Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Aka - 03-17-2016

Hey just a few questions about magic and aether. 
Does everyone have a unique aetherial make up kinda like DNA? 
If so could certain people been more attuned to certain types of magic based on different levels of certain aether? 
Is it possible to draw upon aether from the void?
is it possible for someone to become ageless after being exposed to the aether from the calamity?
If a Dark Knight's magic is wild does that mean it'd be near impossible to refine their use of magic?... like not being able to hold back or say use their magic with surgical precision?
ugh I have more questions but I'll leave them for another post.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 03-17-2016

Quote:Does everyone have a unique aetherial make up kinda like DNA?

All I know is that different events or aetherial manifestations all hold their proper signature that can be measured with a certain precision through contraptions of various kinds. Following that reasoning, and considering how the Scions tracked Y'shtola for example following her own aether signature, I would assume that, yes, they do.

Quote:Is it possible to draw upon aether from the void?

The Void is by definition empty of Aether, so, no.

Quote:is it possible for someone to become ageless after being exposed to the aether from the calamity?

That sounds rather specific... I am not sure to see anything that would point in that direction since the aether from the calamity mostly stems from Bahamut's aetherial influence... But who knows... I guess?

(03-17-2016, 05:11 AM)Valence Wrote: The Void is by definition empty of Aether, so, no.

First up thanks for the response but is the Void really devoid of aether? It doesn't seem likely just from looking at the Ascians and the vast amount of voidsent that use magic, plus from the chrysalis trial it looks to be brimming with a dark form of aether. So unless the Ascians, the Voidsent and perhaps even the Void itself drains aether from elsewhere to fuel their abilities it just doesn't seem very likely. I'm not basing that on anything other than my own logic so feel free to prove me wrong.

Again thanks for the replies Heart

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 11:43 AM)Aka Wrote: So unless the Ascians, the Voidsent and perhaps even the Void itself drains aether from elsewhere to fuel their abilities it just doesn't seem very likely.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they do. They take aether from the denizens of Hydaelyn - which is why they're so dangerous. They see everyone outside the Void as a sort of food source. The Ascians themselves, if I recall, are one of the few that can flit across the divide freely - so they don't have the issue of aether starvation that wracks the Voidsent.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 11:43 AM)Aka Wrote:
(03-17-2016, 05:11 AM)Valence Wrote: The Void is by definition empty of Aether, so, no.

First up thanks for the response but is the Void really devoid of aether? It doesn't seem likely just from looking at the Ascians and the vast amount of voidsent that use magic, plus from the chrysalis trial it looks to be brimming with a dark form of aether. So unless the Ascians, the Voidsent and perhaps even the Void itself drains aether from elsewhere to fuel their abilities it just doesn't seem very likely. I'm not basing that on anything other than my own logic so feel free to prove me wrong.

The Void is literally devoid of aether. I can't find the quote atm, but I want to say that is stated in the game directly.

That is exactly why the aether-starved voidsent try to get to the physical plane, especially Eorzea, which is basically flooded with aether. Of course, aether has to travel between Hydaelyn and the Aetherstream, as shown in a cutscene when the Scions are discussing the echo and summoning.

(The Ascians are actually not voidsent though. They are something else entirely. This is touched upon in content with Moenbryda).

(03-17-2016, 12:00 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they do. They take aether from the denizens of Hydaelyn - which is why they're so dangerous. They see everyone outside the Void as a sort of food source.
hmm makes sense I guess and if multiple people say that's the case I can't really deny it, this has actually really got me curious as to how the denizens of the Void function, like how are more made? and do they evolve from lesser voidsent to some of the more powerful ones we've seen the more aether they leech? do you think on some level the void (along with it's denizens) was given shape through the power of belief much like primals?

again thanks for the responses Heart

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 12:49 PM)Aka Wrote:
(03-17-2016, 12:00 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they do. They take aether from the denizens of Hydaelyn - which is why they're so dangerous. They see everyone outside the Void as a sort of food source.
hmm makes sense I guess and if multiple people say that's the case I can't really deny it, this has actually really got me curious as to how the denizens of the Void function, like how are more made? and do they evolve from lesser voidsent to some of the more powerful ones we've seen the more aether they leech? do you think on some level the void (along with it's denizens) was given shape through the power of belief much like primals?

again thanks for the responses Heart

There are different classes/categories of voidsent! ...usually noted on rare item drops/cards/minions.

I feel like we had a lore compilation by Sounsyy on this, so I'm gonna see if I can find it.

Edit: Here's some of the VoidVoidsent Lore threads

The Void (Lore Request)
Need lore info on the Void/Dark Realm and Sharlayan
More Void Stuff
Question regarding Elementals, WHM, and Voidtouching
Necromancy, death, and the undead.
A question about Death and Resurrection
Earlier post in this thread

RE: General Lore Questions - Shoshopu - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 12:28 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Some of the questions have been answered, but I'm just doing a quick run through of everything to make sure lore is posted. Shoshopu, I'm still working on them rocks. =x Forgive me.

Hey, it's no problem! The friend I was asking about it for said there's no huge rush.

I know my rock lore question is still pending but here's another question for a friend (one who has an account here but he doesn't often post /STARES), what's with the BLM stuff always covering one eye? I found an earlier thread that was even Sounsyy'd (and the reddit thread that thread linked to) about the idea that THMs would literally replace their eyes with materia or otherwise 'give up' their eyes to magic, but what do we actually know about that? I seem to remember in the THM quests that you would sometimes see something glowing from behind that eye covering...?

RE: General Lore Questions - Melkire - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 12:16 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(03-17-2016, 11:43 AM)Aka Wrote:

The Void is literally devoid of aether. I can't find the quote atm, but I want to say that is stated in the game directly.

That is exactly why the aether-starved voidsent try to get to the physical plane, especially Eorzea, which is basically flooded with aether. Of course, aether has to travel between Hydaelyn and the Aetherstream, as shown in a cutscene when the Scions are discussing the echo and summoning.

(The Ascians are actually not voidsent though. They are something else entirely. This is touched upon in content with Moenbryda).

Slight correction: between Hydaeylyn and the aetherial sea.

Hydaelyn <-> Void <-> Aetherial Sea

When you start talking about the Lifestream, things get... trickier.

RE: General Lore Questions - Shoshopu - 04-12-2016

Do we know if Raubahn has ever had an encounter with Ifrit?

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 04-12-2016

(04-12-2016, 04:40 AM)Shoshopu Wrote: Do we know if Raubahn has ever had an encounter with Ifrit?
As far as I know, I don't think I ever heard of such.

RE: General Lore Questions - CalebAgron - 04-12-2016

So I was planning on an RP event, one that would involve Eorzean Faith and I need to make sure my knowledge of the twelve is immaculate. But the lore regarding FF seems so sparse, especially about the twelve. Anyone know a place I can go to read up on them, or any good sources? I would appreciate it!

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-13-2016

Okay, we know that the 6 first calamities were all related to one specific element of the wheel (Earth, Fire, etc). We know that the Allagan got wiped by Fire, and the Magi by Water, etc.

What was Bahamut since all elements were spent? Was it pure Umbral instead of elemental? Just unaspected?

( I must say that i'm a big fan of Ethys Asher interpretation of the elemental wheel related to Umbral/Astral poles also so that you see where i'm coming from )

Ethys Asher interpretation

RE: General Lore Questions - Seriphyn - 04-13-2016

(04-12-2016, 04:40 AM)Shoshopu Wrote: Do we know if Raubahn has ever had an encounter with Ifrit?

It is said in the early 2.0 memorial speeches by Alphinaud that Ul'dah regularly assembles armies to cut down Ifrit every time he rises. Presumably this was before the Scions.

So. Maybe?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-13-2016

(04-12-2016, 11:41 PM)CalebAgron Wrote: So I was planning on an RP event, one that would involve Eorzean Faith and I need to make sure my knowledge of the twelve is immaculate. But the lore regarding FF seems so sparse, especially about the twelve. Anyone know a place I can go to read up on them, or any good sources? I would appreciate it!

There isn't a ton of lore on the Twelve, but what we have I've tried compiling in the Eorzean Religion Masterpost. Hopefully that page can help you out!

Oh, something that's not in there that I need to go back and add. I recently found what could be a creation myth surrounding Byregot?

Diego Athral Wrote:They say a rolling stone gathers no moss, and these stones here look as if they have not moved an ilm since the great Byregot cast them down from the heavens...if you believe that sort of nonsense.

(04-13-2016, 05:27 AM)Valence Wrote: Okay, we know that the 6 first calamities were all related to one specific element of the wheel (Earth, Fire, etc). We know that the Allagan got wiped by Fire, and the Magi by Water, etc.

What was Bahamut since all elements were spent? Was it pure Umbral instead of elemental? Just unaspected?

Allag was actually earth, the order of Calamities goes like this:

1st Umbral Era (Wind) - War is waged between man and the Twelve go into slumber.

2nd Umbral Era (Lightning) - unknown

3rd Umbral Era (Fire) - unknown

4th Umbral Era (Earth) - Too much energy is siphoned into Syrcus Tower causing a massive earthquake which wipes out the Allagan Empire.

5th Umbral Era (Ice) - Age of Endless Frost

6th Umbral Era (Water) - The Great Flood caused by the War of the Magi

7th Umbral Era (Astral) - Bahamut's return.

8th Umbral Era (Umbral) - The return of Zodiark?

SPOILERS AHEAD
According to this latest patch, when speaking with Hydaelyn, she says the Ascians are trying to free Zodiark by destroying the 8 fetters that hold him in place. They've succeeded 7 times throughout history. 7 successes = 7 umbral calamities. Meaning there's an 8th coming that we need to prevent which will mark the return of Zodiark and the death of Hydaelyn, possibly. This suggests an 8th Calamity, which would fall in line with Hydaelyn's 8 elements: Ice, Water, Wind, Lightning, Fire, Earth, Astral, Umbral.

There's a bit of extremely convoluted lore involving elements and time over in the Units of Time and Measurement thread.

Hope this helps! ^^