Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - V'aleera - 07-10-2016

(07-09-2016, 05:34 PM)Valence Wrote: What makes the dragoons jump? The armour, or the thing in their blood? Or something else?

The few times it is mentioned (by both Estinien and Heustienne), they just vaguely refer to "training".

RE: General Lore Questions - Misteyes - 07-12-2016

(06-02-2016, 07:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: So, a little more on Ceruleum. It is made from refined aether. While the specific process is unknown, what we do know is that refineries artificially deaspect aether crystals and use the liquid residual as fuel. This process off-gasses a blue fog-like vapor, hence the Bluefog area surrounding the refinery.

This is the second time I've heard this, but I haven't seen its actual source. The bit about deaspecting crystals as part of the refining process doesn't appear to be in your quotes. The closest being the comment from a Conjurer about it being from "long dead life."

Do you (or anyone, really) have the original source for that laying around?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 07-26-2016

I have come across a lot of 'void touched' characters and... basically, what does that imply in the lore? I know about possessed by a voidsent, but what is being void touched exactly?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-26-2016

(07-26-2016, 08:59 AM)Valence Wrote: I have come across a lot of 'void touched' characters and... basically, what does that imply in the lore? I know about possessed by a voidsent, but what is being void touched exactly?

In a couple words, "usually headcanon."

There have been areas on the map that have been void-tainted, but that usually involved an aetherial hole to the void being opened. We also have groups of people like the Lambs of Dalamud and plenty of other "bad people/beastmen" that end up summoning voidsent when fighting them or during their "kill this person" levequests. But at the same time, anything beyond belief is also immediately said to be the work of the Void. So there is likely a lot being blamed there due to unknown causes.

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-26-2016

(07-26-2016, 09:56 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 08:59 AM)Valence Wrote: I have come across a lot of 'void touched' characters and... basically, what does that imply in the lore? I know about possessed by a voidsent, but what is being void touched exactly?

In a couple words, "usually headcanon."

There have been areas on the map that have been void-tainted, but that usually involved an aetherial hole to the void being opened. We also have groups of people like the Lambs of Dalamud and plenty of other "bad people/beastmen" that end up summoning voidsent when fighting them or during their "kill this person" levequests. But at the same time, anything beyond belief is also immediately said to be the work of the Void. So there is likely a lot being blamed there due to unknown causes.

http://xivdb.com/lore-finder?loresearch=void+touched

Unless I'm typing it wrong, I don't think it exists in the game at all.

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 07-26-2016

Void taint

is a word what does come up though. I legit have no idea if void touched is a thing, but I will looking after it once I wake up more.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 07-26-2016

Void taint if I remember correctly my White Mage lore and classquests, happens when voidsent corrupt aether around them and then that shit start spreading and threatens everything. Turning sprites into corrupted horrors and stuff like that.

Does it work on humans and beast tribes too? Like, sentient creatures?

Eschiva Wrote:Simply put, the taint is aether that has been befouled. If we are to be rid of it, we must find the source of the corruption and cleanse it.

Eschiva Wrote:My suspicions were correct─the taint has driven the fiends into a frenzy! Let us aid the knights, then see to the cleansing!

(07-26-2016, 03:17 PM)Valence Wrote: Void taint if I remember correctly my White Mage lore and classquests, happens when voidsent corrupt aether around them and then that shit start spreading and threatens everything. Turning sprites into corrupted horrors and stuff like that.

Does it work on humans and beast tribes too? Like, sentient creatures?

Eschiva Wrote:Simply put, the taint is aether that has been befouled. If we are to be rid of it, we must find the source of the corruption and cleanse it.

Eschiva Wrote:My suspicions were correct─the taint has driven the fiends into a frenzy! Let us aid the knights, then see to the cleansing!

I have not seen it affect living people/beast tribes in-game. I'd imagine it probably causes aethersickness though, but that's not really the "tainted" aether that "void touched," "void infected," or other "void tainted" players seem to refer to. (It's not the power of darkness or suffering or angst or whatever.)

RE: General Lore Questions - S'imba - 07-26-2016

Closest thing I know of is what happened with Nero...though I don't think much detail went into that.

RE: General Lore Questions - Caspar - 07-26-2016

The closest thing to that I can think of is probably the possession by voidsent implied in Haukke and seen in the Thaumaturge storyline. As for like, just being part voidsent or having their powers, it seems like fanon.

(07-26-2016, 04:59 PM)S Wrote: Closest thing I know of is what happened with Nero...though I don't think much detail went into that.

He was definitely void-corrupted to some extent. Although the magic of Garlean bromance friendship(?) or sheer will seemed to fix him up.

(07-26-2016, 05:02 PM)Caspar Wrote: The closest thing to that I can think of is probably the possession by voidsent implied in Haukke and seen in the Thaumaturge storyline. As for like, just being part voidsent or having their powers, it seems like fanon.

We see this in Haukke Manor [hard] though, don't we? The succubi turn those poor Wailers into voidsent. ...or more likely, summon a voidsent by sacrificing their flesh and blood.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 07-26-2016

I was actually thinking of the patients in Camp Bronze Lake that you cleanse as part of For Your Fellow Man. Depression and post-traumatic symptoms are seemingly cleansed, through the use of the spell Leeches, into mobs named Corrupted Aether.

...that's all I got, though. The quest doesn't really go into detail, it's just like "yeah these people are sick, help them," and that happens.

Actually Nym might hold the closest example for what you're looking at - I guess tonberries could loosely be described as "void-touched"...

IDK though, I'm just taking stabs in the dark. I don't really know what "void-touched" in the context of RP is supposed to mean either.

RE: General Lore Questions - Caspar - 07-26-2016

(07-26-2016, 05:03 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 04:59 PM)S Wrote: Closest thing I know of is what happened with Nero...though I don't think much detail went into that.

He was definitely void-corrupted to some extent. Although the magic of Garlean bromance friendship(?) or sheer will seemed to fix him up.

(07-26-2016, 05:02 PM)Caspar Wrote: The closest thing to that I can think of is probably the possession by voidsent implied in Haukke and seen in the Thaumaturge storyline. As for like, just being part voidsent or having their powers, it seems like fanon.

We see this in Haukke Manor [hard] though, don't we? The succubi turn those poor Wailers into voidsent. ...or more likely, summon a voidsent by sacrificing their flesh and blood.
Voidsent seem to definitely have the ability to "ride" into our dimension through the flesh pf sacrifices, but it doesn't seem to be much of a mutualistic or symbiotic existence that would leave a person behind. But thematically I suppose a player could come up with the explanation that an attempted summoning on them made their aether imbalanced, or more attractive to voidsent, or sth. I am just too fuzzy on how it's carried out to do much more than guess about the process.

(07-26-2016, 05:11 PM)Caspar Wrote:

Voidsent seem to definitely have the ability to "ride" into our dimension through the flesh pf sacrifices, but it doesn't seem to be much of a mutualistic or symbiotic existence that would leave a person behind. But thematically I suppose a player could come up with the explanation that an attempted summoning on them made their aether imbalanced, or more attractive to voidsent, or sth. I am just too fuzzy on how it's carried out to do much more than guess about the process.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. ...such a form of void-tainted-ness would likely kill its host and just summon a voidsent. Not provide a person with imbued darkness and powers beyond the mortal mind.

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-26-2016

(07-26-2016, 06:06 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 05:11 PM)Caspar Wrote:

That's exactly what I'm getting at. ...such a form of void-tainted-ness would likely kill its host and just summon a voidsent. Not provide a person with imbued darkness and powers beyond the mortal mind.
Yeah yeah but lores smores. I wanna be a demon lady.