night. Why do 8 year-olds have reports again? >:

Category A: You, OOCLY

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.

Roes.  All Roes of any gender.  If they had tails, horns, and hair, I would drool uncontrollably, but green as a complexion is good enough for me!

What?  No, I did not shout, "For the Horde!"

Male and female Highlanders.  Mmmm, rugged.

Also, male Miqo'tes.  That was a surprise for my taste-buds.  All their animations have swag.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

I don't mind at all.  Everything is plausible, e.g. love without intercourse.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Nope.  If my Roe flirts, it's unconsciously.  If my Miqo'te flirts, it's ICly with other Miqo'te women.

Category B: Your character

1. Does your character seek friends or partners based predominantly on race?

Neither do.  They just wanna meet people.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

My Miqo'te would be curious, but not judgmental.  My Roe wouldn't really care.  I would say they're pretty much like me.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Martiallais - 09-13-2013

Category A
1) I -love- female Highlanders and female Roegadyn. The lore (what there is), the look (I <3 my curvy ladies), and the feel of them. It's definitely rubbed off on Zarek a bit I have to say. He tends to flirt with them pretty unashamedly. But no, all of the races really are aesthetically pleasing IMO.

2) I haven't come across any ingame (in rp anyway) just yet but I'm sure they're out there. I say if it works for them and their story, sure, why not. Go for it if it makes sense.

3) See above. I'd think it makes me more open but only in the way of teasing/play flirting to start a convo. Otherwise I'm fairly open period.

Category B
1) Nopes. Looks factor in but that's just like saying personality does. It's a thing.

2) Generally speaking with most things Zarek tends to take a laid back/almost apathetic approach. It doesn't bother him until well...it actually bothers him. He might give them a second longer glance or a double take (in the case of say...Lala/Roe) but otherwise, Zarek likes what he likes (and as I said, some of that is what I like).

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - FreelanceWizard - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 01:07 PM)Siobhain Wrote: So far as I know, there aren't any half Hyur half Miqo'te NPCs or any mention of cross-race products. There -is- mention of it in games where it exists. I think that sort of denotes that there probably isn't much in the way of interracial breeding (or at least successfully having children)-- I mean, anywhere they talk of breeding, biology will come into play. Unless they're having babies in pods or they're made of clay and brought to life.

There is actually a dev post on the old Lodestone forums (that I can't for the life of me find right now) that confirms that interracial breeding is possible, just very rare. That's why you don't see it in game. Certainly interclan breeding is possible (per the dev post providing possible explanations for F'lhaminn).

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Olofantur - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:11 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 01:07 PM)Siobhain Wrote: So far as I know, there aren't any half Hyur half Miqo'te NPCs or any mention of cross-race products. There -is- mention of it in games where it exists. I think that sort of denotes that there probably isn't much in the way of interracial breeding (or at least successfully having children)-- I mean, anywhere they talk of breeding, biology will come into play. Unless they're having babies in pods or they're made of clay and brought to life.

There is actually a dev post on the old Lodestone forums (that I can't for the life of me find right now) that confirms that interracial breeding is possible, just very rare. That's why you don't see it in game. Certainly interclan breeding is possible (per the dev post providing possible explanations for F'lhaminn).

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61222-F-lhaminn?p=980189&viewfull=1#post980189

here's the dev post about F'lhaminn, certainly an interesting character during 1.0

Oh ho! Thank you~

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Dogberry - 09-13-2013

Well, there you have it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be busy lobbying the city-states to teach my Lifestream Goo theory equally alongside the Fantasy Biology theory.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - IncubusManatee - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:21 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Well, there you have it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be busy lobbying the city-states to teach my Lifestream Goo theory equally alongside the Fantasy Biology theory.

Trademark that sh*t and make a T-shirt. You will become a Gil-ionaire.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Jove - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 12:32 PM)Siobhain Wrote: On the first point, while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.

This may be why there's so many female Miqo'te prostitutes, out of all the different races, their potential clients are far less likely to be of their own kind (male Miqo'te are rare, right?), which makes the chance of them getting pregnant pretty insignificant.

This is of course assuming there's no contraception in Eorzea, which I think may be likely from all the STD references...

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - FreelanceWizard - 09-13-2013

Haha! Found it!

Here's the dev post reference on interracial breeding, which confirms that it's rare and often difficult due to "cultural differences, etc." It's hard to find because it's from 2011, and so quite a ways back in Fernehalwes's post history.

EDIT: Just to be clear, then, it does happen, just rarely. We can surmise that "biological differences reducing pregnancy rates" falls into the dev's "etc." category, but that's purely speculative. Likewise is the remainder of this paragraph Smile, where I surmise that miqo'te prostitutes are common due to fetishization of their features combined with a sexually permissive culture. Miqo'te women needn't be exploited or stupid; they could just be doing it because it's easy money, and (especially in Ul'dah), money is power. But there's a whole 'nother thread discussing that...

(09-13-2013, 03:30 PM)Jove Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 12:32 PM)Siobhain Wrote: On the first point, while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.

This may be why there's so many female Miqo'te prostitutes, out of all the different races, their potential clients are far less likely to be of their own kind (male Miqo'te are rare, right?), which makes the chance of them getting pregnant pretty insignificant.

This is of course assuming there's no contraception in Eorzea, which I think may be likely from all the STD references...

Crotch rot... *shudder*

You make a very good point, Jove, as per usual. I enjoy your points. That does seem like it could play a small factor in those that -choose- that route.

And as long as they have lambs, they'll have contraceptives. >.<