Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 07-28-2016

Idle irresponsible and baseless speculation:

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-28-2016

(07-28-2016, 05:12 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Idle irresponsible and baseless speculation:

Show Content

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 07-28-2016

I don't mean all of it at once... I mean. Most of the "mortals turned voidsent" we see look pretty dead, right??

I guess it's still down for debate whether there's nothing left of their former personality because they died & were replaced by a separate being, or because their former selves were slowly depleted and transformed until unrecognisable...

Either way, it's pretty certain that they're "gone" (dead or destroyed or both), and that there is now a voidsent occupying the space that they used to occupy. I guess the mechanism by which it occurs is sort of inconsequential.

RE: General Lore Questions - Alexia Peregris - 07-28-2016

(07-28-2016, 05:55 PM)Kilieit Wrote: I don't mean all of it at once... I mean. Most of the "mortals turned voidsent" we see look pretty dead, right??

I guess it's still down for debate whether there's nothing left of their former personality because they died & were replaced by a separate being, or because their former selves were slowly depleted and transformed until unrecognisable...

Either way, it's pretty certain that they're "gone" (dead or destroyed or both), and that there is now a voidsent occupying the space that they used to occupy. I guess the mechanism by which it occurs is sort of inconsequential.
So I'm going to bring up a weird case regarding how voidsent take away your personality, which is the Forgall fight in Weeping City. When Forgall raises the dead sky pirates in the arena, they actually start talking and begging for mercy and lamenting their fate, and it seems unlikely Forgall is making them do that. And it's not like they've just been afflicted by the slow zombification like we get, they're dead when we get there. No other void risen dead people seem to do this, but maybe because all the others we've seen have been dead for a long time?

I suppose the pirates weren't exactly possessed, though it is kind of hard to say, but maybe you can be controlled by the void and not lose your memories and such?

As for summoning voidsent, oh yeah those guys who do it with rituals are for sure dead.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 07-28-2016

(07-28-2016, 05:12 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Idle irresponsible and baseless speculation:

Show Content

But it's kinda cool. I like the idea.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 07-29-2016

Yeah I assumed by default that Eda just allowed her beloved corpse to be possessed and bring all kinds of nasty with that. 

Sorry if I wasn't more accurate but I was actually wondering if there was anything shown ingame or the dungeons like Tam Tara that would show Eda to have any kind of weird void-esque powers of sorts?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-29-2016

(07-29-2016, 04:02 AM)Valence Wrote: Yeah I assumed by default that Eda just allowed her beloved corpse to be possessed and bring all kinds of nasty with that. 

Sorry if I wasn't more accurate but I was actually wondering if there was anything shown ingame or the dungeons like Tam Tara that would show Eda to have any kind of weird void-esque powers of sorts?

We had her sacrificial blood wedding as the final battle in Tam Tara hard mode. I'm assuming whatever she'd been planning to do with a body would have been completed had she successfully killed Paiyo Reiyo and the Warrior of Light [and friends].

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 07-29-2016

(07-29-2016, 11:05 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 04:02 AM)Valence Wrote: Yeah I assumed by default that Eda just allowed her beloved corpse to be possessed and bring all kinds of nasty with that. 

We had her sacrificial blood wedding as the final battle in Tam Tara hard mode. I'm assuming whatever she'd been planning to do with a body would have been completed had she successfully killed Paiyo Reiyo and the Warrior of Light [and friends].

This is pure personal conjecture but... she was in grief about her love being killed. Trying to bring him back got the head possessed by a voidsent, which likely started manipulating her by claiming she is her love returned or something similar. The blood wedding was likely just a ploy for the voidsent to gain more aether/power for its own personal gain. So, a success would likely would've meant gaining that aether/power that - and whatever other negative things that would've led to.

What sort of negative things? A more powerful flying head, a bigger one, or maybe even a more powerful form maybe? More voidsent being brought from the Void? Or perhaps just more ventures of a similar ilk (blood anniversaries?) to drain more aether from the world, leading to a long string of mysterious disappearances? Exactly what the negative things would've been is hard to say, since they were prevented from happening in the first place.

RE: General Lore Questions - S'imba - 07-29-2016

I kinda feel Edda would have to have some sort of void magic. She managed to continue to live on somehow after falling off a cliff. I probably shouldn't be be speculating on how she survived since I haven't finished the palace of the dead yet. But to still be around seems to be something bigger than conjury. Really can't imagine that's a power the elementals would allow. So really there's only a few ways she could do that. Void magic or the nefarious white magic we keep hearing about. I guess some sort of necromancy could be a thing too, but based on what was going on I'd say the most likely way is void magic.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-01-2016

Show Content

On aetherytes:

I'm pretty sure I already asked the question somewhere, but I can't quite find it back and also don't even remember if I was answered in the first place so...

Since we know they have fees (quite expensive at that) to finance the economic loss caused by the Calamity... Who collects the fees? Officials on site when people suddenly pop out of nowhere nearby? Fine then, but how do they even manage to tell from where the travelers TPed? What prevents someone to lie?

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 08-01-2016

I seem to recall that there's supposed to be an attendant nearby that you pay?? Can't remember where I read that though x_x

I mean presumably it's possible to tell where someone's just TP'd from something something aetheric signatures something something lingering resonance, but it seems like it'd be complicated and potentially expensive to make sure every single attendant had the ability to tell...

Maybe that's why there's a minimum fee of 100g for using any aetheryte from anywhere (fee reduction buffs notwithstanding).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE: General Lore Questions - S'imba - 08-01-2016

Probably relies on the honor system. Like those chocobo Porter rocks set up in the churning mists. When you use them it talks about leaving a some gil beside it. I'd imagine it's similar with the middle of nowhere aetherites as well. Who knows maybe there's a way to tell how far a person actually traveled by reading the residual aether. Some sort of parking meter to insert your gil. Place some sort of alarm on it if you don't pay your fees. 

Probably one of those things SE just intends to handwave away.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 08-01-2016

(08-01-2016, 11:43 AM)Valence Wrote: Since we know they have fees (quite expensive at that) to finance the economic loss caused by the Calamity... Who collects the fees? Officials on site when people suddenly pop out of nowhere nearby? Fine then, but how do they even manage to tell from where the travelers TPed? What prevents someone to lie?

From your old thread on the topic:

Camate Wrote:Why does it cost gil to use aetherytes?
Many aetheryte camps were destroyed during the Calamity, which necessitated their reconstruction. However, this came at great expense, and so teleportation fees must be collected to repay the as yet unpaid debt.

However, the gil doesn’t just magically disappear from your purse! Though it's not shown in the game, it's collected by the guards keeping watch of the aetherytes.

On a side note, guards posted by each city-state's aetheryte can tell you about aetherytes and teleportation magic. If you're interested, see what they have to say!

So, when you go talk to one of the guards, Nicia for example, she says this:

Nicia Wrote:Then why, you ask, must we pay gil when using Telport? Well, after the Calamity, many of the existing aetheryte camps were destroyed. To relocate and rebuild them required a large sum of money, much of which was lent by certain men of business from Ul'dah. The gil you pay when either leaving from or arriving at an aetheryte goes to paying off that debt.

So, if you're teleporting out to a remote aetheryte destination that has no guards, say Azys Lla or something, you would pay your fee in advance. However, if you're returning from an outlands area to relative civilization, you would likely pay upon arrival.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-02-2016

Yeah but it doesn't seem to address the problem at hand.

1) How exactly can they tell where you are going or from where you are coming?

2) You can also apparently TP out of nowhere in the desert in the direction of an aetheryte, you don't need to be close to one at first, just at your arrival.

RE: General Lore Questions - Yssen - 08-02-2016

(08-02-2016, 03:24 AM)Valence Wrote: Yeah but it doesn't seem to address the problem at hand.

1) How exactly can they tell where you are going or from where you are coming?

2) You can also apparently TP out of nowhere in the desert in the direction of an aetheryte, you don't need to be close to one at first, just at your arrival.

This is deduced by the fees themselves. They charge you based on distance. Which means they have some method of tracking that distance via the aetheryte itself or some other spell or device or what have you and charging you appropriately. Teleporting not via an aetheryte would seem to result in the Y'shtola and Thancred's current problems. Welcome to joyful world of paying for safe and monitored teleportation. Please do not use when trying to be sneaky.

EDIT - As for personal aetherytes in the residential wards, probably collected and monitored by those in charge of the wards.