Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Charity322 - 01-20-2017

I knew I'd heard of it somewhere too. Is it this FATE?

Legend says deep beneath the waters of Bronze Lake dwells a terrible creature with jaws so powerful they can tear a man in two with a single bite. Common sense would suggest that Oannes is merely a tale to frighten babes, but the local smallfolk would have us believe otherwise.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Truth_in_Faerie_Tales

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 01-20-2017

That seems to have sated her curiosity. Thanks. Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 02-22-2017

This may well have been discussed somewhere on the forums already, but a search didn't bring up any answers for me.

Garleans. Can they be healed via aether?

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 08:58 PM)Roderick Wrote: This may well have been discussed somewhere on the forums already, but a search didn't bring up any answers for me.

I... don't know. Surprise

I mean, it's usually someone else using their aether (or local aether for Conjury) to mend wounds of their intended target. So I suppose they should be able to? You're not trying to utilize their aether or anything, after all, so it should work. In theory, anyway.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 08:58 PM)Roderick Wrote: This may well have been discussed somewhere on the forums already, but a search didn't bring up any answers for me.

They should be able to, yes. They can't actually control or direct aether, but there's nothing to indicate that they are not themselves suffused with aether.

What I'm saying is, if we can light them on fire via aether, we should also be able to heal them via aether. Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-22-2017

Conscripts? Sure, go ahead. I'm pretty sure there have been some CNJ ones thrown at us multiple times.

Pureblooded ones? ...I want to say yes? We know it's pretty rare for pureblooded Garleans to be able to manipulate aether themselves to the extent that until multiple lore panels from the dev team, it was assumed they all couldn't. Period. But like Gegenji said, the healer would be doing that manipulation, not the Garlean. I don't see why it would fail, but I'm certain most Garleans would begrudgingly take it or would be mouthing off the whole time during the healing.

Now a pureblooded Garlean healer? Bit more iffy. They could be one of the few gifted with decent manipulation ability, but it's far more likely they'd turn to more scientific methods.

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 02-22-2017

Right, my thought was as well that being affected by the magic should be fine (talking about Pure-blooded) seeing as a fireball will still burn them. Was just curious if there was anything in lore stating otherwise about magic healing them. As in conjurer from Eorzea going wooshy wooshy on their boo-boos. Not so much a full-blood Garlean doing it themselves. Tongue

Righto, thanks all.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 02-23-2017

A fireball will harm anything, be it constituted of aether or not (cf voidsent, inert non organic materials, etc). Aether is energy, and using it to light a fireball or what you have will cause mayhem around no matter what. So to me the analogy is moot here.

As for the question, garleans are as far as I know, Spoken and thus are probably partly made of aether like everyone. So yes.

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 02-23-2017

Aether permeates -everything-. Even Garleans. Really, the idea of being 'aether resistant' or whatever and being immune to healing magic is entirely headcanon. Unless Sounsyy has some obscure piece of text from 1.0 to show me I'm an idiot.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 02-23-2017

Like everyone's already said, everything and everyone is made up of aether. It's the building block of life on Hydaelyn. And I can actually prove Garleans are equally affected by magical attacks by others due to the advancements in Garlean armor they've made to defend themselves from aggressive magi.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Garlean uniforms are made from revolutionary materials, such as carbon fiber and cermet alloys. The armor of Garlean officers is particularly ingenious, as it is coated with a substance that decreases aetherial conductivity, and therefor protects the wearer from magic attacks. The selfsame contrivance prevents the use of offensive spells, yet this hampers the pureblood Garleans little.
Gilded Magitek Armor Wrote:It only took a few heated skirmishes with the allied city-states for Garlemald to realize that the magicks wielded by the realm's mages were too much for even the thickest magitek armor plating. Alloyed gilding has since been discovered to dampen the effects of elemental charges and is now standard issue.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 02-23-2017

I'm digressing a little there on that last quote now that I read it again after like, the thousand time, but it seems to imply to me that before facing Eorzea, the Garleans didn't face a lot of deadly magic... Does that mean that Ilsabard states, besides the ones that immediately bowed after seeing the first ones conquered, had little if no magic as well?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 04:08 PM)Valence Wrote: I'm digressing a little there on that last quote now that I read it again after like, the thousand time, but it seems to imply to me that before facing Eorzea, the Garleans didn't face a lot of deadly magic... Does that mean that Ilsabard states, besides the ones that immediately bowed after seeing the first ones conquered, had little if no magic as well?

I think it implies that Eorzean magic was stronger than any they had yet encountered. Because we know peoples in Othard and Ilsabard have magic and can use it. We know Othardians summoned a primal. But we also know aetherial density is highest in Eorzea. We know Silvertear Lake is the fount of all aether in the physical plane. So it is theorized that this might make our magicks stronger than anywhere else. Hence why thick alloys and cermet plates might've dampened weaker magicks, but weren't enough to halt the destructive forces employed by our magi.

Here's a bit on Ilsabardian mages:
Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Survival was no small task. In desperation, the Garleans began to employ Roegadyn magi from the central mountains to bolster its own army where it was weakest. They also waged war from the shadows, sending spies to incite conflicts betwixt the surrounding nations. For centuries, Garlemald prevailed, using every tactic at its disposal.

On a side note, Ilsabard's central mountains are supposedly where Dalmasca is located in the current year.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 02-24-2017

Sounds good to me, seems to converge with my own feeling on the matter as well.

RE: General Lore Questions - Theoretically Ellie - 02-28-2017

Not sure if this has been asked before, but are cameras a thing in FFXIV? Like, could someone RP their character as being a photographer that develops film and takes pictures for a living? Just something I've been curious about. I've asked around, and I seem to be getting conflicting thoughts on the subject.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kismet - 03-01-2017

(02-28-2017, 11:04 PM)Theoretically Ellie Wrote: Not sure if this has been asked before, but are cameras a thing in FFXIV? Like, could someone RP their character as being a photographer that develops film and takes pictures for a living? Just something I've been curious about. I've asked around, and I seem to be getting conflicting thoughts on the subject.

I suggest giving this thread a look.