Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 10-24-2016

Me Headcanon:

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - FreelanceWizard - 10-24-2016

(10-24-2016, 12:06 PM)Desu Nee Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 12:01 PM)Stardust Wrote: Fantasia potions.

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?
Yoshida and the Dev Team explicitly said that Fantasia was not canon.

Doesn't stop some people nonetheless but canon wise, Fantasia doesn't exist.

It's not quite so cut and dry. MCKF spoke briefly about Fantasia at the 2014 London Fan Fest. One can, of course, take that as tongue in cheek, but the lore team did give some thought to the concept and how it operates within the setting.

That said, there are far easier and available ways to change appearance.

RE: General Lore Questions - Desu Nee - 10-26-2016

Ah I see. Thanks Freelance.

RE: General Lore Questions - Flynn Rosenberg - 10-26-2016

I always thought Phantasia wasn't canon. If it is brought up in RP, my headcanon treats it like an advanced glamour. The loreteam did say it gives you the courage to be what you want, so in my view it might make you LOOK like another race/gender, but you aren't actually. If you're a hyur, "accidentally drank it" become a lalafell, you are still a hyur (I mean how common is this friggin thing? Didn't the loreteam say it's ability would be too insane to exist?)

At the end of a day it's a player-service, not EVERY item on the mog station or received through mail is lorefriendly. FFXIV has been the only MMO I've played where a race/gender changing player-service has been treated as canon by RPers for some reason.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arty - 10-28-2016

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?
Since Fantasia is mentioned in the Alchemist questline and was a big part of the 1.0 Alchemist storyline, it exists, but is extremely rare. Think of it more like the fountain of youth. It might exist but nobody has really made it yet, or if they have, they are not mass producing it.

RE: General Lore Questions - Seriphyn - 10-28-2016

(10-28-2016, 02:45 AM)Lulula Lulu Wrote:

Since Fantasia is mentioned in the Alchemist questline and was a big part of the 1.0 Alchemist storyline, it exists, but is extremely rare. Think of it more like the fountain of youth. It might exist but nobody has really made it yet, or if they have, they are not mass producing it.

I think the developers stating it's not lore would trump any 1.0 content. Personally, I dislike folk referencing 1.0 for lore guidance. The game sucked, flopped, and died. More importantly, we have no way to access any information in that game anymore, such as lines of dialogue. A quick search for "fantasia" on the lore finder website yields nothing.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-28-2016

(10-28-2016, 11:38 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:

I think the developers stating it's not lore would trump any 1.0 content. Personally, I dislike folk referencing 1.0 for lore guidance. The game sucked, flopped, and died. More importantly, we have no way to access any information in that game anymore, such as lines of dialogue. A quick search for "fantasia" on the lore finder website yields nothing.

1.0's lore wasn't retconned though. Its shitty battle system and server architecture was. The gameplay sucked. Not the MSQ, its quests or other content. And really, by the time Yoshi-P took over, it had fairly decent gameplay. But a bunch of bandaids could really only get so far.

On a side note, there are plenty of ways to access the information in the client. There's a 1.0 version of the FFXIV file Explorer. NPC scripts can be decompiled. (They're all lua). All text was stored client-side. There are a plethora of let's-play videos where people recorded all of the cutscenes. And that's not even touching the private server communities where you can replay all the cutscenes yourself. (Like how the cancelled Titan cutscene was found.)

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 10-28-2016

(10-28-2016, 11:38 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:

1) I'm not quite sure where Fantasias came into the 1.0 ALC questline? Those quests were wholly dedicated to discovering a cure for Guildmaster Faustigeant's son, Damelliot's, sleeping sickness. The several failed medicines attempted would later be used in the attempted assassination of Nanamo Ul Namo. But to be sure, I just went back and reread the entire questline. No mention of fantasias by name or description.

2) Kale, regardless of people's opinions of the 1.0 version of the game, it's story and lore was not retconned and serves as the foundation for which all of ARR's lore and story is built. Of the estimated "80% old info" covered in the new lore book, well over half of that is 1.0 lore. So, sorry people keep referencing 1.0 lore? But it literally had triple the amount of lore and world building information than ARR and in a fraction of the quests.

3) I have no idea where people think I get my lore from, but I'm here to tell you all I don't have some private collection of screenshots from 1.0. You all literally have access to every bit of lore I have via google, I just know what I'm looking for. Saying 1.0 lore doesn't count because you don't have access to it is just false for one, and silly considering most lore found in ARR was first introduced in 1.0 anyways.

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 10-29-2016

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 10-29-2016

Okay I tried to find something for you in the lore book and I couldn't (Sylphs pages mention everything but glamours, couldn't spot anything in the aetherology section at a glance) but I did find this which I couldn't not share I'm sorry

Show Content

I want fanart show me fanart

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 11-02-2016

I give you this.

[Image: DTX4uqX.jpg]

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 11-04-2016

Does lore says anything about Magitek prostetics and augmentations like that? Is that purely fanon or is there some lore examples about it?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-04-2016

(11-04-2016, 04:47 AM)Valence Wrote: Does lore says anything about Magitek prostetics and augmentations like that? Is that purely fanon or is there some lore examples about it?

I'm at work currently so I can't peak at the lore book to see if it mentions anything extra on the topic, but this is the original quote which started the popular magitek prosthetic headcanon:

Merewina Wrote:The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea, and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 11-04-2016

Ah, right. That bit..

Yeah I have seen there is an interesting couple of pages on the garlean tech and doodads in the lorebook, I'll try to have a look at it when I get back from work (and update my garlic lore thread).

RE: General Lore Questions - Jana - 11-04-2016

If we consider that the Illuminati's stolen tech is Garlean in origin, the main gob from the Alex story would qualify.