Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 01:22 PM)Valence Wrote: Besides chocobos, griffins (ala-mighi), horses (far east) and the few creatures tamed by beast tribes (thinking of the vanu and gnath here), is there any other creatures that can be tamed and used as mounts? Where does the lore stands here exactly?

Not totally sure where all the mounts ingame stand here...

First place to look would be in the lore descriptions in the mount menu, but other scattered references exist out there. In general, if a beast can be tamed, it would have been done so first by the beast tamers of The Pearl, an island in the Rothlyt Sound, south of Ala Mhigo. Then there are mounts tamed by the individual beast tribes, the chocobo husbandry in Ishgard, and the Griffin mounts of Ala Mhigo. Where it gets complicated is separating what mounts would be more widely available across Eorzea (or Hydaelyn) and which were brought to heel by the miraculous Warrior of Light. Again, all this is pretty easily sorted through with their lore blurb.

I'm skipping Magitek Armors, as they can all pretty much be obtained in one of two places: stolen from a Garlean castrum or built by the Garlond Ironworks. Though why any Eorzean would ride around in one when you're very likely to get attacked by every Empire-fearing adventurer and soldier you pass.

I'm also skipping the primal ponies, as those are all nightmares used to enhance the strengths of primal summonings. As you would need to defeat a primal to have access to one, theoretically, that would lie within the realm of WoL or lucky survivors of primal victories. In either case, not a common mount.

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: General Lore Questions - Aegir - 12-12-2016

Does anyone know if the Goblins have their own hilarious word for Primals?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 12-13-2016

Thanks, I wasn't totally sure how to wrap my head around some of those (primal ponies and the likes especially).

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 12-13-2016

(12-12-2016, 11:35 PM)Aegir Wrote: Does anyone know if the Goblins have their own hilarious word for Primals?

I looked through the most obvious places where the goblins might reference a primal- during the early MSQ with Titan and during the Alexander storyline. In both instances, the goblins never use a phrase or word for a primal in general, but always refer to the specific primal under discussion. For Titan, the word is "rockman" while goblins unfamiliar with Alexander call it the "whirlycog giant." Quickthinx Allthoughts sometimes references Alexander by its proper name, but that's the only time we see goblins do so.

Unfortunately, because dealings with goblins and primals are so scarce, we may only ever be able to guess as to what names they've mashed up for the other primals. Though if you're curious to learn a little bit more about gobbiespeak, there was an older thread where we discussed some of their language lore.

Brayflox Alltalks Wrote:Pshhh... Shkohhh... Why uplander is talentful plansmaker. Tricksy foe for mighty rockman!
Brayflox Alltalks Wrote:Brayflox give uplander lenthand in past-time, yes? Mighty rockman fall with gobbiehelp, yes? Now time is come for lenthand to be Brayflox's ironfist! Shkohhh!
Roundrox Wrote:“Bobbing”? Nothing bobbed, silly uplander. Ground made shiveryshakes when giant of whirlycogs stood. And then magic walls came up too!

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: General Lore Questions - Rosehip - 12-13-2016

I have a question regarding Miqo'te tribes. I've seen some discussions of the possibility of there being "offshoot" of the Tribes to allow for more than one Nuhn for each tribe, which I think makes sense.

What I wonder is, do we know how common it is to "move" or switch tribe? If it's not very common, it seems like you would end up with quite a lot of situations where daughters were expected to bear children with their father, if the Nuhn kept his position for long enough.

Do we know how Miqo'te tribes deal with that? Do young females move to other tribes/offshoots of their original tribes? There might not really be any info on it, I mostly wondered about it when trying to name X'raj's sire, and whether or not he would also have been from the Lynx tribe Big Grin

(12-13-2016, 12:41 PM)Rosehip Wrote: I have a question regarding Miqo'te tribes. I've seen some discussions of the possibility of there being "offshoot" of the Tribes to allow for more than one Nuhn for each tribe, which I think makes sense.

What I wonder is, do we know how common it is to "move" or switch tribe? If it's not very common, it seems like you would end up with quite a lot of situations where daughters were expected to bear children with their father, if the Nuhn kept his position for long enough.

Do we know how Miqo'te tribes deal with that? Do young females move to other tribes/offshoots of their original tribes? There might not really be any info on it, I mostly wondered about it when trying to name X'raj's sire, and whether or not he would also have been from the Lynx tribe Big Grin

Here's what we know:
Fernehalwes Wrote:When the Seekers of the Sun came to Eorzea from their homelands, there were only 26 tribes. Since that time, there have been some males who, instead of defeating their tribe's nunh and becoming a breeding male by normal means, opt to leave the tribe and form their own. However, it is rare for female Seekers of the Sun to follow these males, so these newly formed tribes almost always die out.

This does not mean that it doesn't happen.
If a male leaves to form his own tribe, he will replace the letter from his original tribe (for example, the "Y" in Y'shtola) with a new one. Since the 26 letters of the Eorzean alphabet are already taken, the new tribal prefix will be often be two letters (Ma -> Ma'shtola) which are of the tribe-forming male's choosing (and all people in his tribe will use that same prefix).

His last name will be Nunh, as he is now the new breeding male (as designated by himself) of his new tribe.

---

There are tia within the 26 existing tribes who, instead of defeating an existing nunh, prove their worth to the tribe by extending its hunting grounds. These tia will venture out into the world and claim territory of their own (by either finding somewhere unoccupied, or taking an area by force from another tribe). If they can maintain it for an extended period of time, then they become the nunh of that area, while still remaining a member of their original tribe.

This actually happens quite often. And is far more accepted than merely leaving the tribe to make one's own (which, ultimately makes that person an outcast). This is why you will almost never see Seekers of the Sun with tribal letters beyond the original 26 (like the Ma'shtola I mentioned earlier). There are simply not that many, and those that do exist, rarely admit it, for fear of ostracism.

In the specific case of daughters mating with their fathers, it would require that that same Nunh of whatever tribe maintained his position for at least 15-16 years, give or take. I believe this would be an exceptional length of time for any one Nunh to hold mating rights, but even if it did happen, this would mean that one Nunh had been mating with 20-50 females for 15+ years. That would be a LOT of babies, meaning that the tribe would have grown exponentially during his reign and likely multiple Tias would've expanded the tribe's territory to take on the role of Nunh elsewhere. So, the Nunh's children may be divided up among the newly expanded territories and other Nunhs.

People usually hate the comparison, but something similar happens in lion prides according to some quick internet searches. Most male lions are only able to maintain dominion over their pride on average 2 years, while it takes most female cubs up to 4 years to reach child-bearing age, usually but not always, diminishing father-daughter inbreeding.

That said, and regardless of any similarities to lions, strict in game lore for the Miqo'te tribes seems to indicate that inbreeding (at least between siblings, cousins, etc) might be unavoidable, if not commonplace. When you have 1 male per 20-50 females and most children are also female, unless Miqo'te begin breeding outside the tribe (social ostracism) you're going to get some amount of inbreeding eventually, unless males are so rare that not every Nunh produces even one male.

EDIT: Adding in the in-game example of the U Tribe in the Sagolii desert. U'odh Nunh has only been Nunh for the last 5 years following the disbanding of the Company of Heroes. Meaning that the Tias we see around the tribe are probably not his. So, any daughters he produces will likely eventually mate with one of these Tias when they overtake U'odh's position as Nunh. Alternatively, by the time U'odh's children come of age, an entirely new set of Tias may have become Nunhs, but there's also the likelihood that if U'odh produces a male, that male might become Nunh around the same time U'odh's daughters reach age. Will U'odh's son mate with his sisters? I dunno. But the inbreeding gambit seems to rely completely on luck of the draw of who is Nunh and who the Nunh has pick of.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 12-13-2016

Biggest tribes actually have several Nunhs if I remember correctly. I don't remember the exact ratio of females per Nunh since I'm at work, but I believe it's hardly above a dozen.

Or did I dream that?

(12-13-2016, 01:27 PM)Valence Wrote: Biggest tribes actually have several Nunhs if I remember correctly. I don't remember the exact ratio of females per Nunh since I'm at work, but I believe it's hardly above a dozen.

Or did I dream that?

From Miqo'te Naming Conventions:

Quote:All males are born as tia. At any time in their lives, a tia can challenge the tribe nunh to battle. If the tia is victorious, he takes the nunh’s place as tribe breeding male (until he is challenged and defeated), and the nunh becomes a tia once again (if he survives the ordeal). This is done to ensure that the tribe’s offspring are of the finest stock. Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

RE: General Lore Questions - Rosehip - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 01:22 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 12:41 PM)Rosehip Wrote: I have a question regarding Miqo'te tribes. I've seen some discussions of the possibility of there being "offshoot" of the Tribes to allow for more than one Nuhn for each tribe, which I think makes sense.

Here's what we know:
Fernehalwes Wrote:When the Seekers of the Sun came to Eorzea from their homelands, there were only 26 tribes. Since that time, there have been some males who, instead of defeating their tribe's nunh and becoming a breeding male by normal means, opt to leave the tribe and form their own. However, it is rare for female Seekers of the Sun to follow these males, so these newly formed tribes almost always die out.

This does not mean that it doesn't happen.
If a male leaves to form his own tribe, he will replace the letter from his original tribe (for example, the "Y" in Y'shtola) with a new one. Since the 26 letters of the Eorzean alphabet are already taken, the new tribal prefix will be often be two letters (Ma -> Ma'shtola) which are of the tribe-forming male's choosing (and all people in his tribe will use that same prefix).

His last name will be Nunh, as he is now the new breeding male (as designated by himself) of his new tribe.

---

There are tia within the 26 existing tribes who, instead of defeating an existing nunh, prove their worth to the tribe by extending its hunting grounds. These tia will venture out into the world and claim territory of their own (by either finding somewhere unoccupied, or taking an area by force from another tribe). If they can maintain it for an extended period of time, then they become the nunh of that area, while still remaining a member of their original tribe.

This actually happens quite often. And is far more accepted than merely leaving the tribe to make one's own (which, ultimately makes that person an outcast). This is why you will almost never see Seekers of the Sun with tribal letters beyond the original 26 (like the Ma'shtola I mentioned earlier). There are simply not that many, and those that do exist, rarely admit it, for fear of ostracism.

In the specific case of daughters mating with their fathers, it would require that that same Nunh of whatever tribe maintained his position for at least 15-16 years, give or take. I believe this would be an exceptional length of time for any one Nunh to hold mating rights, but even if it did happen, this would mean that one Nunh had been mating with 20-50 females for 15+ years. That would be a LOT of babies, meaning that the tribe would have grown exponentially during his reign and likely multiple Tias would've expanded the tribe's territory to take on the role of Nunh elsewhere. So, the Nunh's children may be divided up among the newly expanded territories and other Nunhs.

People usually hate the comparison, but something similar happens in lion prides according to some quick internet searches. Most male lions are only able to maintain dominion over their pride on average 2 years, while it takes most female cubs up to 4 years to reach child-bearing age, usually but not always, diminishing father-daughter inbreeding.

That said, and regardless of any similarities to lions, strict in game lore for the Miqo'te tribes seems to indicate that inbreeding (at least between siblings, cousins, etc) might be unavoidable, if not commonplace. When you have 1 male per 20-50 females and most children are also female, unless Miqo'te begin breeding outside the tribe (social ostracism) you're going to get some amount of inbreeding eventually, unless males are so rare that not every Nunh produces even one male.

EDIT: Adding in the in-game example of the U Tribe in the Sagolii desert. U'odh Nunh has only been Nunh for the last 5 years following the disbanding of the Company of Heroes. Meaning that the Tias we see around the tribe are probably not his. So, any daughters he produces will likely eventually mate with one of these Tias when they overtake U'odh's position as Nunh. Alternatively, by the time U'odh's children come of age, an entirely new set of Tias may have become Nunhs, but there's also the likelihood that if U'odh produces a male, that male might become Nunh around the same time U'odh's daughters reach age. Will U'odh's son mate with his sisters? I dunno. But the inbreeding gambit seems to rely completely on luck of the draw of who is Nunh and who the Nunh has pick of.

That makes sense, thank you for your reply! I'll keep my character's Sire from the same Tribe as her then, just wanted to make sure I wasn't making some sort of unfortunate implications Big Grin

RE: General Lore Questions - Aegir - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 12:27 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 11:35 PM)Aegir Wrote: Does anyone know if the Goblins have their own hilarious word for Primals?

I looked through the most obvious places where the goblins might reference a primal- during the early MSQ with Titan and during the Alexander storyline. In both instances, the goblins never use a phrase or word for a primal in general, but always refer to the specific primal under discussion. For Titan, the word is "rockman" while goblins unfamiliar with Alexander call it the "whirlycog giant." Quickthinx Allthoughts sometimes references Alexander by its proper name, but that's the only time we see goblins do so.

Unfortunately, because dealings with goblins and primals are so scarce, we may only ever be able to guess as to what names they've mashed up for the other primals. Though if you're curious to learn a little bit more about gobbiespeak, there was an older thread where we discussed some of their language lore.

Brayflox Alltalks Wrote:Pshhh... Shkohhh... Why uplander is talentful plansmaker. Tricksy foe for mighty rockman!
Brayflox Alltalks Wrote:Brayflox give uplander lenthand in past-time, yes? Mighty rockman fall with gobbiehelp, yes? Now time is come for lenthand to be Brayflox's ironfist! Shkohhh!
Roundrox Wrote:“Bobbing”? Nothing bobbed, silly uplander. Ground made shiveryshakes when giant of whirlycogs stood. And then magic walls came up too!

Hope this helps! ^^
It does <3

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 01-13-2017

Do we have accounts of the actual impact of natural seasons on all the lands in Eorzea? I'm not referring to calamity stuff like what happened in Coerthas.

Does the Shroud gets snowy in winter? That kind of things. It's somewhat harder to find than I imagined, even with the lore finder (considering the amount of results to parse through...).

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 01-13-2017

Yes, seasons are a thing in Eorzea.

The North Shroud has been experiencing an unseasonably warm winter this year. In fact, there're even some as say winter has yet to arrive there. The conjurers, in particular, are taking the matter very seriously, fearing this break in the natural cycle may wreak havoc upon the region's flora and fauna.

http://chrysaliswiki.com/quests:ffxiv-winter-is-not-coming

"By now no doubt all have heard of the Firefall Faire being prepared for in Eorzea's cities. But tell me this—do you not find something strange about these festivities? Why, I ask, in the midst of these the year’s hottest days, must we be forced to look upon balloons fashioned in the likeness of bombs, and everywhere reminded of this unbearable heat from which we constantly seek even the briefest of respites?"
—Yumah Molkot, reporter of The Harbor Herald

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Moonfire_Faire

This fish uses its uncanny resemblance to a reddened leaf to hide amongst fallen detritus and wait for unsuspecting prey to approach. As this hunting technique is only effective for a two-moon period of the twelvemoon, the wavekin will gorge itself while it can, and then lie dormant until the next autumn calls.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Autumn_Leaf
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Autumn_War (they call it the Autumn War for a reason I assume)

I just imagine for practical reasons they leave seasons out (I can't recall any MMO having seasons actively anyhow). There's... a lot on seasons if you go looking for it. These are just a few examples.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 01-13-2017

To be more precise, I didn't find it especially a hard stretch to conclude there is indeed seasons in Eorzea/Hydaelyn considering all the references we get of winter, spring, summer, etc. Or just seasons.

I forgot about that specific quote on the heat wave they get in the Shroud, but otherwise I'm more specifically looking for possible info on what seasons do on most regions.

The only thing so far I have been able to gather is that winters in snowy Coerthas are extremely cold and bitter, but then again, we are already speaking about a region climate that got completely fucked up by the Calamity.

Again, to speak more simply, I'm interested in hints or description of what it can be in other seasons. Is the Shroud snowy in winter? Are a lot of its trees deciduous and so the forest gets a lot less thick? How does Thanalan look in winter? Are summers in La Noscea full of storms and thunder like a tropical islandic climate, or are they closer to a homogenous equatorial thing?

Well, I'm well aware that not much has probably ever been written on the matter by the lore team considering how hard it is to track (and maybe there is actually nothing and i'm tracking a chimera), so I'm obviously not expecting something that detailed. But you get the picture.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-13-2017

(01-13-2017, 07:06 PM)Valence Wrote: The only thing so far I have been able to gather is that winters in snowy Coerthas are extremely cold and bitter, but then again, we are already speaking about a region climate that got completely fucked up by the Calamity.

Again, to speak more simply, I'm interested in hints or description of what it can be in other seasons. Is the Shroud snowy in winter? Are a lot of its trees deciduous and so the forest gets a lot less thick? How does Thanalan look in winter? Are summers in La Noscea full of storms and thunder like a tropical islandic climate, or are they closer to a homogenous equatorial thing?

Abalathia's Climate: Coerthas, Dravania, Gyr Abania

Hot Summers, Cold Snowy Winters, Autumn deciduous trees, plants blooming in Spring

Sightseeing Vista #070 Wrote:The Frozen Fang
In years past, the hot alpine summers would have seen this fallen Dravanian outflyers blown with maggots and reduced to bones in a matter of days. Now, in the endless winter wrought by the Calamity, the carcass rests in the permafrost under a thick blanket of snow, perfectly preserved since the day he was pierced through the heart by a ballista.
The Mythril Eye: A Winter Awoken? Wrote:As doing so was positively prohibited, however, the knights had the children slip in while swathed in their scarlet jackets. Thus were they spared the worst of the cruel cold. These orphans survived the winter, and, later in life, they went on to convey the same kindness to others that they had once received. On the coldest week of the year, they took to sporting scarlet and passing out presents to the children of the realm. And over time, their deeds developed into the favored festival known as the Starlight Celebration. ...A representative from the Adventurers' Guild informed of the proposed plan—snowmen, made with powdery stuff sleighed down from Coerthas...
Waldomar Wrote:It's a festival for ushering in winter, where grown-ups and younglings alike cry "Winter is coming!" while hurling snowballs in a joint effort to build a giant of snow named Father Frost. What sets him apart from ordinary snowmen, you ask? Why, it's the gemstone he bears within his breast called the Heart of Winter, an age-old Ala Mhigan relic.
Flame Private Osric Wrote:Rhalgr take this desert heat! Ahhh, I'd give anythin' to be back in the crisp mountains of Ala Mhigo. ...Well, perhaps not my freedom.
Coerthan Hemlock Wrote:Due to their natural resistance to colder temperatures, hemlocks remain abundant in Coerthas even now, long after the Calamity-induced winter killed off the less hardy species.
Autumn Leaf Wrote:This fish uses its uncanny resemblance to a reddened leaf to hide amongst fallen detritus and wait for unsuspecting prey to approach. As this hunting technique is only effective for a two-moon period of the twelvemoon, the wavekin will gorge itself while it can, and then lie dormant until the next autumn calls.
Hornbloom Wrote:This beautiful flower blooms only once every spring. The rest of the year, the plant is considered one of the ugliest in all the land.

Gridania's Climate (Likely extends to Mor Dhona):

Temperate climate. Long, cold, snowy winters, deciduous plants. Wet Spring.

The Raven: Winter Is Not Coming Wrote:An odd few have been heard expressing that they would as soon skip the harshness of winter in favor of an early spring. This way of thinking, however, is dangerously naïve, warns Fufucha of the Botanists' Guild. The bounty of ice and snow is no less important than that yielded in warmth, stresses the Lalafell, before going on to remind us in a motherly tone that nature is dependent upon the turn of the seasons. The coming of the cold tells plants to shed their leaves against the chill, and animals to hoard what food they can. A late winter would cause seeds to sprout prematurely, only to wither before the onslaught of biting wind.
Seemed Like the Thing To Get Wrote:The winter storms will close the mountain pass, cutting Coerthas off from Gridania. All the merchants are laying in a large stock of necessaries; wags have been heard calling it the “cold rush.” Today, it's for kitchen knives. In three days, it will be something else.
Shroud Vetch Wrote:For centuries, farmers on the northern fringes of the Black Shroud, as well as the Coerthas lowlands, have planted this hardy flower in early spring as a cover crop to increase soil fertility.
A Toad's Taste Wrote:A warm winter and a damp spring have resulted in an explosion in the number of dreamtoads living in the ponds and lakes near Treespeak. The ravenous scalekin, which have few natural predators, have already begun devouring the area's flora, and there are even reports that the toads have been eating some of the area's smaller fauna as well. To maintain the balance of the fragile ecosystem, the Gods' Quiver is seeking adventurers willing to assist in culling the cyclopean creatures.
An Enemy in the Orchards Wrote:Herds of antelopes have been spotted in several faerie apple orchards located on the fringes of Camp Tranquil, ignoring the fallen apples set aside for the beasts, and instead eating the unripe ones still on the trees. If this continues, there will not be enough apples left for the farmers to take to market, forcing them to struggle through the long winter. The Holtwatch is petitioning adventurers to travel to the wooded area, locate the herd, and send as many of the beasts back to the forest as possible.
V'nabyano Wrote:Have you seen the wildflowers? They are awfully beautiful this time of year. I like to bed down among them and let the elementals bring me sweet, sweet dreams.

Limsa and the South Sea Islands Climate:

Hot summers, bright sun, storm season, southern isles tropical, springtime and winter are things. Winter mild, but would be cold to most Lominsans.

Harbor Herald: Garleans in the Vale Wrote:Of late, however, a perceptible change has swept across the land. Brawny sailors are being observed hurling profanities at “Menphina’s bloody cur” for unseasonable storms out upon the high seas.
The Alloyed Truth Wrote:The long rainy season has wreaked rusty havoc on iron rivets preferred by many a farmstead. Once the Consortium's silver-tongued agents are done, the clamor for bronze rivets is expected to be somewhere between “loud” and “gods protect us.” Smiths both deft and deaf are sought for this opportunity.
Harbor Herald: Adventures in a Maelstrom Wrote:Just when one has gotten used to the incessant flapping and occasional snapping of the dragon galley ensign, the Maelstrom comes up with a new means to vex the populace: intensifying its recruitment drive. Spearheading the effort is a celebration dubbed Foundation Day, which entails posting barkers in the city-state whose obnoxious blaring puts one in mind of apkallus during breeding season.
Harbor Herald: Bombards Ablaze Wrote:Why, I ask, in the midst of these the year’s hottest days, must we be forced to look upon balloons fashioned in the likeness of bombs, and everywhere reminded of this unbearable heat from which we constantly seek even the briefest of respites?
Ain't Nobody Got Time for Rats Wrote:Every summer, we lose more than a quarter of our yield here at the Red Rooster Stead to a plague of filthy rats who sneak into the fields at night and eat the young vegetables straight off the vine. Every winter, we lose another quarter to the same rats when they chew their way into our storage silos. If the quick-breeding pests are not continuously dealt with, our losses will grow even larger, and I will be forced to abandon the farm. The Stead seeks fleet-footed adventurers to come and chase down the creatures so that my family and I might rest easily.
Renascence Man Wrote:Passions revive in Master Gegeruju like sap rising in a springtime copse. Having recalled a boyhood lesson from a naturalist, he has entranced us by creating a floating compass out of needles. Such fun─and now done! 'Tis time to restock the sewing cases and make safe the reflecting pool.
Ninipu Wrote:The weather up in the North Shroud don't seem t' be gettin' as cold as it rightly should this time o' year, ye see, an' them Gridanians is bloody wailin' about it. Bah! We're it up t' me, I'd strike the season from the reckonin' an' go straight to spring, but ye could be sure them tree-botherers would spout some bilge about the bleedin' circle o' life.

Thanalan's Climate:

Hot and less hot. Summer, spring, possibly a mild winter? I couldn't find very much seasonal references for Thanalan. There could potentially be a rainy season, though a levequest notes increased rainfall since the calamity, there's always been more rain than most normal deserts because Thanalan used to be all grassland and lush forests a few thousand years ago.

The Mythril Eye: Night On the Town Wrote:In this season when the peach blossoms bloom, we are reminded of Princess Edyva of the Thorne dynasty, whose famous tale became the origin of our Little Ladies’ Day festival.
Not Cool Enough Wrote:Got some northerners working the caravan route, friend. Hard people, hard workers, but the weather's been a right harder mistress. They wear their northern wool and leather, and boil. They shed 'em, and burn. You see how it is. They need something fit for our climes, or they'll be dead betimes.

Yanxia's Climate:
Temperate, similar to Gridania's.

Kotatsu Table Wrote:A table designed in the Doman fashion. The underside has been treated with strange Eastern magicks to emit heat during the winter months.
Nagxian Cudweed Wrote:Though recognized as a weed, this winter annual is edible and will oft be harvested in the late months for use in various Doman and Hingan dishes.
Yuki Wrote:Well, I hope now our lands will be free of winter. May the snows melt in the spring sun and deliver us from our cold, parched lives. Come, my friends─let's go home, and rebuild!

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 01-20-2017

A hand if you all will....

My wife swears up and down that somewhere in the game there is mention of a monster/creature of Bronze Lake. Despite looking through the lore book and google searching anything related to Bronze Lake, even fishing quests, we were unable to find it.

The closest thing we found was Thalaos, which got me a, "No, that's not it. It's something still alive and in there...."

Anyone hear/read of said creature and by chance have a link to a post or something about it?

And no... I don't mean the rubbing oils on Godbert quest....