Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-30-2017

(04-30-2017, 06:14 AM)Silfur Wrote: One of Sounsyy's posts mentions that runes and patterns can be woven/drawn into clothing to enhance/protect the user from the magic that they are casting, if I remember correctly.

I'm currently commissioning someone for a drawing of my character and I wanted to include the symbols he has drawn into the inside of his own clothing to protect himself and I was wondering if there are any in-game examples (images) that I could base them off of.

I think you're referring to this post where I talk about the myriad ways monks, black mages, and scholars of Nym enhanced their aether conduction via soft metals and patterns woven into the fabric or stitching of their garments.

Encyclopedia Eorzea: Savant’s Attire Wrote:Recovered from the Floating City of Nym by an intrepid adventurer, this garb was identified as being of Nymian design, believed to have been invented in the latter part of the Fifth Astral Era. An experimental uniform issued exclusively to the scholar elite, the crystal tubes attached to the forearms could be infused with the wearer’s own aether. This allowed the scholar to later call upon ready resevoirs of mana to amplify the potency of her spells, although manipulation of energies stored in such fashion is thought to have required a degree of control possessed only by the most accomplished savants.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Wizard’s Attire Wrote:A raiment of the black mage. Resplendent after two thousand years, this garb from the Fifth Astral Era is shot through with hex-spun mythril. Such innovations give away this seemingly innocent piece of clothing as the invest for summoning creatures from the void - that otherworldly plane which makes sport of the sanity of man.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Goetia Attire Wrote:Goetia attire was originally worn by high-ranking Mhachi magi who were particularly skilled in enslaving the denizens of the void. Though appearing featureless from a distance, closer inspection reveals subtle arcane patterns in the cloth - runes and symbols woven with thread soaked in the blood of pact-bound voidsent. These patterns are said to amplify the power of the wearer, elevating the destructive potential of the caster’s spells to truly catastrophic levels. Infused with such potent properties, the authenticity of the robes becomes glaringly apparent when compared to the many imitations merchant seek to hawk as genuine relics of ancient Mhach.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Tantra Attire Wrote:Only elders of the Fist of Rhalgr are permitted to don this attire. Though the thread used in its creation is the same as that woven into the standard temple habit, the veteran monks looming the tantra cloth imbue each stitch with concentrated energy, resulting in a significantly higher rate of aetherial conductivity. A monk’s chakras are thus greatly expanded when swathed in such material, but without the training required to moderate the excessive outpouring of aether, an unseasoned wearer would bleed out his entire life essence in a matter of moments.

I went to go investigate each of these outfits, particularly the Wizard's and Goetia Attire. I checked both the art books and in game rendering, and it does not appear that these patterns are rendered visibly. The Goetia Attire does have snakes stitched into the boots and gloves, and there's some sort of artistic pattern on the bill of the hat and front flap of the Goetia coat, but I'm not sure if that's what the lore book is referring to?

[Image: hs7csOe.png]
[Image: kJesxBF.png]

Otherwise, even upon closer inspection, I could not find any arcane patterns/glyphs sewn into the clothing. So this looks like an "in-lore" thing only, so feel free to render your patterns however you see fit! You could probably take image references (for scholar/summoner/arcanist specifically) from the geometries shown in the tomes? Sorry I couldn't be of more help! ^^;

RE: General Lore Questions - Silfur - 04-30-2017

(04-30-2017, 11:34 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: snip

Ah, thank you! Big Grin I knew I had seen that you had written about it somewhere!

I just found the part about the Goetia Attire in the lore book and realized that I really need to start putting page markers in. orz

My character spent time training as an Arcanist before studying Thaumaturgy and then eventually turning to the 'dark side' so it'd make sense that he knows how to draw geometries. It's a shame that they don't actually show the patterns and such. Sad I think they'd actually look really cool considering that Black Mages have a limited selection of cool looking gear. :/

RE: General Lore Questions - Jeanne IX - 05-15-2017

Two quick questions while working out my character's backstory.

1: Does Ishgarde own Coerthas? The three city-states I've been to (I'm only level 18) all seem to own the land in their surrounding regions, but it's my understanding that Ishgarde's gates have been closed to the outside world, so is Coerthas actually theirs or not?

2: Are all of the refugees from Ala Mhigo in Ul'dah poor or is it conceivable that some wealthier ones have fled to Ul'dah too?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 01:34 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: Two quick questions while working out my character's backstory.

1: Does Ishgarde own Coerthas? The three city-states I've been to (I'm only level 18) all seem to own the land in their surrounding regions, but it's my understanding that Ishgarde's gates have been closed to the outside world, so is Coerthas actually theirs or not?

2: Are all of the refugees from Ala Mhigo in Ul'dah poor or is it conceivable that some wealthier ones have fled to Ul'dah too?

1. I don't think most of the cities actually own their surrounding land. Not in the sense that they'd sell it. Their armies protect the borders. (Grand Companies). Many of the other locations are other camps/settlements/hamlets.

2. No. There are some wealthy and well-to-do Ala Mhigans. Raubahn is one of them. Sounsyy has some great posts about Ala Mhigo going into details. The Bloodsands are also one of the ways some Ala Mhigans achieved wealth. We just happen to see a lot of poor refugees because people with more resources wouldn't be out on the streetss.

RE: General Lore Questions - Jeanne IX - 05-15-2017

Thanks!

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 01:34 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: 1: Does Ishgarde own Coerthas? The three city-states I've been to (I'm only level 18) all seem to own the land in their surrounding regions, but it's my understanding that Ishgarde's gates have been closed to the outside world, so is Coerthas actually theirs or not?

Coerthas is still considered the territory of the Holy See of Ishgard. Ishgard did withdraw from the Eorzean Alliance roughly twenty years ago following the fall of Ala Mhigo and they did close the city gates to defend against a rise in dragon attacks and left their land to be ravaged by Dravanians and Garleans until quite recently. However, Coerthas fell under the protection of the four High Houses during this time, despite what little their resources stretched thin were able to accomplish.

If you're looking to learn more about Ishgard, there's a good amount of info at the bottom of this post.

(05-15-2017, 01:34 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: 2: Are all of the refugees from Ala Mhigo in Ul'dah poor or is it conceivable that some wealthier ones have fled to Ul'dah too?

Most Ala Mhigan refugees, especially those in Ul'dah, are poor or destitute. There are a few exceptions, but very very few - Raubahn being the most notable. There's multiple reasons for this:

The first is that prior to the revolution and subsequent fall to Garlemald, the King of Ruin spent the better part of five years executing any Ala Mhigan with noble blood and any wealthy families or merchants. So what few were spared the purge then either ended up losing their possessions during the Garlean invasion or were forced to sell whatever they could as refugees in foreign lands.

Secondly, it's been twenty years since the fall, and in Ul'dah many of those years were spent without access to any honest labor. Even today, many Ul'dahns perceive Ala Mhigans as lazy or unsavory, and deny them employment. Furthermore, Ul'dahns only measure a person's worth by their material wealth, of which Ala Mhigans no longer have any. They cannot afford the exorbitant price of citizenship, access to medicines, or the price of hearth or market stall. So most Ala Mhigans are forced to live outside the city.

So, it is entirely possible for a wealthy Ala Mhigan to exist in Ul'dah, but they have a lot of things stacked against them - and in the case of those few exceptions who did manage to make or maintain their wealth on Ul'dahn blood money (Raubahn, for example, spent over a decade as a prisoner forced to fight in the bloodsands), they are resented by their own people, most of whom have been significantly less fortunate.

You can find out more about how Ala Mhigans are surviving in the various city-states in this Ala Mhigan Lore Compilation. Hope this helps!

RE: General Lore Questions - Jeanne IX - 05-18-2017

Those links are wonderful Sounsyy, thank you!

I have another question that may seem a bit silly. What does the patron deity chosen at character creation actually mean as far as lore? I chose Azeyma pretty much at random when I started since I didn't know much of anything about the setting, but my character is from Coerthas so would that cause problems with Ishgard's devotion to Halone? Or is the deity choice basically just a birthstone without much to it?

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 05-18-2017

Yeah, it basically doesn't mean anything unless you want it to. I don't think any of my characters actually worship the deity I assigned them as guardian. In gameplay terms, the main thing it affects is whose symbol appears on your side of the chapel if you ever get a Ceremony of Eternal Bonding done.

It's not like a birth stone, though - there are already month assignments for the deities based on your character's nameday month (not their guardian deity):

January (1st Astral Moon) - Halone
February (1st Umbral Moon) - Menphina
March (2nd Astral) - Thaliak
April (2nd Umbral) - Nymeia
May (3rd Astral) - Llymlaen
June (3rd Umbral) - Oschon
July (4th Astral) - Byregot
August (4th Umbral) - Rhalgr
September (5th Astral) - Azeyma
October (5th Umbral) - Nald'thal
November (6th Astral) - Nophica
December (6th Umbral) - Althyk

You'll hear NPCs refer to this on rare occasions - for example, during the 2016 Valentione's event, an NPC referred to Aghural as having been born under Althyk's watch, because his DOB is in December. His guardian deity is Byregot.

RE: General Lore Questions - Jeanne IX - 05-18-2017

Gotcha. I figured it didn't mean much but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 04:33 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: What does the patron deity chosen at character creation actually mean as far as lore? I chose Azeyma pretty much at random when I started since I didn't know much of anything about the setting, but my character is from Coerthas so would that cause problems with Ishgard's devotion to Halone? Or is the deity choice basically just a birthstone without much to it?

It's essentially whatever you/your character ascribes to it.

Fernehalwes Wrote:The same can be said regarding religion. Each city-state has a patron (matron) deity, and most people in that city-state will follow the teachings of that god or goddess. There are, for the most part, however, no strict religious codes that must be followed. Some Eorzeans will choose to worship a deity connected to their profession (for example, weavers often follow Nymeia the Spinner). Some follow the deity associated with their nameday. There are even some Eorzeans who choose not to follow the teachings of the Twelve, but they are few and far between...and often will not admit it.

The exception to this rule can be seen in Ishgard, where they take the teachings of Halone very seriously...to the point that the church and state have become inseparable. They go as far as calling those who do not follow the Fury 'unbelievers,' and those who are found to have communicated with the dragons of Dravania (the mortal enemies of Ishgard), are branded as heretics and in some cases executed.

If you're wanting to know more lore about Azeyma you can find that in this link.

Hope this helps!

RE: General Lore Questions - Rinh Panipahr - 05-24-2017

What sort of names would Hyur Ishgardians have? Would they have Elezen-ish fake French names, actual French names, or just typical Midlander names?

RE: General Lore Questions - John Spiegel - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 12:15 PM)Rinh Panipahr Wrote: What sort of names would Hyur Ishgardians have? Would they have Elezen-ish fake French names, actual French names, or just typical Midlander names?

A run around Ishgard hyur names yields:

Redwald
Rothe
Herewart
Aelmer
Eustacia
Haimirich (said he's from Ul'dah but serves House Foretemps, captain of the Oschon's Raiders).

RE: General Lore Questions - Jeanne IX - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 12:15 PM)Rinh Panipahr Wrote: What sort of names would Hyur Ishgardians have? Would they have Elezen-ish fake French names, actual French names, or just typical Midlander names?
Surrounded by Elezen as they are, I named Jeanne under the impression Elezen naming conventions would rub off on Ishgardian Hyur. Now that I've actually been to Coerthas though, I haven't noticed many French-sounding Hyur, so I suppose it's still normal Hyur names for them?

I have another quick question. Or well, more just clarifying to make sure I understand things right? Is this accurate?
-Hydaelyn the Mothercrystal is located in the core of the planet.
-Zodiark was ejected from the planet and became the moon.
-The Calamities are the Ascians trying to get Zodiark to regain his power?

RE: General Lore Questions - Yian Kutku - 05-26-2017

Am I missing something, or are there no chairs in the Forgotten Knight?

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 06:35 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote: Am I missing something, or are there no chairs in the Forgotten Knight?

Nope. In fact, I think that's part of the running gag (or something) about why there's no RP in Ishgard: not enough places to sit.