Hydaelyn Role-Players
Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Another new face! :D (Balmung) (/showthread.php?tid=4649)

Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Arlas - 09-19-2013

Hey everyone! I just bought FFXIV a few days ago and so far I've had a blast with it. I'd like to start RPing eventually, so I figure I'd make a post here. :D I've been roleplaying for 6+ years and playing MMOs for about the same length of time, from WoW to GW2 to SWTOR to RIFT (the last of which I just started, actually, though I'm not on the RP server). Sadly after four or five years of WoW most of my friends have since quit I've just lost my enthusiasm for that game.

It's been ages since I've had a good RP group so I'm really excited to jump into FF lore! I have never actually played a Final Fantasy game before and while the lore seems a little sparse I really love what I've seen so far. Here are some of the characters I've made so far and their (eventual) intended jobs.

Arlas Taeve: Midlander hyur, white mage. I don't know enough about hyurs in Limsa Lominsa, but he's tentatively from there. Very healing oriented, probably did a lot in the Calamity but again, I'm -completely- new to FF so I have to do some more reading/questing before I have anything super solid from him. However, he's currently my main PVE character and I'm excited to hash out his story!

Storm Howler: My Roegadyn lady! Hellsguard, obviously, and to eventually be a Dragoon. She's from where most of the Hellsguard are from (that volcano, I think??) but ran away from home at a rather young age. I'd love to tie her into Ishgard since her original incarnation was much more suited to snowy lands, but I don't know if there are any Roegadyn in Ishgard since they seem kind of closed off/reclusive.

Kira Damji: I'm not quite sure where she's from. Possibly the "east" since her name is a little foreign, but I don't know what's really over there or what being from that area would entail. Kira is gruff and a little abrasive to hide the fact that she's shy/socially awkward. She's very devoted to being a swordswoman/eventual Paladin. She also has an intense fear of deep water from almost drowning at a young age, so it's a good thing she starts in Ul'dah! 

ALSO... I have no idea how linkshells work, but if there are any good OOC RP coordination ones on Balmung I'd love to hang (after you explain how I join them). :) Or if there are any FCs out there who are recruiting and like the look of my characters (and come on, who doesn't need a white mage? He's a nice guy!) I'd love to check you guys out!

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - elisan - 09-19-2013

Welcome!!

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-19-2013

Welcoooome! First off, I am so happy you picked Balmung and also a Hellsguard because if there's anything I love to see, it's dem Hellsguard sisters. You must be one of those masters who can play multiple characters-- I stink at time management.

Linkshells kind of scared me too there for a while. Basically, if you go to the Linkshell directory (remember to click on Balmung at the top so you don't accidentally get attached to an LS on another serve!) you'll usually see some contact information and possibly some procedure for joining the LS. This sometimes means you need to register on the LS's website. There are also Free Companies in there too, (which are more like guilds from WoW and SWTOR and I believe you can only be in one FC at a time) so make sure if you only want to join a LS that whichever you choose can accommodate you. Many, many, many of the people here are magnificently nice so I'm sure you can pick any one of them and get plenty of help.

Europa (for European time-zone RPers, I believe) and Intermission are two of the OOC LSs that I see in the directory, if you're interested in those.

Like with guilds in other games, all you have to do is get the attention of a LS leader or master and they'll be able to bring you in, so long as you meet their prerequisites (if they have any). You can have a lot of LSs but, like I said, only one FC (so far as I know, I haven't joined one myself yet.)

On another note, two of your characters look like they might enjoy a good fight-- if -you- like /roll or free form combat RP then you can always look over The Grindstone. Since we started, we've been hanging out, outside Ul'dah in Central Thanalan on the bridge you take to get to the Coffin and Coffer. Coffer...and Coffin? Pretty sure it's the first. I admit, there's a lot to read there in the Grindstone directory, but it's only a LS so I've yet to see a reason to start a site. Maybe when there's too much information for the directory page to hold, I'll have to go off and do that... We also like healers! Because we tend to hurt each other. (Bruises, sprains, sometimes gashes, etc.)

White mages have sort of a funky lore thing I'm not sure you know about, but it might have thrown me a bit if I'd decided to roll one myself and I found out about it on these forums.

White magic, the arcane art of succor, was conceived eras past that the world might know comfort. Alas, man began perverting its powers for self-gain, and by his wickedness brought about the Sixth Umbral catastrophe. Although the art subsequently became forbidden, it is now in the midst of a revival at the hands of the Padjal, chosen of the elementals.
Those who would walk the path of the white mage are healers without peer, possessed of the power to deliver comrades from the direst of afflictions—even the icy grip of death itself.

You might want to incorporate that into your story somehow for Arlas-- that the Padjal (who are those elemental-blessed Hyur with horns that look like children from the Twelveswood/Gridania) are the primary teachers of White Mages, so in order to become one you -may- want to be on good terms with them ICly. Apparently White Mages are fairly rare, according to lore, as are conjurers. But then again, so are male Miqo'te and there's a plethora of them. (Love dem catboys, amirite?) You can take that with a grain of salt.

If you have any questions or concerns or anything regarding the LSs, feel free to ask and I'm sure anyone here would be happy to give you all the insight they have.

(*On another note, there's a little word bubble at the bottom left hand corner of your text box in game. When you join an LS, you can click it and it will allow you to talk straight into the LS chat without having to type in... whatever /code there is for it. Quite handy for me since I've yet to figure out what the /code is. =3=; )

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Davian Ackerman - 09-19-2013

Welcome to the community!

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Arlas - 09-19-2013

Oh wow Siobhain what a welcome! (/_\) Thank you so much!! I'll definitely check out Intermission since I'm NA (EST as well!). Also thanks you everyone else who welcomed me ahhhh you guys are super nice.

The Grindstone looks awesome. :D That sounds like a great LS, I'll have to whisper you in game once I get Storm Howler established, which I'm super excited to do because like you said, omg Hellsguard ladies. Kira would probably also be all over dueling/sparring.

I actually stink at playing multiple characters, but I try anyways. :P I managed Arlas and Storm Howler well enough in their GW2 incarnations, but we'll see how this works out in FFXIV!

And thanks for the WM lore! I'm not 100% how I'll apply it yet but it's definitely cool to see in mind.

Also... No wardrobe system (yet) makes me sad. ;.; Arlas had some awful questing gear for a few levels, I need a cool outfit to RP in, dangit!

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Maqali Qulaan - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 09:12 PM)Siobhain Wrote: (*On another note, there's a little word bubble at the bottom left hand corner of your text box in game. When you join an LS, you can click it and it will allow you to talk straight into the LS chat without having to type in... whatever /code there is for it. Quite handy for me since I've yet to figure out what the /code is. =3=; )
The code is /l# where the # is whatever number linkshell it is. Smile So /l2 for your second linkshell, /l4 for the fourth, and so on. And that's an L not an I Tongue

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-19-2013

No problem at all, Arlas, we'll be happy to have you and I'm happy to help! 

And thank you very much for that code, S'janna~ Very helpful.

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - Maqali Qulaan - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 11:54 PM)Siobhain Wrote: No problem at all, Arlas, we'll be happy to have you and I'm happy to help! 

And thank you very much for that code, S'janna~ Very helpful.
No problem Siobhain! It was one of the first things i tried to figure out because I'm always chatting SOMEWHERE.

Also, belated welcome Arlas Blush Hehe.

RE: Another new face! :D (Balmung) - S'anhu - 09-20-2013

Welcome!

All this talk about Grindstone has me a bit interested, myself. I wish I were good at multiple characters, because that sounds like a blast!

I was also recently taught that alt+L will cycle through your different linkshells. Alt+f is Free Company, alt+p is party, etc. Makes it easy to switch back and forth, depending on how your group is RPing.