Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-12-2013

Hey folks, I've got a question about the Primals.  Namely, are they an exclusively Eorzean phenomenon?  Or are other parts of Hydaelyn a drain on the Lifestream as well?

RE: General Lore Questions - Naunet - 10-12-2013

The primals can be found anywhere there is a wish for them to be, Eorzea or elsewhere. The Garlean Empire's spread across the other continents of Hydaelyn is largely motivated by the desire to eliminate the primals.

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-12-2013

(10-12-2013, 09:51 PM)Naunet Wrote: The primals can be found anywhere there is a wish for them to be, Eorzea or elsewhere. The Garlean Empire's spread across the other continents of Hydaelyn is largely motivated by the desire to eliminate the primals.

Ah, I see.  Thanks!

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-22-2013

So I've seen a couple of references around here to a gem in reference to summoning Carbuncle.  Have I just completely overlooked that so far in my arcanist's story or have I not made it to that information somehow?  If true, then there's an IC assumption that anyone with a Carbuncle tailing them has one of these gems?  Topaz or Emerald, I assume.  If so, it doesn't break anything for me, I'll just need to make a minor adjustment to Lolotaru.

RE: General Lore Questions - Ildur - 10-22-2013

The gem used for the summoning of the carbuncles is only referenced in the arcanist description in the game's webpage. As far as I recall, there is no mention of it during the arcanist quests.
However, if you take a closer look at the summoning animations you will note that, besides writting something on the book, there are three gemstones floating around your character. It's just that they forgot to mention it or maybe they did but didn't call any attention to it.

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-22-2013

(10-22-2013, 12:17 PM)Ildur Wrote: The gem used for the summoning of the carbuncles is only referenced in the arcanist description in the game's webpage. As far as I recall, there is no mention of it during the arcanist quests.
However, if you take a closer look at the summoning animations you will note that, besides writting something on the book, there are three gemstones floating around your character. It's just that they forgot to mention it or maybe they did but didn't call any attention to it.

Ah, I see.  Thanks!

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-23-2013

I might not know this simply because I've not spent a great deal of time in Gridania, but who exactly are these elementals that they're always going on about?  They're not beastmen or Primals (at least, I don't think), so are they some other type of aetheric manifestation or simply nature spirits or something else?

RE: General Lore Questions - Ildur - 10-23-2013

The nature of the Elementals is never specified, but they act basically like some cloudy patron pantheon based onthe classic elements (Water, Fire, Earth and Wind) and are guardians of the Black Shroud. Gridanians revere them as forces of nature and they are the source of power from where Conjurers get their power (or at least the Guild), and it is known that they can drive the wood creatures into attacking specific people (this phenomenom is called 'woodwrath'). Gridanians will not help anyone victim of the woodwrath, as it's the "Will of the Elementals" that they be killed or driven off from the Black Shroud.

So, in a way, you could say they -might- be Primals, but aren't considered such. The game implies they are just some kind of force of nature.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 10-23-2013

(10-23-2013, 10:52 PM)Ildur Wrote: The nature of the Elementals is never specified, but they act basically like some cloudy patron pantheon based onthe classic elements (Water, Fire, Earth and Wind) and  are guardians of the Black Shroud. Gridanians revere them as forces of nature and they are the source of power from where Conjurers get their power (or at least the Guild), and it is known that they can drive the wood creatures into attacking specific people (this phenomenom is called 'woodwrath'). Gridanians will not help anyone victim of the woodwrath, as it's the "Will of the Elementals" that they be killed or driven off from the Black Shroud.

So, in a way, you could say they -might- be Primals, but aren't considered such. The game implies they are just some kind of force of nature.

I think the fact that they don't consume aether/require aetheryte crystals differentiates them from the Primals.  They also do not, to my knowledge, temper mortals.

RE: General Lore Questions - Goodfellow - 10-23-2013

Yeah, that all sounds reasonable.  But if pretty much everything else in the lore relates to crystals and aether, I wonder if/how the elementals do as well.  Maybe we'll get something in a lore-dump someday.

RE: General Lore Questions - Ildur - 10-24-2013

I would argue that they do temper mortals, just in a more limited way: the Padjai. They are Hyur children who are chosen by the Elementals, which causes them to be born with horns (for...some reason) and have a natural affinity towards nature and conjury. All Padjai we have seen in the game are dedicated to the Elemental's cause and unable to defy them. I'd say that's tempering right there.

If I had to speculate, I'd say the Elementals are some kind of aetheric pressence limited to the Black Shroud. That would explain why they have been weakened by the Calamity: their aetheric sustenance comes from the forest itself, instead of piles and piles of crystals like the Primals.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 10-24-2013

(10-24-2013, 04:08 AM)Ildur Wrote: I would argue that they do temper mortals, just in a more limited way: the Padjai. They are Hyur children who are chosen by the Elementals, which causes them to be born with horns (for...some reason) and have a natural affinity towards nature and conjury. All Padjai we have seen in the game are dedicated to the Elemental's cause and unable to defy them. I'd say that's tempering right there.

As far as I know, they are not actually Hyur.  They are their own race, and are ageless (effectively immortal?  They are able to be killed, but they do not get old and die).  It seems a bit more akin to the Greek stories of the gods placing their offspring in the wombs of human women.

Also, what about Hearers?  o_O

Quote:If I had to speculate, I'd say the Elementals are some kind of aetheric pressence limited to the Black Shroud. That would explain why they have been weakened by the Calamity: their aetheric sustenance comes from the forest itself, instead of piles and piles of crystals like the Primals.

I still don't believe they're Primals.  They seem to be something else entirely.

RE: General Lore Questions - Ildur - 10-24-2013

I'm basing myself on that they are Hyur based on this quote fromthis thread on the official lore forum (emphasis mine):

Quote:There was also a question about how a Padjal gets their name (considering they start off as Hyur).

There are several old Hyur families in Gridania which consistently (albeit rarely) produce Padjals. Those include the Senna, the Yan, and the Pesi families. (Note the family names still possess the Padjali linguistic roots).

Seeing how they are physically similar to Hyur except for the horns, I'd say they are indeed Hyur; they just have a magically induced mutation (or maybe you could consider them a subrace).

I have no idea about Hearers. My lore-fu is rusty right now.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 10-24-2013

(10-24-2013, 04:46 AM)Ildur Wrote: I'm basing myself on that they are Hyur based on this quote fromthis thread on the official lore forum (emphasis mine):

Quote:There was also a question about how a Padjal gets their name (considering they start off as Hyur).

There are several old Hyur families in Gridania which consistently (albeit rarely) produce Padjals. Those include the Senna, the Yan, and the Pesi families. (Note the family names still possess the Padjali linguistic roots).

Seeing how they are physically similar to Hyur except for the horns, I'd say they are indeed Hyur; they just have a magically induced mutation (or maybe you could consider them a subrace).

Well, yeah, physically...  I can't help but think, "Miqo'te are physically similar to Hyur except for the ears and tail."  xD

I think "subrace" is a better term, tho!

Quote:I have no idea about Hearers. My lore-fu is rusty right now.

Hearers are Conjurers who can hear and communicate directly with the Elementals (similar to Padjal).  Hearers are (at least according to the Conjurer questline) born, not trained.  All Hearers appear to have a natural affinity for Conjury, though if they aren't trained in proper use, they apparently draw from their own life force to heal others (which can ultimately kill them).  From what I saw in the CNJ and WHM quests, all Padjal are Hearers, and all Hearers are Conjurers, but not all Conjurers are Hearers (or Padjal, of course).

RE: General Lore Questions - Sev - 10-24-2013

Sooo, what are the big glowing orange crystals dotted around the world? Are the remains of Bahamut's 'Make everything explode' spell, hunks of Dalamund, or something else?

Also, IIRC Ala Mhingo is under Garlean rule, so would it be much of rare sight to see Garlean patrols out in the eastern ends of the Shroud?