Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-13-2016

Mhh...

What is in Pagith'an? East of Uld'ah?

RE: General Lore Questions - Melkire - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 03:49 PM)Valence Wrote: Mhh...

What is in Pagith'an? East of Uld'ah?

Pagl'than is home to the Amalj'aa. Beyond that, I'm not sure if the game ever goes into any significant detail.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 03:49 PM)Valence Wrote: What is in Pagith'an? East of Uld'ah?

Paglth'an is the Amalj'aa homeland. We know only that it's accessible via southern Thanalan and that it is little else but arid grasslands that border Thanalan, the Bay of Dha'yuz, and the south Shroud. Little else is known about the place. You are briefly taken to Paglth'an's border in the 1.0 MSQ where you witness the summoning of Ifrit.

Hamujj Gah Wrote:We, the Amalj'aa, were once simple nomads who roamed the vast plains of Paglth'an. If any sought to impede our path, we relished the challenge to our skill at arms. For as long as our people have existed, it has been the tradition of aging warriors to make the pilgrimage to the holy land of Zanr'ak, and there confront the specter of death. It is an honor to cast one's time-tempered soul into the sacred flames, and return one's body to ash.

But these craven whelps of Zahar'ak quaver before death's inevitability - they seek not to fortify their spirits, instead groveling before a deity for the strength they do not deserve.

Sightseeing Vista #059 Wrote:Zahar'ak
Loosely translated as "land of perseverance," Zahar'ak is a forward stronghold for the Amalj'aa host based in Zanr'ak. The beast tribe believes the scorched plains of Thanalan to be hallowed ground blessed by the cleansing flames of their primal deity, Ifrit, and as such are intent on driving from the land all whom they deem invaders.

Paglth'an Discus Wrote:A brightly colored fish native to the warm waters in and around the Amalj'aa territory of Paglth'an. The fact that the wavekin has been spotted in locations distant from their stronghold has led Ul'dahn officials to worry that the beast tribe may be seeding other rivers and lakes with the fish in preparation for the Amalj'aa's advancement into those lands.

Elezen Male Path Companion Wrote:I have learned from the Ashcrown Consortium linkpearl that the sylphs have sighted one of the Paragons making his way towards the Amalj'aa stronghold in Paglth'an. If fortune smiles upon us, perhaps we can find this traveler and enlist his aid. Make your preparations and meet me in southern Thanalan, at the gates of Paglth'an. We shall deliver our entreaties together.

??? Wrote:You went to Paglth'an!? Have you taken leave of all your senses!? You could have been killed! Then again, your bravery will more than likely earn you the praises of the smallfolk. There is no love for the Amalj'aa here in the sultanate.

??? Wrote:You say you saw others who were captured by the Amalj'aa? Were there any who looked like me? You see, I am searching for my sister. She was traveling through southern Thanalan when her chocobo coach was attacked by beastmen raiders. They never found any bodies, so I still hope that she may simply be in a cell somewhere in Paglth'an. Yet I worry for her safety. Please tell me you saw her!

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-13-2016

That's a really nice resource! I don't know what I want to do yet, but it will certainly help me figure that out. You're the best Sounsyy. Big Grin

RE: General Lore Questions - FlatulentUnicorn - 09-15-2016

Do we know of any magic specifically originating from Sharlayan? With all the books they keep, I reckoned there'd be some.

Edit: I've done some quick digging but all I could find was that they turn frogs into porrogos who are basically froggified housemaids

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 09-15-2016

The type of Astrologian that you play in-game is a Sharlayan discipline.

(There exists a job in Ishgard which is titled "Astrologian" as well, but it involves far less casting of spells and far more looking at books to figure out when dragons are going to attack.)

I can also think off the top of my head of a number of artefacts and objects in the MSQ, created by Sharlayans, that do pretty unique things with the aether. (Not being more specific because spoilers.) The nation is basically a plot device factory.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 11:11 AM)FlatulentUnicorn Wrote: Do we know of any magic specifically originating from Sharlayan? With all the books they keep, I reckoned there'd be some.

Edit: I've done some quick digging but all I could find was that they turn frogs into porrogos who are basically froggified housemaids

Astrologian. Specifically, the type of Astrologian we have available to us as players. It's the Sharlayan (original) denomination. Ishgardians then took a modified form that was only used for Dragonsong War purposes.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that any of the magic being used by Matoya, Y'shtola, Krile, or any of the other Scions was also likely practiced there as well.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-15-2016

I think you might find a few answers here

Of course Astrology is not the only magical science used by Sharlayan. I would wager that they actually tend to integrate every kind of magic there is to learn.

But for stuff directly originating from them, yeah, astrology for sure, probably poroggos (unless it's specific to Matoya), and possibly magicked brooms (that are seen all across Eorzea).

Seeing the kind of spells Y'shtola or even Louisoix seem to cast, they seem to have access to very powerful magicks.

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 09-15-2016

What was the general consensus on the after life in Eorzea again? I know there was a thread on it, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

I know the Ishgardians believe they go to the Halls of Halone, even going as far as believing it is a group of stars. I know there is the Realm of Nald'thal the Ul'dahn seem to be obsessed landing into but...

Didn't each respective God/Goddess have their own respective realm/hall/whatever their believers would join in their after life.

Of course we know they got to the lifestream, but I'm asking what the Eorzeans believed again.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 02:29 PM)Virella Wrote: What was the general consensus on the after life in Eorzea again? I know there was a thread on it, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

I know the Ishgardians believe they go to the Halls of Halone, even going as far as believing it is a group of stars. I know there is the Realm of Nald'thal the Ul'dahn seem to be obsessed landing into but...

Didn't each respective God/Goddess have their own respective realm/hall/whatever their believers would join in their after life.

Of course we know they got to the lifestream, but I'm asking what the Eorzeans believed again.

try these ones.

RE: Ul'dah and unclaimed bodies?

RE: Thaumaturgy and the Order of Nald'Thal (Lore Questions)

RE: Religious texts and their influence in Eorzea

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 02:46 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 02:29 PM)Virella Wrote: What was the general consensus on the after life in Eorzea again? I know there was a thread on it, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

try these ones.

RE: Ul'dah and unclaimed bodies?

RE: Thaumaturgy and the Order of Nald'Thal (Lore Questions)

RE: Religious texts and their influence in Eorzea
Still don't see what I was looking for, so I'm going to wait for someone to throw the answer to me!

But thanks anyhow, Franz Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - V'aleera - 09-15-2016

Are you looking for the text about the different kinds of "heavens" discussed in the Astrologian quests? If so, go to this link: http://xivdb.com/lore-finder?loresearch=heaven

And use ctrl+F to search for: TEXT_JOBAST

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 09-16-2016

(09-15-2016, 11:39 PM)V Wrote: Are you looking for the text about the different kinds of "heavens" discussed in the Astrologian quests? If so, go to this link: http://xivdb.com/lore-finder?loresearch=heaven

And use ctrl+F to search for: TEXT_JOBAST
No, the realms of the Gods people think they go to in their after life.

I thought every respective god has their hall their believers go to, but I cannot for the life of me find the quote of lore on it.

But thank you anyhow!

RE: General Lore Questions - KoharuIyashi - 09-17-2016

A question about Raens and Xaelas. Are the two race hostile to the other race? Or are they just two different race with different culture and lifestyle, and really have nothing toward the other race?

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 09-17-2016

Some Xaela tribes are hostile to all outsiders, Raen or Hyur or Xaela.

Only one Xaela tribe is recorded to accept Raen as members (the Malaguld, who take exiled Raen and the like).

It seems, from various texts, like there's a fair amount of animosity between the two clans, or varying intensities and seriousness depending on the individuals involved.

--

In roleplay/fanon, I've come across the idea fairly often that Domans and, by association, the Raen tend to view the Xaela in the manner Eorzeans view Beastmen.