Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Greybarren - 03-11-2016

(03-11-2016, 12:03 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I've been greatly distracted by Division... I have lore drops coming soon I promise.

(03-09-2016, 09:37 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: Asking for a friend of a friend:

"This might be a shot in the dark, but I do know there are a few fan-compiled lore references out there... does anyone know about a handy reference for lore on Eorzea's minerals and such? I know the lore is there, from things like the mining leves and such, but it's been so long x.x"

That is a rather large request. Shoshopu,  gimme like... four days and I'll get your friend just about everything there is.

If I may make a suggestion for your friend in the meantime ... Garland tools has a lot of that information stored on their DB.  It'll be a slow crawl through all the leve text and the item text, but they can at least get started.  Smile

http://www.garlandtools.org/db/

RE: General Lore Questions - GhostlyMaiden - 03-14-2016

Immortal Flames politics.....yay.....
Any links would be helpful and I also have one specific question.

Is it possible to have "agents", people who do things under the rug and on public records not listed as an Immortal Flame (or any GC) affiliate? People who would deal with all the dirty work, basically.

RE: General Lore Questions - JudicialHunter - 03-14-2016

Machinist time!
  • General lore dump of machinists, because I sure do love me those.
  • Specifics on firearms, how are they crafted, etc etc.
  • Can't think of anything else. Whoops.

RE: General Lore Questions - Jana - 03-14-2016

Mechanists are a brand-new job "invented" in Ishgard as a way to produce their own tech/magitek for use against dragons, inspired in part by the Garlond Ironworks. The gem you're given is unique in that it's devoid of the etchings described in every other jobs' soul gem since you're the first to hold it, and after each job quest where you learn a new skill, you're implicitly taught by the NPCs, not by the gem giving you knowledge.

I don't think we have lore on the manufacture of firearms yet, unless new BSM quests go into it. We can infer a few things though, like since Limsa has been using muskets and rifles since 1.0, they would know about making them. Ishgard's efforts seem to be largely on the part of just the 1 house the NPCs come from (I'm at work and can't check which house it was, though).

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 03:03 PM)JudicialHunter Wrote: Machinist time!
My character has made a few guns ICly and I have some knowledge of period firearm crafting.

Basically you make guns in this era by taking an iron tube (though most early guns had octagonal barrels) and then drilling out a barrel. Then you attach it to whatever you're using for the mechanism and a wooden stock. 

Usually different craftsmen handle different parts of the gun. Different people do the stock, the barrel, and the mechanisms. Most of them guns in game have extensive engraving as well, so a jeweler would be involved. Guns have tended to be richly decorated up until the era of mass production, as they were usually the most expensive thing a person owned, possibly passed down from generation to generation. Kentucky rifles are a good example of this.

All guns that machinests use seem to be breechloading, and thus are probably rifled for accuracy. The models can differ pretty wildly, but they all seem to use either a revolving cylinder or a break mechanism (think a hunting shotgun where it bends in half) for loading. I haven't seen any with a magazine loading system.

Most of the guns are probably 40 to 55 calibre cartridges. Which historically can be accurate at ranges of several hundred meteres. The problem is that this is a fantasy game where people can punch robots to death, so history only gets you so far.

I doubt we have any magazines but we do have a couple of revolver barrels (the "Handgonne" models and the new PvP gun).

(03-14-2016, 03:32 PM)Jana Wrote: I doubt we have any magazines but we do have a couple of revolver barrels (the "Handgonne" models and the new PvP gun).
Ah yes, those are called a 'pepperbox' where each barrel has a round loaded into it. Unfortunately it's kind of stupid that they put them in, as you can only reload those manually.

Each barrel has to be rotated, cleaned, and then filled with ball/powder. They were an early way to get multiple shots in a single weapon, but have no advantages (and many disadvantages) over a revolver.

Wikipedia on pepperboxes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box

Ah yeah, the Dreadwyrm/T13 Handgonne even had that "spin" animation when drawn.

Also if we're talking about MCH specifically, there's their little aether ammo pack thing (what's strapped to every MCH's hip) and how it places them apart from just a guy with a gun. I'm not 100% familiar with the lore behind it, but I think it uses the soul gem to empower shots loaded from it?

Going into it a little bit here, but a small point on reloading. Reloading any non cartridge based firearm is a pretty complicated task, especially one that holds multiple rounds. 

I would suggest basing any weapon you RP with on cartridges, or otherwise just don't reload in combat. It would likely take even a skilled operator several minutes to reload a 6 shot revolver, which would be impractical in most situations.

The movie Django Unchained represented this well in its gunfights. No one ever reloads, ever. They just shoot the six rounds in their gun and then look for a new one, as no one has time to fuck around with powder and ball in a gunfight.

(03-14-2016, 03:39 PM)Jana Wrote: Ah yeah, the Dreadwyrm/T13 Handgonne even had that "spin" animation when drawn.

Also if we're talking about MCH specifically, there's their little aether ammo pack thing (what's strapped to every MCH's hip) and how it places them apart from just a guy with a gun. I'm not 100% familiar with the lore behind it, but I think it uses the soul gem to empower shots loaded from it?
I was under the assumption it's just what they use to toss their turrets and grenades out of. I think they are just guys with a gun but better.

They're like um.... batman with a gun.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 03-14-2016

The only difference with already existing flintlock weaponry is that MCH guns seem much more refined and advanced to me, especially that they don't use flintlock but the aetherial appendage the MCH carries with him to channel his/her own aether into the weapon and turrets.

RE: General Lore Questions - Whisper Bexley - 03-15-2016

Do miqo'te age like humans?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 05:53 AM)Whisper Bexley Wrote: Do miqo'te age like humans?

Yes. All of "the races of man" do, which is all the playable races. (We aren't sure about Au Ra since this was stated before they were released, but it's probably the same for them as well).

All the races have about the sake maximum theoretical age and mature at the same rate. The only race that has been stated to be different are Elezens. They have a slight longer max life and have a slightly longer period of puberty. (So if all the races could live to 100, Elezen might get to 110 or 120, but their "teen" period might last until say 25 or something. These aren't hard numbers, but more a guestimate.)

Source: Lore panel at the 2014 Vegas Fanfest.

RE: General Lore Questions - JudicialHunter - 03-15-2016

(03-14-2016, 03:42 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 03:39 PM)Jana Wrote: Ah yeah, the Dreadwyrm/T13 Handgonne even had that "spin" animation when drawn.

I was under the assumption it's just what they use to toss their turrets and grenades out of. I think they are just guys with a gun but better.

They're like um.... batman with a gun.
I think I recall their little opening unlock blurb (somewhere early on) that their aether pack allows them to empower their stuff, yeah. I'd look it up but I'm at work, so it'll have to wait.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 03-17-2016

Some of the questions have been answered, but I'm just doing a quick run through of everything to make sure lore is posted. Shoshopu, I'm still working on them rocks. =x Forgive me.

(03-08-2016, 05:22 AM)Valence Wrote: Heh, new question... I know I may have an obsession with elementals, but do elementals only live in the Shroud, or can some of their lesser ones, or in a way lesser quantity or organized fashion, live everywhere else? Do we have info on that in lore? I am not sure how to approach their existence (or non existence) outside of the Shroud?

Well-bundled Adventurer Wrote:If you are planning to stay a while, you might want to learn a bit about the elementals. They reside within all creation, and are the organizing principle at work throughout the world. The ancient elementals of the Twelveswood are much more powerful and wise than those from other parts of the world.
Geva Wrote:The Twelveswood around Gridania is full of elementals. They reside in all things, like little clumps of life. They keep watch over all of us—both we forestborn and the beasts of the wood. We cannot simply hunt things down in the wood because they hunt us. In all things, the permission of the elementals is needed.
Papalymo Wrote:That's what I've been trying to tell you. There are elementals in all sorts of things. Rocks, rivers, flowers. They are the unifying force of this entire forest.
Raya-O-Senna Wrote:Now, these misbehaving elementals would have long been pacified, but for the fact that most incidents transpire outside the Twelveswood. I am duty-bound to the forest, you see, and cannot attend to the matter, while Stillglade Fane has not the manpower to spare at present for an undertaking beyond our borders. But you, Sounsyy─you may do what we Gridanians cannot. So I bid you journey forth to quell the keening of the elementals throughout Eorzea.

(03-08-2016, 06:46 PM)Mavis Wrote: 2. Elementals.
They -are- nature, as already said in the thread. However me and Sil while discussing this had somewhat different opinions. One way of seeing it was that the Elementals resided in the shroud (talking about the big scary ones), but due to their strength they influence all of nature even far beyond the twelveswood, sort of like the roots of a tree. The other point of view being that the elementals are more decentralised, every tree or rock being a "mini-elemental". Any support on which of those is correct, or if both are wrong?

The latter is correct. Every rock, tree, stream, etc houses an elemental. Not all elementals are able or willing to reveal themselves, but they are there.

Papalymo Wrote:That's what I've been trying to tell you. There are elementals in all sorts of things. Rocks, rivers, flowers. They are the unifying force of this entire forest.
Hereward Wrote:We ain't in this trade to be nice. The masters'll tell you true. Treant vines may be rare enough, but if they ain't quality, they're of no use to us. Take your gil and be happy. If the conjurers find some rare elemental within, mayhaps they'll send some more coin your way.
Soileine Wrote:Perhaps it was the elementals within the knight's metals whose voices he heard. If so, there can be no doubt that he is in some way connected to Ishgard.
??? Wrote:We've had dealings with those from beyond the wood before, but never have I witnessed such insolence. The elementals within the stones tell me there is no need for concern.

(03-08-2016, 07:17 AM)Valence Wrote: Are Allagans really hyurs then? Or something else? Or is there a twist somewhere that makes Allag a hyur civilization that rose up in their original place of origin, spreaded all across the planet including Aldenard, and then crumbled, leaving their hyur offspring only in a certain remote place (not Aldernard)?

Fanfest 2014 Wrote:MCKF: Most of the races don’t really like each other and its gone on through multiple Eras. There are times when Eorzea has been more populated by one race over another and there will be conflict there. With the Hyur and Elezen, that’s very recent. In the sixth astral era, Elezen migrated in and in that era they were like “we’re the first ones here!” even though they weren’t, but they were the first at the beginning of the sixth astral era and they settled and of course the pesky Hyur who are everywhere come in and the Elezen are like “oh my god we left you that whole continent up there why are you here!” and the Lalafell come in and you have these cycles of clashing and moving part and that gets ingrained in their society and their racial cultures.

Q: This kinda indirectly answers another question that came up about if the Hyur are such recent arrivals, how come they’re all the Allag we’ve seen. So that explains that if it’s a constant flux we may have just forgotten they were here.

MCKF: And you haven’t seen all the Allagans yet.

Q: And if we’re going to look at the game mechanics as cannon they had outfits that fit all the races.

MCKF: You look at the Garleans and again, the Garleans are a different race, the pure-blood ones with the third eye. But when you look at the army they have people of all races because they go and subjugate a nation and tell people they can gain citizenship if you join our army and prove your worth. So that’s why you have so many soldiers that are Elezen, because all the real Garleans are back home ruling while their conscripts conquer the land, sometimes using the magic that they can’t.

(03-08-2016, 06:46 PM)Mavis Wrote: Also we know from the new Lost City HM that the amdapori managed to use succor not just to heal, but to harm (see Kuribu with her reversed Cure IV and Regen). Given the 1.0 Lore from Thaumaturges, would that mean that Black mages could use their technique to fuel stronger healing spells?

Yes, the Amdapori tainted Succor to harm instead of heal, and this was considered an abomination. The elementals abandoned hope for mankind and summoned the flood soon after.

Oha-Sok Wrote:Hast thou forgotten the pact of Gelmorra? The powers granted to the Padjal must not be used in conflict.
Miounne Wrote:The conjurers teach us that elementals of the Twelveswood are not instruments of war, and no attempt shall be made to use them as such against the Empire.
Raya-O-Senna Wrote:Emboldened by magic, man went on to reach the zenith of glory. But his hunger knew no bounds. Over time, even they who donned the white began perverting their powers for the sake of self-gain, and in this single-minded pursuit scrupled not to sully the sanctity of the Twelveswood. In his pride and avarice, man brought down the wrath of the elementals upon himself.
Amdapor Keep Wrote:However, as is oft the case with peoples who fancy themselves gods, the self-assuring hubris of the Amdapori eventually became their downfall, and as quickly as they rose to power, did they disappear from the world. For generations, this relic of their once-mighty civilization has remained hidden in plain sight - cloaked by the elementals who sought only to prevent newer generations from stumbling across the ancient Amdapori magicks.

As far as Thaumaturges/Black Mages healing, I don't see why not. Black Magic is very simply a technique which alters the aether source of a thaumaturges' spells from themselves to the planet. And as Thaumaturges in 1.0 were capable of healing spells via Blood Magic/Sacrifice, I don't see why they couldn't make use of those spells still.

(03-14-2016, 09:45 AM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: Is it possible to have "agents", people who do things under the rug and on public records not listed as an Immortal Flame (or any GC) affiliate? People who would deal with all the dirty work, basically.

Immortal Flames Wrote:Currently, the bulk of Ul'dah's military strength comes from their standing army of mercenaries and the small contingent of the palace guard known as the sultansworn. To bring order to their ranks and oversee additional wartime training, the Sultana has considered resurrecting the Immortal Flames - an elite force of battle-hardened veterans that once instilled fear in the city-state's neighboring nations during ages past. This unit would act as a core aspect of the army, essentially bolstering its power, and in effect grant more authority to the Sultana and her advisers - something of which those in control of the city-state's economy - namely the syndicate - are wary.

[Image: 439px-Immortal_Flames_Org_Chart.png]

As for agents, I say most likely that all three companies have some of a fashion. The Bloodsworn may be considered agents, truthfully, however, I do believe there was some mention of Flames Agents during the 2.4 MSQ involving the discovery of 2nd Flame Commander Eline Roaille.

(03-14-2016, 03:03 PM)JudicialHunter Wrote: Machinist time!

Lodestone Wrote:The war with Dravania rages on, brutal and unrelenting. With no end in sight, the Holy See grows desperate. As her dragoons lay down their lives in defense of their home, Ishgard turns to technology to protect her sons and daughters. Great cannons and ballistae now line the city walls, plucking dragons from the sky.

Following the example of Cid Garlond, who has demonstrated the potency of magitek, the Skysteel Manufactory works tirelessly on the development of advanced armaments. As new and devastating weapons are brought to the fray, a new class of champion arises to wield them―the machinist.
Pelderain Wrote:The manufactory here is run by House Haillenarte. From cannons to ballistas, we develop an' manufacture a range of weapons what are made for slayin' dragon invaders. We also dabble in machinistry - that's a technology what combines Master Garlond's magitek with traditional aetherology. All our machinist firearms are built on its principles.
Pelderain Wrote:Basically, a machinist is someone what wields a firearm. But it's the aetherotransformer worn at her waist what makes her different from other marksmen. This machine converts the aether found within a person's body into lightnin'-aspected energy, which then powers the machinist's arsenal of specialized devices an' techniques.
Stephanivien Wrote:Do you recall Rostnsthal's explanation of the aetherotransformer? That contraption at your waist will convert your body's aether into the lightning-aspected energy required to power the turret. You need simply place the weapon in position, and it will fire upon whichever foe you yourself attack.
Stephanivien Wrote:By redirecting the energy generated by your aetherotransformer, you will be able to charge a bullet with lightning, and thereby stun the target of your shot.
Joye Wrote:I don't understand, me lordship. Most Ishgardians ain't hardly aware that machinists exist.

(03-15-2016, 05:53 AM)Whisper Bexley Wrote: Do miqo'te age like humans?

2014 Fanfest Wrote:Q: What are the age scales of every race? How long do they live and how long does it take them to become an adult?

MCKF: Okay, yeah I asked about this and I was told that age-scale wise the five races biologically they can live about- they have the same lifespan as we do here on earth. They can live one hundred, one hundred and twenty biologically. The thing is, here we have modern medicine, we have jobs that don't take us on to the battlefield, we have food in refrigerators not sitting in a barrel. And so we can live that long, whereas, in Eorzea its a much harsher realm. I mean you've got raptors roaming the jungle. "I need to go out and pick an ogre pumpkin!" "Oh sorry, daddy got eaten by a raptor as he was picking our dinner pumpkin so it looks like we're having nothing for dinner tonight." And so daddy dies of raptor and children die of starvation because they couldn't get the pumpkin.

On top of that you have wars and people are fighting Ishgard, I wouldn't expect most people would live longer than like thirty years. That's the thing, so you get an average lifespan that is a lot shorter, y'know in the forties, fifties. I mean there was the one quest about, back in 1.0... there was the Lalafell that was put in the Oubliette in Ul'dah, and he was in there praying and because he was this zen thing and he focused and he slowed his breathing and he lived for hundreds of years or whatever. Other than that people aren't going to live that long.

That said, Elezen actually do have a longer lifespan than the other four races. And this also appears in the- when they go from child to puberty to adulthood. So which is why you'll see in the- in 1.0 there was a bunch of Elezen children that appeared in some of the quests and they appear again in 2.0, and they're still children. And you think well it's been five years why are they still children? It's because again that childhood for Elezen can last much longer. And they end up living longer as well. Um, but for the most part it's pretty much just the same as us, but with more... fatality.

More lore on the races, racial breeding, ages, origins, and customs can be found in the Race Lore Masterpost! ^^

Hope this helped clarify some of the already answered questions! Sorry I've been late answering these. Lemme know if there's more questions! #rocklorepost is coming!