Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 10-05-2015

(10-05-2015, 02:33 PM)Diskwrite Wrote: Do we have a list of all the locales visited for the pilgrimage Llymlaen followers take? I've only been able to find 2 locations: Cassiopeia Hollow and Shposhae.

Fernehalwes Wrote:Fun Fact: perhaps you have noticed, but in several of the dungeons in La Noscea you will find locations on your maps with names like "Llymlaen's Folly" or "Llymlaen's Trial." These are, in fact, sacred sites for the followers of the Navigator - each representing one of the 12 chapters in the tale of Llymlaen's Ascent. As part of their worship, followers risk their lives to perform yearly pilgrimages, visiting all twelve sites in the order they appear in the tale.

The chapters (in order) are as follows:

Llymlaen's Folly
Llymlaen's Flight
Llymlaen's Tempest
Llymlaen's Clarity
Llymlaen's Resolve
Llymlaen's Bearing
Llymlaen's Trial
Llymlaen's Encounter
Llymlaen's Stand
Llymlaen's Triumph
Llymlaen's Oath
Llymlaen's Ascent

Cassiopeia Hollow, a series of caverns located beneath Bloodshore in eastern La Noscea, was home to the first four of the twelve pilgrimage locations: Llymlaen's Folly, Llymlaen's Flight, Llymlaen's Tempest, and Llymlaen's Clarity. Pilgrims would start in the western caverns and travel clockwise around the caverns to visit each site.

Show Content

Shposhae, another series of subterranean caverns located this time in Moraby Bay, was rumored to be the long sought-after hideout of the famous Rycharde Mistbeard said to contain riches, treasures, and secrets known the world over. Pure black chocobos, gold ingots, a ten-ponze Meracydian diamond, and if the rumors are true... proof that our Admiral Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn and the mysterious dreadpirate were an item. (JK, it was a Bloody Executioner hoax) Anywhoozles! Shposhae marks the fifth through ninth locations upon the Llymlaen pilgrimage: Llymlaen's Resolve, Llymlaen's Bearing, Llymlaen's Trial, Llymlaen's Encounter, and Llymlaen's Stand.

The final three locations upon the Pilgrimage of Llymlaen's Ascent (Llymlaen's Triumph, Llymlaen's Oath, and Llymlaen's Ascent) are unaccounted for and have yet to appear in game. There are also no known references in game to their supposed location, unfortunately.

Hope this helps some! ^^;

RE: General Lore Questions - Diskwrite - 10-06-2015

This is absolutely fantastic, thank you!

RE: General Lore Questions - Juromaro - 01-30-2016

I'm working on a new character story for my eventual return to Eorzea and I was curious about a few things. A little background first though, I left sometime either in 2.1 or 2.3(can't really remember) Ninja job patch was months away and I had just gotten to the Coil part of the story around turn 2 or 3 I think. So anyway I'm extremely out of date on the story from that point on.

The Character I'm wanting to make is an Au Ra female, I haven't decided between a Raen or Xaela yet as I want to play around with the character creator before I do, but then problem is I know absolutely nothing about them and the wiki doesn't have very much info other than the general description and most threads I find on the subject aren't very informative either. So here are my questions.

1: Where can I find lore on the Au Ra?
2: I know now that BLM isn't a viable RP since I'm far from experienced enough to pull it off, but what about SMN?
3: What would be an acceptable timeline to use to explain an Au Ra character knowing certain aspects about an area I.E: Character was in seclusion somewhere near Gridania?
4: What elements would be a fitting affinity for said Au Ra?
5: Do the Au Ra worship any of the Guardians like Rhalgr? If so which one/ones would be a better match for the affinity?

Sorry for the wall of text and the noobish questions ><

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 09:44 PM)Juromaro Wrote: 1: Where can I find lore on the Au Ra?

I've been compiling any racial lore I find and posting it to this Race Lore Compilation post, which contains lore on each race, lore on cross-race breeding, racial origins, religion, and the history of racial conflict common throughout the Sixth Astral Era.

(01-30-2016, 09:44 PM)Juromaro Wrote: 2: I know now that BLM isn't a viable RP since I'm far from experienced enough to pull it off, but what about SMN?

I'm going to drop a few links here on relevant lore posts, but I'll go into a more detailed answer below as well:
-Arcanist Lore Overview
-SMN Lore Basics and Egis

SMN (and BLM) for that matter are both open for roleplay. Each job just comes with some specific history and baggage that some roleplayers feel uncomfortable with. Honestly, many feel more ill at ease with SMN than BLM, but we can figure out a way to make both work! ^^

Summoner requires the unenviable position of being present at the defeat of a Primal. You do not necessarily have to have dealt the killing blow, but you must have been close enough to get washed in the Primal's dying aether after the killing blow is struck. This is the point of contention for most roleplayers, as fighting Primals has a high risk of your character dying or becoming tempered. With Hydaelyn's Blessing, the Player Character has been able to avoid becoming tempered and as such can take on the primals with relative ease and smaller numbers. In the past, the strategy for less fortunate folk is to throw entire armies at the primal and try to overwhelm it with numbers. Countless individuals would perish in these skirmishes.

Other than that, you need only figure out a reason why your character would know about a 5,000 year dead magical art of the Allagans and you're golden! ^^ In one of the above links I listed out the steps required for obtaining an Egi. In the spoiler I'm going to add some lore quotes...

Show Content

EDIT: Adding in a couple of BLM links, just in case you wanted to check those out as well since it was mentioned.

(01-30-2016, 09:44 PM)Juromaro Wrote: 3: What would be an acceptable timeline to use to explain an Au Ra character knowing certain aspects about an area I.E: Character was in seclusion somewhere near Gridania?

Raen Au Ra are but recent immigrants to Eorzea, after the Garlean Empire razed the Raen's city-state, Doma, less than a year ago. Refugees from the imperial province and the surrounding region have been flocking to Eorzea ever since. Garlemald has controlled the Far Eastern continent of Othard for close to 25 years now, and for the large part, the city-states of Othard have been left in relative peace until recently.

The Xaela, however, are a nomadic people who cover the other regions of Othard and have been known to venture out beyond their territories. Sidurgu of the DRK storyline attests that shortly after Garlemald began invading Othard (20~25 years ago) he and his tribe came to Eorzea seeking asylum near Ishgard. At the time, Ishgard mistook these early Auri settlers as dragons, and most were slaughtered by the temple knights.

So there is lore precedent for Au Ra living in Eorzea prior to the recent Raen refugee crisis, but not much.

(01-30-2016, 09:44 PM)Juromaro Wrote: 5: Do the Au Ra worship any of the Guardians like Rhalgr? If so which one/ones would be a better match for the affinity?

Worship of the Twelve is primarily restricted to Eorzea. The many peoples of other continents worship different deities. We know, for example, that many Xaela worship Azim, goddess of the sun. Azim is not directly related to Azeyma, though they sound similar. There are also tribes who worship other deities, such as Nhama. More lore on this can be found under the Xaela Tribe section of the Au Ra Naming Conventions post.

-Au Ra Religion Thread
-Eorzean Religion Masterpost

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

RE: General Lore Questions - Juromaro - 01-30-2016

Thank you very much Sounsyy Laugh, I've still got quite a bit of time to flesh out details so rest assured I'll be obsessing over those links for the next few weeks <3

P.S: I've noticed when it comes to anything lore you are almost always the go to person for answers lol should rename this thread "Ask Sounsyy Lore questions" ^_^

RE: General Lore Questions - GhostlyMaiden - 02-01-2016

I have Void questions~

1) What do we know about the void?
2) I can't remember: Black Mages essentially learn from the void, yes?
3) How can you become voidtouched?
4) Is it possible to go into the Void and come out alive? 

If these questions would be better off in it's own thread for further discussion, I will happily make a thread.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 10:50 AM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: I have Void questions~

If these questions would be better off in it's own thread for further discussion, I will happily make a thread.

Here goes.

1) Not much. It's characterized as a place between realms and has a complete lack of aether.

2) No, not really. Some select Black Mages did, yes, but Black Magic itself is not related to the void. Black Mages sought to use/exploit the void to enhance their powers and to unleash voidsent upon their enemies. (It backfired on them in the end)

3) Step 1. Find a voidsent or void-tainted area. Step 2. Don't avoid it or try to kill it or try to cleanse it because it's a known evil/tainted place/thing. Step 3. ??? Step 4. You did it!

In seriousness though, I beleive the common belief among Eorzeans is to basically destroy anything voidtouched as it -is- evil, it's likely dead, and it's in the realm to cause harm. Having free will -and- being officially voidtouched (which basically means possessed) is not a good thing.

4) See: Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness. Yes, but your chances of becoming voidtouched or corrupted are extremely high. Voidsent will effectively attack you for your aether on the spot.

Some decent links (all are Sounsyy posts from their relevant threads)

BLM:
The paradox of drawing aether from different mediums
Black Mage legality and questions
BLM/THM Inquiry
THM/Magic Roleplayers - How is thaumaturgy used? (links to Sounsyy Lore compilation as well)

Void:
Necromancy, death, and the undead
Need lore info on the Void/Dark Realm and Sharlayan
The Void (Lore Request)

RE: General Lore Questions - FreelanceWizard - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 10:50 AM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: I have Void questions~

Merc here's covered most of the key points. Smile

One thing I'd add, regarding your second question, is that those who oppose Black Magic (e.g., select Hearers of the Fane, some adventurers) are likely to believe that Black Magic is intimately connected to the Void, and that anyone using or even researching Black Magic is just one spell away from summoning Diabolos. That's because of all the evidence of Mhach's naughtiness during the Fifth Astral Era, which our characters are even now still cleaning up. However, this belief is, of course, not true. Smile Summoning and binding voidsent is something one can do with proper magic, and binding voidsent can provide a quick route to considerable power (as demonstrated by Mhach), but nothing inherent in the practice requires involving the Void at all, as explained in the Sounsyy links. It seems the case is more that Black Magic lends itself easily to being used to call things from the void, and that Black Mages very generally speaking are highly motivated by power for power's sake. Combine those two characteristics together and you have disaster with a capital D (for Diabolos Tongue ). The WoL and their mentors during the BLM quest lines show that Black Magic can be used safely and responsibly without ripping the world apart.

As a more general point to consider, Eorzeans know precious little about the Void and its denizens. In fact, "voidsent" is sort of a catch-all term for anything in the taxonomy of beasts that naturalists can't readily comprehend. Bombs, for instance, are considered voidsent, but they don't come out of void portals or appear to consume aether in the way, say, that a succubus does; they're actually crafted by kobolds in bomb furnaces using magic (Pharos Sirius HM, Outer La Noscea, etc.). Fernehalwes made a point once, echoed just recently in his comments about item naming, that much of what we see is from the point of view of unreliable narrators. For instance, lamia are commonly believed to be Drowned servants, but in reality, they're the results of Allagan genetic engineering. Contradictory information abounds and "the truth" is somewhat up for grabs, particularly as it applies to the Void. Smile

Likewise, "voidtouched" can refer to an actual condition of being influenced or even possessed by voidsent, as well as being akin to being called "tainted" -- a way to dehumanize someone you don't like or don't trust. Calling someone "voidtouched" could be true, or it could just be the same as calling someone a witch.

RE: General Lore Questions - GhostlyMaiden - 02-11-2016

Another question!
Was it possible to travel from Othard (more specifically, Doma) to Eorzea, and vice versa? When I ask this, I mean before we started seeing refugees.
If it was possible, how would people do it? Was there trade between Eorzea and Othard?

RE: General Lore Questions - Martiallais - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 02:21 PM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: Another question!
Was it possible to travel from Othard (more specifically, Doma) to Eorzea, and vice versa? When I ask this, I mean before we started seeing refugees.
If it was possible, how would people do it? Was there trade between Eorzea and Othard?

Yay for (sort of) being able to answer a question. Sounsyy answered the travel portion not too long ago. Link posted below! There are also mentions of Limsa and Doma having trade relations as well.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=15149&pid=242267#pid242267

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12473&pid=197413#pid197413

There are also mentions of some routes from Doma to Eorzea in this post by Sounsyy as well. Smile

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12877&pid=203714#pid203714

Hope this helps!

RE: General Lore Questions - Yuella - 02-16-2016

Why did Minfilia declare the 7th Astral Era at the end of 2.0?  Who gets to decide whether we have moved from an Umbral Era to Astral Era?  (Astral to Umbral is easy.  It's a calamity).  What if someone disagrees and thinks we're still in the Umbral era?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 10:45 AM)Yuella Wrote: Why did Minfilia declare the 7th Astral Era at the end of 2.0?  Who gets to decide whether we have moved from an Umbral Era to Astral Era?  (Astral to Umbral is easy.  It's a calamity).  What if someone disagrees and thinks we're still in the Umbral era?

Fernehalwes addressed this at the 2014 Las Vegas Fanfest Lore Panel:

Fernehalwes Wrote:Q: So, officially, it’s the Seventh Astral Era… but there’s still… a lot of stuff going on. Who are the Grand Company Leaders that they can just be like, “Okay, it’s over, we’re done!”

MCKF: This is a very political thing. Basically, five years ago, you had half of your world destroyed because Louisoix stepped in and tried to stop things and only half stopped things. A lot of people did pass away during the calamity and their livelihood as been destroyed and they have to rebuild and go into the shroud to move felled trees and rebuild their farms and it got a lot of people down. If you look at some of the NPC dialogue, one thing we did in 2.0 was, we thought you know if my life had been destroyed I’d be all depressed, I’m just trying to rebuild things and get back on my feet. SO we’ve tried to put that kind of text into these regular NPCs. You have all these people in these nations that are very down. They had this big war with the Garleans, they won all these great battles, it was the first time in thousands of years the Grand Companies were formed and then “hey we made… DIDN’T make it” so basically the GC leaders were waiting for something good to happen and they grasped onto that and said “ok! umbral era is over mission accomplished we’re done!” to hopefully bring peoples spirits up. It’s a morale thing, you can’t have your people depressed all the time, they won’t be productive thinking “why should I farm? Another Bahamut is gonna just destroy my fields.”

Q: So we have that quest line, Chronicles of a New Era.. so we ARE in a new era then?

MCKF: Yep. When they announce it, that’s it. But it’s weird because if a new player picks up the game and starts today they’re still in the Umbral Era, it’s in that time bubble.

Of course, that only covers this most recent Umbral to Astral. For previous Calamities, specific events in history marked the recovery from Umbral to Astral time periods. For instance, mankind's discovery of magic (thaumaturgy) 3000 years ago marked the end of the 5th Umbral Era into the 5th Astral. And the 6th Umbral Calamity ended when the waters of the Great Flood receded and mankind destroyed the last traces of any remaining 5th Astral Era civilizations, including all libraries and books and science related to earlier discoveries. It was... a dark time... even for an Astral Era. Similar to what we're facing in this current, 7th Astral Era.

RE: General Lore Questions - Yuella - 02-28-2016

Is the Duskwood the "black sheep" of the playable races?  Their official description says they work as thieves.  The lancer quests especially have this duskwood villain and the "of course it's the duskwood" comment at the end gives the impression that duskwoods have bad reputation.  the gladiator queses also have you fight duskwood lancers.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 02-28-2016

(02-28-2016, 10:25 PM)Yuella Wrote: Is the Duskwood the "black sheep" of the playable races?  Their official description says they work as thieves.  The lancer quests especially have this duskwood villain and the "of course it's the duskwood" comment at the end gives the impression that duskwoods have bad reputation.  the gladiator queses also have you fight duskwood lancers.

There's deep-seated prejudice against Duskwights in the Shroud/Gridania. It's based on some historical things (apparently the Duskwights didn't sign on to the Pact of Gelmorra, and native Gridanians deeply resent them for this).

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 02-29-2016

(02-28-2016, 10:25 PM)Yuella Wrote: Is the Duskwood the "black sheep" of the playable races?  Their official description says they work as thieves.  The lancer quests especially have this duskwood villain and the "of course it's the duskwood" comment at the end gives the impression that duskwoods have bad reputation.  the gladiator queses also have you fight duskwood lancers.

The Duskwight Elezen face extreme racial prejudice, which is why they have these poor reputations among NPCs, especially those in Gridania.

Essentially, at the beginning of the Sixth Astral Era Elezen tried to live in Tinolqa, the Black Shroud, but the elementals would not permit them to enter. So the Elezen built an enormous city-state beneath the ground called Gelmorra. Over hundreds of years, two clans diverged between the Elezen, those Elezen who still petitioned the elementals for entrance into the Wood stayed near the surface and ventured out into the world and became the Wildwood. Those who no longer held any desire to reside in the Wood burrowed deeper in their city-state and became the Duskwight.

Eventually, the elementals relented and allowed the eager Gelmorrans to live in the Wood if they agreed to the Pact of Gelmorra. This protected the Gridanians so long as they respected the Wood and did not use the elemental-gifted powers for war. But the Duskwight Elezen rejected the Pact of Gelmorra, for they were more than happy to remain as they had within their subterranean city-state. The Wildwood Elezen were so insulted by this slight against the elementals they believed messengers of Nophica, the Wildwood retaliated by razing Gelmorra and ensuring it remained buried forever. Now with no city-state to call their home, the Duskwight were at the mercy of the Wildwood's hatred. Homeless, jobless, and prejudiced against, the Duskwight had no choice but to resort to banditry and lives of crime. Many fled Tinolqa, many could not. Those who remained became known by the derogatory term "Greys."

Here's some more Duskwight Lore:
-Race Lore Compilation (Elezen)
-Duskwight and Gelmorra Interview
-Duskwight Lore Dump

Show Content