Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-17-2016

It sounds a bit extreme as an analogy though. As far as I know there is no eorzean beast tribe with human bodies, unlike the xaelas that are of the same race than the raen. If Domans saw xaelas as beastmen in the same fashion than eorzeans, then they would see raen as beastmean too... Which would excluse raen from living in Doma. Unless there is something we don't know and somehow raen are actually living like second class citizens/animals in Doma, which I find unlikely.

They both seem to originate from the same group, except one has chosen to abandon the nomadic lifestyle while the other has chosen to carry on with it.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 09-17-2016

I think you're underestimating potential prejudices about that nomadic lifestyle.

What the Domans get to see isn't "ah, they're just like the Raen but with different coloured scales". They see "ah, they're like Raen with different scales, and the bulk of them are unpredictable, potentially violent, and not amenable to trade".

So you get the Xaela being viewed as this group of generally violent people, who can't be negotiated with, and are better avoided especially by non-combatants...

RE: General Lore Questions - Dreams of Priapia - 09-17-2016

Here's a simple question I have, as it bears some importance with a small portion of the backstory I've been gravitating towards:

How much effect do the seasons hold upon Eorzea? When Winter falls, what areas would be blanketed in snow or even feel its touch? 

Perhaps more specifically, is there anything to suggest how Mor Dhona might be affected by Winter? I would personally imagine that accompanied by the barren landscape and the presence of a large body of water, it could be possible, though without having quested there I want to hear from someone else.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-18-2016

(09-17-2016, 05:02 PM)Kilieit Wrote: I think you're underestimating potential prejudices about that nomadic lifestyle.

What the Domans get to see isn't "ah, they're just like the Raen but with different coloured scales". They see "ah, they're like Raen with different scales, and the bulk of them are unpredictable, potentially violent, and not amenable to trade".

So you get the Xaela being viewed as this group of generally violent people, who can't be negotiated with, and are better avoided especially by non-combatants...

I don't disagree with that, but I also do disagree that it's anything close to comparisons and analogies with beast tribes and how they are treated in Eorzea. To my eyes that is purely racial issue, unlike the more general xenophobic approach you can have toward a bunch of aggressive bandits roaming around.

Granted, if those xaela look enough like animals, I can totally see some domans snorting at them that way though! But they are still human, unlike beastmen.

(09-17-2016, 07:08 PM)Dreams of Priapia Wrote: Here's a simple question I have, as it bears some importance with a small portion of the backstory I've been gravitating towards:

How much effect do the seasons hold upon Eorzea? When Winter falls, what areas would be blanketed in snow or even feel its touch? 

Perhaps more specifically, is there anything to suggest how Mor Dhona might be affected by Winter? I would personally imagine that accompanied by the barren landscape and the presence of a large body of water, it could be possible, though without having quested there I want to hear from someone else.

Don't hold my word for that since I would be unable to find back where I read about it, but I was pretty sure that The Shroud for example, gets to be blanketed in snow during winter.

(09-16-2016, 12:22 AM)Virella Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 11:39 PM)V Wrote: Are you looking for the text about the different kinds of "heavens" discussed in the Astrologian quests? If so, go to this link: http://xivdb.com/lore-finder?loresearch=heaven

And use ctrl+F to search for: TEXT_JOBAST
No, the realms of the Gods people think they go to in their after life.

I thought every respective god has their hall their believers go to, but I cannot for the life of me find the quote of lore on it.

But thank you anyhow!

I know it's rather succint and vague, but if that is of any help, Gridanians seem to often refer to "going back to the Matron's Bosom", which directly refers to the fertile earth that gives birth to every life in their view.

The dead seem also to be burried in gridanian fashion under burial mounds, as seen above the Tam-Tara.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-18-2016

(09-17-2016, 05:02 PM)Kilieit Wrote: I think you're underestimating potential prejudices about that nomadic lifestyle.

As per relations between the two groups I took a subtle cue from the game material. The Xaela are likened to the mongols and the roaming hoards. It's probably pure speculation but I treat the relationships in a similar vein as the Japanese and Mongols. In my rp the Doman Raen view Xeala as crude and violent wanderers who lack proper education and culture. How each Raen treats a Xeala would still depend on the character's personality and the present situation itself. Many of them might be willing to overlook a history of clashing with the alternative clan in favor of banding together once they became refugees in a strange land. That's how I play it, anyhow.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-22-2016

Two questions!

1) What do we know of the Stone Torches exactly, other that they got assigned to keep the entrance to Copperbell Mines when the Heicatonchires got loose? What differentiates them from the Brass Blades, for example? Who do they obey to? What is their job? They are seldom mentionned in the story, or anywhere...

2) What do we know of the Green Rot, besides that there is no cure known to man (except the one improvised by the lala medicinal healer in Little Ala-Migho, that her greedy/lunatic father immediately wants to patent and sell)? I know that it literally transforms your innards into a foul green paste as implied by the name, but other than that..? Is it a magical disease? Or non magical? Any other info?

RE: General Lore Questions - Jana - 09-22-2016

Stone Torches are the same thing as Brass Blades, except that they answer to the Amajiina (can't check the spelling at work) Mineral Concern. Think of them as being the law enforcement and guards specifically for the mines.

RE: General Lore Questions - Rufus Wightman - 09-23-2016

Question: Do we consider paladins to be "Holy" magic users since HW came out? I ask because of Divine Veil, mostly. Clemency has some very holy-ish aspects to it as well. I don't think it's ever really been specifically said what type of aether a Paladin uses to do their spells, so I'm curious what others think about this.

RE: General Lore Questions - Jana - 09-23-2016

I don't think there's any concrete info on it, but I'd assume it's light-aspected rather than "holy", like the Banish spells used by mobs in Pharos Sirios. Maybe someone else who knows more can help?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-23-2016

The actual Holy used by white mages is unaspected. 

However, it seems to lean, like, 100% on the Astral pole of aether. Maybe paladin stuff is similar? It's unaspected too right?

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-26-2016

What is the timeline for the Au Ra in regards to when the Garlean forces attacked and gave them a reason to flee? How much time has passed since then and the present time, and were the two tribes targeted at different times due to the Doma sorta poking the hornets nest all on their own?

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 09-26-2016

(09-26-2016, 12:57 PM)Stardust Wrote: What is the timeline for the Au Ra in regards to when the Garlean forces attacked and gave them a reason to flee? How much time has passed since then and the present time, and were the two tribes targeted at different times due to the Doma sorta poking the hornets nest all on their own?

By tribes, I'm assuming you mean the Raen and the Xaela... as opposed to the numerous different types of Xaela tribes as listed. In which case, I should mention that the Raen actually lived in Doma with the rest of the Domans - so they would've migrated over with the rest of the non-Auri Domans. Yugiri is an example of this.

As for the Xaela themselves, it's not outright stated why they started coming over too. And I'd assume the various Xaelan tribes are pretty scattered over the Othardian steppes, so it would be quite the effort for the Garleans to go after them. That said, if they heard tale of the burning down of an entire city-state (with whom at least one Xaelan tribe was trading with regularly), it could inspire some of them to beat feet out of there. Or it just be left unexplained beyond the mechanical reason of "the race needs two clans to choose from."

Still, that would give you the time-frame of when they came over and how long it's been. They came over around the time of the razing. Of course, you're free to have had your character come before or after for whatever reason, and your personal time-frame will adjust accordingly to that.

RE: General Lore Questions - Jana - 09-26-2016

The razing itself was only a few months ago in game time. Doma's rebellion was prompted by the death of the previous Garlean emperor, who was alive at the start of ARR.