Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-26-2016

As seen explained in the DRK storyline, Sidurgu emigrated to flee garleans invaders years ago, for example. Only to get slaughtered by the ishgardians that stumbled upon his family/clan.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 09-30-2016

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 09-30-2016

(09-30-2016, 12:32 PM)Stardust Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 01:09 PM)Gegenji Wrote: As for the Xaela themselves, it's not outright stated why they started coming over too. And I'd assume the various Xaelan tribes are pretty scattered over the Othardian steppes, so it would be quite the effort for the Garleans to go after them.

Would they perhaps go after the Garleans if they entered territory the tribe had claimed?

Considering how warlike many of them are, like the Dotharl? I could totally see that happening. Especially if they're encroaching on the resources the tribe needs to survive. Walling off the nearest supply of drinking water, for example.

RE: General Lore Questions - KoharuIyashi - 10-03-2016

Bumping!

How does the Garlean empire feel toward the Au Ra and Doma in general? I've been playing around with Koharu, being a female raen, was forced to be a member of the Garlean empire's army. Is this a possible scenario?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 10-03-2016

In general, the Garlean Empire feels that everyone should be united under its banner. They hold very imperialistic views with the ideal aim being to unite everyone, get rid of conflicts, and especially the threat of primals. 

They function a bit like the Roman Empire, from which they take their inspiration. They conquer new nations and lands one after another thanks to the power Magitek afforded them. Depending on the willingness of those nations to resist, their later treatment under garlean rule once annexed will vary: the more you resist, and especially the more you continue to resist even after, means that the Empire will be especially brutal and tyrannical with you, but the more you collaborate and accept quietly their rule and you will be afforded to keep governance of your nation as long as you comply to the few of their rules and authority (like military service among others). In fact, the Garlean Empire is not that much interested in meddling in internal affairds of the nations they subdue, and instead prefer to use proxies and let them govern themselves.

Doma resisted quite a bit before being conquered. They were oppressed to an unknown degree (unlike Ala-Migho for which we know that it's pretty harsh), until they decided last year to revolt against the regime, taking advantage of the death of the first garlean emperor, hoping the empire would have other things to take care of, infighting among other things. Unfortunately for the doman resistance, they seriously miscalculated and Doma (the city) got literally razed to the ground as reprisal, spawning a huge stream of refugees fleeing to Eorzea (some of them lead by Yugiri in the MSQ).

So, I would say, the general view of the Garlean Empire towards other nations is essentially a strong feeling of their own superiority (through Magitek, culture, etc). They don't hate them, but just consider themselves to be superior to anybody else, in a rather martial culture. I bet they didn't see Domans in any other way, but still seem interestingly enough as seen in the ninja questline to have taken interest in their Shinobi orders to train their own Imperial Shadows. 

Now though, after the recent rebellion and the razing of Doma, the Garleans probably see Domans no better than Ala-Mighans themselves: terrorists or people harboring terrorists.

Also, being forced to enlist in the garlean military is actually one of the main scenari supported by lore! A huge part of the garlean military is actually composed of auxilliaries and militias that originate from a bit of all the nations they conquered. It can for example be seen in the 2.0 MSQ, when you just finish the quests for your starting city, in the following cutscene where all the gaurds and soliders discussing between each other seem to hail from different places. Nero even goes to call one out and slay him for being a possible double agent.

The garleans are no fools and perfectly know that they don't have the manpower to waste in huge legions, and the biggest part of their forces is composed of those enlisted foreign soldiers. Some of them willingly as part of the deal they have with their rulers (to then having the possibility to get afforded garlean citizenship, I think the military service is quite lenghty though, like 10, 20 years or something). And some of them, against their will.

It's a very good way for garleans to not only field their superior technology to balance out their inability to resort to any Magi, but also to field mages from nations that don't have that issue!

If you want to read more exhaustively about Garlemald, you can find  a compilation here.

As for Doma in relation to Garlemald, see here.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 10-24-2016

RE: General Lore Questions - Desu Nee - 10-24-2016

(10-24-2016, 12:01 PM)Stardust Wrote: Fantasia potions.

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?
Yoshida and the Dev Team explicitly said that Fantasia was not canon.

Doesn't stop some people nonetheless but canon wise, Fantasia doesn't exist.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 10-24-2016

(10-24-2016, 12:01 PM)Stardust Wrote: Fantasia potions.

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?

There was a statement made by one of the official lore team stating that they weren't actually existent IG, but plenty of folks still use them ICly. Even if not by name, I've seen a few tales spun of folks who ran afoul of a Sylph or encountered some strange unknown potion.

The main issue is the difficulties that would arise if such a thing was commonplace. Spies and other ne'er-do-wells could just change form on the fly, eluding capture. I mean, in the ALC HW questlines, you have a... body-hopper or something of the like? And the only way they're caught is by using a special powder to identify their aether on an item they made.

RE: General Lore Questions - Desu Nee - 10-24-2016

Simply put if Fantasia was canon we would somehow have even more Fem Seekers than we already have. Civilization would collapse, birthrates would decline, people would speak out loud emoticons, and society would not collapse in a bang like the other Eras, but in a whimper suffocated by their own overwhelming Fem Seekers population.

It is simply too powerful, like Alexander, the ideal situation is not existing for the sake of the world.

RE: General Lore Questions - Parvacake - 10-24-2016

I've used the Fantasia a few times, but it was always as a gag. First time was someone slipped a fake Fantasia into Lili's drunk in the QS like 2+ years ago and she woke up the next morning stuck as a Keeper for three days. Woke up on the third day and was fine.

Another time was Lili and her late husband where he basically did the same thing. Was given a supposed 'cure all' which just turned him into a miqo'te until Lili made an antidote. Was for shiggles and then we went back to loving our hyurs again.

For me, it's all about the application. I tend to stop really acknowledging it after a while and just have my characters go 'okay cool'.

(10-24-2016, 01:21 PM)Lililove Wrote: For me, it's all about the application. I tend to stop really acknowledging it after a while and just have my characters go 'okay cool'.

Chachan's pretty ambivalent about sudden race and gender changes after a couple people have gone through every race ICly. Twice. And he had enough Lalafell girls going Miqo'te that I joked that he thought that was part of the process.

(10-24-2016, 01:30 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 01:21 PM)Lililove Wrote: For me, it's all about the application. I tend to stop really acknowledging it after a while and just have my characters go 'okay cool'.

Chachan's pretty ambivalent about sudden race and gender changes after a couple people have gone through every race ICly. Twice. And he had enough Lalafell girls going Miqo'te that I joked that he thought that was part of the process.
[Image: 31106537.jpg]

(10-24-2016, 02:03 PM)Lililove Wrote:

More like mewberty. And to make it even better, one of them retconned into having always been a Miqo'te and at least one of the others went back to being a Lala at some point or another. So it either never happened or it was indeed just a phase. Laugh

(10-24-2016, 02:06 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 02:03 PM)Lililove Wrote:

More like mewberty. And to make it even better, one of them retconned into having always been a Miqo'te and at least one of the others went back to being a Lala at some point or another. So it either never happened or it was indeed just a phase. Laugh
-points to the door for the mewberty comment- Go think about what you've done.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 10-24-2016