Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question about other continents - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question about other continents (/showthread.php?tid=4720)

Question about other continents - SessionZero - 09-24-2013

Is there a repository of knowledge about the other continents that inhabit the world of Hydaelyn? I'm curious because I'm leaning towards having one of my characters be from Ivalice, but I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated what the other nations of the world are, or if they're shrouded in mystery and therefore it stands to reason that Ivalice could be a nation of Hydaelyn since the art style and job system of ARR is eerily similar to Tactics and 12. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Question about other continents - TwilightSea - 09-24-2013

I highly doubt Ivalice is part of Hydaelyn since we would have already seen Ivaliceian races such as Bangaa and Nu Mou. I suppose you could use the classic got here through Atomos backstory drop if you wanted to come from Ivalice.

RE: Question about other continents - SessionZero - 09-24-2013

Eh, nah. Seems too deus ex-y to me. Well, in any case, is there a wiki or some sort of official lore page that explains any other nations in greater detail?

RE: Question about other continents - Ildur - 09-24-2013

There isn't. There's a mention about other continental masses and the mention that the Garleans invaded and fought the Primals of those lands. But nothing specific about culture, cities or races that you can find in them. So it's not a particularly good idea to create a character that comes from any of them, since there's nothing to work on and, if you made things up, you run a great risk of needing to retcon it at a later date (if the official lore ever decides to say anything that contradicts your backstory, basically).

Well bleh. I guess she'll be from Ul'dah then.

RE: Question about other continents - Lost River - 09-24-2013

Could always have her come from parts unknown. Work it into her story as well and also have people never find out just where she is from!

RE: Question about other continents - Magellan - 09-24-2013

Ivalice could someday become part of the world (the original Ivalice had humans only, and no other races) and FFXIV does seem to pick stuff from every other FF.

But there is no way to be sure. Plus, I always hesitate about characters coming from places unknown, because then you have to leave your char's story so intentionally vague as to not conflict with any future lore that comes out.

Without solid, tangible foundations from their past, its hard to build their presentand future. Just my 2 cents.

River - I guess that could work. Keep it vague enough that when/if Square finally does reveal the other continents, she can fit in regardless. Good idea.

Magellan - It is possible, IMO, to keep a vague backstory and still build a solid foundation for a character. Barring Square releasing only locations that have very rigid lore and cultural lines and whatnot, more or less any character can be molded to fit whatever new nation fits them best.

Besides, it's Square. You know how they can't resist a very Ivalice-y place, if not Ivalice itself.

RE: Question about other continents - Nimarhie - 09-24-2013

There are other continents or at least islands, both Lalafell and Miqote came from elsewhere to Eorzea. Se just dont know anything about them.

I was thinking last night that it would be a really cool expansion if we could go to those homelands.

RE: Question about other continents - Lost River - 09-24-2013

(09-24-2013, 05:13 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: There are other continents or at least islands, both Lalafell and Miqote came from elsewhere to Eorzea. Se just dont know anything about them.

I was thinking last night that it would be a really cool expansion if we could go to those homelands.

More than likely, that will be something that will happen. Many MMOs tend to do this. Woot.