Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-27-2016

On Voidsent hierarchy (old vid):

[youtube]zd1sVIYB9Mk[/youtube]

On Belias, Ascians and the Void vs Hydaelyn (old vid), first part is of interest:

[youtube]L7QRRvxmu28[/youtube]

Void Ark:

[youtube]qRHfPAFfbxk[/youtube]

Not sure if it answers to everything since it's a lot of musings, but well.

Edit: before anyone starts yelling, I think that what he means by Void and Void creatures being filled with Aether is that voidsent consume Aether and are known to be born out of the aether seeping in the Void... which is devoid of everything. Not that the Void is aether in its own way, certainly not.

RE: General Lore Questions - walka767 - 08-28-2016

I had a few lore questions if someone doesn't mind givin' me a hand.

Pretty new to RPing, and just today starting to work on a profile for the RPC Library. Back in the day I had a real PVP binge, and I was wanting to incorporate it into my character. My idea was to have him be an Immortal Flame who got sucked into the Frontlines skirmishes, and down the road was suspended for a reason I haven't quite put together yet. That time during he was suspended let him dip into the crime world, and even though the suspension's up and he'd be back, he'd be a lower rank (a la adventurer level, I think I saw something about free brigade?) to give more wiggle room for more criminal or just FC shenanigans. 

So what I was curious about is if this was something I could do, and what the actual lore is behind Frontlines. I always assumed it was some sort of training or mock battle, but I do remember a bit in the story about a lalafell trying to get some mega weapon I think?

RE: General Lore Questions - Charity322 - 08-29-2016

Which Vigil did House Haillenarte lose to the Dravanians? I thought I'd read that it was the Stone Vigil, but Lord Francel just told me that it was the Steel Vigil.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kage - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 10:35 AM)Charity322 Wrote: Which Vigil did House Haillenarte lose to the Dravanians? I thought I'd read that it was the Stone Vigil, but Lord Francel just told me that it was the Steel Vigil.

House Haillenarte lost both Vigils. You can find some of the lore about that in the thread about the four houses here.

(08-28-2016, 06:09 PM)walka767 Wrote: So what I was curious about is if this was something I could do, and what the actual lore is behind Frontlines. I always assumed it was some sort of training or mock battle, but I do remember a bit in the story about a lalafell trying to get some mega weapon I think?
Carteneau Flats is where the final battle of 1.0 happened and where Bahamut unleashed his rampage. There are allagan remains found at the Flats that all three city-states cannot agree on what is the best course of action to deal with them. As such you have 'non-lethal' battles though accidents do occur.

Dialogue about frontlines course can be found here, http://xivdb.com/quest/67065/Like+Civilized+Men+And+Women+(Immortal+Flames)

In the 2.3 patch (Defenders of Eorzea) MSQ, refugee violence was incited in no small part by Teledji Adeledji who wanted the violence to push forward the Carteneau Reclamation (Act/Bill) in order to get the access of the weapon only known as 'Omega' (nothing else is really mentioned afaik).

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 08-29-2016

Summons... where do they come from and are they coming willingly? How close to the DnD/FR lore is it?

[Image: Platinum-Demo-FF-XV-8-600x338.jpg]

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 01:51 PM)Stardust Wrote: Summons... where do they come from and are they coming willingly? How close to the DnD/FR lore is it?

There are a few different forms of "summons" in FFXIV. I'll go a little bit into each one, which should help in looking for the right lore for the ones you're interested in!

There are:
  • Carbuncles - Aetherial beings summoned by Arcanists. The jewel and geometries used determine their skills and actions. Emerald Carbuncle, Topaz Carbuncle, Ruby, etc. They're basically a small split of the caster's aether and their autonomy is dependent on the caster.

• Primals - Typically what you'd see as the named summons in previous Final Fantasy games. Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva, Garuda, Titan, Leviathan, etc. These are thoughts and ideas given form. Typically, they're the god of a Beast Tribe and are worshipped. They're fully aetherial beings as well, but unlike a carbuncle, there is no single caster. They are summoned with crystals and faith/prayer and once being brought into being, seek out aether and followers to maintain their forms. 

• Eikons - Garlean term for Primals taken from the Allags. There are however, Elder Primals (also called Eikons) who may or may not have ever been summoned to begin with. Little is known about them.

• Primal-Egi - The essence of  a primal given form by a single caster using the Allagan summoning arts. In order  to summon the egi of a primal, the caster needs to have been "washed over" with their essence in order to give it form. Unlike Primals, they carry no will of their own and like carbuncles, are only as autonomous as the caster allows.

• Faeries - An artificial Scholar companion used to give the Scholar access  to Succor (healing magic used by the Elementals). We currently know of the Eos and Selene stances, but there could be more. 

(08-28-2016, 06:09 PM)walka767 Wrote: I had a few lore questions if someone doesn't mind givin' me a hand.

Pretty new to RPing, and just today starting to work on a profile for the RPC Library. Back in the day I had a real PVP binge, and I was wanting to incorporate it into my character. My idea was to have him be an Immortal Flame who got sucked into the Frontlines skirmishes, and down the road was suspended for a reason I haven't quite put together yet. That time during he was suspended let him dip into the crime world, and even though the suspension's up and he'd be back, he'd be a lower rank (a la adventurer level, I think I saw something about free brigade?) to give more wiggle room for more criminal or just FC shenanigans. 

So what I was curious about is if this was something I could do, and what the actual lore is behind Frontlines. I always assumed it was some sort of training or mock battle, but I do remember a bit in the story about a lalafell trying to get some mega weapon I think?

The concept looks fine to me. I didn't see anything that looks infeasible.

for the Frontlines, Carteneau is an area that was damaged during The Calamity, 5 years before a Realm Reborn takes place. It was a battleground between the Eorzean Alliance (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, and Ul'dah) and tyhe Garlean Empire. The game will explain it bit in detail, but the general gist of things is that there's a bunch of Allagan relics buried beneath the land. Because the territory is unclaimed, all three major city-states wants a piece of it. In order to go about this without engaging in full-scale war on each other, the Grand Companies compete with each other, and that's how we got Frontlines PvP in game.

The Lalafell you're thinking of is Teledji Adeledji, who is one of the Ul'dahn Syndicate members. (Top 10 richest people in Ul'dah. ...think of them as like the 1%, but with actual political power).

RE: General Lore Questions - Welkin - 08-29-2016

Hey, also a new RPer over here! I'm currently working on getting into Balmung (for free, since I've no extra money on hand for a transfer...)

I was wondering if it's plausible for an Ishgardian to have been a Warrior of Light at Carteneau? The character I'm creating at the moment is the younger brother of a Warrior of Light, and a lot of his motivations rely on searching for / coming to terms with his possibly-deceased sister (a forgotten WoL). He's the fourth son of a minor noble house called Archambault, but seventh child overall.

So, if he's on the hunt for his WoL sibling, just how much would he remember about her? I know that any memories of the original Warriors are fuzzy if the person doesn't have the Echo, which I'm assuming he wouldn't since that'd be OP?

Also, another quick thing - I planned on making my character have an obsession with flying, and harbor a fair amount of disdain towards the clergy and how Ishgard is run (as a strict theocracy during the Dragonsong War). Would it be plausible to make him a Garlean sympathizer and/or a heretic? So far, his thirst for flying comes from general wanderlust and having a chance to one day show his WoL sister the world's skies. I thought that might coincide with wanting peace with dragons, or perhaps naively believing that Garlemald would be able to better rule Ishgard and end the war faster?

...If these questions belong in a different thread, my apologies! I can move 'em if it's better suited for, like, Character Workshop. Thank you!

(08-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Welkin Wrote: Hey, also a new RPer over here! I'm currently working on getting into Balmung (for free, since I've no extra money on hand for a transfer...)

Welcome to the RPC! I'll try to answer in chunks. I do know we've got some good writeups on Ishgardian lore and Warrior of Light (both 1.0-style and 2.0 style) by Sounsyy here. Search tool should pull up a lot of references!

(08-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Welkin Wrote: I was wondering if it's plausible for an Ishgardian to have been a Warrior of Light at Carteneau? The character I'm creating at the moment is the younger brother of a Warrior of Light, and a lot of his motivations rely on searching for / coming to terms with his possibly-deceased sister (a forgotten WoL). He's the fourth son of a minor noble house called Archambault, but seventh child overall.

Ishgard had pretty much refused to help out with the Battle at Carteneau, citing that their dragon problem was more important that the rest of the land being conquered by the Garlean Empire. It's very unlikely any of them would have took part it in on any official means. There's no clear-cut "absolutely guaranteed there were no Ishgardians present" piece of text I've ever encountered, but the likelihood is pretty low unless that person had already left Ishgard prior-to or was possibly exiled.

(08-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Welkin Wrote: So, if he's on the hunt for his WoL sibling, just how much would he remember about her? I know that any memories of the original Warriors are fuzzy if the person doesn't have the Echo, which I'm assuming he wouldn't since that'd be OP?

There's a lot already written on this specifically, but the general idea was exactly that. Memories of the 1.0 Warriors of Light have basically vanished without explanation, only remembers as a person standing in a light so bright, they could not be seen. For family members, RPers have come up with their own hadcanons about it. Some choose to imagine the person is just outright forgotten. Others may have believed to have simply done away or disappeared. You'd have room to work with stuff here, but the last thing a person would suspect was "oh, my brother/sister must have been a Warrior of Light!" It's more like the magic prevents them from being remembered. Even your fellow Scions don't remember you until another character who does points it out.

(08-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Welkin Wrote: Also, another quick thing - I planned on making my character have an obsession with flying, and harbor a fair amount of disdain towards the clergy and how Ishgard is run (as a strict theocracy during the Dragonsong War). Would it be plausible to make him a Garlean sympathizer and/or a heretic? So far, his thirst for flying comes from general wanderlust and having a chance to one day show his WoL sister the world's skies. I thought that might coincide with wanting peace with dragons, or perhaps naively believing that Garlemald would be able to better rule Ishgard and end the war faster?

Garlean sympathizers exist. People with disdain for Ishgard's govenment exist. Ishgard would likely brand your character a heretic and either try to get them killed or exiled, if being friendly. (But Ishgard will claim anyone's a heretic if they can find enough "proof" to get it done).

(08-29-2016, 05:25 PM)Welkin Wrote: ...If these questions belong in a different thread, my apologies! I can move 'em if it's better suited for, like, Character Workshop. Thank you!

I'd recommend opening a Character Workshop thread for stuff specific to your character, keeping the Lore board strictly lore/reference. Because both Lore Discussion and Character Workshop were split off from RP Discussion, you'll find there are many threads with a lot of overlap, which is fine! We're not too strict around here, but it helps make searching a little easier for future reference. :>

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 08-29-2016

I have a not-on-Balmung character whose relative was a Carteneau Warrior of Light - his mum. All he knows is that she mysteriously disappeared five years ago, and he's looking for her to try and at least find closure on her semi-inevitable death.

He doesn't even remember that she used to be an adventurer. Her husband doesn't remember either.

Or the names of any of her friends (because they, obviously, were also at Carteneau).

It's sad. :'3

I'd pay attention to Una Tayuun's dialogue. She's a miqo'te NPC in the Waking Sands from your first visit there until after Titan, and she and her friends used to (presumably) be Warriors of Light. Her dialogue is pretty revealing of what the memory loss is like on the Warrior's side of things.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-03-2016

I got all curious about the Heavens Ward suddenly. Where do they draw their nasty powers (I HAVE THE POWER), besides that it seems to be implied that Ascians probably initiated them? What kind of magic is it (THIS SHALL BE A MERCY)? What kind of info do we have on that?

I think I didn't pay enough attention to that stuff when I ran through  the MSQ the first time.

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 09-03-2016

(09-03-2016, 02:33 PM)Valence Wrote: I got all curious about the Heavens Ward suddenly. Where do they draw their nasty powers (I HAVE THE POWER), besides that it seems to be implied that Ascians probably initiated them? What kind of magic is it (THIS SHALL BE A MERCY)? What kind of info do we have on that?

I think I didn't pay enough attention to that stuff when I ran through  the MSQ the first time.

They were already all extremely skilled in battle beforehand, but the transformations and increased powers come from them being Primals the same way Thordan VII is. They're drawing on the same summoning as him to become Primal versions of the original twelve knights. They also may be tempered, but that hasn't been totally confirmed.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-04-2016

(08-29-2016, 04:30 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 01:51 PM)Stardust Wrote: Summons... where do they come from and are they coming willingly? How close to the DnD/FR lore is it?

There are a few different forms of "summons" in FFXIV. I'll go a little bit into each one, which should help in looking for the right lore for the ones you're interested in!

There are:
  • Carbuncles - Aetherial beings summoned by Arcanists. The jewel and geometries used determine their skills and actions. Emerald Carbuncle, Topaz Carbuncle, Ruby, etc. They're basically a small split of the caster's aether and their autonomy is dependent on the caster.

• Primals - Typically what you'd see as the named summons in previous Final Fantasy games. Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva, Garuda, Titan, Leviathan, etc. These are thoughts and ideas given form. Typically, they're the god of a Beast Tribe and are worshipped. They're fully aetherial beings as well, but unlike a carbuncle, there is no single caster. They are summoned with crystals and faith/prayer and once being brought into being, seek out aether and followers to maintain their forms. 

• Eikons - Garlean term for Primals taken from the Allags. There are however, Elder Primals (also called Eikons) who may or may not have ever been summoned to begin with. Little is known about them.

• Primal-Egi - The essence of  a primal given form by a single caster using the Allagan summoning arts. In order  to summon the egi of a primal, the caster needs to have been "washed over" with their essence in order to give it form. Unlike Primals, they carry no will of their own and like carbuncles, are only as autonomous as the caster allows.

• Faeries - An artificial Scholar companion used to give the Scholar access  to Succor (healing magic used by the Elementals). We currently know of the Eos and Selene stances, but there could be more. 

Excellent answer, thanks.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-04-2016

I'm in search of detailed lore on what the pieces of Balmung do to the land around where they are found (specifically very large chunks). I went with this as a huge part of my miqo'te and her clan's story based entirely off watching the intro movie and wondering what happens to the land where the debris falls. Luckily (and ironically) for me, it seems much of the main story for a Gridania start-up... is my characters backstory minus a few details. o.O

So anyroad, explain away in detail for a lore newb (spoilers okay).

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 03:23 AM)Stardust Wrote: I'm in search of detailed lore on what the pieces of Balmung do to the land around where they are found (specifically very large chunks). I went with this as a huge part of my miqo'te and her clan's story based entirely off watching the intro movie and wondering what happens to the land where the debris falls. Luckily (and ironically) for me, it seems much of the main story for a Gridania start-up... is my characters backstory minus a few details. o.O

So anyroad, explain away in detail for a lore newb (spoilers okay).

Do you mean, Dalamud the moon, the loyal hound of Memphina?

Then you just have to wander around a lot of areas (Thanalan Burning Rocks, La Noscea East near Castrum Marineris and especially the North Shroud). The scars of the fall of Dalamud are clearly visible. Huge and tall crystalized parts of corrupted aether spring out of the land everywhere a massive chunk of it fell.

Gridania is said to have been the most impacted by the fall and the Elementals are extremely weakened from this as a result. The land is slowly healing, but there is a resurgence of all kind of tainted shit running around, twisted by all those corrupted aether seeping into the land (Fukushima style).

If you go watch a bit about the Binding Coil of Bahamut raid series, you can see the pieces of the moon are still more or less intact and functional and run deeeeeep into the ground (more than thousand malms under). And somehow seem to have some kind of self sustaining/self repairing nano machinery that slowly pieces everything back together pretty organically. You can go from La Noscea to Northern Thanalan through there, as seen at the end of BCoB T5.

The question might be... what is the source of all that corrupted aether? I would be tempted to say, it's from Bahamut itself... but... somehow I'm not especially satisfied with that answer.