Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 05:49 AM)Valence Wrote: The question might be... what is the source of all that corrupted aether? I would be tempted to say, it's from Bahamut itself... but... somehow I'm not especially satisfied with that answer.

It might have something to do with that technology in Azys Lla that can create matter from nothing. I can imagine that in a system where all life and matter is born from a self-sustaining cycle of aether, introducing artificial matter would have some bad side effects.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-04-2016

Mh, I don't remember about that thing, where can we learn about it in Azys Lla?

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 05:59 AM)Valence Wrote: Mh, I don't remember about that thing, where can we learn about it in Azys Lla?
In the Warring Triad questline. Specifically, in the latest addition, when you chase Hydrus into the Research Facility.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-04-2016

I rewatched the final curtain video for the closing of 1.0 and it seems to me that all that crystalized, corrupted aether is probably the result of the conflagration between the final spell used by Louisoix and the unleashing of Bahamut energies. We see clearly that when both meet, the meteor stops just before reaching the ground, and long coils of magick soon turn into crystal (which are still here today, pointing to the sky).

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 05:49 AM)Valence Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 03:23 AM)Stardust Wrote: I'm in search of detailed lore on what the pieces of Balmung do to the land around where they are found (specifically very large chunks). I went with this as a huge part of my miqo'te and her clan's story based entirely off watching the intro movie and wondering what happens to the land where the debris falls. Luckily (and ironically) for me, it seems much of the main story for a Gridania start-up... is my characters backstory minus a few details. o.O

So anyroad, explain away in detail for a lore newb (spoilers okay).

Do you mean, Dalamud the moon, the loyal hound of Memphina?

Then you just have to wander around a lot of areas (Thanalan Burning Rocks, La Noscea East near Castrum Marineris and especially the North Shroud). The scars of the fall of Dalamud are clearly visible. Huge and tall crystalized parts of corrupted aether spring out of the land everywhere a massive chunk of it fell.

Gridania is said to have been the most impacted by the fall and the Elementals are extremely weakened from this as a result. The land is slowly healing, but there is a resurgence of all kind of tainted shit running around, twisted by all those corrupted aether seeping into the land (Fukushima style).

If you go watch a bit about the Binding Coil of Bahamut raid series, you can see the pieces of the moon are still more or less intact and functional and run deeeeeep into the ground (more than thousand malms under). And somehow seem to have some kind of self sustaining/self repairing nano machinery that slowly pieces everything back together pretty organically. You can go from La Noscea to Northern Thanalan through there, as seen at the end of BCoB T5.

The question might be... what is the source of all that corrupted aether? I would be tempted to say, it's from Bahamut itself... but... somehow I'm not especially satisfied with that answer.

Yes, I meant Dalamud. I should'nt be writing forum posts so late after bedtime! Blush

RE: General Lore Questions - Graves - 09-04-2016

Anyone know the effects of prolonged exposure to ceruleum?

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-06-2016

How does death and the afterlife work for Eorzeans?

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 09-06-2016

RE death:

Show Content

Truthfully, there is no "afterlife". Once a soul's aether has returned to the Aetherial Realm via the lifestream, that's it for that individual. Their aether will be recycled eventually, but they won't be the same person.

I believe aether exits Eorzea for the Aetherial Realm via a breach located in Silvertear Lake in Mor Dhona.

Regarding some types of "rebirth" shown in the MSQ:

Show Content

Additionally:

- Undead exist. They're created either by some manner of preventing the soul from exiting Eorzea to begin with, or by animating the corpse without the presence of its original inhabitant. (Want to bring your dead lover back from the afterlife? Do you want Voidsent? Because this is how you get Voidsent.)

- Religious beliefs about an Afterlife do exist. You hear NPCs talking about the dead "feasting in Thal's realm now", and about how Halone takes the souls of the righteous unto her bosom.

I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting but it's about 9am and I haven't slept so :'3

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-09-2016

Thank you for the answers!

I've moved into a totally different subject in trying to read up on Raen and Doma... and finding very little out there. My primary question at the moment is wondering if Doma truly is similar to edo era Japan as has been suggested, how are women treated? Would it be like the rest of the FFXIV setting where they are allowed the same rights to own a business and prosper without the need of a male leader in the family? Or would it be more restricted such as it was for that period and region?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 09-09-2016

(09-09-2016, 06:01 PM)Stardust Wrote: I've moved into a totally different subject in trying to read up on Raen and Doma... and finding very little out there. My primary question at the moment is wondering if Doma truly is similar to edo era Japan as has been suggested, how are women treated? Would it be like the rest of the FFXIV setting where they are allowed the same rights to own a business and prosper without the need of a male leader in the family? Or would it be more restricted such as it was for that period and region?

It's hard to say, exactly, as we don't really get to see Doma first hand. However, all Doman women have so far been treated with a good deal of respect from their peers and counterparts that I can recall off hand. For instance, Yugiri is the respected leader of all the Doman refugees in Eorzea. Oboro practically throws himself at the feet of Princess Yatsurugi no Yuki. Tsubame seems to be as respected a member of the shinobi as any of the others. So, though loosely based upon Edo-era Japan, Doma seems to follow the trend of the Eorzean city-states where women are thought of and treated as equals.

More collected lore on the Raen Au Ra and Doma can be found in the following links. Hope this helps! ^^
-Race Lore Masterpost
-Raen & Doma Lore
-Au Ra Naming Conventions & Raen Lore

(09-06-2016, 03:12 AM)Stardust Wrote: How does death and the afterlife work for Eorzeans?

Kilieit covered it mostly, but wanted to throw a couple of additional links at you:
-Aether & Lifestream Lore
-Lore on Death
-Necromancy, Undead, and Void Possession Lore
-Order of Nald'thal Lore
-Eorzean Religious Beliefs Lore

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-11-2016

I was thinking the same based on the examples we already have in game. It might have added an element of story/rp and conflict source if they were treated the same as the actual historic period, but perhaps square wants a more modern styled family friendly game setting.

RE: General Lore Questions - CrimsonMars - 09-11-2016

I forget. In the Ul'dean coliseum, do they actually fight to the death or is that forbidden? Also, would there be any circumstances for fighting there? (Prizes, punishment, etc)

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 09-11-2016

(09-11-2016, 07:09 PM)CrimsonMars Wrote: I forget. In the Ul'dean coliseum, do they actually fight to the death or is that forbidden? Also, would there be any circumstances for fighting there? (Prizes, punishment, etc)
I found Sounsyy's post on gladiator lore, so I will save Souns the trouble of having to find it themselves Tongue

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12350&pid=195999#pid195999

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-13-2016

Looking for suggestions on where you'd possibly find a elezen noble house somewhat near locations where seeker clans are known to exist. Or am I overlooking an obvious answer - Ul'dah? >_>

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 02:17 PM)Stardust Wrote: Looking for suggestions on where you'd possibly find a elezen noble house somewhat near locations where seeker clans are known to exist. Or am I overlooking an obvious answer - Ul'dah? >_>

Well, when you say noble house, that is based upon where you're wanting Elezen nobility to exist and to which standards of nobility. Most often, you'd associate a true Elezen noble house with Ishgard. So you'd be looking for Miqo'te populations near Coerthas. Though, if you're wanting an Elezen noble house in Ul'dah, you'd have to appeal to Ul'dah's standards of nobility, which are a bit different than Ishgard's.

Here's a thread on Eorzean Nobility that clarifies this more.

Both Elezen and Seeker Miqo'te can be found anywhere in Eorzea, so it's really all about where you want to set this character or story and how nobility will play into it. Here's a(n outdated) thread on Miqo'te Seeker distribution and populations shown in game. Note, it's from 2.2 or 2.3 so obviously more Miqo'te have been added since.

-Seeker Population Distribution

Or, you could use this map as reference that I marked up for an older thread. Red shaded areas indicate in-game Miqo'te populations as of ARR, since some people aren't fond of using 1.0 as a reference wherein Miqo'te could also be found in Coerthas.

[Image: kVK62B7.png]

Hope this helps! ^^