Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 11-04-2016

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 11-04-2016

Not races, but the lorebook has information on the food preferences of those living in the different city-states:

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 11-04-2016

To add to the post above, from the lorebook.

Highlanders/Ala Mhigans:

Such ruggedness can also been seen in their preferred fare-Highlanders often dine on simple yet impressive dishes such as massive aldgoat steaks, seared perfectly to seal the natural juices. Overcooking is taboo in Highlander kitchens, to the degree that some consider them raw meat eaters.

Also the ingame market board with the dishes on it is very handy for this. Ishgardian we know a ton of food of due to the expansion! That they for example boil their tea completely with milk instead of water ect. It's a bit too much to go all write this down but...

This might help to find whatever you're looking for!

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-04-2016

(11-04-2016, 01:28 PM)Stardust Wrote: Kind of an off the wall question, but what kinds of foods do the different races eat? Do they have preferences?
(11-04-2016, 01:55 PM)Virella Wrote: It's a bit too much to go all write this down but...

Fortunately, I've written most of it down beforehand!

Show Content

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Caspar - 11-04-2016

Is there any more information on how corrupted aether and over-aspecting works from the new lore book?

I understand it has something to do with the orange crystal in Pharos Sirius, and can make people ill or drive them mad/make them extremely aggressive. 

More specifically though, the way over-aspecting interacts with the use of magic. Say, you attempt to channel fire Conjury or Thaumaturgy, and someone, somehow, uses a device to shunt a massive amount of fire-aspected aether into you, or even a chaotic mix of aether. What would happen?

This is a vague question and only really touches on my curiosity. I basically was wondering if there was any technique for essentially "jamming" aetheric abilities theoretically possible, and I wanted to understand better the metaphysical aspect of the setting to conceive of a method for it.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-04-2016

(11-04-2016, 09:26 PM)Caspar Wrote: More specifically though, the way over-aspecting interacts with the use of magic. Say, you attempt to channel fire Conjury or Thaumaturgy, and someone, somehow, uses a device to shunt a massive amount of fire-aspected aether into you, or even a chaotic mix of aether. What would happen?

I don't know if it mentions anything quite like what you're saying, I didn't see anything on a quick skim, but on the topic of shunting aspected or corrupted aether into someone, there is this small passage:

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:That said, due to the extreme concentration of aspected aether within a crystal, direct consumption of a crystal by a living being can severely alter the aetherial balance within its body, ultimately resulting in severe injury or even death.

Now, if a regularly aspected crystal can cause death if consumed, more extreme charges from over-aspected or corrupted aether would likely cause harm on contact, much less being shunted into someone. This could greatly alter your elemental balance.

Lamberteint Wrote:But to the matter at hand─did you say you wish not to conduct field observations, but to harvest a corrupted crystal? Egads, woman! At least take the necessary precautions so that you do not suffer from exposure to its harmful energies! I'm beginning to wonder if you've sufficient qualifications to handle such hazardous materials...
Alphinaud Wrote:We speak of the manifestations of over-aspected aether that can be found throughout Eorzea. Since the Calamity disrupted the land's aetheric currents, such crystals have become comparatively commonplace. ...Which has been a cause of great woe, as they are known to warp aetheric energies, including those of living organisms.

A bit more lore on this can be found in this older post. Hope this helps! Sorry I don't have much more to give you.

RE: General Lore Questions - Caspar - 11-04-2016

That's fine, I know it's oddly specific and at the same time very vague. Thank you for the link and the assistance.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 11-05-2016

To muse a bit over the consumption or taint from aspected crystal aether, I would assume that since it is said to 'disturb' the balance of aether within the body, one would expect for example that aspected fire would result in greatly increasing the energy and heat produced by the body and thus leading to serious overheating and horrible fevers. Water? Would probably upset the ratio of salt in cells, leading to catastrophic cell malfunction and a possible global nervous meltdown, for example. 

I'm sure you can find other explanations and ideas around that and I find that tidbit rather interesting for all roleplay around medicine and healing.

I wonder however, how precisely acts corrupted aether? Is it just an overaspected crystal? But it can also be due to voidsent taint. Is there a distinction to be made?

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 11-21-2016

Thanks as always for the wonderful answers here!

I am curious about the elzen references to language, I read somewhere (lore book scans?) that there are still a few words that bleed into the common tongue even now. So what would that language be, select french terms? Have any NPCS ever used french greetings or anything to confirm it?

RE: General Lore Questions - Etoile - 11-22-2016

Also, here's something neat I noticed. The designs all over the gelmorra ruins are basically the same as the twin adder crest.

[Image: AVBrbdf.png]

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 11-22-2016

Indeed. They symbolize the alliance between hyur and elezen.

RE: General Lore Questions - Ren of Many Alts - 11-26-2016

(08-05-2016, 03:24 AM)Morningstar1337 Wrote: Speaking of Crafting, I have a small (and semantic, and a little embrassing) question about the Leatherworker's Guild, specifically Geva. Her Claim to Fame are some sort of patterns. I thought she meant design patterns until she mentioned the odd detail of...conserving leather out of respect for the Twelveswood. Odd regarding design patterns...but not so much when in the context of Shoes. On the other hand IIRC the type of shoes called "Patterns" are usually CRP crafts. So I want some confirmation (the hindsight has mean leaning more towards "shoes" then "tessellating/repeating designs")

(Apologies if this was answered previously; if it was, I missed it!)

I assumed that Geva was referring to the pattern (template) used to cut out shapes of leather that are subsequently sewn (or otherwise fastened together/manipulated) to create leather items -- like a sewing pattern is used to make clothing. A carefully-designed pattern will allow you to fit the pattern pieces very efficiently onto a piece of fabric or leather, leading to minimal material being wasted when you cut out the shapes.

The type of shoe you mention are called pattens (no "R") -- they are CRP crafts because they are actually wooden platforms worn over regular shoes to protect them from mud and filth in the streets and to raise clothing hems up as well. (In-game, the model for pattens include the leather shoe as well.)

RE: General Lore Questions - GhostlyMaiden - 11-30-2016

Strange question but what do we know about fenrir? We see one in Snowcloak, we have the mount, and pup. Any and all information that can be found would be appreciated. Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-30-2016

(11-30-2016, 12:10 PM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: Strange question but what do we know about fenrir? We see one in Snowcloak, we have the mount, and pup. Any and all information that can be found would be appreciated. Smile

This is what I could find doing a quick search at work. Hope this helps! ^^

Fenrir Wrote:Following the rise of Ishgard, hoarhounds all but disappeared from the Coerthas highlands. However, the shift in climate caused by the Calamity has seen the legendary beasts descend from their mountain dens once more.

Fenrir Pup Wrote:Torn from his mother's teat immediately after birth and weaned on the manblood spilled daily in the Wolves' Den, this young hoarhound with soft blue fur was named after the spirit-beast of legend with hopes that he would grow to become as fierce and powerful.

Fenrir Triple Triad Wrote:A massive hoarhound beholden to Lady Iceheart. With its shimmering hide reminiscent of pale moonlight and a demeanor just as cold, this imposing beast was named after the legendary spirit-hound Fenrir.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 12-12-2016

Besides chocobos, griffins (ala-mighi), horses (far east) and the few creatures tamed by beast tribes (thinking of the vanu and gnath here), is there any other creatures that can be tamed and used as mounts? Where does the lore stands here exactly?

Not totally sure where all the mounts ingame stand here...